3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got into a crash last night, would anyone now who is at fault??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 05:18 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Originally Posted by pearlite TL
HAHA are you KIDDING!!!! You need to ask a smarter PO... maybe one that knows the laws alittle more... You cant be sticking out in a intersection and get hit and consider it to be the other persons fault. ITS YOUR FAULT you were in the intersection of oncoming traffic. Oh and by the way yes if your car breaks down and you cause an accident YES you can be liable for it....dont kid yourself
I'm not kidding. If my car breaks down and it is on the right most lane, or on the curb, and it gets hit it is NOT my fault. I dunno what planet you are on. For example, If my transmission went out (knocks on wood) and I had to go to the curb with my emergency lights, especially by Texas law, if any car is on the curb you must yield too it aka you must go on the lane left of it if it is sidelined to the right. He is liable ofr a TICKET because he passed the line, but when he PASSES the line and CLEARLY you can SEE HIM THERE, and YOU STILL HIT HIM, means you did it intentionally or you shouldn't be driving because of your vision, lack of knowledge, etc... Would make NO SENSE if the vehicle on his right lane was blocking his car's view, BUT DID NOT HIT HIM, but the OP's car. Most INTERSECTIONS nowadays are FOOL-PROOF, regardless if he passed the line. That person in the car was either NOT PAYING ATTENTION, DID IT INTENTIONALLY, or something else. Likewise, if my car broke down in the MIDDLE OF TRAFFIC and you get REAR ENDED, YOU ARE NOT LIABLE. By most STATE LAWS, #1 You must keep a certain AMOUNT of distance to the rear of the car in front of you REGARDLESS, 99% of cases you would be at fault by hitting someone's rear. 99% of states law provides a YIELD once a car HAS STALLED on ongoing traffic with EMERGENCY LIGHTS.

And if it helps, I asked a State Trooper in Texas which are the roughest here. Also, I also asked my Uncle which is a PO in New York.

Only way I see this being OP's fault is if it was raining horribly or mother-nature caused the driver to hit the OP.
This case will either go 50-50 or OP's not at fault. Of course, we don't live in P.R to really know what would happen. It just depends on the lawyer you have. If your lawyer sucks - you lose, if he is good - you win, if he's in between, 50-50.

Last edited by TheChamp531; 01-21-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:34 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Ahhh yes, all the armchair lawyers (except for 1995hoo) are telling how they know it all. The truth is, no one here knows for sure, not even 1995hoo as he was very careful to explain.

The insurance companies and/or the Puerto Rico court system will decide.

OP, let us know how it turns out. Then we can have fun watching all the "see, I told you so" posts!!
of course. Every post here (and on all forums in general) is a personal opinion, albeit some are more expert opinions than others. If the OP is using the forum for legal advice, he's in trouble :p nevertheless the op solicited people's opinions so he's going to get them, whether expert or...bat shit stupid
Old 01-21-2010, 05:37 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
that's all nice and dandy but WHAT DOES THE POLICE REPORT SAY?

there is no way in hell he could be 100% at fault... so I will say 50%/50%
Old 01-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If its 50/50 i would just pay out of pocket. In california any claim over 750.00 is chargeable(goes on you driving record for 3 years).
Old 01-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One time i had to stomped my brakes cuz i saw a police at light and didnt want to run the yellow. I was even passed the yellow like by at least 1 foot..all the police did was drive pass me

lets say if someone hit me coming from around the corner and the police was still there, who u think the police would cite?

I honestly dont think he would cite me for not running that yellow even tho i passed the pedestrian line.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:09 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by JwongTLS
One time i had to stomped my brakes cuz i saw a police at light and didnt want to run the yellow. I was even passed the yellow like by at least 1 foot..all the police did was drive pass me

lets say if someone hit me coming from around the corner and the police was still there, who u think the police would cite?

I honestly dont think he would cite me for not running that yellow even tho i passed the pedestrian line.
I think he would log the facts and the judge/insurance company would decide who was at fault. Think the insurance company would let you off the hook because you avoided running the light? hehe.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:23 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by NOTSKERDD
If its 50/50 i would just pay out of pocket. In california any claim over 750.00 is chargeable(goes on you driving record for 3 years).
If you file it. Usually only assholes turn in the other driver.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:24 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Ahhh yes, all the armchair lawyers (except for 1995hoo) are telling how they know it all. The truth is, no one here knows for sure, not even 1995hoo as he was very careful to explain.

The insurance companies and/or the Puerto Rico court system will decide.

OP, let us know how it turns out. Then we can have fun watching all the "see, I told you so" posts!!
Lawyer here. Just don't know anything about PR law. That is why I was vague.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh
dude temme about it !!!!

i was in the exactly the same situation as the OP.....but on a X intersection....

how i wanted to turn left....and left only had 2 lanes....i was on the inner lane where the white line ends earlier than the other lane....now a big ass ford truck comes in the other lane....so not only am 2 feet behind but i cant see for shit.....

while at the light the perpendicular lane guy jumped his red....and he wanted to get in the opposite direction of me.....when my light turned green (i was busy kissin my chic ) and hence i didnt leave the intersection....and out of no where this dude came in front of me....missing my nose by prolly 3-5 inches.....i was FAWK !!!

guess the kiss saved my car
That is funny...
Old 01-21-2010, 09:21 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChamp531
I'm not kidding. If my car breaks down and it is on the right most lane, or on the curb, and it gets hit it is NOT my fault. I dunno what planet you are on. For example, If my transmission went out (knocks on wood) and I had to go to the curb with my emergency lights, especially by Texas law, if any car is on the curb you must yield too it aka you must go on the lane left of it if it is sidelined to the right.
That's the emergency doctrine and does not apply to OP's case-- OP intentionally stopped beyond the limit line, in the approaching car's right of way. In CA, that means OP is at fault.
There is then a question of comparative negligence if the driver with the right of way could have avoided the accident by moving over in the lane.

All this talk of lawyers and fault will mean nothing to the OP's insurer, which will make the final determination of "fault."