Sponsored by:

Good deal on an 04?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Elegance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do with a TL i found

Found an 05 6 speed TL with Nav, 28,200 miles black on black for $25k

dilemma is he sent me 11 pics of scratches/dents nothing TOO TOO big but enough for it to be considered fair condition, he already lowered his price from 26500 to 25 for me and hes helping me out and very honest (for what thats worth)

what should i do, should i try and get another 500 off to fix all the scratches or should i avoid it like the plague or do you think its already a really good price that i should buy it and fix it myself.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Pro

Let's see the pics...then we can judge. The dealer gave me $25K for my '05 6MT/nav on a trade for a new Type S. Mine was flawless, though, and had 23K miles.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Intermediate

Just for reference, I recently picked up an 04, Black on black, 6 speed Nav for 23k

Keep in mind that mine is Acura Certified and has already had a couple grand worth of crap done to it (at no cost to me) since I got it. (Both headlight buckets replaced, seatbelt issues, rubber trim pieces a few other minor things.)

If this is a private party deal, I would pass. If it was an Acura dealer I might consider it.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Elegance

Old 09-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Elegance

Originally Posted by Calebz
Just for reference, I recently picked up an 04, Black on black, 6 speed Nav for 23k

Keep in mind that mine is Acura Certified and has already had a couple grand worth of crap done to it (at no cost to me) since I got it. (Both headlight buckets replaced, seatbelt issues, rubber trim pieces a few other minor things.)

If this is a private party deal, I would pass. If it was an Acura dealer I might consider it.
no nav though and prolly higher miles right? plus i dont want an 04, too many problems ive heard of, and hes saving me money buy writing a cheaper receipt.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
IMO- humble as it may be (chortle)
Walk away- thats 2,000$$$$ worth of body and paint repair and black cars show everything-as you can see, and thats only in the pics- who know what it looks like in person

Buy a car from someone who cant park in their own garage??- doesnt know how wide the car is??- and you think you are getting a deal- not without a giant bottle of luvlube should you go near this car!!!!

Go back to CraigsList in cities near you- something you can drive to and see.
Call the local dealer and tell them what you want- they can do some inter-dealer searching. Insist on a warranty from dealer too.
Post a car wanted ad on CL too- its free
Old 09-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Elegance

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
IMO- humble as it may be (chortle)
Walk away- thats 2,000$$$$ worth of body and paint repair and black cars show everything-as you can see, and thats only in the pics- who know what it looks like in person

Buy a car from someone who cant park in their own garage??- doesnt know how wide the car is??- and you think you are getting a deal- not without a giant bottle of luvlube should you go near this car!!!!

Go back to CraigsList in cities near you- something you can drive to and see.
Call the local dealer and tell them what you want- they can do some inter-dealer searching. Insist on a warranty from dealer too.
Post a car wanted ad on CL too- its free

you sound just like my dad, lol the reason i think its a good deal, is that these go for 26-27k anywhere else, but i offered him 25 before he sent all those pics...im gonna show my body shop then ill prolly offer him like 24k, other than that ive already contacted my dealer and they wont do anything, they say im too picky and they'll never be able to find a black manual...i already posted a wanted ad on CL. and i live near no big cities so there's not too many TL's in the area that I can just go and see, there was a black manual with navi here but it had 47k miles for 28000 and it had tan interior, other than that i havent been able to find a 6 speed within 100 miles. thanks for the insight though
Old 09-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,027 Likes on 1,518 Posts
01tl4tl, agreed completely.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Elegance

just searched autotrader for 04-06 manual, and only found 1 within 100 miles, thats how its been for the past year of me looking

after my research this is what ive come up with...ball park

take the 100 nearest cars (roughly all within 4 hour drive time)

only 10% are 6 speed = 10

50% have Nav= 5

only 1 will be black, then i want black on black and lower miles for a decent price...not happening, i either have to drive/fly far, Settle on a car i dont want, or get a car thats overpriced or with high miles, ill choose to travel any distance for the right deal, if this car was in better condition i wouldnt hesitate, but its not
Old 09-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Pro

It looks like it might need tires, too. That car obviously hasn't been cared for at all...that's 100,000 miles of damage, not 28. I would probably pay $22K for it in that condition.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Elegance

Originally Posted by BG74
It looks like it might need tires, too. That car obviously hasn't been cared for at all...that's 100,000 miles of damage, not 28. I would probably pay $22K for it in that condition.
your right he hasnt put new tires on yet, dealership said he'll need some soon. thanks for the input, glad i asked you guys. ill prolly keep looking.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:34 PM
2017 TLX TECH V6

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Remember the Dionne Warwick song.

WALK ON BY.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lavo
no nav though and prolly higher miles right? plus i dont want an 04, too many problems ive heard of, and hes saving me money buy writing a cheaper receipt.

Nope - I do have Nav and it had about 8k more miles on it when I got it. - But its also a year older.

I wouldn't spend that kind of scratch on a private party deal when you can find one in better shape for around the same price as a certified used, thats all.

Especially with all the body dings. If he has that much trouble parking it, god knows what else has happened that you can't see.

EDIT - as far as how long it takes to find. I admit, mine isn't perfect, but it took less than 48 hours to find. - And I passed up another one before I took this one. (Actually, I passed up 2 - but one wasn't a 6 speed. Thats why it got passed up. All three were nav cars though)
Old 09-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Elegance

Originally Posted by Calebz
Nope - I do have Nav and it had about 8k more miles on it when I got it. - But its also a year older.

I wouldn't spend that kind of scratch on a private party deal when you can find one in better shape for around the same price as a certified used, thats all.

Especially with all the body dings. If he has that much trouble parking it, god knows what else has happened that you can't see.

EDIT - as far as how long it takes to find. I admit, mine isn't perfect, but it took less than 48 hours to find. - And I passed up another one before I took this one. (Actually, I passed up 2 - but one wasn't a 6 speed. Thats why it got passed up. All three were nav cars though)
well u must have gotten a good deal, whered u find it?
Old 09-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Intermediate

well u must have gotten a good deal, whered u find it?
The one I bought came from here:

http://acuraplano.mcdavid.com/

The other 2 were from an independant dealer in Dallas.

Keep in mind that mine wasn't listed fro 23k when I got it.

Thats just what I gave them
Old 09-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hell No!!
Old 09-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BG74
That car obviously hasn't been cared for at all...that's 100,000 miles of damage, not 28. I would probably pay $22K for it in that condition.

you've seen the service records for it?

my last car had a fair number of scratches and dings from the parking lot at work but mechanically it was in top shape.

if the car you want is that hard to find, take the time to have a mechanic check this one out.

if it is mechanically sound then which would be more costly, getting the dings/scratches fixed or travelling long distances to find the car you want?
Old 09-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
you sound just like my dad, lol the reason i think its a good deal, is that these go for 26-27k anywhere else, but i offered him 25 before he sent all those pics...im gonna show my body shop then ill prolly offer him like 24k, other than that ive already contacted my dealer and they wont do anything, they say im too picky and they'll never be able to find a black manual...i already posted a wanted ad on CL. and i live near no big cities so there's not too many TL's in the area that I can just go and see, there was a black manual with navi here but it had 47k miles for 28000 and it had tan interior, other than that i havent been able to find a 6 speed within 100 miles. thanks for the insight though
First, I'll ask again, where are you located, that might help? Sorry if you replied in the other thread as I haven't checked.

As far as buying a car that needs any body work, I agree with the majority. Why spend $24000 on a car that needs paint work? In my experience most spot paint jobs cannot equal the factory paint under close inspection, so I would stay away, and if you are as picky as you say, I would think you'd want a pristine TL, not one that has repair work done. I certainly wouldn't want one that was repaired, or spot painted.
If you find one that is not close, pay an inspection company to look at the TL and go from there.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Elegance

thanks for all the good responses and all the help. well i asked for some more pics, up close and far away, tell me what you think of all the dings now, one of them is bad but im getting the aspec kit so the one will be covered up for whatever thats worth. here they are, Thanks again!!

Old 09-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Elegance

I really want this car, as you can see (i dont want the dings and scratches) i just like the guy im dealing with, the location, its 250 miles away, which isnt too too bad for me, and i like the mileage and the price...but i will not buy a car in bad condition, but are these dings really noticeable do you think? because you could look at my car that i have now and not find much but if i really searched for it i could take pictures and make it look really bad. tell me your thoughts. or maybe i should just offer him 24 and leave it at that, im not sure what to do.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Elegance

I really want this car, as you can see (i dont want the dings and scratches) i just like the guy im dealing with, the location, its 250 miles away, which isnt too too bad for me, and i like the mileage and the price...but i will not buy a car in bad condition, but are these dings really noticeable do you think? because you could look at my car that i have now and not find much but if i really searched for it i could take pictures and make it look really bad. tell me your thoughts. or maybe i should just offer him 24 and leave it at that, im not sure what to do. i didnt want to spend 26-28 on a car to get low miles, this car gives me a chance to get a low mileage car for 25k with a cheap receipt so i wont have to pay as much tax (dont know how favorable you guys are to that or not) but hes savin me 900 in taxes alone.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
lavo- I can certainly appreciate you seeking the advice and opinions of other members on this site. However, along with the current thread, you started 3 other threads in the past with a similar theme. Please "recycle" your threads for future reference as opposed to starting a brand new thread, ok?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156993

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/movie-saw-157377/

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/2007-toyota-supra-164518/
Old 09-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
I really want this car, this car gives me a chance to get a low mileage car for 25k with a cheap receipt so i wont have to pay as much tax (dont know how favorable you guys are to that or not) but hes savin me 900 in taxes alone.
Here in Jersey, if the stated value of the vehicle is well below the book price, they will ask for documentation, not just a receipt from the seller. So beware, if the DMV in your state is on the ball, you may be paying the tax.

Sorry, but it seems to me you’re just waiting to see a reply that agrees with your thinking. If you want the car, it’s your decision, so just buy it and be done with the bartering.

Good Luck!
Old 09-09-2007, 11:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
25k for a nearly 30k mileage none A-spec TL with lots of damage seems a little too much...
When i was searching for TLs myself, i found a couple TL's with 30k mileage certified asking price 27k Clean title and no damage.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:33 PM
It's no limit Baby

at first looking at the pics without reading i was thinking "female drivers" but damn that guy needs to learn how to drive and take care of his shit
Old 09-09-2007, 11:35 PM
It's no limit Baby

oh btw i would abort,if this is how he treats his car we probally dont know what else he's been doing to it (drivetrain wise).
Old 09-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Instructor

to reitterate what turbonut said .. here in mass .. unless you buy the car from a dealer and have a RMV form .. you are paying sales tax based on BOOK VALUE .. not based on what you paid for it ... that is of course .. unless its from a registered dealer in the state

and to the OP .. i would stay FAR away from that car .. i can only imagine the swirl marks that car has .. especially being black .. i can almost guarantee just from the way the seller maintained the exterior of that car.. that the paint is a trainwreck .. i would guess you would need a complete paint job to make that car look good again .. theres an easy few thousand right there
Old 09-10-2007, 07:19 AM
Instructor

Does the seller have service records on the car. I think a car with that much cosmetic damage may not have been cared for under the hood. Just my opnion.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:30 AM
Elegance

ya im gonna pass on it, think i should make him an offer?

as far as the sales tax go NYS makes u bring in a bill of sale and they make you pay sales tax based on what you bought it for UNLESS its a ridiculous price but i could just say well the car is missing this and is damaged here, you know? im prolly just gonna look for a certified acura dealer and get a car from them, i just dont know what other crap they will charge me, i know schumaker in florida had a 700 fee for a billing fee and 300 bux for title, is it just me or is that ridiculous, anyone have a rundown of what the dealer will charge me extra, such as a place like carmax?
Old 09-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Instructor

dude - honest opinion...dont walk away from this deal, RUN away...hell Sprint away. This is really NO deal at all. I bought mine just over a year ago with about the same miles with Navi, brand new brakes, Tires, Air filter...bla bla from a DEALER in NJ (crove about 1hr) for exactly 25k.
I would only get this car for about $20k and go buy the extended warranty from Acura asap as this car looks to be beat to crap...i'm guessing by the outside this guy didn't keep this up too much...beat it up for 2 years and now wants to dump it...dude RUN away...not worth it....
And, yes like others have said...you seem to just be waiting to hear what u want to justify what appears to many to be a "stupid" purchase...keep looking, there are MANY TL's out there...
Old 09-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't get it.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
NO WAY. If it had NO scratches/mint then maybe yes. Especially a black car.

I HATE ANY dings/dents. WALK ON BY. I sold a 4 month old 06 TL, nav, mint with 4,000

miles on it for $27,500. Find an 06 TL, nav, manual with about 15k miles for $26k IF its

mint with NO DENTS/SCRATCHES.........
Old 09-10-2007, 09:32 AM
08 type-s

buy mine!!!! its in mint condition!!!! where are u located??
check my sig
Old 09-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 198 Likes on 68 Posts
some people just have bad luck *(i.e. me) I say beat em down more. It all depends on what your market is like. My local dealers don't even stock manual TL's. some of those scuffs may buff out and a good PDR guy can wook wonders on the dings in the metal. At least you wont feel bad when you get dinged LOL!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:43 AM
Advanced

just gonna add my two cents but pass on his car I know some dealers in NY that have a lot of certified tl's on the lot, I was looking for a nice used one, but I ended up getting a 3rd gen type S instead, not trying to advertise or anything, but pm me if your interested, everyones bringing back the 04 and some 05 lease returns, mostly 04's I've seen so far...
Old 09-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I understand you're trying to buy a wonderful car and in the meantime save some $$.. I think the phrase though "It sounds to good to be true" is right on point in this instance. If you're still set on picking up this car then go for it. I personally (assuming it's in top mechanical shape) would offer nor a penny more than $23K. I would first take it direct to a a mechanic for an evaluation and then have a top notch body shop review the damage. Regardless of how small the scratches might seem. As an owner of NBP trust me, You CAN see every little defect regardless of how small it is. I personally think touch up paint looks like shit and once you see this car in person you will see what I mean. However, that being said assuming their is was no previous accidents and it's in good mechanical shape. I would offer no more than 23, because with the few grand that I would have to put into her to restore her back to her original state the great deal that I thought I would be getting wouldn't be so great anymore.

Of course this is all my opinion, so do what you wish. Let us know how this turns out!

BTW... Most acura dealers will have your car shipped to you for a fee and if it's not what you expected (within reason), you have a leg to stand on as they offer warranty etc. so you atleast know what you're getting!

Also, please don't take offense to this or anything as I'm just saying this as a generalization. If you really worried about saving a couple thousand dollars and settling for TL which is in dire need of TLC then maybe you should look into buying something cheaper and you'll have something in much finer shape.

If you do decide to buy her, I wish you the very best and I hope you can save her from the obvious abuse that she has gone through in her short life. Seriously, can't fucking park in your own garage? haha

Ok that's my 2 cents on this thread!!
Old 09-10-2007, 02:02 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

I really want this car, as you can see (i dont want the dings and scratches) i just like the guy im dealing with, the location, its 250 miles away, which isnt too too bad for me, and i like the mileage and the price...but i will not buy a car in bad condition, but are these dings really noticeable do you think? because you could look at my car that i have now and not find much but if i really searched for it i could take pictures and make it look really bad. tell me your thoughts. or maybe i should just offer him 24 and leave it at that, im not sure what to do. i didnt want to spend 26-28 on a car to get low miles, this car gives me a chance to get a low mileage car for 25k with a cheap receipt so i wont have to pay as much tax (dont know how favorable you guys are to that or not) but hes savin me 900 in taxes alone.
He's not saving you ANYTHING on taxes. You appear to not understand how taxes work. When you go to get your new license tag, THEN you will get hit with the taxes (It doesn't matter that you bought it out of state). THAT is the way the State protects themselves from people trying to avoid taxes.

Oh yea, one more thing... That prior owner can't drive worth a hoot!
Old 09-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
By now, you are checking the local Acura dealer and telling them to search for what you want. Go in person and see the Sales MANAGER- have your financing in hand- not at their mercy- Call first and speak with MANAGER- that person is not on indivual sale commission-rather the overall numbers sold at the dealer

the Salesmans job is to get max amount from your pocket to his-- today

Everyone has it right on, that lease returns are coming in now and can be a score

Black is a pain to keep clean- expand your options

The extra fees-
Some, like transportation, dealer prep (washing) are negotiable items for pure profit
The extended warranty price is negotiable too
Others are set, like registration is whatever the state charges- if tags are current you only pay a transfer fee, like $15. The dealer has a regulated paperwork fee about $50 for their time to do all the stuff and get the car registered to you. In a private sale you take the paperwork in and stand in line at DMV hoping the car wasnt actually stolen or salvage
At the dealer sale- you get the reg in the mail!
Smog or Safety inspections are usually a little higher priced than on the street- but it is done for you at the dealer, less hassles for you.

Get the extended warranty
See the Inspection-Certification Report
Ask them to put the car on a lift (free) or take it to a private shop and have inspected $50
ANY car you really like, call acura care 1-800-382-2238 x5 6am to 5 pm pacific
thats acura warranty center-give them the VIN number and say you are looking to buy- any warranty probs or work on this car? not salvage in their records? any recalls open-need repair?
The dealer will also provide a full carfax for you- they have a major account
Good Hunting
Old 09-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Elegance

Originally Posted by ndabunka
He's not saving you ANYTHING on taxes. You appear to not understand how taxes work. When you go to get your new license tag, THEN you will get hit with the taxes (It doesn't matter that you bought it out of state). THAT is the way the State protects themselves from people trying to avoid taxes.

Oh yea, one more thing... That prior owner can't drive worth a hoot!

Everytime i ever bought a car or my dad did, brother did they went to the dmv like you would with another motor vehicle and pay what you got it for. at least NYS works that way.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Drifting

That is one of the worst looking TL's I've ever seen.....and that's just from the pictures. Black looks worse when you see the car in person. This guy obviously didn't care about the car....running it thru car washes that damaged the paint...something doesn't sound right with that story!!! Also, the guy can't park judging from the scratches on the fender and bumpers. The guy is a looser...and so is his car. I wouldn't buy that car for any price. The whole car is crap.

Quick Reply: Good deal on an 04?