Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gold window tint? Or fade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Night and Day

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Gold window tint? Or fade?

I recently had my baby broken into.. They busted out my rear driver's door window to get in.

I bought the car with the tint job already on the car. The rear windows all around (both pieces in each rear door and the rear window) are darker than the fronts and have a very subtle transparent bronze/goldish color.

When the tint shop re tinted it to "match" they did not re tint it the same and claimed the gold color was the result of fading. I could be completely wrong but I have never seen a tint fade over time to gold. I've only ever seen purple (My supra has faded horribly to purple).

Can anyone chime in? My car looks like a patchwork quilt now. light tint on the front. New dark tint on the back main door glass. Gold on the small glass piece and gold on the rear window. So 3 different colors on one side of my car. Lol!

They are re evaluating their work tomorrow to see if they made a mistake but I wanted to get some feedback on the "fading to gold" answer I originally got.

I wish I was the one who tinted the car in the first place so I would know the answer to this but I have no idea the % or the age or if its metallic or ceramic...blah blah... any input would be greatly appreciated

Sorry I don't have a picture example of the tint to help on the computer I'm posting this from but it is still "black" tint....just with a very faint transparent...gold..ish...ness. lol

SO you think it's custom or a fading issue?

Thanks, guys
Old 03-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Night and Day

Found an old pic that SORT OF show what I'm talking about...at least with the different tints, thought it doesn't look gold at all ..but now that main rear window (on the other side) is almost limo tint black

Old 03-12-2012, 09:37 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
It might be the metallic in the tint dunno for sure. As for "purple tint" Thats like that because of cleaning the windows on the tint side with a cleaner the isn't safe for tint, i.e. not having amonia in it. That stuff eats the tint thus causing it to turn purple. Just have the shop re-do the entire car so everything is uniform
Old 03-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Drifting

Received 407 Likes on 338 Posts
Originally Posted by CubanLynx84
It might be the metallic in the tint dunno for sure. As for "purple tint" Thats like that because of cleaning the windows on the tint side with a cleaner the isn't safe for tint, i.e. not having amonia in it. That stuff eats the tint thus causing it to turn purple. Just have the shop re-do the entire car so everything is uniform
that's because it was a dye, not a material. you can buy tint's SPECIFICALLY that have lifetime warranties about this.

at my old trim shop the bay door that sat in the sun the most had 2 samples. the lifetime stuff and the competitor. after 3 years our lifetime stuff was still charcoal shade, while the other was faded probably 15% and turning a tint of purple. pay up for the film you buy
Old 03-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Night and Day

Nono it's not purple. If it were purple I would understand it was a fading issue. And the work is being covered by my insurance so they will not pay for all windows to match.

My question again is about the GOLD coloring. Has anyone ever experienced a tint fading to a goldish transparency? (not purple)
Old 03-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Needs a 930

Received 759 Likes on 547 Posts
I have 2 layers of tint. The back is two layers of 5% and the front is 35% covered by 5% on top. No gold no purple, just black. I agree though it could be just a flawed batch and the metallic piece have become over exposed? Maybe? I dunno. Dosent sound like a fadeing issue. Just black that ish out. Goodluck.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:42 AM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OP, you might have the dark-brown colored tint rather than standard grey/black. I had them on my champagne 97 Accord and I liked them when I had it. I am thinking about doing the same on my '07 MRP (currently no tint); a local shop has that option, but they had to special-order them.

Good luck on your search; you may want to call other tint shops in town if you like that color. But even if you find the right tint, it may not match perfectly simply due to aging/exposure. =(
The following users liked this post:
gwai1o (03-15-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 01:43 AM
Night and Day

Originally Posted by NightRider_71
OP, you might have the dark-brown colored tint rather than standard grey/black... But even if you find the right tint, it may not match perfectly simply due to aging/exposure. =(
Fading is understandable and expected. As long as it is the correct color, there is nothing I can do about fading. I will update this with news. But please if anyone has anything to add, post it!