Going to test drive a TL-S tomorrow...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007 | 03:16 PM
The Golden One

Going to test drive a TL-S tomorrow...

So as some of you might have read in my few posts (I'm new here)...I'm going to be getting myself into a 2008 TL-S once the 2009 model's arrive. I work in the IT industry and plan to put $15-20k down and finance the rest at a decent percentage (I have decent/slightly above average credit history and it's extensive for a kid my age as I do a lot of card purchases that I pay off quickly). Also, I will not have ANY card debt when I get this car...just school tuition and that's it.

Being that I am really anal about being organized and like to think out every big decision I make WELL ahead of time...I'm going to be test driving the AT and the 6MT models tomorrow. The options I will be adding to the purchase when I do buy are the A-Spec Kit, Moonroof Deflector/Visor, Backup Sensor(s), and the 18" Sparkle Silver Alloy Wheels (not totally sure about this one and if they can still do that option at that time).

My question is...what should I or what should I not say to the sales man who will be 'working' with me? I'm 20 and this is my first dealership purchase...before this I've only bought private sale used or had hand-me-downs.

I'd appreciate any help I can get.

I have a guide from another forum (NYCMaximas.org) on how to properly figure out a target price, so I'm not really worried about that...I just need to know what else I should be looking out for on my first visit to the dealership.

Also, I live in Albany, NY...and there is only one Acura dealership within 100 miles of here (Northeast Acura in Latham, NY). If the salesman gets too pushy...should I tell him I'm talking to other Acura dealerships? Should I tell him that regardless? etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-05-2007 | 03:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Not familiar with dealers in your area, but I recommend AGAINST the moonroof visor. I bought one, and it whistles most of the time. I removed it in the first week.
Old 12-05-2007 | 03:38 PM
AZ Community Team

Keep your options open and remain aloof.

Let him know you WILL be buying a car soon.

That you haven't decided which one and that the IS350, G35, G37, 3-Series, etc are all under consideration.

Tell him you're interested int the TL and want to test drive, but won't make a decision today.

Don't get excited. Don't do his job for him by playing up the car's features or how much you like it.

Whatever you do, DO NOT get sucked into the emotional rush of the new-car, test-drive, great-deal-today hype. You ARE NOT buying this car tomorrow.

Oh, yeah - bring a friend that can pull you back to reality if necessary.

Forgot - be considerate. Since you are NOT buying today, if they are busy, arrange for a test drive for another day.
Old 12-05-2007 | 03:40 PM
J35A8

Mine doesn't whistle, but my rear suspension rattles. : (
A lot of dealers will give you a price, then you sign. After that they will try to tack on extras.
Old 12-05-2007 | 04:10 PM
Racer

Assume everything anyone in the dealership says is a lie until: (1) you see it in writing on a pre-printed form with a signature at the bottom, or (2) you verify it yourself with independent information.
Old 12-05-2007 | 04:12 PM
The Golden One

Keep the pointers coming guys. I appreciate the help.
Old 12-05-2007 | 04:28 PM
MY KBP IS BTR THN URS...

Be Willing To Walk , U Dont Need To Buy There Car. Also Check Other Dealers, I Drove Two Hours To Maryland To Buy My Car And Saved 4000.00.
Rented A Car 150.00 And The Car Rental Place Was Across The Street From The Dealer...
Old 12-05-2007 | 04:38 PM
Instructor

I too am from Albany and they have been pretty decent at NorthEast Acura every time I have been in there. Roz and Justin are very nice in the service department.
Don't tell them your plan of waiting til the '09 arrival b/c they will offer you every incentive and financing option under the sun to make a December sale when its typically a really slow month. You may get suckered in to buying before you are ready and it will definitely be cheaper when you are looking at a new body style right next to an '08.
Good Luck
Old 12-05-2007 | 04:41 PM
The Golden One

The guy would have to sell me the car for $8k for me to buy it now as that is all I have in my account at the moment lol. I'm not buying until I can put down a payment in the mid teens or even 20k. I could afford buying it now, but don't want to and will not because I don't want to have a $450/month payment. I want it close or under $250. I'm very stubborn so he'd have to work A LOT of magic and probably drug me to buy now. lol.

But thanks for the names of the service guys Ricky. What salesman did you deal with? Do you remember?
Old 12-05-2007 | 05:22 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ricky Vaughn
I too am from Albany and they have been pretty decent at NorthEast Acura every time I have been in there. Roz and Justin are very nice in the service department.
Don't tell them your plan of waiting til the '09 arrival b/c they will offer you every incentive and financing option under the sun to make a December sale when its typically a really slow month. You may get suckered in to buying before you are ready and it will definitely be cheaper when you are looking at a new body style right next to an '08.
Good Luck
Wait, the 2009 will have a new shape?!?? I'm about to stop shopping for an Acura if this is the case.

Ilya, definitely bring someone with you, it's harder for them bs with an older person present.
Old 12-05-2007 | 05:27 PM
Senior Moderator

The 3G Garage is a wonderful place:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94221
Old 12-05-2007 | 05:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
Wait, the 2009 will have a new shape?!?? .
Old 12-05-2007 | 05:40 PM
Race Director

ggesq, you've killed me. Wow, I didn't even know about this. Now I don't know if I should really get the 08 TL Types-S, and I am planning on picking it up this week.

Are there any real pics at least (I've searched)?.... I think I will end up waiting like Ilya.

Pizdetz.
Old 12-05-2007 | 05:44 PM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by ggesq
The 3G Garage is a wonderful place:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94221
I guess this is your attempt at a flame. You suck .

I'm not buying or negotiating anything. I'm just trying to figure out how to stay out of the guys 'MUST SELL NOW' mode. I already have all the info I need on how to negotiate. But thanks for caring.
Old 12-05-2007 | 05:50 PM
PMM 08 TL

ggesq, you've killed me. Wow, I didn't even know about this. Now I don't know if I should really get the 08 TL Types-S, and I am planning on picking it up this week.

Are there any real pics at least (I've searched)?.... I think I will end up waiting like Ilya.

Pizdetz.
There aint going to be no tls next year or the year after! I doubt they even going to make a manual tranny with the 09 TL! the 08 tls will retains its value!
Old 12-05-2007 | 05:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Pizdetz.

Take a look at this thread. There are some spy pics in the last pages.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151543
Old 12-05-2007 | 05:52 PM
Race Director

Ilya you should know this, or anyone else, Type S came out in 2007 for this shape right?

Maybe I'm better getting 2007, what's the major difference between 2007 and 2008?
I'm so pissed now for not finding out about this earlier, I feel like a schmuck.
Old 12-05-2007 | 05:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Maybe I'm better getting 2007, what's the major difference between 2007 and 2008?
absolutely nothing.
Old 12-05-2007 | 05:56 PM
PMM 08 TL

Ilya you should know this, or anyone else, Type S came out in 2007 for this shape right?

I'm so pissed now for not finding out about this earlier, I feel like a schmuck.
I doubt you will even find a 07 tls. Many dealers only have a few tls in stock!
Old 12-05-2007 | 05:58 PM
PMM 08 TL

theres a money wise factor! Losing its depreciation value!
Old 12-05-2007 | 06:04 PM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by jazz_123
I doubt you will even find a 07 tls. Many dealers only have a few tls in stock!
So am I going to have a real hard time finding a white or silver TL-S with black interior come August?
Old 12-05-2007 | 06:15 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by jazz_123
theres a money wise factor! Losing its depreciation value!

This dealer does have a few 2007s, so the 2007 will cost me less. What would you do?
Old 12-05-2007 | 06:27 PM
TL SL ML :)

This dealer does have a few 2007s, so the 2007 will cost me less. What would you do?
Get an 07 TL-S for 30k
Old 12-05-2007 | 07:21 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Ilya
So am I going to have a real hard time finding a white or silver TL-S with black interior come August?

Who knows?

One of the trade-offs of getting a late MY bargin is there is less of a selection. You might find exactly what you want and you might not.

On the plus side - WDP is the 1st or 2nd most popular color (it's certainly the *best* color), so there are likely to be more produced.
Old 12-05-2007 | 07:25 PM
The Golden One

Well my brother has a black 08 TL...so I'd try to avoid black...but as long as it's black, silver, white, or that cool blue color...I'm cool. The most important thing is the black interior. My gold car that I have now wasn't growing on me for a while...now I love it.
Old 12-05-2007 | 07:56 PM
Racer

1) make sure you do your research and know the invoice price on the car, freight charge, and be aware of all incentives, holdbacks, and anything else that the factory may be providing to sweeten the deal at the time of your purchase. If you are looking for a bargain, aim to pay at or under the invoice, but never above the invoice. Some people manage to get a few grand under invoice, but consider yourself lucky if you can find a grand under, depending on your area.

2) talk to people and see what they are paying for exactly the same car, and I mean the same color combo

3) know the language. Dealers may catch you off-guard by quoting a price that is a sales price and not an OTD price. Out The Door price = sales price+ freight, taxes, tags, dealer processing fees, dealer installed options. When requesting quotes, ask for an OTD price.

4) Driving 6 hours to save $500 is really not worth the time, just have some common sense

5) Props to you for saving up this much at a young 20. But think of putting down 10 and plunking the rest into savings, mutual fund, or investment property. if you work in IT and make good money, extra $100/month payment is not going to make a difference, but that $10,000, if invested properly, can bring more benefit in the long run

6) Ydachi! good luck!
Old 12-06-2007 | 09:50 AM
Instructor

Haha OK, let me know if they are giving them away for 8 grand, I'll pick one up as a winter beater.
Sorry, but I did not buy it there, just have service done there. I used to work for a big wholesaler downstate and got mine through him.

Originally Posted by Ilya
The guy would have to sell me the car for $8k for me to buy it now as that is all I have in my account at the moment lol. I'm not buying until I can put down a payment in the mid teens or even 20k. I could afford buying it now, but don't want to and will not because I don't want to have a $450/month payment. I want it close or under $250. I'm very stubborn so he'd have to work A LOT of magic and probably drug me to buy now. lol.

But thanks for the names of the service guys Ricky. What salesman did you deal with? Do you remember?
Old 12-06-2007 | 02:29 PM
The Golden One

So I went and did my test drives today at Northeast Acura in Latham, NY.

Before I tell you all how it went, I will also tell you that I went and test drove a 2008 Infiniti G35X at the Infiniti dealer down the road from NE Acura. Very nice car, and at 308hp it's pretty quick. It has some nicer features than the TL but those are options you have to tack on that aren't standard (I drove the best one they had) and I really would rather save that extra 4-5k. Overall though, the G is a nice car.

Now to the TL. They didn't have an AT TL-S ready to go (it had just arrived) so I only drove the AT TL and the 6Spd TL-S. The only reason why I agreed to drive the TL was because I wanted to drive an AT and then right after it a 6MT. Let me tell you, the 3.5 6Spd is ridiculously fast. I'm definitely getting a TL-S and not a TL, I will go back in a few months to try to see if they have an AT TL-S that I can try out. Earlier, I wasn't sure I'd like the red interior lighting on the speedo, dash, etc. However, after actually seeing it in person (and not on pictures online) I think I'll like it. It's not that ugly orange/red you get in BMW's/Nissan's but it's a REAL red. Make the atmosphere a lot more sports oriented I think. Also, I like the TL-S headlights more than the TL which is another reason why I'm getting a TL-S.

The 2008 TL-S is definitely my next car.

As for the salesman, his name was Moe. He was a very nice guy, we chit chatted about many different topics (not just cars) and I didn't even feel he was trying to sell me the car or otherwise pressure me. He asked right off the bat if I wanted figures or if I was just test driving for future reference. Once I told him it was for the future, he completely understood and just tried to sell me on why the TL is a good car. At the end, after I mentioned the 2009 and we discussed some stuff in regards to it, he even SUGGESTED I wait till the end of the model year to see if I want an 09 or an 08 and then even said he'd personally go with the 08 because it would give me a better deal, etc. due to incentives. Completely a stand up guy and I know for a fact I will be joining you guys soon.

I got his card and the Acura brochure and I'll give that a read tonight.

Thanks for the tips fellas. I appreciate it.
Old 12-06-2007 | 03:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Some dealers will change out the POS stock tires for another brand. I would highly recommend either the Michelin Pilot A/S's, or the Goodyear Eage F1 A/S's. The stock tires are crap, crap, crap!. It will make your first year of ownership so much more pleasureable! I have an '07 TL-S, and really like the Carbon Bronze Pearl (CBP) with the taupe interior.
Old 12-06-2007 | 04:14 PM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by S PAW 1
Some dealers will change out the POS stock tires for another brand. I would highly recommend either the Michelin Pilot A/S's, or the Goodyear Eage F1 A/S's. The stock tires are crap, crap, crap!. It will make your first year of ownership so much more pleasureable! I have an '07 TL-S, and really like the Carbon Bronze Pearl (CBP) with the taupe interior.
When I get my 08...I will already have 18" Axis Hiro's and a set of performance summer tires waiting to be put on the night I get home (I have my own lift, air tools, etc.) The stock rims will then be used in the winter when snow is probable. And the stock tires will be sold off for cheap. This is why I'm not getting the High Performance tire option on the TL. I'd ask them to sell me the car with no tires if I could lol.
Old 12-06-2007 | 09:24 PM
Pro

Moe sounds like a decent salesperson. Make sure you give him the business if and when you decide to buy. You may want to consider buying an 07 TL-S now if there is one available in your color combo, unless you are definitely not in any rush for a new car. It is kind of hard to deny yourself the pleasure of driving a new car though, especially if you can afford it. Since the 08 and 07 are the same, you WILLL save a few grand if you act now.
Old 12-06-2007 | 09:55 PM
The Golden One

Well I could afford to get it now and pay the $450 or whatever a month...but I'd rather wait a little and put a lot more down and have a lower monthly payment. Plus, I'm paying cash for my last semester of college this spring so...that's a bigger priority to me than a car at the moment. One more semester baby! Wooo!

And yes, I felt really comfortable around Moe. Around John at Infiniti...not so much. I felt slightly pressured for 'comebacks' as to why I was test driving now when I'm nowhere near being ready to purchase. Moe even took me on a 15 minute test drive instead of the usual quickie...out to some country roads instead of just city and highway...so I could get a real good feel for the car. Overall, Moe gave me a great first test drive experience (I've never test driven a car before).

Moe > John. lol.