3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting Pulled over with Tints

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 04:50 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A cop will usually not order you to roll up your windows. They will simply ask. "Would you please roll up your windows?" You do have the right to refuse, but you have to be careful how you word your responses as well as your timing of your response or risk the officers wrath.
Bottom line it falls under entrapment. It’s the same thing with opening your trunk. On the issue of entrapment the government must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant was not entrapped by government agents.
If your are good, word it right, and time it right the cop will most likely let you go, cause if it goes to court it, and ifyou know your own laws, it would be dropped.
Also depending on what state you are in, you are allowed a certain % tint, or a factory tint. In order for you to get a ticket, the officer has to match your tint to his tint guide, which most don't have, and is to much trouble to deal with. I've had my tints on my old car for 5 years. Been pulled over 4 times, never once got a ticket for the tint job. I was only asked once about it, cause I forgot to roll down the second window. But I never got a fix-it ticket for it.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Laxplaya11385
My parents live in Vegas and the car is registered and insured under their name (although i do pay for the insurance), so technically I could get 35% all around. A friend of mine (who is a police) said that typically , and correct me if this is false, cops' eyes tend to catch sportier cars, so they're more likely to get caught w/ the tints.
My advice to you is, if you're really that worried about getting caught, don't do it. Usually, the cops will give you a warning and then have you get the tints peeled off (waste of $100+).
Hope you make the best decision for yourself.

Or do what I do. And that is cover your tracks and never get rid of your tint.

FYI, I've had tint on all my previous cars:

96 Grand Prix: always pulled over.
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 : Once (3 years)
02 I35 Sport: Never
05 Acura TL: Once already (5 months)

Vette has no tint, and the GC has it but no problems in over 2 years.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MASTERBLASTER
A cop will usually not order you to roll up your windows. They will simply ask. "Would you please roll up your windows?" You do have the right to refuse, but you have to be careful how you word your responses as well as your timing of your response or risk the officers wrath.
Bottom line it falls under entrapment. It’s the same thing with opening your trunk. On the issue of entrapment the government must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant was not entrapped by government agents.
If your are good, word it right, and time it right the cop will most likely let you go, cause if it goes to court it, and ifyou know your own laws, it would be dropped.
Also depending on what state you are in, you are allowed a certain % tint, or a factory tint. In order for you to get a ticket, the officer has to match your tint to his tint guide, which most don't have, and is to much trouble to deal with. I've had my tints on my old car for 5 years. Been pulled over 4 times, never once got a ticket for the tint job. I was only asked once about it, cause I forgot to roll down the second window. But I never got a fix-it ticket for it.
It is not entrapment if they ask you to roll your windows up. All they have to say is that they, "knew with certainty that you had tint because they saw it before you rolled your window down," and you lose.

Why argue over a tint ticket? If it's illegal pay the damn fine.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:11 PM
Banned

Here's a little something in laymans terms about entrapment:

It is federal supreme court so it could be a LITTLE different in your state:

Where the government has induced an individual to break the law and the defense of entrapment is at issue the prosecution must prove beyond reasonable doubt that the defendant was disposed to commit the criminal act prior to first being approached by government agents.

Sure seems the cop wouldnt force you to slap the tint on your car.

(Yes it's a criminal case, yes it's federal, but it is going to be VERY close to what you get at home.)
Old 08-30-2005, 06:34 PM
matty's '02TL

A friend of mine with a truck did this because of all the problems he's had with the law; no mudflaps, dark tint, loud exhaust, etc. He installed a toggle switch hidden under the dash which temporarily shuts off power to the windows. If a officer of the law asks him to roll up his windows, he says "can't! they're broken! Here, i'll start the car and you give it a try!"

Going too far? Maybe..but for us with black cars & trucks, going without tint is like walking without shoes.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:45 PM
matty's '02TL

My thoughts on this issue are : It is unlikely someone would be pulled over many times for tint as long as that is the only noticeable thing about their car. (In California). I drive moderately and I have not ever been pulled over for tint. But I can see that if someone is driving aggressively, has a loud exhaust, speeding, HAS TINT ALSO, (and an attitude), then yes, it is likely they will be ticketed for tint. Usually, all of those factors together, (plus revving up your engine at a red light or stop sign) is likely to be the cause of a ticket.

Then again, A friend of mine was speeding doing 95 and was pulled over but complied and was respectful to the officer so the officer ONLY ticketed him for tint and not the speeding.
But that has to do with the mood of the person, I guess.

One thing is for sure. If you decide to tint your windows, be more aware of the way you drive.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:50 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=Mike_TX]Sorry, but this one floored me. So you're saying that cars with tinted windows are generally being operated by people with felonious intent? That would suggest that if a guy's license is suspended (one of your examples), or maybe he's stolen the car (another one), or his insurance got cancelled (um-hmm), he's going to hook 'em to the tint shop and get the windows tinted, right? WHAT?!?!

No, I am only referring to the new york area, where tinting is not essential. like it might be in a hot weather state.
There are other reasons for tinted cars being stolen. No stolen and then tinted, but because they are tinted , they are a more desirable car to steal.
A lot of vehicles stolen, that are stolen with the intent of using the vehicle, as opposed to stripping it, are tinted. A lot of times, cars that have deep tinted windows, have high priced stereos, high priced wheels, and other things, that make the car desirable to be stolen by young people.
Plus, a lot of these grand larcenists, feel if they steal a car with tint, no one will see them when they are driving, and will have less chance of being stopped.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:50 PM
Missing Machismo

ok just wondering legalities of tint -- Lets say im driving in New York with my car thats 20% tint --- would you pull me over and then realize that my car is registered in NM were it legal to have 20% or what is the "officers policy on tint registered out of state. Since i was military and moved constantly do I have to spend money to legalize my car in every state i reside in every 2-3 years?
" just wondering about the other side of opinions "
Old 08-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=Mike_TX]Sorry, but this one floored me. So you're saying that cars with tinted windows are generally being operated by people with felonious intent? T
Sounds to me like you're doing the no-no of profiling. And maybe even a little bit of pre-judging of folks before they've done anything. I understand a certain amount of that for your own safety, but I think it's your responsibility to witness an offense before you start taking police action.

If you read my post clearly, you would see I didnt say I stopped cars because they have tints. They are stopped because they are speeding, regardless of tints.
So, what I have found, from my own experience, is that a much higher then normal amount of cars stopped for speeding, and happen to have their windows tinted darkly, happen to have other problems, either with their licenses, insurance, registrations, alcohol in the vehicle.
Like I said, I rarely stop a vehicle, just for tints. You must read more carefully.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:59 PM
Racer

Flatfoot, I know you said you didn't want to address any more police issues, but I have to ask something regarding your statement about staying in the car unless told otherwise by the officer.

Now I'm 51 years old and believe it or not, I haven't even been pulled over let alone ticketed in over 25 years. But before that I drove a taxi and, needless to say, the police had my license more than I did

But back then, it was considered impolite when pulled over to not get out of your car as soon as you stopped and walk back to the cruiser. I was always taught it was sign of respect. This has obviously changed over the years, but I'm just curious about when the change happened. I guess I understand it, I'm just wondering when it seemed to happen.

BTW, at least 25 years ago, if you tried to pull that crap about refusing to roll up your windows with a Chicago cop you'd be lucky if your family could recognize you the next day. That's something else that's probably changed, but back then respect was very important.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLEXTREME
ok just wondering legalities of tint -- Lets say im driving in New York with my car thats 20% tint --- would you pull me over and then realize that my car is registered in NM were it legal to have 20% or what is the "officers policy on tint registered out of state. Since i was military and moved constantly do I have to spend money to legalize my car in every state i reside in every 2-3 years?
I am a military veteran also,(still in reserves) When on ocasion I have reason to stop a vehicle, with out of state plates, and I can reasonably assume ownership of vehicle or propriety of use of the vehicle, I rarely, ever give it a ticket, usually just a warning, unless its something major. Tourism is a major part of new york economy, and we sometimes have to put our best effort forward.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:17 PM
321 whp SAE

Originally Posted by flatfoot
I am sorry for your condition, but its good you can get the tint. Just be careful at night time, and double check when making turns.
Having an exemption, reminds me on when I was in grade school, and if we had a cough, out mothers would write us a note to the teacher to give us permission to such a lozenger. LOL. I know its not the same, but it brought that memory back to me.
I have never stopped a vehcile for tints , where the person had an exemption. And to tell you the truth, I have never heard of this.
I will find out about this, because sometimes I hear people give me a medical reason, such as glaucoma or other things, on why they have the tint(I usuually dont believe this on an 18 year old driver),
But I will now ask when they tell me a medical reason, if I can see their exemption, and if not, where they can go to apply for one, or at least see a doctors note, or a note from their mother. LOL
I will look into this.
like the note from mother comment. That's actually how I feel when i'm handing over the card..
Old 08-30-2005, 09:13 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
You must read more carefully.

Yessir, officer. I'll do that. Yessiree.

(But I still think you're all wet. Why would someone breaking the law draw MORE law-enforcement attention to themselves by driving around in a car with tinted windows ... when tinted windows are illegal in oyur state? I think I'd want to be as low-profile as possible ... but then I don't have a criminal's mind. )

Oh, well. I'm done.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:01 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=flatfoot]
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Sorry, but this one floored me. So you're saying that cars with tinted windows are generally being operated by people with felonious intent? That would suggest that if a guy's license is suspended (one of your examples), or maybe he's stolen the car (another one), or his insurance got cancelled (um-hmm), he's going to hook 'em to the tint shop and get the windows tinted, right? WHAT?!?!

No, I am only referring to the new york area, where tinting is not essential. like it might be in a hot weather state.
There are other reasons for tinted cars being stolen. No stolen and then tinted, but because they are tinted , they are a more desirable car to steal.
A lot of vehicles stolen, that are stolen with the intent of using the vehicle, as opposed to stripping it, are tinted. A lot of times, cars that have deep tinted windows, have high priced stereos, high priced wheels, and other things, that make the car desirable to be stolen by young people.
Plus, a lot of these grand larcenists, feel if they steal a car with tint, no one will see them when they are driving, and will have less chance of being stopped.

Come on, you're hardly going to justify tint laws with that. The only VIABLE comment is that it RISKS the life of peace officers. That's it. Otherwise they are all ridiculous claims that hold no merit in statutes.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:34 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by midas69

But back then, it was considered impolite when pulled over to not get out of your car as soon as you stopped and walk back to the cruiser. I was always taught it was sign of respect. This has obviously changed over the years, but I'm just curious about when the change happened. I guess I understand it, I'm just wondering when it seemed to happen.

BTW, at least 25 years ago, if you tried to pull that crap about refusing to roll up your windows with a Chicago cop you'd be lucky if your family could recognize you the next day. That's something else that's probably changed, but back then respect was very important.
Former southsider here! That is so so true. I was a smartass that happened to have a cop in the family. I used to get stopped at least once a month, ususally for something petty. Things have changed. I did learn how to stay out of harms way. Another reason I have not had illegal window tint yet.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:03 AM
Banned

i respect you as a cop
Thats all I could stand to read out of this whole thread. I dont respect you as a cop. I may be able to respect you as a man. but being a cop, all I can say is I hope ya die on a call. And Im not some lil bum, My 05 TL is paid for, is yours? lmao, Thats right, you work for respect, not $. What was the old song? F*CK THE POLICE!
Old 08-31-2005, 07:18 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cityboyblues
i respect you as a cop
Thats all I could stand to read out of this whole thread. I dont respect you as a cop. I may be able to respect you as a man. but being a cop, all I can say is I hope ya die on a call. And Im not some lil bum, My 05 TL is paid for, is yours? lmao, Thats right, you work for respect, not $. What was the old song? F*CK THE POLICE!
I'm not sure if you're joking around, but if not... you, my friend, are a tool. If you had any sense of respect, you would never wish death on anybody. I think that statement should get you as Acurazine does not need members like you.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Old 08-31-2005, 03:37 PM
I'm Baaack!

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Why would someone breaking the law draw MORE law-enforcement attention to themselves by driving around in a car with tinted windows ... when tinted windows are illegal in oyur state?
Why would someone in a lowered Caddy with limo tints 120 spoke gold rims and curb feelers speed up the NJ turnpike at 90+ with 15k worth of smack in the trunk??????

I don't get it either, but they do
Old 08-31-2005, 05:40 PM
Banned

Simple. It's not a serious violation and the cosmetic appeal far outweighs the fines associated with it. Simple economics.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:34 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ChicagoSteel
It is not entrapment if they ask you to roll your windows up. All they have to say is that they, "knew with certainty that you had tint because they saw it before you rolled your window down," and you lose.

Why argue over a tint ticket? If it's illegal pay the damn fine.
The only thing is if they knew then there is no reason to roll it up. It's in the end is all in how you word it. It's also why they are asking and not demanding.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:05 AM
Banned

The only thing is if they knew then there is no reason to roll it up. It's in the end is all in how you word it. It's also why they are asking and not demanding.
It's not how they word it.

If you have tints on your car, you have broken the law, by asking you to roll them up the officer hasnt forced you to break the law. The law isnt defined by WHEN they see it, it's defined by HAVING DONE IT.

I assume you arent in law school, or are an attorney.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:00 PM
Instructor

Simple. It's not a serious violation and the cosmetic appeal far outweighs the fines associated with it. Simple economics.
Exactly. It looks good so I'll take my chances.

In my experience, when you're doing something that draws attention to yourself, you're more likely to get pulled over for things like tint.

I used to drive a '93 civic with all that rice rocket stuff on it, lowered, rims, exhaust, subwoofer, tint, all of that stuff. That car attracted a lot of attention and I was a little careless with my driving habits. I was getting pulled over left and right. During one stretch, I got 4 tickets in a 13 month period and I was pulled over more times than I could count, more than 20 easily. I then replaced that car with a 99 civic which I left mostly stock, but I had the front license plate removed. I only got pulled over 4 times in 6 years, 2 tickets. The lack of front license plate was never mentioned. I was being pulled over a lot less since I became much more careful with my driving habits and I stopped doing things that drew attention to myself.

The tint on my TL is technically illegal, due to 35% on the side windows but I'm not too concerned. If I get nailed for it, so be it, I'll just have to deal with it.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:25 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts

that was very well said steel That goes the same for the front license plate we have to have here in TX
Old 09-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by TLEXTREME
Don't know about laws over there, but I live in WA and work in OR. I already checked OR law. It specifically states that the law only applies to cars registered in OR. Good for me, becuase WA allows slightly darker tints than OR.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:34 PM
10th Gear

Smile

It's not how they word it.

If you have tints on your car, you have broken the law, by asking you to roll them up the officer hasnt forced you to break the law. The law isnt defined by WHEN they see it, it's defined by HAVING DONE IT.

I assume you arent in law school, or are an attorney.
I think you keep missing the point. I'm not here questioning if it's illegal. I'm here giving advice on how to fight it. It's about technicalities. Even if one was to break a law one can still get off. Here is a more obvious example. I could be carrying illegal crap in my car. “Now not going into the whole antiterrorism side of it.” If a police officer goes into my trunk without my permission and when there is no apparent chance of harm coming from not opening that truck (Probable Cause), As far the letter of the law is concerned, anything he might find in the trunk would not be admissible. In fact the officer would be breaking the law and violating my rights. So one would get off. You can site Entrapment if you need too. The window when rolled down is in a state such that the officer can not see it. If it is rolled up without permission and with no apparent harm present I still could get off. If the officer had claimed that he saw the tint then there is no need to raise the window, give the ticket already. If it is only a hunch well then that officer is not allowed to (Once again Probable Cause). Hence why he asks. Now you can always piss the officer off to write you all sorts of other tickets. But once again it’s all in how you approach the situation and what is spoken. Cops have so much power that they can write you a ticket for just about anything. The only question is will it hold up court. If done right it will. Bottom line the less you say in front of the officer the better. And the more you know about your own states laws the better off you will be.
Now let say you forgot to roll your window down. Well in California you already have a certain degree of tint on your window. For health reasons, or whatever. Anyways If you live in California, according to my friend who was a federal officer now about to become a Sheriff’s officer, if they question your tint ask them to compare your tint to there tint check booklet. It’s just a booklet of tint films to compare the % tint. Usually they won’t have it or won’t bother unless you limo blacked out tints. As far as another technicality if they don’t have the booklet you can get off too. If it is less than 30% you can be stopped and be questioned on it. If your smart you will listen to some of the things mentioned above and if you still don’t want to believe it just go to your local DMV and ask for a copy of the California Vehicle Codes about $10 ( It will be a 2003 because the state is out of money and hasn’t printed more yet)!!!!!!!!!!!
I’m pretty much done posting on this topic, so if you want to keep responding, I really won’t.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:35 PM
10th Gear

oops. when I said "in my car" it was suppose to say "in my trunk".
Old 09-02-2005, 09:46 PM
Racer

You keep using the term ENTRAPMENT and I don't think you've got a clue as to it's meaning. It really weakens any other point that you're trying to make.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=MASTERBLASTER].” If a police officer goes into my trunk without my permission and when there is no apparent chance of harm coming from not opening that truck (Probable Cause), As far the letter of the law is concerned, anything he might find in the trunk would not be admissible. In fact the officer would be breaking the law and violating my rights. So one would get off. You can site Entrapment if you need too. The window when

Its obvious you do not know the law. You should get your facts straight and watch less television. A lot of laws have changed since 9/11 and I suggest you do some research.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
...If a police officer goes into my trunk without my permission and when there is no apparent chance of harm coming from not opening that truck (Probable Cause), As far the letter of the law is concerned, anything he might find in the trunk would not be admissible. In fact the officer would be breaking the law and violating my rights. So one would get off. You can site Entrapment if you need too. The window when...
Its obvious you do not know the law. You should get your facts straight and watch less television. A lot of laws have changed since 9/11 and I suggest you do some research.
It's better to follow what the law enforcement officers tell you when they pull you over. Bascially, I concur that they have the right and authority to do so...
Old 09-03-2005, 10:04 PM
matty's '02TL

This is all garbage. This thread was only started because someone wanted to know what we could do to help him prevent a ticket for window tint.
The last thing this guy wants obviously is a police officers advise.

1.Find a friend who is good with electronics
2.Have him install a hidden switch that kills the power to your windows through your fuses or other wiring.
3.When you get pulled over, your windows don't work.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by Back In Black
This is all garbage. This thread was only started because someone wanted to know what we could do to help him prevent a ticket for window tint.
The last thing this guy wants obviously is a police officers advise.

1.Find a friend who is good with electronics
2.Have him install a hidden switch that kills the power to your windows through your fuses or other wiring.
3.When you get pulled over, your windows don't work.
This means you would have to drive with your windows open all the time, because it is very easy for the cop to see the tint if they are closed, and then when he doesn't see the tint because they are open, he might be a tad suspicious if you tell him the windows don't work.

If they happen to be open when you get pulled over, then chances are he didn't see the tint so he won't ask you to close the windows, but what are the odds of all the windows being open?
Old 09-05-2005, 11:37 AM
matty's '02TL

If you are more careful about your driving habits when you have tint, (which you should be since it attracts more attention to your car), then you would be rolling your front windows down when you see cops.

The only windows you don't want a copper to see are the front 2.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:54 PM
Banned

Look, if you put a kill switch on your windows you're going to get a fix it ticket as well.

This is ridiculous, if you break the fucking law pay the god damn ticket.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:29 PM
Car Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boy this thread got retarded.

I have 32% tint and it looks great, you can tell their tinted but not enuff to get cops on my azz:

http://babyryan.aboutmybaby.com/view...hoto_id=643479
Old 09-06-2005, 01:14 AM
Advanced

In Hawaii you can only put 35% all around except for trucks and vans (you can tint the windows to 5%). The police department puts all the rooks(well most of them) in Waikiki so they do look for every little thing thats wrong with the vehicles that travel through there. I have 25% all the way around and got pulled over twice...for not having a front license plate. I think here its a $100 per window if they catch you for that. OUCH!

crosses fingers and knocks on wood hoping to never get caught for it!!
Old 09-06-2005, 09:22 AM
I'm Baaack!

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Boy this thread got retarded.

If you want the tint get the tint, just don't come on here moaning about getting a ticket .. be a man and pay it.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:55 PM
Cruisin'

I live in Texas, and I think officially there is a limit of 35% all around and as dark as you want on the back window if you have passenger and driver side mirrors.

However, here is a link to the TX Dept of Public Safety site which confirms that the annual state vehicle inspection process only tests the windshield and front two windows to have no less than 20% light emmittance.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/tint.htm

For folks in other states, would suggest you review your states DPS website to understand your options and what is truly enforced.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:02 AM
Advanced

hey thats what sun glasses are made for ! tint the world ! Just put the tint on and deal with it or zztop