Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting Pulled over with Tints

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 02:28 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Getting Pulled over with Tints

I am choosing to get 35% tints all around on my SSM TL with navi, i have a serious question that i hope can get answered if there are some lawyers or knowledgable people on this board that have a clue about law. if i get pulled over and roll down my 2 front windows before the cop approaches me, and hes looking around at my car to see if i have any "ricer" charachteristics, and hes like, roll up ur windows (to see if i have tints) which is illegal in new jersey for the front 2 windows. do i legally have to do that, or would it be violation of my privacy. Whats the worst that could happen if i say no. because id like to have a back up plan when a cop pulls me over and gives me a 60 dollar fine for having tints and me not being able to have my car tinted again.
thanks for all the responses in advance
Old 08-30-2005, 07:39 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
you have to do what the officer requests, since tinted front windows are illegal.. that gives him every right to see them. If it makes you feel better, I have 35% tint all around on my 03 TLS and haven't gotten pulled over since I had them put on 2 years ago.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:47 AM
321 whp SAE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THIS IS WHAT YOU DO.. I live in NJ and have 20% all around. I have a window film exemption. I actually have a card that says i'm allowed to have the tint, even on the windshield (though I don't, kinda stupid). Call 609.292.7500 motor vehicles. you want to be connected to the medical unit. When you get someone on the phone from the medical unit. Ask them to send you a window film exemption form. When you get this form, you need to have a doctor sign it and give some sort of reasoning. << pretty simple. Then you send it back, and they send you the card. It's worth it. When I get pulled over.. BAM I show them the card, and they apologize and let me go on my way..
Old 08-30-2005, 07:51 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
I don't understand this. If the LAW states that you can't have more than a certain percentage of tint on your windows, why would you try to avoid it? If you get pulled over knowing that the tint you put on your car is illegal, then you should get a ticket.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:05 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
I don't understand this. If the LAW states that you can't have more than a certain percentage of tint on your windows, why would you try to avoid it? If you get pulled over knowing that the tint you put on your car is illegal, then you should get a ticket.
In a couple of months, he'll get a ticket and we'll see a thread entitled "Mean Ol' Cop Gave Me a Ticket For My Tint".
Old 08-30-2005, 08:18 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Old 08-30-2005, 08:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
(to see if i have tints) which is illegal in new jersey for the front 2 windows.
You can only have tint on your rear windows in NJ???! That would look F*ucked UP!!
Old 08-30-2005, 08:24 AM
Team NightHawk VP

i believe that you have the right to not roll up the window. but then u have to fight it in court because he will most likely not give u a warning. those cops will find another way to give u a ticket.

i dont have front tints on my car, but last time i got pulled over for front plate, and after he said he was giving me a warning, he said to me, "do you have any front tints?"

i was like nope, look....and i rolled up my window. in my town they harass people with rims and exhaust.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am choosing to get 35% tints all around on my SSM TL with navi, i have a serious question that i hope can get answered if there are some lawyers or knowledgable people on this board that have a clue about law. if i get pulled over and roll down my 2 front windows before the cop approaches me, and hes looking around at my car to see if i have any "ricer" charachteristics, and hes like, roll up ur windows (to see if i have tints) which is illegal in new jersey for the front 2 windows. do i legally have to do that, or would it be violation of my privacy. Whats the worst that could happen if i say no. because id like to have a back up plan when a cop pulls me over and gives me a 60 dollar fine for having tints and me not being able to have my car tinted again.
thanks for all the responses in advance

With that one you are pretty much SOL. The cop will give you a ticket. YOu can go to court and talk to the prosecutor. IN some cases if they are cool , they will ask you if you pulled the tint off. IF you say yes they will drop the ticket. you can try that but other than that you are SOL.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:59 AM
321 whp SAE

GET THE EXEMPTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2005, 10:09 AM
I slow down for COPS

Talking

or tell the cop that your windows are power, you drive a piece of $hit Acura and they broke. Cannot roll them up.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:33 AM
Drifting

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts
If you refuse to roll up the window citing privacy rights, get ready for an assload of other fines. Bottom line, is cooperate as best as possible. And yeah, if it is illegal, then you deserve a ticket. Tinting laws are there to make sure you can see at night, but also so that an officer walking up to your window can clearly see in the vehicle. Police are worried about there own safety (Especially in Jersey)
Old 08-30-2005, 10:49 AM
6MT & LSD

It's the same in MI - you can completely black out the back three, but can't have any tint (except for a small strip, which would look gay) on the front three.

But as far as this tint law is concerned, the cops seem to agree that they have better shit to do than enforce this - to an extent. The general rule is, if the cops can see into your car, they won't bother, unless you're driving like an ass or something. So they only crack down on the 20% or darker tints... Everyone I know with 20% or darker got ticketed soon or later, yet those with 35% have never been bothered... it might be the same way in other states, too.

If they're dicks about it, then you really are SOL... cops hate smartasses with a passion, especially when it's a teen w/ a nice car. You could try getting a doctor's note, or see if the tint shop offers insurance, where they'll redo your tint when/if you get a ticket.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:53 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
You have a $35,000 car and are worried about the occasional $60 fine? Suck it up, respect the officer, and pay the fine if you choose to tint. Don't make his or your life more difficult over $60. That's a tank of gas these days.

I've been tinting my cars for years, and I've been pulled over for it 3 or 4 times, I just suck it up and pay...
Old 08-30-2005, 12:02 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Originally Posted by soopa
You have a $35,000 car and are worried about the occasional $60 fine? Suck it up, respect the officer, and pay the fine if you choose to tint. Don't make his or your life more difficult over $60. That's a tank of gas these days.

I've been tinting my cars for years, and I've been pulled over for it 3 or 4 times, I just suck it up and pay...
isn't that illegal? i thought it would become a repeated offense, if the officer sees that you have repeated tinting offenses can't they take away ur license or increase the fine drastically.

AS FOR the exemption, i actually looked into that and it states you MUST have a medical excuse and you must have 1 of the (i think) 7 conditions that they list, if you don't then you can't get it, because a doctor must fill out the form then its reviewed by the state and then they send you a card or a denial letter. and i don't think that would fly with my mom lol.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by te3point5
If you refuse to roll up the window citing privacy rights, get ready for an assload of other fines. Bottom line, is cooperate as best as possible. And yeah, if it is illegal, then you deserve a ticket. Tinting laws are there to make sure you can see at night, but also so that an officer walking up to your window can clearly see in the vehicle. Police are worried about there own safety (Especially in Jersey)
To answer your question, (As I could possibly be the one pulling you over , in you were in new york city LOL ), an officer has control of the complete situation on a car stop, especially when it comes to a safety inspection. I can check your tires, ask you to operate any piece of safety equipment on the vehicle, on certain types of vehicles, I can ask to see such equipment as flares, fire extinguishers and much more. I can ask to see types of permits, and check the trunk if I have suspension.
Also, if we are making a traffic stop, and cant see in the vehicle, it makes us very nervous, and we do care about our safety. Procedures, dicate at a vehcile stop, that you do not come out of the car, unless we tell you. So when we approach the vehicle, how are we to see, if a weapon is being pointed at us, drugs are being hidden, how many people are in vehicle, what actions, driver is performing. Not a good idea.
Generally we are too busy, and way too undermanned to stop vehicles for just tinting, unless the vehicle has been called by our attention by other factors.
Generally, the darker the tint on a car, the more reckless the vehicle is being operated, and the greater the chance the driver has a suspended licence or no insurance, or vehicle has been stolen.
There is a reason for this tinting law. I have seen too many people hit head on, while crossing a street at night, by a vehicle making a left or right turn, and not spotting the pedestrian, because of the tint. The law is their to prevent this.
Also, you dont think this can happen to you, but hit someone in a vehicle, where your tints are above specification, and you will be screwed in court, left and right, whether or not, the tintis attributed to the accident. It will be assumed it did.
I generally give people a warning about the tints first, and explain to them why they are not a good idea. If I see them again(and this happens all the time), then I write them up, for everything I can find.

Thanks
Old 08-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

when you give them a warning, do you let them go or do u tell them to take them off but don't ticket them?
Old 08-30-2005, 01:27 PM
Instructor

tinting

when you give them a warning, do you let them go or do u tell them to take them off but don't ticket them?
Like, in life, nothing is set in stone. There are variables, on this. For most law enforcement officers, the attitude and dispositon of the person you are talking with is a consideration.
We are working people, and we understand human behavior. If you are a smart mouth, and tell us, "you dont know who my father is, and he will get you fired", then it becomes a different situation.
If you are a wise ass, and refuse to turn the radio off, when I am speaking with you, or wont stop your cell phone conversation, it makes the situation different.
To directly answer your question, I almost never ask them to remove the tinting, because I prefer they do this at home, so as not to ruin the vehicle, or to disrupt their egos, especially if its in a busy place, or they got friends with them. I prefer people to always have their dignity, as I should have mine.
But be a complet idiot, and I will ask you to remove it, or will have the car impounded if refused.
A lot of people I think, do not even know about the tinting. They go to strauss or another car place, buy that cheap crap, and glue it on.
Then you have the ones, that you know they know its illegal, but say they dont know.
I almost always give the benefit of the doubt, since I am not a mind reader, and cant play god. But I do instruct them on why it has to be removed, and make them repeat it to me, as I know it is confirmed. I make a private notation for a warning, so if I see the vehicle again, withing a few weeks, I can identify the vehicle. And this happens over and over and over again.
I would love to have my tl tinted and think it looks great, but I do understand the safety factor first hand.
I purchased a mini van a few years back, that had legal tinting for my state. But I found on nights with poor visiblilty, I had to roll my side windows down, when making turns, to be absolutely safe for pedestrians. I took them off, the front side windows, and left them on the middle and rear windows, for security reasons.
One thing I can tell you, and you probably know, ususally the darker the tint, the faster and more unsafe a vehicle is being driven.
When I make a stop, for a speeder, and the windows are darkly tinted, almost always, the operator has a suspended or no license, no insurance, no identification, warrents outstanding, stolen vehicle. It seems to always be something of the above. It is not a good situation.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:32 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by flatfoot
To answer your question, (As I could possibly be the one pulling you over , in you were in new york city LOL ), an officer has control of the complete situation on a car stop, especially when it comes to a safety inspection. I can check your tires, ask you to operate any piece of safety equipment on the vehicle, on certain types of vehicles, I can ask to see such equipment as flares, fire extinguishers and much more. I can ask to see types of permits, and check the trunk if I have suspension.
Also, if we are making a traffic stop, and cant see in the vehicle, it makes us very nervous, and we do care about our safety. Procedures, dicate at a vehcile stop, that you do not come out of the car, unless we tell you. So when we approach the vehicle, how are we to see, if a weapon is being pointed at us, drugs are being hidden, how many people are in vehicle, what actions, driver is performing. Not a good idea.
Generally we are too busy, and way too undermanned to stop vehicles for just tinting, unless the vehicle has been called by our attention by other factors.
Generally, the darker the tint on a car, the more reckless the vehicle is being operated, and the greater the chance the driver has a suspended licence or no insurance, or vehicle has been stolen.
There is a reason for this tinting law. I have seen too many people hit head on, while crossing a street at night, by a vehicle making a left or right turn, and not spotting the pedestrian, because of the tint. The law is their to prevent this.
Also, you dont think this can happen to you, but hit someone in a vehicle, where your tints are above specification, and you will be screwed in court, left and right, whether or not, the tintis attributed to the accident. It will be assumed it did.
I generally give people a warning about the tints first, and explain to them why they are not a good idea. If I see them again(and this happens all the time), then I write them up, for everything I can find.

Thanks
I agree with this paragraph whole-heartedly. It's more of a safety thing than anything else. If I'm walking across the street, and someone hits me because they have tints and they couldn't see me, the judge is going to ask WHY you didn't see me, and then you're screwed, and I collect millions while you are in financial ruin.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:41 PM
321 whp SAE

Flatfoot- good advice.. My exemption is actually for a skin condition I have which actually sucks.. Loss of pigment for no reason, so my risk for skin cancer is very high if exposed to any sun. I myself actually do find it a little difficult to see at night while making turns. It's fine during the day though. Overall, I like the way the tint looks, but I actually DO need it, and when police officers see my exemption card AND my skin, they understand. So all you little 17 yr olds trying to be cool, I would recommend you just do the rears and find something else you can add to the car..
Old 08-30-2005, 01:43 PM
Instructor

tints

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
I agree with this paragraph whole-heartedly. It's more of a safety thing than anything else. If I'm walking across the street, and someone hits me because they have tints and they couldn't see me, the judge is going to ask WHY you didn't see me, and then you're screwed, and I collect millions while you are in financial ruin.
Heres just an interesting fact, that you may not realize. Almost 80 percent of pedestrians who get struck by a moving vehicle, do not have a operator permit.
Pedestrians, think that vehicle operators, see everything going on. They feel , that if they can see you, you can see them. Licensed drivers, know this to be untrue, and I think more cautious, when pedestrians.
So the tinting, would just add to this situation, especially with reaction time, on when first seeing the pedestrian, or other object, and their alloted time to react before impact.
If, the object is not seen, because of tints, first indication driver has, of an impending disaster, is the collision.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:44 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

"all you little 17 yr olds"??

a good amount of people on this board have there windows tinted, and alot of them are in there 20's few teens, i hate when people direct all of these attacks towards teenagers.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:53 PM
Instructor

exemptions

Originally Posted by bklynpanman
Flatfoot- good advice.. My exemption is actually for a skin condition I have which actually sucks.. Loss of pigment for no reason, so my risk for skin cancer is very high if exposed to any sun. I myself actually do find it a little difficult to see at night while making turns. It's fine during the day though. Overall, I like the way the tint looks, but I actually DO need it, and when police officers see my exemption card AND my skin, they understand. So all you little 17 yr olds trying to be cool, I would recommend you just do the rears and find something else you can add to the car..
I am sorry for your condition, but its good you can get the tint. Just be careful at night time, and double check when making turns.
Having an exemption, reminds me on when I was in grade school, and if we had a cough, out mothers would write us a note to the teacher to give us permission to such a lozenger. LOL. I know its not the same, but it brought that memory back to me.
I have never stopped a vehcile for tints , where the person had an exemption. And to tell you the truth, I have never heard of this.
I will find out about this, because sometimes I hear people give me a medical reason, such as glaucoma or other things, on why they have the tint(I usuually dont believe this on an 18 year old driver),
But I will now ask when they tell me a medical reason, if I can see their exemption, and if not, where they can go to apply for one, or at least see a doctors note, or a note from their mother. LOL
I will look into this.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:00 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

I am sorry for your condition, but its good you can get the tint. Just be careful at night time, and double check when making turns.
Having an exemption, reminds me on when I was in grade school, and if we had a cough, out mothers would write us a note to the teacher to give us permission to such a lozenger. LOL. I know its not the same, but it brought that memory back to me.
I have never stopped a vehcile for tints , where the person had an exemption. And to tell you the truth, I have never heard of this.
I will find out about this, because sometimes I hear people give me a medical reason, such as glaucoma or other things, on why they have the tint(I usuually dont believe this on an 18 year old driver),
But I will now ask when they tell me a medical reason, if I can see their exemption, and if not, where they can go to apply for one, or at least see a doctors note, or a note from their mother. LOL
I will look into this.
flatfoot, it is true about the exemption, atleast in new jersey
Old 08-30-2005, 02:04 PM
Instructor

tints

flatfoot, it is true about the exemption, atleast in new jersey
Oh, I didnt mean to give the impression, I dont believe about the exemption. Its just something I wasnt aware of , and going to find out more info, as pertaining to new york state and new york city law, so I can be more informed for the people of new york, that I have sworn an oath to protect and defend, and which I do so with all my efforts, especially post 9/11.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:08 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not everyone can get an exemption though. Just roll your fronts down when you see a cop. Also, put $60 in a jar on your dresser for your first tintS tickets
Old 08-30-2005, 02:08 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Oh, I didnt mean to give the impression, I dont believe about the exemption. Its just something I wasnt aware of , and going to find out more info, as pertaining to new york state and new york city law, so I can be more informed for the people of new york, that I have sworn an oath to protect and defend, and which I do so with all my efforts, especially post 9/11.
not to storm off topic, but when you see a 17 year old kid driving a TL, or a BENZ or a LEXUS and you see that the registration is in their parents name. what do you make of it? do you automatically assume...little rich kid gets car from his parents so you go harder on them then you would a regular person?
Old 08-30-2005, 02:39 PM
Instructor

not to storm off topic, but when you see a 17 year old kid driving a TL, or a BENZ or a LEXUS and you see that the registration is in their parents name. what do you make of it? do you automatically assume...little rich kid gets car from his parents so you go harder on them then you would a regular person?
You my friend have a problem. I am not much older then you. I dont care what kind of car you are driving, or who owns it. What I care about is that a vehicle is being driven legally and responsibly.
But from your original post, it seems like you have an attitude already. You are already stating, I know I will do something that will break the law, but how can I get around it, if caught.
That is an immature thing to do, and I am sure if I ever stopped you, you would be behaving immature. So please grow up, and live within the law. If you dont like the law, register to vote, and change the laws. Start organizations, so that you can get the city council, to allow people to put 100 percent tint on windows.
I dont care one way or another. I enforce the laws that the good people of new york have voted on.
Unknown to you, we dont live in a democracy. I dont know why people think that. It is untrue. We have democratic notions, but live in a representative republic . . You elect people who represent you. So get your representative, to change the law, and I will enforce whatever they decide on.
If the law says every car, must have 22 inch dubs, with spinners on them, then I will enforce this on cars that dont.
You seem to have a chip on your shoulder, but you will mature, or become a menace to society, or be a very unhappy adult. It is up to you.
I will no longer entertain policing issues. I was responding to a query, and did not want to take it down this road. Sorry if this offends anyone.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:52 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
You my friend have a problem. I am not much older then you. I dont care what kind of car you are driving, or who owns it. What I care about is that a vehicle is being driven legally and responsibly.
But from your original post, it seems like you have an attitude already. You are already stating, I know I will do something that will break the law, but how can I get around it, if caught.
That is an immature thing to do, and I am sure if I ever stopped you, you would be behaving immature. So please grow up, and live within the law. If you dont like the law, register to vote, and change the laws. Start organizations, so that you can get the city council, to allow people to put 100 percent tint on windows.
I dont care one way or another. I enforce the laws that the good people of new york have voted on.
Unknown to you, we dont live in a democracy. I dont know why people think that. It is untrue. We have democratic notions, but live in a representative republic . . You elect people who represent you. So get your representative, to change the law, and I will enforce whatever they decide on.
If the law says every car, must have 22 inch dubs, with spinners on them, then I will enforce this on cars that dont.
You seem to have a chip on your shoulder, but you will mature, or become a menace to society, or be a very unhappy adult. It is up to you.
I will no longer entertain policing issues. I was responding to a query, and did not want to take it down this road. Sorry if this offends anyone.
Thanks for the information flatfoot. I admire your professionalism and patience. Nice to get accurate facts from the 'other side' of the issue. Hope some folks will take it to heart. I think I just decided to only tint my back doors and rear window. I hope you have a long and safe career and that your attitude does not change.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:52 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Whoooaaaa there, my previous post wasn't meant as an attack it was a god honest question, as for the immature reference, you are completely wrong in your assumption, the reason i started this thread was YES because i wanted to know how to get around getting a ticket for tinted windows, it bothers me that other states have different laws so i don't feel that its a law that is neccessary, as for people being irresponsible while driving and hitting pedestrians, im not a half assed driver, im a cautious driver. your probably saying "this kid thinks it will never happen to me" but i don't, i think it can happen to anyone, i just think that tints might increase the risk slightly, im not getting 20% tints, you can still see through the windows of the car. and no i don't have an attitude, i was asking a question, i was curious because with all societys that are governed there are flaws in every system, some agree and some disagree. the tinting law i don't agree with. You may think that im some punk racer kid whos trying to show off his car. this was the reason i asked you that question was because your jumping to a conclusion, i have a good attitude i don't disrespect cops, im not a delinquent. so please don't jump to a random assumption that im immature.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:06 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Whoooaaaa there, my previous post wasn't meant as an attack it was a god honest question, as for the immature reference, you are completely wrong in your assumption, the reason i started this thread was YES because i wanted to know how to get around getting a ticket for tinted windows, it bothers me that other states have different laws so i don't feel that its a law that is neccessary, as for people being irresponsible while driving and hitting pedestrians, im not a half assed driver, im a cautious driver. your probably saying "this kid thinks it will never happen to me" but i don't, i think it can happen to anyone, i just think that tints might increase the risk slightly, im not getting 20% tints, you can still see through the windows of the car. and no i don't have an attitude, i was asking a question, i was curious because with all societys that are governed there are flaws in every system, some agree and some disagree. the tinting law i don't agree with. You may think that im some punk racer kid whos trying to show off his car. this was the reason i asked you that question was because your jumping to a conclusion, i have a good attitude i don't disrespect cops, im not a delinquent. so please don't jump to a random assumption that im immature.
With all due respect to you, values and opinions will change as you get older (mature). This is just something that happens as time goes by. I think invaluable information was provided by someone very similar to the person that may, in the future have the opportunity to write you a ticket. Evaluate the risk for breaking the law and make your own decision. I think that your question was answered in great detail. FWIW, yes, according to lots of people your age, I'm an old man at a very happy 55 years of age.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:09 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=NFLblitze1]W, the reason i started this thread was YES because i wanted to know how to get around getting a ticket for tinted windows,

Again, read the snippet of your post I have quoted. You are asking how to get around a law, by being cute. I will roll down my windows, and I dont think the cop can make me open them up. Any lawyers out there who can clue me in.

If you dont see that as being a young stupid kid, then you will never see it.
Again, if you dont like the law change it.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:22 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

[QUOTE=flatfoot]
W, the reason i started this thread was YES because i wanted to know how to get around getting a ticket for tinted windows,

Again, read the snippet of your post I have quoted. You are asking how to get around a law, by being cute. I will roll down my windows, and I dont think the cop can make me open them up. Any lawyers out there who can clue me in.

If you dont see that as being a young stupid kid, then you will never see it.
Again, if you dont like the law change it.
im sorry that you see things this way, im not going to continue arguing about this because you are right, it is illegal, and yes i am trying to get around it, i respect you as a cop and i respect what you do, but i don't respect the fact that you are blatantly saying that "i am a stupid kid" what about all of the other people who tint their windows, there are people on these forums that are 50 and up and they have exhaust, intake, 20% tints all around even 5% limo tints. its an endless argument, you are the officer, i am the civilian, you have the upper hand.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:29 PM
Instructor

I'm an old man at a very happy 55 years of age.[/QUOTE]

My Dad is almost the same age as you, and loves my tl, more then I do. He says if I decide on buying a different car, he will buy the car from me, as his daily car.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:35 PM
Instructor

im sorry that you see things this way, im not going to continue arguing about this because you are right, it is illegal, and yes i am trying to get around it, i respect you as a cop and i respect what you do, but i don't respect the fact that you are blatantly saying that "i am a stupid kid" what about all of the other people who tint their windows, there are people on these forums that are 50 and up and they have exhaust, intake, 20% tints all around even 5% limo tints. its an endless argument, you are the officer, i am the civilian, you have the upper hand.

I am sorry to say stupid kid. I should have said just stupid person. I am not being sarcastic. You are right in classifying you.
The difference between a stupid kid, and a stupid older person, is that I give more leeway to someone whos young, as oppossed to someone who is older, because I feel the younger person, has the opportunity and the ability to change. The older person, is usually set in ways, and will not change.
thus, to answer your question, I will usually give more of a break to a younger person because of this. I know this is not what you want to hear, but thats the way it is.
It is nothing about having the upper hand. You are showing your lack of maturity again. It is the law, not the upper hand. Might does not equal right, the law does, and the law is the upper hand.
We have a country of laws, that keep us free.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:01 PM
I'm Baaack!

NFL - I think the part that pissed off flatfoot was: "I will roll down my windows, and I dont think the cop can make me open them up. Any lawyers out there who can clue me in."

That does indicate a bit of immaturity ...

You asked what's different about all the other people who have tints ... Easy answer .. I've tinted past the legal limit, if I get a ticket I'll pay it ... the mature attitude is "Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you"

Nobody here is saying don't tint, but if you do, and you get caught, don't challenge the cop on his right to check your tints, recognize that you've got 'em, be polite to the cop and get what's coming to you. You knew it was illegal when you put 'em on, you rolled the dice, if you lose, you lose, no biggie
Old 08-30-2005, 04:04 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

i understood what he was saying it just got a little out of hand
Old 08-30-2005, 04:16 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Sorry, but this one floored me. So you're saying that cars with tinted windows are generally being operated by people with felonious intent? That would suggest that if a guy's license is suspended (one of your examples), or maybe he's stolen the car (another one), or his insurance got cancelled (um-hmm), he's going to hook 'em to the tint shop and get the windows tinted, right? WHAT?!?!

Down here in Texas - as is the case in most of the southwestern states - the sun is so damn hot that tinting windows has nothing to do with suspended licenses or stolen cars or no insurance ... it's to keep the interior of the car from reaching 150 degrees in the summer, and to blunt the effects of the bright sunlight.

Sounds to me like you're doing the no-no of profiling. And maybe even a little bit of pre-judging of folks before they've done anything. I understand a certain amount of that for your own safety, but I think it's your responsibility to witness an offense before you start taking police action.

Maybe that's what you meant, but you didn't express it so well. (And BTW ... I'm not anti-police. My own father was a police officer.)
Old 08-30-2005, 04:42 PM
Banned

Like, in life, nothing is set in stone. There are variables, on this. For most law enforcement officers, the attitude and dispositon of the person you are talking with is a consideration.
We are working people, and we understand human behavior. If you are a smart mouth, and tell us, "you dont know who my father is, and he will get you fired", then it becomes a different situation.
If you are a wise ass, and refuse to turn the radio off, when I am speaking with you, or wont stop your cell phone conversation, it makes the situation different.
To directly answer your question, I almost never ask them to remove the tinting, because I prefer they do this at home, so as not to ruin the vehicle, or to disrupt their egos, especially if its in a busy place, or they got friends with them. I prefer people to always have their dignity, as I should have mine.
But be a complet idiot, and I will ask you to remove it, or will have the car impounded if refused.
A lot of people I think, do not even know about the tinting. They go to strauss or another car place, buy that cheap crap, and glue it on.
Then you have the ones, that you know they know its illegal, but say they dont know.
I almost always give the benefit of the doubt, since I am not a mind reader, and cant play god. But I do instruct them on why it has to be removed, and make them repeat it to me, as I know it is confirmed. I make a private notation for a warning, so if I see the vehicle again, withing a few weeks, I can identify the vehicle. And this happens over and over and over again.
I would love to have my tl tinted and think it looks great, but I do understand the safety factor first hand.
I purchased a mini van a few years back, that had legal tinting for my state. But I found on nights with poor visiblilty, I had to roll my side windows down, when making turns, to be absolutely safe for pedestrians. I took them off, the front side windows, and left them on the middle and rear windows, for security reasons.
One thing I can tell you, and you probably know, ususally the darker the tint, the faster and more unsafe a vehicle is being driven.
When I make a stop, for a speeder, and the windows are darkly tinted, almost always, the operator has a suspended or no license, no insurance, no identification, warrents outstanding, stolen vehicle. It seems to always be something of the above. It is not a good situation.
Please show me some data that suggests anything comparing non-tint and tint-allowing states, in traffic accidents, officer attacks, officer mortality, etc.

It doesnt exist. I do agree that there is a thing about too much with visibility, beyond that it's a bit overreaching.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

My parents live in Vegas and the car is registered and insured under their name (although i do pay for the insurance), so technically I could get 35% all around. A friend of mine (who is a police) said that typically , and correct me if this is false, cops' eyes tend to catch sportier cars, so they're more likely to get caught w/ the tints.
My advice to you is, if you're really that worried about getting caught, don't do it. Usually, the cops will give you a warning and then have you get the tints peeled off (waste of $100+).
Hope you make the best decision for yourself.

Quick Reply: Getting Pulled over with Tints