Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Gauge & Bluetooth Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 07:17 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas Gauge & Bluetooth Problem

I have a thousand miles on my TL and have been having 2 problems...

1)I have not gotten more than 210 miles out of a tank of gas. It is not my driving... everytime that I have filled up, my gas gauge shows an"E" glowing orange. However, when I fill the car up it won't take more than 12 gallons. Sounds like a faulty gas gauge, what do ya think?

2)A Bluetooth problem. This is similar to past problems, but doesn't seem to be the same. I have the same problem, regardles of which phone I use - SE 616, Siemens S56. When I get into the car the radio displays "Phone" eventhough the phone is not in use. Pressing any/all of the radio buttons is of no use. The screen still displays phone (everything still works though). The only way to fix is to press the phone select button and then the phone back button. The screen returns to normal. Any suggestions?

04 TL Anthracite/Ebony/6MT/No Nav
Old 05-01-2004, 09:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
#1 sounds like a faulty sending unit. There were problems with them on the 2nd gen TLs too.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
I can only answer the first part. The E is not really glowing orange, the low fuel warning light that came on makes it look like that. But you should get more than 210 miles on 12 gallons. What does your trip computer read for "Miles to Empty" when the organge light comes on?

Here's some info on how the low fuel warning light works, and other stuff.

This is from a very long thread I started about fuel tank capacities, etc. and is based on actual and precise testing
a. If you stop at the first shutoff, you will have about 17 gallons in the tank.
b. When the low fuel warning light comes on, you still have about 3.71 gallons left in the tank (94 miles divided by 25.3 mpg)
c. When miles to empty reads zero, that is time to fill up, but you still have about 2 gallons left in the tank (57 miles divided by 25.3 mpg)

If you want to read the whole thread, go here http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...threadid=71425
Old 05-01-2004, 10:25 PM
Instructor

Well your car is still new and your engine may not be fully broken in yet. You should be able to get around 19-22 miles per gallon even if you drive hard. even thought your low gas light goes on you should still have a three gallon reserve. Low gas light usually goes on after 12 or 13 gallons, thats why when you fill up your car only takes 12 to 13 gallons. TL gas tank holds about 17 gallons. you can drive for a about another 60-80 miles after your gas light goes on because of your reserve, but I really wouldn't try to unless your really can fill up.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:43 PM
Racer

I have #2 problem too, not sure how to fix it but will bring back to dealer for check at some point
Old 05-02-2004, 12:07 AM
Racer

Gas Guage

Thanks Ron. My computer say approx 30 miles to empty when the light comes on.

Originally Posted by Ron A
I can only answer the first part. The E is not really glowing orange, the low fuel warning light that came on makes it look like that. But you should get more than 210 miles on 12 gallons. What does your trip computer read for "Miles to Empty" when the organge light comes on?

Here's some info on how the low fuel warning light works, and other stuff.

This is from a very long thread I started about fuel tank capacities, etc. and is based on actual and precise testing
a. If you stop at the first shutoff, you will have about 17 gallons in the tank.
b. When the low fuel warning light comes on, you still have about 3.71 gallons left in the tank (94 miles divided by 25.3 mpg)
c. When miles to empty reads zero, that is time to fill up, but you still have about 2 gallons left in the tank (57 miles divided by 25.3 mpg)

If you want to read the whole thread, go here http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...threadid=71425
Old 05-02-2004, 01:01 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
For #2 issue, did you mean your MID would display cellular phone's Signal strength and battery life when you first start your engine?
Old 05-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by rets
For #2 issue, did you mean your MID would display cellular phone's Signal strength and battery life when you first start your engine?
No it says "Phone", as if it were in use ... when it isn't.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by captain

... ...When I get into the car the radio displays "Phone" eventhough the phone is not in use. Pressing any/all of the radio buttons is of no use. The screen still displays phone (everything still works though). The only way to fix is to press the phone select button and then the phone back button. The screen returns to normal.

Did your "Raido" above mean "MID"?

If so, my T610 has the same symptom since Day 1.

While starting my car, my MID just displays my phone, and the only way to make MID display original screen is to press "talk" & "back"... I know some ppl have the similar issue, but we have no clue what's wrong with it.
:o
Old 05-03-2004, 07:58 AM
Advanced

The defective gas guage is my single biggest complaint about an otherwise great car. Unfortunately, it completely saps alot of the enjoyment out of owning the car. It is even worse on the highway. The light comes on far too early, forcing me to look for gas and then the car only takes 12 gallons. The car effectively has a 14 gallon tank which is totally absurd.

As to the bluetooth issue, when you turn off your car make sure the radio is off. After you start the car the next time and turn the radio on you shouldnt have that problem.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by madlaw
The defective gas guage is my single biggest complaint about an otherwise great car. Unfortunately, it completely saps alot of the enjoyment out of owning the car. It is even worse on the highway. The light comes on far too early, forcing me to look for gas and then the car only takes 12 gallons. The car effectively has a 14 gallon tank which is totally absurd.
Most cars work like this. They are pessimistic so that the unwary will not run out of fuel. The car has a 17 gallon tank, and you can use most of it by driving further after the light comes on or the MID says miles to empty: zero. This is a judgment call. The light is not forcing you to do anything, it is advising you of current conditions as programmed.

Here is some additional info which may help you.

a. When the low fuel warning light comes on, you still have about 3.71 gallons left in the tank (94 miles divided by 25.3 mpg)
b. When miles to empty reads zero, that is time to fill up, but you still have about 2 gallons left in the tank (57 miles divided by 25.3 mpg)
c. When filling the tank, if you stop at the first shutoff, you will have about 17 gallons in the tank.

Old 05-03-2004, 08:42 AM
Advanced

I am 36 years old and owned quite a few cars and NONE of them have worked like this, let alone a psuedo lux/sport car. The simple fact is the light comes on prematurely and it is human nature for your attitude to change once you know you are low on gas. You should be able to drive this car at least 330 miles before the light comes on. Instead I am filling up before 310. It sucks.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:47 AM
Instructor

Bluetooth problem: me too

I've been having the same problem with HFL, although it only happens once in every 20 - 30 starts. Dealer, ACS and Johnson Controls' help line are all baffled. They do see error codes in (I presume) HFL, although the self test doesn't report anything. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:39 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Cool

I am 36 years old and owned quite a few cars and NONE of them have worked like this, let alone a psuedo lux/sport car. The simple fact is the light comes on prematurely and it is human nature for your attitude to change once you know you are low on gas. You should be able to drive this car at least 330 miles before the light comes on. Instead I am filling up before 310. It sucks.

Perhaps, after a few more tanks, you will be more confident in this gas gauge, then fill up your tank comfortably when "Miles to Empty" displays zero.

If ppl could cruise in highway about 400 miles, you should be able to do so. IMHO.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Advanced

I have over 10k miles on the car which I have owned since October. It is simply an annoyance that detracts from the overall enjoyment of the car. It is totally unnecessary an Acura's part and hopefully they will correct it or I wont be a future Acura customer. Otherwise I love the car.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I agree it could be more accurate in the future. While seeing 05RL has some new instant MPG calculator, I have faith that Acura would do some improvment in the future.

Since Oct., my 04TL now has the similar mileage as yours. For my preference, the Low Feul Warning is a little annoying in the beginning, but it won't be the issue yet I have to worry... my rattle/squeaks are the cases which would kill me.

Old 05-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Advanced

That's funny, I dont have a single rattle or squeak, though I know many have complained about them.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:19 PM
Racer

Gas Gauge

I could deal with 300 miles between fill-ups, however, I am only getting 210 miles and putting about 12 gallons in each time. The dealership has asked me to let the empty light come on and bring the car in. They will then physically measure the amount of gas left in the car. They have already told me that the empty light should not be coming on with 5 gallons left... they seem to think the sender unit might be bad.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:23 PM
Racer

Gas Guage

Most cars work like this. They are pessimistic so that the unwary will not run out of fuel. The car has a 17 gallon tank, and you can use most of it by driving further after the light comes on or the MID says miles to empty: zero. This is a judgment call. The light is not forcing you to do anything, it is advising you of current conditions as programmed.

Here is some additional info which may help you.

a. When the low fuel warning light comes on, you still have about 3.71 gallons left in the tank (94 miles divided by 25.3 mpg)
b. When miles to empty reads zero, that is time to fill up, but you still have about 2 gallons left in the tank (57 miles divided by 25.3 mpg)
c. When filling the tank, if you stop at the first shutoff, you will have about 17 gallons in the tank.

Thanks Ron. I read it the other night. However, I think my specific example seems to be more extreme than the ones described in that string. My light is coming on with 29% of the tank still filled.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:50 PM
Intermediate

I have the same "PHONE" problem with my TL and may wife and I both have the SE616. I always turn off my radio and air and have not noticed this problem going away as another post suggests. Once I get done dealing with all of the interior noise issues and the check engine light coming on with my car, I will have to ask about it. Madlaw - I have to agree with the other post - that gas gague and the "PHONE" display are minor. You sould be happy you have not had your TL in the shop 10 days due to interior noise. I love this car too and was never more excited to buy a car - now I am not sure I will buy from Acura again.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:18 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

As to the bluetooth issue, when you turn off your car make sure the radio is off. After you start the car the next time and turn the radio on you shouldnt have that problem.
Ignore the light, look at total distance traveled and divide that by MPG indicated by MID. That will give you an accurate reading on how many gallons of gas you have used. In your case, you must have done some "spirited driving", getting only 17.5MPG based on my calculation. So, when you see that you have driven 210 miles and getting 17.5 MPG, then 210/17.5=12, you have used up 12 gallons, with 5 to go!

Last week, I filled up 16.9 gallons, having driven 389 miles with MID indicating 23MPG. Boy, that was close!
Old 05-04-2004, 07:38 AM
Advanced

I hear you Truman and you are technically correct. However on a car of this caliber, I should have to worry about math equations every few days. It is a major annoyance, but I guess I am better off than those with rattles and vibrations.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:14 PM
Intermediate

"I always turn off my radio and air and have not noticed this problem going away as another post suggests."

I stand corrected - I am now three for three on turning off the radio when I get out of the car and have not had "PHONE" displayed since. Thanks to madlaw!
Old 05-04-2004, 03:19 PM
4th Gear

RonA, let me ask you and anyone else who might know a question. I've read tons of posts on gas mileage/gas gauge accuracy (including your original tests), and the mpg posts I've seen are all over the place. A lot has to do with city vs. hwy mileage and "spirited" vs conservative driving. But, obviously it's hard to put in words how someone drives. I have a heavier than normal foot but I shift around 3k rpms and put it in 6th when I can. I drive almost exclusively in the city, but that obviously includes periodic short trips on the freeways at speeds between 30-80 mph. I get about 18 mpg (the car's got about 1800 miles on it). I recently took a 200 mile road trip--filled up right before I left and right when I got back. I was driving with "0 miles to empty" for about 15-20 miles, and I filled up 15.5 gallons when I got back. Over 415 pure-highway miles, that amounted to ~27 mpg (which the MID did confirm). So, I figure my city/hwy breakdown is 17/27. I figure that's the best it will get unless I'm just a very aggressive driver and don't even realize it. Is it possible that some of our cars just get better gas mileage than others all else being equal? Because I would love to be getting 22+ mpg in the city and 30+ hwy....
Old 05-04-2004, 04:14 PM
Advanced

what are friends for Qwest?
Old 05-04-2004, 04:20 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rrmash
RonA, let me ask you and anyone else who might know a question. I've read tons of posts on gas mileage/gas gauge accuracy (including your original tests), and the mpg posts I've seen are all over the place. A lot has to do with city vs. hwy mileage and "spirited" vs conservative driving. But, obviously it's hard to put in words how someone drives. I have a heavier than normal foot but I shift around 3k rpms and put it in 6th when I can. I drive almost exclusively in the city, but that obviously includes periodic short trips on the freeways at speeds between 30-80 mph. I get about 18 mpg (the car's got about 1800 miles on it). I recently took a 200 mile road trip--filled up right before I left and right when I got back. I was driving with "0 miles to empty" for about 15-20 miles, and I filled up 15.5 gallons when I got back. Over 415 pure-highway miles, that amounted to ~27 mpg (which the MID did confirm). So, I figure my city/hwy breakdown is 17/27. I figure that's the best it will get unless I'm just a very aggressive driver and don't even realize it. Is it possible that some of our cars just get better gas mileage than others all else being equal? Because I would love to be getting 22+ mpg in the city and 30+ hwy....
do a little experiment next time you are on the highway. cruise control at a speed, and reset MID. Drive for about 5 miles and see what the MID indicates.

For me, 6MT as well, 6th gear:

55MPH - 34MPG
70MPH - 30MPG
80MPH - 27MPG

My normal daily driving is about 1/2 highway, 1/2 city, and I get around 22-23MPG. If I am really good (accelerate slowly, always cruise control 60MPH on freeway), I can get around 24-25MPG.

Good luck!
Old 05-04-2004, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Fuel mileage is something that will, of course, vary with the individual. If you drove like a NYC taxi driver you would be lucky to get15mpg, what with all the stop and go and waiting. If you drove on the interstate for a full tank, you would probably achieve 30mpg, even at higher speeds. For all of us, the average is somewhere in between. I get 23mpg around town, but I have 5-6 miles of 60mph to town, then around town, then 5-6 miles back, so this is another average.

Each individual person will have to analyze his/her own driving habits to see if there is something wrong with the car, the fuel, or if the results are due to the driving habits.

All things being equal, some cars will get better or worse mileage than other cars, due to a lot of variables. Tire pressure. Ambient temperature. Humidity. The way you accelerate from a stoplight. Passengers or cargo carried. Oil viscosity. The way the car was made, or perhaps one individual piece in the chain, etc, etc.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Cool

I think Ron A made the pretty good explanation for your question. "For all of us, the average is somewhere in between", your 04TL may be not the best of MPG vehicle among all of us, but you got some pretty good number in where you are/how you drive/what you do. I stock in NYC, I got 16-19 in the city, it looks worse than most of 04TLers, but is still better than other rides I have.

Also, as jtruman said above, I got the best MPG in the highway at 55 mph, too, that's my vibration zone, 30-33 MPG.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was about to applaud your sense of humor and sarcasm - then I realized you are serious.

You have GOT to get a grip, man.

Most of us wish the gas gauge were more accurate. But it is, at worst, a minor annoyance. By applying just a pinch of perspective, one quickly grows accustomed to it.

"IT COMPLETELY SAPS A LOT OF THE ENJOYMENT OUT OF OWNING THE CAR"??? If only this were humor, I'd be recommending you for a princely crown in boltjames' kingdom.

"THE LIGHT COMES ON FAR TOO EARLY, FORCING ME TO LOOK FOR GAS"??? Uh, I hope you get some treatment soon for that obsessive-compulsive disorder of yours. You KNOW it's coming on early, so JUST DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. Or fine, you get gas early. Who cares?

I know, I know, I'm being an asshole. I'm sorry. I try to be sensitive to other people's perspectives, but sometimes the absurdity is just overwhelming.

"How do you disconnect the seatbelt alarm" still wins the prize, but "I won't buy another Acura unless they stop making idiot-proof gas gauges" is worthy of at least an honorable mention. Congratulations!
Old 05-04-2004, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by TLGator
"How do you disconnect the seatbelt alarm" still wins the prize, but "I won't buy another Acura unless they stop making idiot-proof gas gauges" is worthy of at least an honorable mention. Congratulations!
I can't decide. We need a poll. At least some people have a reason for disconnecting the seat belt alarm, like a salesman making many stops within a parking lot, etc, but to let the operation of the gas gage influence your decision to buy a car
Old 05-05-2004, 10:49 AM
4th Gear

Fuel mileage is something that will, of course, vary with the individual. If you drove like a NYC taxi driver you would be lucky to get15mpg, what with all the stop and go and waiting. If you drove on the interstate for a full tank, you would probably achieve 30mpg, even at higher speeds. For all of us, the average is somewhere in between. I get 23mpg around town, but I have 5-6 miles of 60mph to town, then around town, then 5-6 miles back, so this is another average.

Each individual person will have to analyze his/her own driving habits to see if there is something wrong with the car, the fuel, or if the results are due to the driving habits.

All things being equal, some cars will get better or worse mileage than other cars, due to a lot of variables. Tire pressure. Ambient temperature. Humidity. The way you accelerate from a stoplight. Passengers or cargo carried. Oil viscosity. The way the car was made, or perhaps one individual piece in the chain, etc, etc.
appreciate the comments...i'll see how it goes...