3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G-049: Back up lights too dim!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 15% on my back window, 20% on the rest and I couldn't see crap out the back. I installed 921 Wedge White from superbrightleds.com. $12.40 delivered and not only are the HID white but they look like two searchlights on the back! You can see me backing up a mile away! They have 9 led's per bulb and install in about 5 minutes. Be careful of the plastic rivets on the trunk liner. Easy removal if you know how. Give me a shout if you want me to email some pics.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RawDogg
They're 6600k PIAA HID Bulbs.... Real HID bulbs, but give more of purple/blue-ish tint like an Audi/BMW.

Stock HID's come with 3500k (i think?)...these just bump up the richness of the color. In actuality, they make the stock HID look like a stock yellow light when compared side by side....

If you check out PIAA 's website, you'll find more info there...
Got any pics RawDogg?
Old 08-31-2005, 09:53 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mile High TL
I have 15% on my back window, 20% on the rest and I couldn't see crap out the back. I installed 921 Wedge White from superbrightleds.com. $12.40 delivered and not only are the HID white but they look like two searchlights on the back! You can see me backing up a mile away! They have 9 led's per bulb and install in about 5 minutes. Be careful of the plastic rivets on the trunk liner. Easy removal if you know how. Give me a shout if you want me to email some pics.
Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. I just installed the 921 Wedge White 9 LED from superbrightleds.com and they are DEFINITELY NOT AS BRIGHT as the stock bulbs. They do have a nice blue white color temperature, but as stated on superbrightleds.com's website:
"LED bulbs are generally not as bright as standard incandescent bulbs, they have many advantages over filament bulbs (longer life, faster on/off times, lower power consumption, more vivid colors) but brightness is not one of them"
I was searching acurazine.com for a replacement (to the 921 9LEDS) when I ran across this thread and I felt obligated to say something, so others would not be led astray.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:56 PM
RED '06 TL

The stock looks a lot brighter. Why bother changing them?
Old 11-16-2005, 02:23 AM
6th Gear

Almost one year has passed since the original post - have we reached a consensus that nothing is brighter than the stock bulbs?

I will admit that the mod is nice and that I'm tempted to do it, but my night vision is awful nowadays and as a result, I'd only do the mod if it results in more brightness.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:19 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

I did the replacement of the back ups (PIAA Extreme White W2) and the 9 LEDs for the tag lights.

Since my rear window is tinted, I found the stock back ups ineffective and wanted to try this mod.

In my opinion, the PIAAs are slightly brighter. It may be the blue / white just apprears to brighten better than the yellows OEM bulbs? I seem to get slightly better rearward lighting when backing down the driveway at night (very dark!). Theses bulbs do seem to be caught in reflective materials better. I noticed the PIAAs reflected off a parked cars side markers better than the stocks when backing up. But this was a minor difference. If I wasn't specifically comparing, I likely would have not noticed.

It may just be a matter of taste / appearence.

I also tried the LEDS on the tag lights. First, I tried 6 LEDS...too dim. Now I tried 9 LEDS, and although I like the look, they are not nearly as bright as the stock incandescent bulbs. Further, I have the WeatherTech sealed Tag Frame. It seems to block the light a bit that the light does not wash over the plastic cover. Instead, get a look of 2 narrow 'beams' shining down the tag. I like the color and look, but may switch back to the stock bulbs (especially if I get pulled over!).

I know, I know....pics!

BTW, I can remove the trunk liner and fixtures and make this swap faster than a NASCAR pit crew! Practice makes perfect.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Outta my way!!

Originally Posted by Brewmaster
The PIAA 19224 is the correct model number. It is an exact fit for the stock bulb, which is a #921 wedge style bulb
Thanks brewmaster, just initiated return of 19225 to carolinaclassictrucks
Old 05-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Outta my way!!

OK, carolinaclassictrucks rocks
Got the right bulbs today, PIAA 19224. Ran happily into my garage, opened the PIAA package, hmmmmmmmm, 18W just like a stock bulb (OK, I knew that from previous post) and clored in deep blue. The question pops in my head: how is it that the same wattage bulb as stock, but colored, will produce more light output than a clear bulb?? The answer is - NO WAY! I inserted one PIAA bulb into the lens and ran comaro - against garage door, out on my driveway in complete darknes and out on the street parking about 10feet away from a tree.
Guess what - stock bulb performed better in all three cases!
Please note: I do have 35% tint on the back window.
The only thing positive about PIAAs is that they do look better when lit if u r looking at the rear of you car - but I personally could care less. However, they look total rice when not lit ;cuz the lens is clear and u can see the blue bulb inside

I have pics, but it 's too late and I am too angry to look for hosting now, if u r interested, PM me for pics
Also, I can sell these PIAA bulbs for $10+s/h, I paid 12.95 + s/h

I am not trying to call anybody on this board, it's all subjective, but I think ppl advertising piaa were going mainly for the looks here in that particular application for reverse lights.
I used PIAAsmyself - they are great, I have fogs on my wifes 99 Accord, and the headlights use PIAAs as well, however, those bulbs are about 10-15 watts more than stock and they are clear, only the small reflector inside has that very light blue hue, which doesnt impend the light output.

Hope this helps
Old 08-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Over Caffeinated

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old Guy Disease...

Apologies for resurrecting this thread.

The eyes are the 3rd thing to go. I forget what the first 2 are.

Do the PIAA 19224s really produce any more light? If not, are there any other options?

Backing up at night with window tint when you have 50k+ miles on the personal odometer is an exercise in caution!

Thanks,
Steve