3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FUUUUUU TL, meet tree. Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn John, sorry to see that, I knew you were excited about the new car and selling the TL... Good luck and keep us updated. (And if you still need the stock suspension, I still have it)
Old 12-01-2010, 10:02 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Wow, John. I am glad you are okay. I hate high speed driving in the rain.
Shameless self-interest: So, uh, whatcha doin with those window visors there, buddy?
Old 12-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Instructor

Damn, glad you're ok.

And glad I got my winter tires on just in time for this shoddy weather....
Old 12-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Glad you made it out without harm! Looks like the TL performed beautifully in protecting the occupants. Looks like its totaled to me.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:31 AM
F-SPORT

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Holy crap! Glad you made it out okay!
Old 12-01-2010, 12:06 PM
2004 SSM FTMFW !!!!

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
That sux bro, I'm glad you are ok tho
Old 12-01-2010, 12:32 PM
My TL loves summer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's crazy, glad you're okay man. Its too bad about the TL, it was definitely one of the nicer ones on AZ.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Drifting

Received 853 Likes on 606 Posts
Eh, that'll buff out . JK. Wow. Just shows how much cars are built to crumple for safety.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
wow. at least you were able to walk away from it..
the car's a total loss.. sorry..

it may be too soon for this.. but will you be parting out? if so, please let me know.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Holy crap. I guess your just luck to be OK. What suspension did you have? You probably hit the bumpstops...
Old 12-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
AM...extra tragic.

Glad you're okay, OP, and good luck with the search for a new ride.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:39 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by TLDude876
Glad you're ok bro. Did you go to the doctor/hospital to get checked out?
I'm feeling fine today, just a little sore. Have a knot on the side of my head but nothing too bad. If I get worse, I'll definitely go get checked out.

Originally Posted by Blazing GT
damn man.....good to see you are still alive.

mmm do i smell CTS-V? lol
Possibly

Originally Posted by pwr2panda
im glad ur safe!!! what tires were you running on? you better be plannin on a different car now...that tl is totaled.
I was running a cheap all-season tire

Originally Posted by nivekov
sorry for your loss :[ if youre interested and able too, id be interested in those headlights.
Thanks a lot! I'll let you know about them.

Originally Posted by hotgrease
glad no one got hurt, but you're driving 65-70 in high rain and low visibility? that's a hydroplaning accident waiting to happen.
Well, to me it was low visibility.. I hate driving in the rain in the first place so I may've exaggerated a little. Put it this way, it wasn't rainin enough for me to have my wipers on full speed and I got passed numerous times by people going 80+ lol Just like any accident; it could've been prevented

Originally Posted by JMooSeR
Damn John, sorry to see that, I knew you were excited about the new car and selling the TL... Good luck and keep us updated. (And if you still need the stock suspension, I still have it)
Might not be needing it now.. I have my stock suspension that is in pieces, I'll hopefully be pulling my Megans off the car and laying the stock suspension in the backseat.. granted that it's totaled.

Originally Posted by dwb993
Wow, John. I am glad you are okay. I hate high speed driving in the rain.
Shameless self-interest: So, uh, whatcha doin with those window visors there, buddy?
I'll be sending you an email shortly

Originally Posted by rtibbitts07
Damn, glad you're ok.

And glad I got my winter tires on just in time for this shoddy weather....
I've never had any problems running all-seasons where I live in TN. We never see snow and if we do, it's about an inch and everything shuts down lmao

Originally Posted by wahshi
That's crazy, glad you're okay man. Its too bad about the TL, it was definitely one of the nicer ones on AZ.
Not hardly man but I appreciate the kind words :rockstars:

Originally Posted by AtlM5
Holy crap. I guess your just luck to be OK. What suspension did you have? You probably hit the bumpstops...
It had Megans.. no bump stops in this section of the interstate.

If I had hit the tree on the driver side as oppose to the rear, the car would've been cut up to pieces in order to get me out. What happened could've been prevented, just like any other accident. Sucks that it's happened but nothing left for me to do is get all my parts off the car and learn from this
Old 12-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
^I meant the bumpstops on your megans...
Old 12-01-2010, 01:46 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
glad you're maintaining a positive attitude about all of this. not everyone would be as content as you seem to be. looks like you got your priorities figured out man, best of luck to you with whatever you do.

i'll be around if you wanna part out anything...PM me when you can. take care.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Damn, that sucks. I'm just lad you hit the tree ass in, could've been a heck of a lot worse if you hit the tree head-on. Glad to hear you're okay though

Sorry, but I can't help laughing at the ebrake handle being pulled up
Old 12-01-2010, 02:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Damn John!!!! Man those pics are insane!!!! Glad you're OK man!!!
Old 12-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Glad you're ok. I'm sure you've already gone over the other possibilities in your head had it not spun perfectly.... Even though I tend to drive "spirited" in the dry, I don't take chances in the rain since once the car hydroplanes you're just along for the ride, no driver no matter how good can make a difference once it starts. I know myself in a situation like that, once it's over and I realize how bad it could've been, I get that adreneline all over again.

Why can't I find the rear bumper in that mess? Am I overlooking it or is it folded up into the mess? I see the rear was practically turned inside out with the tow hook inside the trunk lol.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Intermediate

Omg, I am glad you are ok! I-75 is pretty rough. I am sure you will get full support from your insurance company.
I had a bit of a scare this morning with my TL-S myself. I have the original MXM4 tires. I've been hydroplaning all morning. I had a few near misses.
I wish you the best of luck!
Old 12-01-2010, 02:52 PM
ScoobyZINE

Originally Posted by AtlM5
^I meant the bumpstops on your megans...
Ah yes. I will inspect them when I get them off and they'll be sold as is. As far as I know, they're still okay..

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
glad you're maintaining a positive attitude about all of this. not everyone would be as content as you seem to be. looks like you got your priorities figured out man, best of luck to you with whatever you do.

i'll be around if you wanna part out anything...PM me when you can. take care.
Thanks a lot bro! I'm trying to keep a level head on my shoulders. I seem to always look at the positive side of things, no matter the situation. I'm working on a list now of all the things I plan to remove from the car.

Originally Posted by Aman
Damn, that sucks. I'm just lad you hit the tree ass in, could've been a heck of a lot worse if you hit the tree head-on. Glad to hear you're okay though

Sorry, but I can't help laughing at the ebrake handle being pulled up
Haha I noticed that as well and I remember snatching it up after I came to a stop. Just a habit I guess.

Originally Posted by donnieb83
Damn John!!!! Man those pics are insane!!!! Glad you're OK man!!!
I know, it's crazy looking back at them. I still cannot believe it happened Something I thought would never happen, happened yesterday

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Glad you're ok. I'm sure you've already gone over the other possibilities in your head had it not spun perfectly.... Even though I tend to drive "spirited" in the dry, I don't take chances in the rain since once the car hydroplanes you're just along for the ride, no driver no matter how good can make a difference once it starts. I know myself in a situation like that, once it's over and I realize how bad it could've been, I get that adreneline all over again.

Why can't I find the rear bumper in that mess? Am I overlooking it or is it folded up into the mess? I see the rear was practically turned inside out with the tow hook inside the trunk lol.
I definitely have thought of all the different outcomes and they all leave me thinking "man I am blessed." I wondered if it had been dry out if I would've flipped.. how many times.. which way would I have landed.. blah blah blah. In a way, I'm almost ashamed that it happened.

The bumper is laying in front of the tree. Along with part of the rear glass and also the metal rear bumper reinforcement. It completely tore it off the car.

Originally Posted by HydeCiel
Omg, I am glad you are ok! I-75 is pretty rough. I am sure you will get full support from your insurance company.
I had a bit of a scare this morning with my TL-S myself. I have the original MXM4 tires. I've been hydroplaning all morning. I had a few near misses.
I wish you the best of luck!
I believe my insurance will treat me well I'm also glad there are other members who have had experiences with I75 lol Definitely get those tires replaces man. It's one thing seeing pictures on a computer of a wreck.. it's another living through it. It definitely changes your outlook on everything.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I guess it's pretty obvious what you're looking at getting next then, huh?

I heard the first gen CTS-Vs (and STS-Vs) had issues with the rear diff, but otherwise I like 'em. Or are you looking at new ones?
Old 12-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts

I heard the first gen CTS-Vs (and STS-Vs) had issues with the rear diff, but otherwise I like 'em. Or are you looking at new ones?
True. A good friend of mine purchased a 1st gen new. Can't remember the year but it was after they discovered the problem. He's shifted it easy and when racing lets the clutch out easy instead of dumping it. It's held up fine over the years but you definately don't want to go around poweshifing and launching on sticky tires.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AMUA6

I believe my insurance will treat me well I'm also glad there are other members who have had experiences with I75 lol Definitely get those tires replaces man. It's one thing seeing pictures on a computer of a wreck.. it's another living through it. It definitely changes your outlook on everything.
Yeah, I75 is brutal.
After today's driving experience and reading your tragic story, I just bought some new tires on Tirerack, they should be at my dealer in a few days.
I got ContinentalExtremeContact DWS(Ultra High Performance All-Season) - 235/45ZR17. I hear they do well in wet, resist hydroplane very well, better ride, more comfortable, and are the best all season tires on snow.

Keep us informed on what you decide on for a new vehicle.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:59 PM
ScoobyZINE

The V1's rear diff were basically like grenades. GM recalled them and started replacing them with 06/07 rear diffs. Ive read stories of people driving down the road leaving pieces of the case and dope all over the street They make lots of upgrades such as girdles, poly bushings etc to help reinforce them.

I'm definitely looking at a 1st Gen.

Originally Posted by I hate cars
True. A good friend of mine purchased a 1st gen new. Can't remember the year but it was after they discovered the problem. He's shifted it easy and when racing lets the clutch out easy instead of dumping it. It's held up fine over the years but you definately don't want to go around poweshifing and launching on sticky tires.
The one I looked at was an 05 for 15k with 81k miles. The dealer informed me there was a clunk coming from the rear end and as soon as he said that I knew it was either cv joints or bushings. I go drive the car, hear the clunk like there's slack in the drivetrain.. we get back, I have them put it on a rack for me to inspect and sure enough, I could move the rear diff around by hand. The mount bushings were shot. Now they have to offer me the car for 15k even though it's a $150 set of OEM bushings to fix it Still skeptical on it though.. it was missing a lug nut, deep swirl marks on the paint, interior was shitty, etc. The sales rep informed me that the car is going as wholesale only and is why they haven't put any TLC into it..

Although that seems like a great deal, I have my eyes in other places
Old 12-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Damn that sucks. At least you were ok.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts

Although that seems like a great deal, I have my eyes in other places
Yeah keep looking and make sure its a clean car (literally and figuratively). My uncle has 2004 CTS-V and it's been in and out of the shop throughout its lifetime. He purchased the extended warranty on it when the factory one was up and he said its paid for itself. Might've just been early-build issues. Can't remember all the issues he's had, but differentials were one.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
damn man glad to hear your ok.. as far as the car goes i would say totalled !!
Old 12-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gawddamn dats ruthless!

Good thing you're ok and didn't have any illegal shit in your car when the cops pulled up to help out. LOL.

Back in my college years I wreck my T-Bird. In the glove compartment I had a bag of weed and the impact of the accident caused the glove compartment to open and the bag of weed fell on the passenger side floor! A cop came to help me out and she flashed her flashlight inside my car to check it out and she missed the bag of weed! I only saw the bag after I got back into the car to pull my stuff out. LOL.

So fucking lucky...as were you.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
damn man that sux....the only other dude i knew that had a matte black roof!!!thats terrible bro glad to see your ok though
Old 12-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow...glad your ok. Make me realize that the TL is a really safe car. It protected you well.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
O M G sorry to see that man glad that u r ok
Old 12-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
I say get a Type-S since the TL took really good care of you.

Now I'm going to think twice going over 65 when it is pouring in Texas.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Glad you're alright! That's what happens when you cheat on your TL though haha

Edit: What wheels do you have? I think they'd look good on SSM with some spacers in the back
Old 12-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Coal

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
Damn glad your alright! the TL seems to protect its occupants very well
Old 12-02-2010, 12:49 AM
Advanced

wow, that is pretty shocking dude. But the most important thing is youre ok though, rather your tl than you man.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:17 AM
9 mpg.

Received 306 Likes on 249 Posts
Another G down. 2010 has been merciless to us TL owners. I might be next on the list. Who knows, everybody be safe out there! I'm glad you survived man and congrats on whatever you pick up next!

By the way, I gotta' say this..
This accident is about the only time where it's okay for the TL to take it in the ass.

hahahaha
Old 12-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Middle Finger anyone?

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by HydeCiel
Yeah, I75 is brutal.
After today's driving experience and reading your tragic story, I just bought some new tires on Tirerack, they should be at my dealer in a few days.
I got ContinentalExtremeContact DWS(Ultra High Performance All-Season) - 235/45ZR17. I hear they do well in wet, resist hydroplane very well, better ride, more comfortable, and are the best all season tires on snow.

Keep us informed on what you decide on for a new vehicle.
I have those tires. They do alright in the wet. For me if it is a decently heavy rain I can't get the car to accelerate past 55mph with the traction control on because it keeps fighting and slowing the car down due to constant traction loss/hydroplane. Meanwhile the subie wrx's forge on ahead at 65. In light rain or standing water they are pretty good.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I am glad to see your okay, there is no way that car is repairable! The floor is pushed back to the rear sus mounting points and... well there is ALOT messed up. Sorry to see this and agree extra sad due to AM!
Old 12-02-2010, 11:24 AM
ScoobyZINE

Thanks for all the positive comments guys, I really appreciate it.
My adjuster called last night and plans to go appraise the car this afternoon around 3 or so. I'm so antsy as to see what he'll say.

The wheels are RPM somethings.. lol I really have no idea, they were a craigslist bargain.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for all the positive comments guys, I really appreciate it.
My adjuster called last night and plans to go appraise the car this afternoon around 3 or so. I'm so antsy as to see what he'll say.

The wheels are RPM somethings.. lol I really have no idea, they were a craigslist bargain.
Good luck! *Fingers cross* Let us know what he says!
Old 12-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Seems like your TL was a bit jealous and upset you cheated on her.

Whiplash is nothing to fuck around with. Definitely get checked out thoroughly. It's something that can bite you in ass years down the road. Glad you're okay! Keep us updated if you upgrade.

Quick Reply: FUUUUUU TL, meet tree. Now what?