Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future options Acura is considering..

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 08:00 AM
Disproportionate Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Future options Acura is considering..

I garnered this based on the New Owner survey email I received (and just filled out):
  • Run-flat tires. They seem to be trying to make a choice between this and what they're calling Instant Mobility System (basically, sealant). The run-flat tires would cost $500, the IMS they are considering using in place of the spare (bad idea.. what happens if your sidewall gets cut?) I'd happily pay $100 for the IMS if I could keep the spare in case it didn't work. I don't think I'd pay $500 for run-flat tires.
  • HDD based audio. They seem to be trying to make a decision between this and a jack for MP3 or other devices. My answer is both. I'd love an HDD based audio system in the car and would happily pay the $300 additional cost for it, but I'd also like the ability to plug in other devices at times. I'd also love it if the CD player played MP3s.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:35 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by Aquineas
I garnered this based on the New Owner survey email I received (and just filled out):

Run-flat tires. They seem to be trying to make a choice between this and what they're calling Instant Mobility System (basically, sealant). The run-flat tires would cost $500, the IMS they are considering using in place of the spare (bad idea.. what happens if your sidewall gets cut?) I'd happily pay $100 for the IMS if I could keep the spare in case it didn't work. I don't think I'd pay $500 for run-flat tires.[/list]
Was there an option to have no spare tire at all and a savings of $200?

I mean, that's what cellphones and roadside assistance is for, right? Sure, some folks in the sticks need that level of security but where I travel it's 1-800-ACURA for me.

BJ
Old 07-25-2004, 09:21 AM
Hippie Kill Team™

Maybe I am mistaken, but was there an acura concept vehicle a couple of years ago that used high pressure air jets to replace the windshield wipers? I thought it was a tl concept, but maybe it was an rl
Old 07-25-2004, 09:31 AM
Disproportionate Member

Originally Posted by fox_boogie
Maybe I am mistaken, but was there an acura concept vehicle a couple of years ago that used high pressure air jets to replace the windshield wipers? I thought it was a tl concept, but maybe it was an rl
I can't say for certain on that particular issue, but my mind was trying to think of that very thing during my trip. I was trying to think up a better windshield cleaner/wiper system. I think that the problem of clearing the water off your windshield is entirely different from the one of cleaning bugs and debris off your windshield, and most of my ideas stem from that recognition.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:41 AM
Racer

I wish they'd bring back 4 wheel steering... I love how GM is acting like they invented it! We had it on our 91 Prelude.

How about the cameras instead of wing mirrors, like on the concept? Now that looked odd!

No run-flats for me!! Lexus has had a lot of complaints about the ones on the SC430, and if they don't give you the space for a spare, you can't put on regular tyres with any sense of safety (at least around here). You could die waiting for a tow truck in the rural areas here!
Old 07-25-2004, 10:43 AM
Advanced

fox_boogie-

I think it was the first concept TL (at the 2003 auto shows) that had the air jets instead of wipers. It also had the side cameras instead of mirrors.
Old 07-25-2004, 02:39 PM
Hippie Kill Team™

Originally Posted by one4thegipper
fox_boogie-

I think it was the first concept TL (at the 2003 auto shows) that had the air jets instead of wipers. It also had the side cameras instead of mirrors.
I knew I wasn't crazy! They should brink back the 4WS for the new RL
Old 07-25-2004, 03:00 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe they could bring back Michelin tires . . .
Old 07-25-2004, 03:22 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by imax
Maybe they could bring back Michelin tires . . .
I've read old 2nd gen CL/TL reviews were people were complaining about the OEM Michelins. Maybe Acura just isn't demanding enough (or too cheap) when it comes to OEM tire specs. To be fair, I don't know if it's really possible to make everyone happy with an all-season performance tire. It's a compromise by design.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:12 PM
Racer

Run flat tires are horrible when it comes to higher end performance and handling; not to mention the high replacement cost. Hopefully someone would consider avoiding this for use on a great sport sedan.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JPSMAN
Run flat tires are horrible when it comes to higher end performance and handling; not to mention the high replacement cost. Hopefully someone would consider avoiding this for use on a great sport sedan.
I second that! Replacement costs of perf. tires are bad enough without them being run-flats- unfortunately it seems the whole market is going towards them

Someone mentioned NO SPARE! Ouch... my neck of the woods roadside assistance can take 30 min to an hour - I can change my tire in less then 10 minutes... about the last "IM A MAN!" ritual we have left on cars - dont take my damn spare away - that's the last thing we can do ourselves and brag to our wives about how car handy we are --- hell even oil changes have become were you need 100K worth of computers now to "balance" the right amount of synthetic oil and port tune the dipstick allignment to the oil plug injector port with .5 ft-lb of torque on filter housing made of titanium nickle alloy to protect against road debri
Old 07-25-2004, 10:41 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by Mocoso
I second that! Replacement costs of perf. tires are bad enough without them being run-flats- unfortunately it seems the whole market is going towards them

Someone mentioned NO SPARE! Ouch... my neck of the woods roadside assistance can take 30 min to an hour - I can change my tire in less then 10 minutes... about the last "IM A MAN!" ritual we have left on cars - dont take my damn spare away - that's the last thing we can do ourselves and brag to our wives about how car handy we are --- hell even oil changes have become were you need 100K worth of computers now to "balance" the right amount of synthetic oil and port tune the dipstick allignment to the oil plug injector port with .5 ft-lb of torque on filter housing made of titanium nickle alloy to protect against road debri
Hey, all I'm saying is that it should be an option to not have a spare and pick up some nifty extra trunk room and $200 cash back in the process.

I estimate that in my 24 years of driving I've toted a useless rubber ring 360,000 miles. I wonder how much fuel / wear I might have saved on my vehicles if I wasn't forced to do so.

BJ
Old 07-25-2004, 10:55 PM
Cruisin'

BMW did it on the M3 (Z4 also) to cut weight, preserve front/rear weight balance, and get the muffler they wanted, while having some trunk. The mobility kit idea (a tire sealant) was either the greatest thing since sliced bread or an absolute piece of crap with a few people in between. A few souls bought spares (humorously the M3 fronts and rears were different sizes so getting the spare right was sometimes a problem.) Since we are weight bias to the front, losing the spare would only make it worse. IRT Run Flats well they are expensive and the high performance ones even more so. I do not think they come in a TL size but if they did make them think $$$$ for less performance.
But as an option both ideas have merit (doubt either would save much $$$ though as options usually cost more not less. BMW has some delete this options that do not change the price but save them money.)

ATB,
Tom
Old 07-25-2004, 11:06 PM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Run flats are expensive and the added weight of a spare tire is not going to make a huge difference, they can keep this consideration.... they only did it for the corvette and mercedes for the weight problem, these are consumer vehicles not sports cars....
Old 07-25-2004, 11:37 PM
Advanced

I'm selling my run flats if anyone is interested...

Literally brand new with only 330 miles on them - 4 Goodyear Eagle RS-A (High Performance All-Season) Run Flat tires.

Tire rack is selliing them for $217 for each tire. 4 new tires would run you $868 alone.

TireRack GoodYear RS-A Tires

Make me a reasonable offer. Email mail me at - mark_12345@yahoo.com
Old 07-26-2004, 12:19 AM
Racer

Options are good, BJ - heck, you could always sell your donut and pocket the cash!

On average, we get one puncture every year thanks to road debris. Would you believe a spare tyre was an additional option on the F250 pickup when we looked at it??? Not like it's short of space...

How about a built-in power supply jack in the overhead for radar detectors? Or even a built-in detector!
Old 07-26-2004, 06:03 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Awd...

I'd rather see them add AWD to the mix.

And they are coming under increasing pressure to do so. Seems that Mazda has been caught testing an AWD Mazda 6 running a 274hp turbo'd 4 pot. Only real downfall of a 4 banger is that torque is in relatively short supply.

Run flats have their merits, but they still don't ride as well as regular tires. Maybe the run flats or tire sealing system are so they can shrink the tire well to fit in a rear diff for AWD??

An MP3 capable CD player would be good.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:31 AM
Disproportionate Member

Originally Posted by kosh2258
I'd rather see them add AWD to the mix.

And they are coming under increasing pressure to do so. Seems that Mazda has been caught testing an AWD Mazda 6 running a 274hp turbo'd 4 pot. Only real downfall of a 4 banger is that torque is in relatively short supply.

Run flats have their merits, but they still don't ride as well as regular tires. Maybe the run flats or tire sealing system are so they can shrink the tire well to fit in a rear diff for AWD??

An MP3 capable CD player would be good.
Interesting that you would mention the Mazda. Ford is also working on a new Corporate 3.5 liter V6 engine. Rumor has it that they've totally torn into both the Nissan and Honda V6's to try and figure out what makes them so good. I expect that you'll see that V6 up and down the Ford line, including the Mazda 6. When that happens, things will be very interesting...
Old 07-26-2004, 10:20 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Pot80h
I wish they'd bring back 4 wheel steering... I love how GM is acting like they invented it! We had it on our 91 Prelude.

How about the cameras instead of wing mirrors, like on the concept? Now that looked odd!

No run-flats for me!! Lexus has had a lot of complaints about the ones on the SC430, and if they don't give you the space for a spare, you can't put on regular tyres with any sense of safety (at least around here). You could die waiting for a tow truck in the rural areas here!
I believe that the first 4 wheel steering was on an 89 Prelude. Now I've only seen it on GM trucks, but the new Infiniti M45 concept is going to have it.