Sponsored by:

FRP o4-o6 A-Spec Replica

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 11:09 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
FRP o4-o6 A-Spec Replica

Howdy folks,
Several months back a member on TAC has inquired about the legitamacy of "OEMLIP.COM".
They make replica lip kits for Hondas and Acuras.
Most interesting, for us, would be the o4-o6 front and rear A-Spec lip kits.

It is reasonably priced. Just $200 CAD for the front bumper. Shipping is included via Greyhound Shipping.

Till this moment I am not sure if anyone has purchased any 3G lips from them. What troubled me at first, was the use of 3G TLs from Azine that used the OEM lip.

I have ordered one front A-Spec lip from them.
They began fabbing the coming Monday (I had ordered on Saturday).
All communication with the owner [I assume] has been very quick and informative. He's dominately French so his English was a bit weak (but still comprehendable).
Quick note: The lip is unpainted... and he states "the lip come on black gelcoat.need to be sanded and primed".
He had informed me that he would finish the lip by Friday.
He had also informedme that once he had completed it.. he would ship it asap via Grey Hound. He stated the night of Friday, right after completion. However, he ended up shipping it on Saturday. Which was fine.
The delivery was quick. It had arrived today (Monday). I received a phone call from Greyhound... they gave me the option of a $5 delivery or a no-charge-pickup. I opted for the pickup.
The gentleman on the phone stated that the lip would be ready to pick up after 4pm. That was not the case.
Now I will be picking up the lip tomorrow morning.

I shall confirm build and fitment quality... and of course, Azine would be nothing without pictures--So those shall be included as well.

Last edited by o4Komodo; 03-15-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Keep us posted! Do they offer the full kit as well? Anyway thanks for the info.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:55 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Old 03-16-2010, 12:09 AM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Originally Posted by donaldso718
Keep us posted! Do they offer the full kit as well? Anyway thanks for the info.
They only have the front and rear.
They have a combined package for the front+rear for 395.

edit: In my very first post, fifth line I meant to say "front lip" not front bumper.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
nice! please let us know on the lip. I THINK my bumper was from this company too, unless theres another company that does aftermarket oem bumper molds. I bought a 07 base bumper and it was not oem, fitment was snug tight but looks legit. not sure about the lip, will wait on your response
Old 03-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Originally Posted by ib18c1
nice! please let us know on the lip. I THINK my bumper was from this company too, unless theres another company that does aftermarket oem bumper molds. I bought a 07 base bumper and it was not oem, fitment was snug tight but looks legit. not sure about the lip, will wait on your response
There is a possibility that it was a different company.
OEMLIP.COM is from Montreal, QC, Canada.
Their site only lists things for lipkits for the TL. I haven't fully checked the other sections yet.

They claim that the lip should have OEM fitment as they made the mold from an OEM lip.

Tune in tomorrow and I'll have more details about the lip once it is in my possession.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:28 AM
9 mpg.

Received 306 Likes on 249 Posts
I'm excited. lol
Old 03-16-2010, 02:58 AM

Received 9,502 Likes on 6,173 Posts

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:34 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow great please keep us posted 395 for both back and front is pretty good price for a rep. Hopefully the quality is good.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Same, im interested if the fit is good, thats a decent price.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:12 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
The kit is made from flex fiberglass & is unpainted.. not as great of a deal as you might think. I'm still interested in seeing the lip thickness & fitment. Also the pictures on the site are labeled as the actual OE A Spec kits, probably just for illustration of their kit.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Whats wrong with flex fiberglass?
Old 03-16-2010, 07:46 AM
05 SSM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I saw this site a long time ago i emailed them but they told me that they dont ship to US...plus its unpainted...for that price its decent but..still need to match the paint 2 pieces are about 550-600 painted oem and theyre selling for 395 unpainted. in my point of view its the same....

Last edited by KidChenz89; 03-16-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
huh I might be interested in this as well. OEM from a dealership is 550$ unpainted so for 400$ for front and back, I think it's a deal. This is Canada, we don't have the luxuries of cheap car parts and free shipping so this is a pretty good deal
Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Be interesting to see how the fiberglass stands up the first time you tap a curb.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Ahh I see what your saying about the fiberglass, whats the oem made of?
Old 03-16-2010, 11:22 AM
OCD

Received 126 Likes on 43 Posts
You can buy the OEM front lip from a few places I just ordered mine for 270 shipped OEM from a dealer. Painted!
Old 03-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Roger555
You can buy the OEM front lip from a few places I just ordered mine for 270 shipped OEM from a dealer. Painted!
Not in CanaDUH you can't.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
Where did you happen to get this?
Old 03-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Originally Posted by 05AcuraTL916
Wow great please keep us posted 395 for both back and front is pretty good price for a rep. Hopefully the quality is good.
At first glance hand the quality does seem pretty good for FRP.
However...
Mine arrived with a small crack during shipping.
I have experience with [regular] fiberglass so this is an easy fix.

The good thing about fiberglass is that it's relatively inexpensive and easy to fix.
The bad thing about fiberglass is that it can get damaged relatively as easy.

Originally Posted by Crestwood1001
Same, im interested if the fit is good, thats a decent price.
The fit seems to be snug. I have to remove my foglight-covers to double check though as it is partially in the way.

Originally Posted by Type-DM 2004 TL
I'm excited. lol

Unfortunately, apparantly he won't ship to the states?
But on his shipping section on the website it says to inquiry for international shipping...

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
So far so good. Have to test-fit without my foglight covers in place.

Originally Posted by Majofo
The kit is made from flex fiberglass & is unpainted.. not as great of a deal as you might think. I'm still interested in seeing the lip thickness & fitment. Also the pictures on the site are labeled as the actual OE A Spec kits, probably just for illustration of their kit.
In Canada the price is good.
We don't have any kind dealers that help reduce cost... well, we had one but it got shut down.
The thickness is about 1/2CM. The fitment seems snug---but my foglight covers are partially in the way so it may just appear like that so far.

Whats wrong with flex fiberglass?
Not very high in quality. However, it offers a little more durability over plain ol' fiberglass.

Originally Posted by KidChenz89
I saw this site a long time ago i emailed them but they told me that they dont ship to US...plus its unpainted...for that price its decent but..still need to match the paint 2 pieces are about 550-600 painted oem and theyre selling for 395 unpainted. in my point of view its the same....
In a way it is the same... I don't think it should cost that much to get them both painted though.
Their customer service is very good... I assumed they may have been willing to ship to the US as it does say to inquire for international shipping.

Originally Posted by myron
huh I might be interested in this as well. OEM from a dealership is 550$ unpainted so for 400$ for front and back, I think it's a deal. This is Canada, we don't have the luxuries of cheap car parts and free shipping so this is a pretty good deal
In some places.. they want more.
Each dealership has their own individual pricing...
The best price I got for a front a-spec was $365 and that's because it was apart of Acura's big clearance event.

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Be interesting to see how the fiberglass stands up the first time you tap a curb.
It's a scary thought... but I don't intend on leaving my lip FRP.
The main reason why I purchased this lip was to test the legitamacy of "OEMLIP.COM" and to use it for a few projects.

Ahh I see what your saying about the fiberglass, whats the oem made of?
I believe the OEM is made out of Poly Urethane. Strong stuff but a toughy to fix.
When Poly Urethane breaks it breaks into pieces. When fiberglass breaks.. it cracks [or can also break into a piece depending how it cracked].

That's definitely a good price!

I believe you can get similar prices from the Azine vendors.

lol. Oh the joys of be a Can-EH-dian.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Okay so I arrived at the Greyhound Carrier place. Picked up the lip with no issues.
All shipping fees were prepaid by OEMLIP.COM [where I found out that they are also called "FX BODY KIT"].
That saved me about 25 dollars.

Now, onward!

I was a fool for not checking the condition of the lip when I received it... but it didn't bother me too much.
I had faith that the lip was not beyond damaged as I have some experience with fiberglassing.

The package was wrapped about three or four times in bubble wrap... and a lot of tape. There was no box. No biggy. However, the "fragile" sign scared me.

At first glance the lip seems very nice and well made.

I observed it for any cracks or damages. There was one. Probably about the size of my thumb... no biggy. I can fix that.

Upon closer inspection, it is clear that you will need a bit of time to prep this for painting. It feels smooth and pre-prepped but you will notice waves and a few minor imperfections in the finishing.

The lip is aprox. 1/2cm in thickness. The thickness is uniform throughout the lip.

To test how much the "flex fiberglass" can flex.. I began to twist it and slowly gave it more pressure.
No signs of cracking.
Then oops... one twist too many and the crack had opened up a little bit more. No biggy. I can fix that.

I then took the lip outside to the TL. I aligned the lip to the bumper. Seems like it'll fit.
I began to put the lip against the bumper as if I were installing it. Seems snug. Seems to fit very well.
However... my foglight covers were in the way. Thus I was not able to properly test the fitment of the lip as it will not go in all the way.
I am a little unwilling to remove my foglights and what not as I have a tendency to forget to fasten my fenderliners back on. I've shredded 3 pairs of fender-liners thus far and just recently installed new ones.

Also, I plan to have the lip wrapped in CF. This should help the structural integrity of the lip.
Also, I plan to began fabbing a splitter for the A-Spec.
That being said, it will be a while before the front-replica-A-Spec will be installed.
Some other random pictures below:

Old 03-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Suzuka Master

In reality if you were just going to use it for a Aspec lip then by the time you prep it or pay to have it prepped then have it sprayed and sprayed properly ( tri-coat ) your prolly looking at close to a OEM one that is better quality.

Why wouldn't it clear your fog light lenses? If it was an OEM clone and you don't have aftermarket foggs then it should fit.

After seeing how they packaged it ( no box ) I can see how it was subject to damage.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

In reality if you were just going to use it for a Aspec lip then by the time you prep it or pay to have it prepped then have it sprayed and sprayed properly ( tri-coat ) your prolly looking at close to a OEM one that is better quality.

Why wouldn't it clear your fog light lenses? If it was an OEM clone and you don't have aftermarket foggs then it should fit.

After seeing how they packaged it ( no box ) I can see how it was subject to damage.
Well, I mainly got the lip to use it for a project. I figured it's better than using a non-prepped/non-painted replica rather than the real thing.
My buddy's dad works at a very reputable paint/body shop here in Windsor... so in the end the lip would still cost less than OEM for me. [if I don't wrap it up in CF].
It would not clear the fog light lenses because I have Accord-Foglights in the lower grille that I had re-fabricated to accomodate projector-fogs. The way I ended up installing it is blocking the rest of the lip from entering the lower grille.

The damage is not so bad... but I know that there are some picky people out there. Luckily for me I have experience with FG so it's not a hard fix.

The packaging was actually pretty good for just bubble wrap... But it's still bubble wrap.

Last edited by o4Komodo; 03-16-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

The replica is a inexpensive alternative to the OEM lip. Especially for those who's dealers are selling it for 500+.
You do have to watch out for damages to the lip though. If you decide to order from OEMLIP.com than make sure you open the package onsight as you receive your lip.

There are some testimonials where people have received their lips in perfect condition.. I was a little unlucky.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Suzuka Master

I guess the point I was making is for that average Joe with no FRP skills or prep skills the $200 could explode into very close to the cost of an OEM one once it was prepped & properly painted. .
Old 03-16-2010, 08:16 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

I guess the point I was making is for that average Joe with no FRP skills or prep skills the $200 could explode into very close to the cost of an OEM one once it was prepped & properly painted. .
Very true.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:26 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good project. Keep us posted.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:57 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered my front and rear lip from curry acura and it came out to $305 CDN. each, which includes shipping, taxes and duties. good thing about buying OEM is that its a perfect fit, its painted and comes with all the mounting hardware.

I looked into buying the replica lip but by the time you get it painted and buy the hardware you will be close to if not more than the cost of an OEM.