Sponsored by:

Front Bumper Damage. Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Front Bumper Damage. Opinions?

Hi all,
I annoyingly just noticed some damaged on the front bumper of my tl yesterday that I missed at the dealership last week when I bought the car. Since I've got a temp tag in the window and won't have my plates for a little bot I figured I'd take the front license plate bracket off because the car obviously looks better without it. But upon removing it I found some very undesired damage. I posted a pic below. It looks as though whoever owned the car before me rear ended/tapped another car causing a little bit of damage. The clear coat looks like it's got some cracks in it and the top screws that hold the license plate punctured the bumper entirely. I'm not sure what to do, whether to take it to a body shop like maaco or something affordable, or just purchasing a new bumper altogether. What are some people's thoughts on what to do? I'd appreciate the insight, thanks!!

-Justin

ps: sorry for the image quality, just took a few mins ago on my phone and it's dark out so I used a flashlight, I'll try and get a better pic up tomorrow.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Put the front plate back on? You're probably looking at a couple hundred buck minimum to fix that.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by geekybiker
Put the front plate back on? You're probably looking at a couple hundred buck minimum to fix that.
Yeah I know, that's the quick and easy fix lol. But I eventually want to get a Type-S A-spec lip and just the fact that damage is there bothers me and I want it fixed and looking clean lol. I'm not sure which would cost more, getting it fixed or a new bumper.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
+ 1 on getting fix.
New bumper is UNPAINT (someone correct me if i am wrong), so when you said new bumper you are looking at the cost of the actual bumper plus paint
Old 08-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by meowevil
+ 1 on getting fix.
New bumper is UNPAINT (someone correct me if i am wrong), so when you said new bumper you are looking at the cost of the actual bumper plus paint
Yes I was looking for a total cost of bumper+paint. I tried looking around in the black market for a ASM one but no luck. Only a few WDP and NBP bumpers I saw. I might go to maaco or another body shop sometime this week and get an estimate but I know the labor is going to be mucho $$$
Old 08-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sell me your bumper and go buy a new one lol.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:51 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take it back!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
I would first take your car to a body shop and find out how much it will cost to repair the damage.
I think that's your best option.

A new un-painted bumper will cost about $250 new.
A decent paint job will run about $300.

Good luck!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Boom, $377 painted and shipped to your door, guaranteed paint match.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...Q5fAccessories
Old 08-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had the same issue with my TL... I used a heat gun at 750 degrees on the BACK SIDE for about a minute in a circular motion... Then taking a damp rag and pushing the ABS back out... You will need to get the bumper repainted at some point... The heat gun and the pushing of the ABS will make the paint retract from the damage areas. I got my front bumper repainted and all the chrome as well for $250...
Old 08-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by usmarinedelta
Boom, $377 painted and shipped to your door, guaranteed paint match.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...Q5fAccessories
Cheap b/c it's not OEM.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nhb04tl
Sell me your bumper and go buy a new one lol.
Where are you located at? I might be willing to sell you the bumper and put the money towards a replacement. I'm south jersey right outside of philly.

Originally Posted by paz840
Cheap b/c it's not OEM.
Yeah the price on the is good but I'd like to keep it acura brand and not aftermarket.

Originally Posted by xtmslyy00
I had the same issue with my TL... I used a heat gun at 750 degrees on the BACK SIDE for about a minute in a circular motion... Then taking a damp rag and pushing the ABS back out... You will need to get the bumper repainted at some point... The heat gun and the pushing of the ABS will make the paint retract from the damage areas. I got my front bumper repainted and all the chrome as well for $250...
That sounds like a good plan, I don't have a heat gun though or really any place to work on it besides the parking lot since I live in a condo, ugh I wish I had a garage lol. My only worry if I actually tried to fix it though is the clear coat that's cracked. I'd have to sand that down as well but like you said it'd be repainted.

Once I get some time next week I'll get a quote for the repairs and if it's feasible I'll just get it fixed. Otherwise I'll just deal with it for the mean time and when I have the money saved up for an A-spec kit I'll get a new front bumper as well. I'm sure there are some vendors on here with good deals better than going to the parts department at a dealership? I appreciate the input everyone!
Old 08-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Instructor

I have very similar damage on my front bumper the quotes I got were around the $700 - $800 range for a new painted bumper.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:54 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That sounds like a good plan, I don't have a heat gun though or really any place to work on it besides the parking lot since I live in a condo, ugh I wish I had a garage lol. My only worry if I actually tried to fix it though is the clear coat that's cracked. I'd have to sand that down as well but like you said it'd be repainted.

Once I get some time next week I'll get a quote for the repairs and if it's feasible I'll just get it fixed. Otherwise I'll just deal with it for the mean time and when I have the money saved up for an A-spec kit I'll get a new front bumper as well. I'm sure there are some vendors on here with good deals better than going to the parts department at a dealership? I appreciate the input everyone!
You are welcome, the dealership wanted to much, I too thought I needed to replace the whole thing... when I tried the heat gun and it worked I was very happy... I would go that route and see if you can do it at a buddies... if you have no way of using a garage take the bumper off and bring it inside your pad... I use to do that all the time in my Apartment, shit I broke down the whole front of my street bike in my apartment LOL. I put down a lot of cardboard but I am sure you see my point

Shop around for some painters and get quotes. A heat gun is 15 - 20 bucks max at HD!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Hmmm you just bought the car from a dealer. It should be covered under their warranty. When I bought my 350Z the drivers side window up motor went out. This was about a week after a bought it. Took it to the dealer and they had it repaired at the Nissan dealership. Cost was $400+, but free to me. I'd take your car back and show them the damage that you discovered.