Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Foot-steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 03:48 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foot-steering

My ABP/Quartz w/Navi arrives in the next few days. It will then go to a shop that installs adaptive equipment that will add a second steering device to the floor of the car. I have used such a device for many years because I can't use my arms much. They're also adding a low-effort steering assist plus back-up because the steering disk is only 10" across and requires a bit more effort than hands-on-wheel. Talk about your oversteer! I noticed that Honda has produced its own foot-steering system called Franz which appeared at the auto show there, but it's not available in the U.S.

BTW, this forum has been a great read and I'll let you know my impressions of the car as soon as I get to drive it. I haven't yet had the pleasure.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:05 PM
6MT & LSD

hi, welcome to the forum!

i'm having a hard time picturing this device... got any pics of your past ride?
Old 05-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the welcome ndx2. It comes from Drive Master in NJ. It will look similar to the gear at the bottom of their web page below, but it's black and without the loafer. The principal is the same as a steering knob if you know what that is. It'll be real easy for me to drive but others (wife, friends) find it very difficult. It takes hours of practice (or years of experience).

http://www.drive-master.com/steering.htm
Old 05-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Steering Knob, V-grip, and Pin Steering Device, etc. are quite popular...

Welcome to the forum

I heard that device in Japan, but haven't seen one in US. Have you asked Honda dealers or any other dealers who may provide the similar device?

Honda FRANZ System
Old 05-26-2005, 04:51 PM
Advanced

My experienced Acura salesman is clueless. When I asked him if Acura offers a mobililty program such as $1,000 rebate if you equip the car with adaptive equipment like Toyota, Ford, Chrysler and others, he flat out told me no. What a jerk! He didn't even offer to check on it. They do of course as the link below shows.

http://www.acura.com/about/abo_mob_index.asp

I read that Franz was not available for the U.S. but haven't checked with any dealers.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats interesting. So do they get rid of the steering wheel too? Or your wife will just have to get used to having that near the pedles. Im not coordinated enought to push a pedal with 1 foot and turn a wheel with the other.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:35 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Couldn't that be dangerous in a collision. Since you'd have to use both feet to coordinate and most people have only a one sided brian???
Old 05-26-2005, 08:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by J RIDE 81
Couldn't that be dangerous in a collision. Since you'd have to use both feet to coordinate and most people have only a one sided brian???
I don't have collisions. In fact today I noticed that everyone who got in an accident was driving with their hands.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by crazymjb
Thats interesting. So do they get rid of the steering wheel too? Or your wife will just have to get used to having that near the pedles. Im not coordinated enought to push a pedal with 1 foot and turn a wheel with the other.
I guess it would be a good way to prevent car theft, but the steering wheel stays. It can be driven with either steering wheel.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:26 PM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Welcome to the forum NimbleLooper!

It's interesting how your TL will be fitted for your particular needs. I'd be interested in seeing photos of the finished product.

My brother-in-law had a stroke around five years ago and his left side was significantly impacted. He can walk with a cane, and has a motorized wheel chair for occasions when the walk is too long. Once his strength returned to the point that he could drive, his Toyota Sienna mini-van was fitted to allow him to control the stuff on the left side of the car with his right hand. A wheelchair lift was installed where the second row seats were, and his motorized chair gets buckled to the lift and can be easily removed and placed in the car by him.

Good luck with the car and retro-fits. Be sure to post pics!

Oh, and great color choices!

Regards,
Old 05-26-2005, 09:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NimbleLooper
My experienced Acura salesman is clueless. When I asked him if Acura offers a mobililty program such as $1,000 rebate if you equip the car with adaptive equipment like Toyota, Ford, Chrysler and others, he flat out told me no. What a jerk! He didn't even offer to check on it. They do of course as the link below shows.

http://www.acura.com/about/abo_mob_index.asp

I read that Franz was not available for the U.S. but haven't checked with any dealers.

-Check w/ the parts and /or service mngr @ your Acura dealer. When I was working for Honda and Saab they both had info available regarding who (which equipment manufacturers) might be compatible...
Old 05-26-2005, 10:00 PM
Racer

I don't have collisions. In fact today I noticed that everyone who got in an accident was driving with their hands.
roflma
Old 05-26-2005, 10:01 PM
Suzuka Master

I really like the escalade on Monster Garage. Also makes sense they would keep the steering wheel, air bag. Call me a geek, but I always thought it would be cool to use a game controller to control your car.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:53 AM
6MT & LSD

we got a smart ass over here.

NimbleLooper J RIDE 81

NimbleLooper 1, J RIDE 81 0. haha
Old 05-27-2005, 07:31 AM
I'm Baaack!

Old 07-19-2005, 04:16 PM
Advanced

Well they finished the installation of the various devices that I need. Very nice job. Here is a photo.

Old 07-19-2005, 04:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
I wonder how much harder it is to drive
Old 07-20-2005, 11:35 AM
I'm Baaack!

You know I was thinking about this thread just the other day ..... cool rig.. thanks for the update.

(and enjoy the car!)