fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004 | 05:10 PM
Advanced

Arrow fog lights

im thinking about ordering these hid fog lights for 04 tl has anybody done it or now a good place to go for them
Old 02-16-2004 | 06:32 PM
Racer

Do you mean that you intend to replace the stock foglights with HID replacements? If so, do they simply fit into the present fixture without modification?
Old 02-16-2004 | 06:56 PM
Racer

any pics?
Old 02-16-2004 | 07:04 PM
TLover

the HID should fit, but you have to make sure that there is no plastic near the HID that can melt, b/c HID bulbs burn much hoter then the stock bulbs.
Old 02-16-2004 | 07:11 PM
Advanced

there are no stock fog lights in the new tl
Old 02-16-2004 | 08:11 PM
Racer

Originally posted by mikeyalvz04tl
there are no stock fog lights in the new tl
of course there is. read the manual.
Old 02-16-2004 | 08:21 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

right next to ur HIDs......... I was confused too
Old 02-16-2004 | 09:09 PM
Advanced

i dont mean inside the headlights im talking abount ones under the headlights
Old 02-16-2004 | 09:12 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

can u show us the pics of what ur gonna put on?
Old 02-16-2004 | 09:14 PM
TLover

iam thinking about getting Fogs too so if you do it, post some pics and instructions on how you mounted and wired them. what fogs were you looking at? link plz? thanx
Old 02-16-2004 | 09:14 PM
Advanced

i dont have one but i ll try to find one
Old 02-16-2004 | 10:10 PM
Racer

Your TL definitely came with standard equipment foglights. They are integrated into the headlight array, but they are not HID, they're incandescant. The switch is located on the inner part of left hand steering wheel stalk (blinkers).
Old 02-16-2004 | 10:12 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

^
Your TL definitely came with standard equipment foglights. They are integrated into the headlight array, but they are not HID, they're incandescant. The switch is located on the inner part of left hand steering wheel stalk (blinkers).
:smackhead oh god, he's talkin about putting another set of FOGLIGHTS
Old 02-17-2004 | 11:58 AM
Newbie for Life

i dont mean inside the headlights im talking abount ones under the headlights
Just because the stock foglights aren't under the headlights doesn't make them not foglights. The US TL does indeed have foglights as stated by a few people in this thread as they are in the headlight housing to the inside of the HID headlights.

The Canadian folks are those that don't have any foglights as they have DRL's instead.
Old 02-17-2004 | 12:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by desijatt
:smackhead oh god, he's talkin about putting another set of FOGLIGHTS
what's wrong with that?i wanna change the fogs in the headlight cluster to xenons and get a pair of xenon foglights just can't figure out where to put them because of the CAI. i want to be able to blind oncoming traffic.
Old 02-17-2004 | 12:22 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

I wanna do the same thing but I was referring to UminChu's post.
Old 02-17-2004 | 01:01 PM
Banned

I'm not aware if any HID fog lights in the market. Blue bulbs yes HIDS no.
Old 02-17-2004 | 01:05 PM
Banned

I'm not aware if any HID fog lights in the market. Blue bulbs yes HIDS no. Personally adding additional fogs will damage the clean look of the front. In any case the stock fogs work very well.
Old 02-17-2004 | 01:44 PM
TLover

Originally posted by vtechbrain
I'm not aware if any HID fog lights in the market. Blue bulbs yes HIDS no. Personally adding additional fogs will damage the clean look of the front. In any case the stock fogs work very well.

xenon bulbs are HID, HID doesnt mean that are the ones like the headlighs. the headlights are HID, but there are all kinds of HID bulbs. HID (High Intesity Discharge) means that that they a have gas in them to make them brighter and whiter, and still in a small size. so xenon and halogen are HID.

and i want them too, for the light and the look. and while on the subject. does anyone know hoe i can use the stock fogs as DRL?
Old 02-17-2004 | 02:43 PM
Racer

there is a knockout panel on the dash for [3rd party] stuff. a salesman told me that. I love the look of the lower front fog lights and I know they can be operated from a switch installed in that knockout panel. I am going to a local shop to see what they have and if its not too expensive I will have them installed. looks are subjective so dont criticize people who want this look.
Old 02-17-2004 | 04:38 PM
TLover

Originally posted by digital_b
there is a knockout panel on the dash for [3rd party] stuff. a salesman told me that. I love the look of the lower front fog lights and I know they can be operated from a switch installed in that knockout panel. I am going to a local shop to see what they have and if its not too expensive I will have them installed. looks are subjective so dont criticize people who want this look.
i know about that panel. let me know how it went with your fogs and the installation of the wiring. ask them if they can put more then one switch. pics plz thanx
Old 02-17-2004 | 05:11 PM
never stops!

Re: fog lights

im thinking about ordering these hid fog lights for 04 tl has anybody done it or now a good place to go for them
Mike, where do you intend to install them? I hope you know that the grill cannot be used since it's the place to suck the air for CAI.
Old 02-17-2004 | 06:17 PM
ImayBparanoidButNoAndroid

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tlxlr8s
[B]xenon bulbs are HID, HID doesnt mean that are the ones like the headlighs. the headlights are HID, but there are all kinds of HID bulbs. HID (High Intesity Discharge) means that that they a have gas in them to make them brighter and whiter, and still in a small size. so xenon and halogen are HID.

Are you saying that halogen bulbs advertised as having xenon gas are the same as HID's? They are not. Xenon or HID lamps create light by igniting an arc between two electrodes, no filament. I beleive the xenon gas is added to help with the light off period. Arc discharche lamps are slow to get up to full output. When you turn your headlights on, they start out dim and brighten up after several seconds.

Also, the halogen gas in conventional bulbs is there to keep the filament from breaking down, the gas does not produce any light. So although there are several halogen bulbs on the market advertised as being "xenon" lights, the're really nothing more than colored bulbs.
Old 02-17-2004 | 06:28 PM
Pro

I hope I never have to see a TL with colored lights on the hood or some crap
Old 02-17-2004 | 06:40 PM
Racer

if we(canadians) were to install fog lights, where would we mount them?
Old 02-17-2004 | 09:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by apwalsh
I hope I never have to see a TL with colored lights on the hood or some crap
if i decide to keep tha car for more than a couple of years, i'd change out the washers for blue washer lights
Old 02-17-2004 | 09:50 PM
TLover

[QUOTE]Originally posted by automata
[B]
Originally posted by tlxlr8s
xenon bulbs are HID, HID doesnt mean that are the ones like the headlighs. the headlights are HID, but there are all kinds of HID bulbs. HID (High Intesity Discharge) means that that they a have gas in them to make them brighter and whiter, and still in a small size. so xenon and halogen are HID.

Are you saying that halogen bulbs advertised as having xenon gas are the same as HID's? They are not. Xenon or HID lamps create light by igniting an arc between two electrodes, no filament. I beleive the xenon gas is added to help with the light off period. Arc discharche lamps are slow to get up to full output. When you turn your headlights on, they start out dim and brighten up after several seconds.

Also, the halogen gas in conventional bulbs is there to keep the filament from breaking down, the gas does not produce any light. So although there are several halogen bulbs on the market advertised as being "xenon" lights, the're really nothing more than colored bulbs.
you might be right on the halogen after thinking about it, but the xenon on the headlights and the ones in fogs are not made the same. your right about the arc in the headlights but the fogs dont use that technology. they are similar to the halogen. its just that the xenon bulbs have xenon gas in them and the halogen bulbs have tungston quertz halogen gas in them. and btw the halogen gas in the bulbs are not just for the filiment. they also make the light whiter and brighter. go to a light bulb store and youl see halogen bulbs with 500w and are tiny.
Old 02-17-2004 | 09:56 PM
TLover

Re: Re: fog lights

Originally posted by joganjani
Mike, where do you intend to install them? I hope you know that the grill cannot be used since it's the place to suck the air for CAI.
i woul install them in the lower vents. b/c if they would be in the grill it would look like there are two sets of head lights, and fogs belong at the lower part of the car. id install them in a way that you cant so the fogs mounted but only the light at night. so in the day you wouldnt know the're there.
Old 02-17-2004 | 10:09 PM
Team Owner

Re: Re: fog lights

Originally posted by joganjani
He might still be able to get away with it. The CAI inlet in the bumper is not directly connected to the engine intake; the CAI inlet simply helps to place cooler air under the hood; the engine ingests the air through another inlet in the same area under the hood.

There were some good diagrams posted somewhere in this forum before the big database crash erased them that would have been a good reference for what I am describing.

Mike
Old 02-17-2004 | 10:18 PM
TLover

most of the air comes from under the bumper and not the bumper vents. i thought that was odd too, but check out this video. it was posted on another post.

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-a...ticle_id=197549
Old 02-17-2004 | 11:11 PM
Advanced

i would never put them in the grill that would just look ridiculous i would install them in the lower grilles just like in the 2003 came with stock of of course there is Xenox HID foglights the only reason i want external ones is because the car would look mean looking from the front at night. when the weather the weather gets nicer im gonna try to install them so ill post how unless somebody figures it out and plz let us all no how u did it
Old 02-17-2004 | 11:14 PM
TLover

i would never put them in the grill that would just look ridiculous i would install them in the lower grilles just like in the 2003 came with stock of of course there is Xenox HID foglights the only reason i want external ones is because the car would look mean looking from the front at night. when the weather the weather gets nicer im gonna try to install them so ill post how unless somebody figures it out and plz let us all no how u did it
agree 100%
Old 02-17-2004 | 11:28 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Originally posted by adam209
if i decide to keep tha car for more than a couple of years, i'd change out the washers for blue washer lights
the washers are not on top of the hood anymore, but next to the windshield... you can still install mockups!!!
Old 02-18-2004 | 12:52 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Post Re: CAI info...

Originally posted by svtmike

There were some good diagrams posted somewhere in this forum before the big database crash erased them that would have been a good reference for what I am describing.

My gallery has one CAI pic, downloaded from Vtec.net, you guys may take a look. Due to the server issue, I have problem to upload any photo bigger than 1kb now.

Blue color fresh air
Orange is ambient air of engine bay, mixed with fresh air from the vent and hot warm air under the hood.

Wish this could help for understanding.
Old 02-18-2004 | 12:57 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Lightbulb

most of the air comes from under the bumper and not the bumper vents. i thought that was odd too, but check out this video. it was posted on another post.

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-a...ticle_id=197549

Sorry, did I miss something? I couldn't find the part talking about the air coming under the bumper. Four videos out there. May I know which video chip you're talking about?

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2004 | 01:12 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Originally posted by rets
Sorry, did I miss something? I couldn't find the part talking about the air coming under the bumper. Four videos out there. May I know which video chip you're talking about?

Thanks.
I think he's referring to video # 1 below...

TL videos: (if they don't work, try again later...)
1 - Under your TL 29.1MB
2 - Front brake ducting 7.1MB
3 - Torquesteer 7.5MB
4 - Cold-weather performance of optional HPT tires. 5.3MB

they come from :
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=197549
Old 02-18-2004 | 01:17 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

ok well where the fu(k am I gonna put foglights then? hey what about where the front lic. plate frame goes.... since my car doesn't have that **** in front, y not hook it up there
Old 02-18-2004 | 01:51 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Exclamation

Originally posted by NOX 3.2
I think he's referring to video # 1 below...

Thanks, I think so. I just heard the part talking about "air under the bumper" is to help cool off the engine, but TOV video didn't directly indicate that CAI air would come from there too.

Acura said...

TL has a special cold-air induction system as standard equipment. Ambient air is picked up through an inlet in the left front fascia, and fed by a duct to the engine air intake. Depending on vehicle speed, this system supplies the engine with ambient air that is much as 15 degrees F. cooler than typical engine compartment air.
A new low-restriction induction system improves breathing in the new TL. In addition to providing more aggressive sound under acceleration, this new system flows 40 percent more air than the system in the '03 TL, and about four percent more than in the '03 Type-S.

But, we couldn't deny CAI air could come from anywhere in the engine bay.

Check my gallery with CAI pic.

Someone downstairs complained I brought up the mixed topic. Sorry.
Old 02-18-2004 | 02:06 AM
Advanced

Since we are on the topic of fogs.... Can the integrated fogs be aimed? Separately from the headlights? Can the headlights be aimed to level out the pattern?
Old 02-18-2004 | 03:15 PM
Banned

and i want them too, for the light and the look. and while on the subject. does anyone know hoe i can use the stock fogs as DRL?
A lot of people are getting this all mixed up. HID as you said means High Intensity Dischrge. The gas they are filled with is immaterial HIDs do not use a filament to produce light (halogens do) They utilize an electric arc device. After market bulb producers have been muddling the waters to sell blue halogens as HIDS they are not. Silvania sells the Silver stars which are hotter running and thus brighter halogens but they have a shorter life than regular bulbs.
Little info on bulbs: The halogen designation desination comes from filling the bulbs with "noble" gases argon, xenon, krypton or other. The gas used doesnt matter the purpose is to prevent oxidation thus allowing the filament, usually tungsten, to run hotter and thus brighter. HIDS on the other hand dispense with the filament and use an electric arc. Ever notice the color of light in an arc welder, voila bright white light!

Quick Reply: fog lights