Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog Light Wiring Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 07:34 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Fog Light Wiring Help

I just installed Accord Inspire fog lights to my bumper.

I want to wire my fog lights on my 05 TL to turn on with the stock fog lights that are built into the headlights.

Do connect below #2 (positive battery cable) to the fog light fuse under the hood with a add a fuse circuit adapter?

Also if this is the method that works, can I rip out the wires for the fog light switch that are connected to the relay #7?

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 493 Likes on 375 Posts
It would work, but it would power up those light from the same circuit as the stock fog lights. If you're using both LEDs in stock and new fog lights, that have total power less than stock incandescent fog lights, then that would be fine.
If you do this that way, you might as well throw out most of this harness since you don't need relay and switch, just two plugs that connect to light bulbs and some wire, but I'm guessing you don't want to modify this harness.
This way switch and relay are still required. Disconnect one/both and no power to the lights.

If they draw more power total than stock, then it might be too much current for that circuit. Might work for some time, but might overheat something.

To do this properly, with this wiring harness, you need to connect #2 to bat +, and figure out which wire from the switch that they provide triggers the relay. Then power that relay from the stock fog fuse. This way you will only draw extra power for relay's coil, not for two new bulbs and relay's coil.

To do this even better, get a different harness that have bat+ bat- and trigger wires, without the switch, since you don't want to use the switch anyways.
The following users liked this post:
kevin_9634 (01-20-2023)
Old 06-27-2022, 05:07 PM
Racer

I'm running LASFIT LED's in factory fog lights that have 25 watt per Bulb.

Amazon.com: 9006 LED Head Light Bulbs, LASFIT HB4 LED Bulbs 6000K White, Automotive Light Bulbs 5000 Lumens, 10 Years Lifespan, Pack of 2 : Automotive Amazon.com: 9006 LED Head Light Bulbs, LASFIT HB4 LED Bulbs 6000K White, Automotive Light Bulbs 5000 Lumens, 10 Years Lifespan, Pack of 2 : Automotive

For the Inspire fog lights I also have LASFITS that are 32 watt per bulb

Amazon.com: H11 LED Headlight Bulbs with Built-In Decoder, CREE Chips 12000 Lumens Super Bright 6000K Cool White, H9 H8 Hi/Lo Beam Fog Light Bulb Halogen Replacement Conversion Kit : Automotive Amazon.com: H11 LED Headlight Bulbs with Built-In Decoder, CREE Chips 12000 Lumens Super Bright 6000K Cool White, H9 H8 Hi/Lo Beam Fog Light Bulb Halogen Replacement Conversion Kit : Automotive
Old 06-27-2022, 05:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by peter6
It would work, but it would power up those light from the same circuit as the stock fog lights. If you're using both LEDs in stock and new fog lights, that have total power less than stock incandescent fog lights, then that would be fine.
If you do this that way, you might as well throw out most of this harness since you don't need relay and switch, just two plugs that connect to light bulbs and some wire, but I'm guessing you don't want to modify this harness.
This way switch and relay are still required. Disconnect one/both and no power to the lights.

If they draw more power total than stock, then it might be too much current for that circuit. Might work for some time, but might overheat something.

To do this properly, with this wiring harness, you need to connect #2 to bat +, and figure out which wire from the switch that they provide triggers the relay. Then power that relay from the stock fog fuse. This way you will only draw extra power for relay's coil, not for two new bulbs and relay's coil.

To do this even better, get a different harness that have bat+ bat- and trigger wires, without the switch, since you don't want to use the switch anyways.
What point could I modify the wire to a single wire to connect to the fog light fuse.
Old 06-27-2022, 06:05 PM
Racer

I have the following to modify the fog light wires:

Amazon.com: Nilight - 50025R 50pcs Solder Seal Wire Connector, Solder Seal Heat Shrink Butt Connectors,Electrical Waterproof Insulated Marine Automotive Copper(23Red 12Blue 10White 5Yellow),2 Years Warranty : Automotive Amazon.com: Nilight - 50025R 50pcs Solder Seal Wire Connector, Solder Seal Heat Shrink Butt Connectors,Electrical Waterproof Insulated Marine Automotive Copper(23Red 12Blue 10White 5Yellow),2 Years Warranty : Automotive

Old 06-27-2022, 07:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

You can't use fog light fuse since that fuse always have power, which is later switched by the relay, but there's no add-a-fuse things for the relays. In this case you must tap into the one of the wires going to the stock fog light bulbs.

I have really good idea for you. Get something like:

Amazon Amazon

Those should plug in in-between the factory fog light plug and factory fog light bulb. Then we simply cut them in half.

Then wiring would go like:

Bottom connectors come from this thing that I linked, top you can buy separate or borrow from the harness that you have.
Do two of those, for each bulb. Wire between oem fog light bulb and oem connector from the car can be really short, wire from those two to the new fog light should be long enough to reach the new fog light (duh!).

I don't know how much you paid for the harness that you already have and if you can return it, but since you won't use most of it, it might be better to buy separate connector that will plug into your new fog lights.
There's ton of them on Amazon, just search for "H11 plug". Although you might need extra wire to make them long enough.
The following users liked this post:
CenturionTL (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 08:11 PM
Racer

You see this thread:

Accord Fogs Wiring Help !!!! - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

I want to wire like this - without the switch. I don't want to cut into OEM wires.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Then connect fog light to parking light circuit. They will turn on with sidemarkers, and will blind when you unlock the car with the remote, and will be independent from the factory fog lights.

If you want them to be dependent on the factory fog light, either cut oem wires, or buy harness like one I posted.

If connecting them to sidemarkers is fine, then you need different wiring harness (like one in that thread that you posted) as modifying existing harness will be too complicated.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:39 AM
Racer

Ok, so I figured out a way.

I attached an add a fuse adapter to the driver's side headlight and attached the inspire fog lights to them. For the fuse I used a 10 amp fuse instead of the 15 amp fuse that came with the inspire fog light wiring.

I cut off the 15 amp fuse from the fog light wiring harness and soldered the two wires together.

I ghetto rigged the fog light switch to fit :

The inspire fog lights only come on when the headlights are on. They stay on when the high beams are on. At any point I can switch them off.

Old 06-29-2022, 05:20 PM
Racer

Old 06-29-2022, 05:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Old 06-29-2022, 06:19 PM
Racer

?