Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid Color

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 05:52 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fluid Color

Writing this post in regards to what is expected as normal for our transmission fluid color.

The general consensus on websites related to transmissions in general say it should be red, bright pink, etc etc. One of the websites also mentioned that if the color is light brown it is indicating some burnt fluid or such.

My car is currently at 258,000 km (160 miles give or take), pretty high mileage (i know some of you have higher mileages but im just considering mine as pretty high mileage for a car).

I've currently done my 4th transmission fluid change and ever since two fluid changes ago, i added in some lucas stop slip cause i noticed my tranny was jerking its second gear when i first got it at times. My tranny drives pretty damn smoothly, also sometimes i find after doing the gas pedal ECU reset, it becomes jerky again and i have to do the ECU reset again for it to get back to normal. For now, it gets in and out of gear pretty smoothly. My last fluid change was a month ago and i took a before picture. and after picture.

BEFORE:

After:

The before photo was taken a day after the fluid change (month ago).

The after is the current, (month later). You can see the color turned somewhat light light brown compared to the cherry color that it currently has.

I've never done a 3x3 before where you drain and drive for like 20 mins and repeat. But my 4 tranny fluid changes all have been maybe 3 months between each other.

I know our trannys are prone to failure but is this an indicator?
I find our transmissions jerk when we don't let it go into gear before we let off our gas pedals.

I do have the money aside and a source to get a newly rebuilt tranny but I'm hoping I won't need to go that route.

Is this normal? Perhaps my internals just have some dirt left that needs to be drained out? Or do I have a burning tranny problem? I will admit I drive my car pretty hard but yeah any thoughts?
Old 03-06-2016, 06:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
The fluid looks fine.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:05 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
You're concern about the transmission taking a dump, but you're upset you lost to an Elantra?

The ECU "learns" how you drive. Doing a reset, the system goes through the process to learn once again.

The color is fine, but color alone won't tell you how soon or late the transmission will fail. Certainly, racing on the highway won't help extend the life of your trans. You will never keep that fluid 100% clean. You do the flush today and within a month, the color starts to taint brownish.

Check your motor mounts as well. Not sure if it's contributing to the "jerk" sensation you get. The biggest indicator is, slippage and the flashing D light. Others have heard a loud whine for a few months before the transmission taking a dump. Either way, the main issue will be, is it worth investing a transmission on a high mileage vehicle? It's something to think about if this does happen.

BTW, you ever fix that dipstick?
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (03-07-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 06:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
You're concern about the transmission taking a dump, but you're upset you lost to an Elantra?

The ECU "learns" how you drive. Doing a reset, the system goes through the process to learn once again.

The color is fine, but color alone won't tell you how soon or late the transmission will fail. Certainly, racing on the highway won't help extend the life of your trans. You will never keep that fluid 100% clean. You do the flush today and within a month, the color starts to taint brownish.

Check your motor mounts as well. Not sure if it's contributing to the "jerk" sensation you get. The biggest indicator is, slippage and the flashing D light. Others have heard a loud whine for a few months before the transmission taking a dump. Either way, the main issue will be, is it worth investing a transmission on a high mileage vehicle? It's something to think about if this does happen.

BTW, you ever fix that dipstick?
Maybe I'll leave the ECU alone then. Perhaps I have to drive this car more "normally".
Yes, not catching up with that random Elantras WOT was hurtful..
All jokes aside.
I've asked my mechanic three times to check my mounts but he always says "there fine". Sometimes I feel as when I break, the transmission is somewhat loose. So maybe that's what's causing my jerkiness.
And yes the dipstick has been replaced. Bought a new one from Honda.

Also, considering I don't have money for a new car atm. My mechanic said it'll be 800$ labor for new tranny + buying the tranny will probably cost me well over a grand so I'm looking at around 2200$ still cheaper than buying a new car.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:01 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by ericcdong
Maybe I'll leave the ECU alone then. Perhaps I have to drive this car more "normally".
Yes, not catching up with that random Elantras WOT was hurtful..
All jokes aside.
I've asked my mechanic three times to check my mounts but he always says "there fine". Sometimes I feel as when I break, the transmission is somewhat loose. So maybe that's what's causing my jerkiness.
And yes the dipstick has been replaced. Bought a new one from Honda.

Also, considering I don't have money for a new car atm. My mechanic said it'll be 800$ labor for new tranny + buying the tranny will probably cost me well over a grand so I'm looking at around 2200$ still cheaper than buying a new car.
Have your guy inspect the lower control arm bushings and ball joints. Other wise, it's internal symptom for the transmission. Most will tell you to change the pressure switches, you could do that as well to see if it helps.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Have your guy inspect the lower control arm bushings and ball joints. Other wise, it's internal symptom for the transmission. Most will tell you to change the pressure switches, you could do that as well to see if it helps.
i've replaced all of those things. Switches, bushings, ball joints. nothing really helps LOL. Hoping its not my transmission but either way im expecting it to break down sooner or later cause my cars getting old
Old 03-06-2016, 07:35 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

i've replaced all of those things. Switches, bushings, ball joints. nothing really helps LOL. Hoping its not my transmission but either way im expecting it to break down sooner or later cause my cars getting old
Hopefully not.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Writing this post in regards to what is expected as normal for our transmission fluid color.

The general consensus on websites related to transmissions in general say it should be red, bright pink, etc etc. One of the websites also mentioned that if the color is light brown it is indicating some burnt fluid or such.

The after is the current, (month later). You can see the color turned somewhat light light brown compared to the cherry color that it currently has.

I know our trannys are prone to failure but is this an indicator?
ATF fluid is dyed red to distinguish it from other fluids and will discolor when in use which is perfectly normal. Even if dark brown and an odor doesn't indicate a fluid problem as long as there's no contamination (pieces of metal or friction material) in the fluid.
EvilVirus (03-07-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 09:00 AM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
A better indication is how your magnetic drain plug looks. If it looks like a chia pet, you've probably got excessive wear issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by Scottwax:
EvilVirus (03-07-2016), Oh Sickest TL (03-07-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 01:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts
if its any constellation my trans crapped out at 174k. I'm currently getting mine rebuilt with some other stuff I asked him to change for 2300k.

So you have another 14k miles to go.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
When draining the ATF, use a disposable paint strainer to see if any debris and if little or no contamination in the strainer it's fine, and if the magnetic plug has small chips, flakes, or metal fuzz attached, no problem.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:11 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottwax
A better indication is how your magnetic drain plug looks. If it looks like a chia pet, you've probably got excessive wear issues.
beautiful comparison sir
Scottwax (03-08-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 10:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
if its any constellation my trans crapped out at 174k. I'm currently getting mine rebuilt with some other stuff I asked him to change for 2300k.

So you have another 14k miles to go.
just curious, what sorts of symptoms did you notice when it was crapping out? whoa 2300$ thats pretty pricey. do you ever worry your engine will crap out after the tranny is fixed?