Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Week Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 04:36 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by neuronbob
If my wife wanted to upgrade, that's probably what I'd get her. Only she hates the styling of the new Accord; her 2001 suits her just fine. It's lucky for me she is "low-maintenance".
Any training tips?
Old 10-18-2003, 08:22 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by lamster
I know this is a TL site, but have you also looked at alternatives like Infiniti G35 or Maxima? What are your thoughts on those?

If you've already have a TL-S in the house, I think you should get the Accord EX-V6. That'll be a good value.
I like the styling of the G35 but most people think the interior is cheap. the Maxima has strange styling and when I saw one loaded at a local dealer, it was as expensive as a TL. My wife drives the 2003 TL-S for business (Real Estate) so I rarely get to drive it. I want one of my own. That said...unless I can get a TL for much less than MSRP, I will seriously have to consider the Accord.
Old 10-19-2003, 05:56 AM
Instructor

Wow, I am blown away at the number of people who have had major reliability issues with their Honda/Acura products! I thought this was supposed to be a dependable brand...?

I owned a 1986 Toyota Celica GTS which was the first year of that new body style. That car went over 215K without any major problems (it was still on the original clutch when I sold it!).

I guess you get what you pay for, and this is why Lexus' cost more money. They're also built in Japan.

Gundar
Old 10-19-2003, 07:15 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
The mailers for the G35x have been floating around this week. Still do not like the body, but if there was an AWD coupe, that would be hot!
The gas mileage on the G35 is already not too good. An AWD will only make it worse. It is definitely a contender to the TL, but the TL has some advantages over and above the G. And that's not even considering the interior from hell.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally posted by stlgasman
Any training tips?

ROFLMAO.

Actually, I got lucky and married well.
Old 11-15-2003, 02:27 PM
Racer

Rattle in the dash. There was a loose bolt, issue resolved.
Old 01-31-2004, 06:02 PM
7th Gear

Angry 810 VIN Engine Problems

My Vin is 810, and my engine light blinked on and off tonight a number of times. I was pulling in my driveway, and it stayed on. I fly out of town tomorrow morning, so I hope to drop it off at the dealer prior to leaving. I'll see if I can make it. The car is about 3 months old, with 1300 miles on it.

How is your car situation coming?
Old 01-31-2004, 06:04 PM
Instructor

I hadn't seen all these low vin#'s before. What's the lowest anyone has here?
Old 03-05-2004, 03:07 AM
Cruisin'

Unhappy My Malfunction Light blinked again!

On my way home from picking up my TL from the dealership, the Malfunction Engine light flashed. I was on "sport-shift" mode and had left it on 2nd gear for some time. Then the malfunction light blinked for about 5 seconds or so. I switched to full auto and it stopped blinking. I was unable to replicate this until today (2 weeks later). I think I've pinpointed exactly how to replicate this. Here's what I did:

1. Switched to "Sportshift" mode
2. Left the gear at 2
3. Reached 4500RPM at around 50MPH, still at 2nd gear.
4. The malfunction light blinked.

I was able to reproduce this twice doing exactly the steps above. Has anyone tried this also?

BTW, my vin# is 27XXX so it's built fairly recently (Feb).
Old 03-05-2004, 04:04 AM
Zaino under fingernails

My VIN is 31XXX, and so far (1 week) I have had no major problems with initial build quality.

Here are my minor issues:

-I hear/feel a little road vibration at certain speeds with the (crappy?) EL42 tires that they're still shipping.
-Very minor rough idle at first engine startup, smooths up within 10 seconds
-Persistent rainy weather during first week, p**sing me off and raising my blood pressure

Type A Acura owner
Silver/Ebony/5AT/non-NAV
Old 03-05-2004, 12:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Woodstock: mine is a 259, bought Oct 7th I think it was.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:37 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Re: My Malfunction Light blinked again!

That's interesting -- sounds just like the misfire problem from the earlier builds. I wonder if it crept back into the system?

Originally posted by LT-Aruca
On my way home from picking up my TL from the dealership, the Malfunction Engine light flashed. I was on "sport-shift" mode and had left it on 2nd gear for some time. Then the malfunction light blinked for about 5 seconds or so. I switched to full auto and it stopped blinking. I was unable to replicate this until today (2 weeks later). I think I've pinpointed exactly how to replicate this. Here's what I did:

1. Switched to "Sportshift" mode
2. Left the gear at 2
3. Reached 4500RPM at around 50MPH, still at 2nd gear.
4. The malfunction light blinked.

I was able to reproduce this twice doing exactly the steps above. Has anyone tried this also?

BTW, my vin# is 27XXX so it's built fairly recently (Feb).
Old 03-05-2004, 01:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the "misfire" problem was fixed by reprogramming the computer to ignore a certain amount of them, nothing to say that screaming in SS mode wouldn't still exceed that. I still think they need to fix the hardware, not the software, but who are we to say
Old 03-06-2004, 01:38 AM
Cruisin'

Angry What?!?

Heard back from **Acura of Seattle** service regarding the Malfunction Light turning on. The service guy says that it's expected behavior for the engine to misfire if it runs at 4500RPM!!! What a bunch of crap that is!! Are they saying that the engine of the 2004 Acura TL is not designed to handle 4500RPM??? Heck that's over 2000RPM below the starting redline mark of 6800+ RPM! If that's the case then why not redline it at 4500RPM then??

I almost believed the service guy until the loaner car that I got to drive which is also an '04 TL identical to mine (even the color is the same and mileage of 700+ miles) DID NOT BEHAVE THE SAME WAY. I did exactly what I did to my car...using sprotshift, I revved it up to 4500RPM at 2nd gear, and the Malfunction light NEVER FLASHED and NEVER CAME ON. I held it at 4500 up to 5000+ RPM at 50mph on 2nd gear and there was not malfunction light turning on. I did this at least 4 times over 30 miles of driving and I could not replicate it. On my car, I can got the Malfunction light to come on AT WILL by doing exactly this. To me this means that there MUST be something wrong with my car! Don't you guys agree? Otherwise if this was "normal" or "expected" behavior of the engine, then another identical car would exhibit the same behavior wouldn't it?

I will be picking up the car tomorrow and I am ready to argue my case. THEY HAVE TO AGREE THAT THERE's SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY CAR AND THEY HAVE TO FIGURE IT OUT AND FIX IT.
Should I call ACS and mention this?

It is totally UNACCEPTABLE to me that the engine of a brand new $30,000 car is unable to sustain 4500RPM for more than 30seconds without getting into a misfire or having the Malfunction light to come on. Redline starts at around 6800RPM and the car is designed to be able to handle up to that much and beyond.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: What?!?

Originally posted by LT-Aruca
Heard back from **Acura of Seattle** service regarding the Malfunction Light turning on. The service guy says that it's expected behavior for the engine to misfire if it runs at 4500RPM!!! What a bunch of crap that is!! Are they saying that the engine of the 2004 Acura TL is not designed to handle 4500RPM??? Heck that's over 2000RPM below the starting redline mark of 6800+ RPM! If that's the case then why not redline it at 4500RPM then??

I almost believed the service guy until the loaner car that I got to drive which is also an '04 TL identical to mine (even the color is the same and mileage of 700+ miles) DID NOT BEHAVE THE SAME WAY. I did exactly what I did to my car...using sprotshift, I revved it up to 4500RPM at 2nd gear, and the Malfunction light NEVER FLASHED and NEVER CAME ON. I held it at 4500 up to 5000+ RPM at 50mph on 2nd gear and there was not malfunction light turning on. I did this at least 4 times over 30 miles of driving and I could not replicate it. On my car, I can got the Malfunction light to come on AT WILL by doing exactly this. To me this means that there MUST be something wrong with my car! Don't you guys agree? Otherwise if this was "normal" or "expected" behavior of the engine, then another identical car would exhibit the same behavior wouldn't it?

I will be picking up the car tomorrow and I am ready to argue my case. THEY HAVE TO AGREE THAT THERE's SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY CAR AND THEY HAVE TO FIGURE IT OUT AND FIX IT.
Should I call ACS and mention this?

It is totally UNACCEPTABLE to me that the engine of a brand new $30,000 car is unable to sustain 4500RPM for more than 30seconds without getting into a misfire or having the Malfunction light to come on. Redline starts at around 6800RPM and the car is designed to be able to handle up to that much and beyond.

I got the exactly the same experience.

Ask your service dept. staff to make sure you have newer program in ECU and there is not other sensors or wires problems. Also, call to ACS to get some info prior to talking to your service guy. My stupid dealer gave me the same answer "NORMAL" in Nov. until Acura informed him of the program update in Dec. He's wrong...