3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Week Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 12:50 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
My 2 1/2 year old TLS seats look better than that. That looks horrible.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by BigBluu
Okay, here's a pic of the driver's seat. Notice the impression my a$$ is leaving on the seat. Any one else have this problem?
Please post a pic of your ass so that we can get an idea of how bony it is compared to average. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:50 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by NSWAGAR
Please post a pic of your ass so that we can get an idea of how bony it is compared to average. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:51 AM
4dr & I like it that way

the insider on acura-tsx claimed that the first couple cars all the dealerships got could be pre-production models. its possible you may have one and thats why you're having probs, sorry to hear so
Old 10-15-2003, 07:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Next Morning

Ok.. I would have updated yesterday but access to Acura-TL seems to crap out a lot.

They sent my roomy home after 5 hours and no loaner and no work performed. They said they didn't have the parts.

Last nite we went out to the theater, and it did it on the way up to town, blinked the Engine lite, but went out, which is what it always does the first time. I'm sure if I go to pass someone or tear out of a red light, it'll do it again, and then leave it on.

I spoke with Patricia yesterday, she finally called back at like 6:30 from a noon voicemail that I left her. She said she spoke to the SE Regional service people and they supposedly called Baranco who had done the prior two days of service. Don't know what that's going to accomplish. I told her that if the light comes on during my trip to florida today, I am parking it at the dealer in orlando and she can pick it up from there and send me my money back or find me a >2000 ser# BlueNavi. She is fully aware of my threat to pull Lemon Law and offered to send me the paper work to start the process.

The code has come down to a misfire, nothing else in the emissions at this point.

I'll be calling TLC on Patricia's recommendation this morning to voice my problems. Of course if anything happens on the road, they pay for 100% of it, towing, and rental.

Unless a dealer can find it on this next trip, looks like I'm outta my car for a while. And I'll trade her the tinting costs for what they will pay to repaint the back bumper where I got hit.

Thanks for your support guys, I feel better on here than I do on the phone with Acura.

OH.. and even better, when she called me yesterday evening, half way thru the conversation I said.. "oh, and guess what else happened in good timing, Honda Corporate called to do my follow up survey".. she kinda paused. Then she said "well I hope you rated us on our sale, and not on your experience with the automobile"

Nuff Said. Honestly I was nice, I did say the sale went almost ok, they did forget to install my body molding, but the sale was quick and easy, the car on the other had, I had not so polite things to say to Honda.

Later. I'll try to check in from the motel inbetween drinking binges with any status changes, maybe I can drive home in a new one from Florida. Luckily the dealership is on OrangeBlossomTrail, so it can't be too far from where I'm staying.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:20 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. If they can't fix the problems they should give you a new one. I don't know about a refund on the tint as they may say you chose to put that on as an option and one that is not chosen by most.

That seat issue really surprises me though. Does the indent leave after a few minutes? I am not sure that the demos would be the right ones to judge by since people are placing different cans on the seats. Anyone else having this problem too??
Old 10-15-2003, 10:14 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by legendguy
Sorry to hear about your troubles. If they can't fix the problems they should give you a new one. I don't know about a refund on the tint as they may say you chose to put that on as an option and one that is not chosen by most.

That seat issue really surprises me though. Does the indent leave after a few minutes? I am not sure that the demos would be the right ones to judge by since people are placing different cans on the seats. Anyone else having this problem too??
yes, the seat bottom has such a soft leather that there is a circular imprint left on them, I do not know if it goes away after a period of time, I will check when I return to it at lunch.

BTW - photos of the interior from the original spy shots in Seatle showed this also.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:25 AM
Intermediate

Fountain Acura is the dealership in Orlando on Orange Blossom Trail - they have a good service department, get all the service on my 2003 TL-S done there.

One thing I noticed yesterday when I got my 7500 mi service done was the total lack of any TSXs, TLs (1 white one left), MDX - they just had a few 2003 CLs, TLs and RLs hanging around the lot.

I would seriously check into what you need to do with the Lemon Law, you got a bag egg and, personally, I would give it right back and get a different one - years worth of future headaches aren't worth it. I'm not knocking Acura, but every car maker makes a bad car once and awhile and you still have the chance to get rid of yours and get one that runs as it should.

George
Old 10-15-2003, 10:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
last Chance

I called Acura Customer Concerns this morning so my venting is on record at the corp level now. I called Athens service advisor and got his voicemail and told him if he would like to give Fountain a heads up he is welcome to, otherwise he gets the car back when I return monday.

I agree, I got a bad one, and I don't want to spend 5 years with random issues.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Stick with your efforts to get the car replaced, and be persistent but nice about it. I had some problems with my first TL that got resolved, but I really feel for you.

I also think its risky when buying the first year of any new model, but one would think that Acura will handle any problem that comes up appropriately.

Good Luck
Old 10-15-2003, 12:59 PM
Racer

Originally posted by need4spd
yes, the seat bottom has such a soft leather that there is a circular imprint left on them, I do not know if it goes away after a period of time, I will check when I return to it at lunch.

BTW - photos of the interior from the original spy shots in Seatle showed this also.

Yes, I noticed them in the Seattle pics too. Read the review by Jeff last night. They just weren't as bad as mine. I definitely agree with you that the leather is much softer, probably the reason why it's doing that. My other car has leather - just not as soft - and it's going on 5 years without this problem. Thank goodness it's not just my a$$.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:36 PM
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: last Chance

Originally posted by Sherlock
I called Acura Customer Concerns this morning so my venting is on record at the corp level now. I called Athens service advisor and got his voicemail and told him if he would like to give Fountain a heads up he is welcome to, otherwise he gets the car back when I return monday.

I agree, I got a bad one, and I don't want to spend 5 years with random issues.
Sorry you got a 'bad one'. Good luck with Acura Customer Concerns; i.e., Honda America. They treated me like crap when my tranny blew twice in my '02 TL-S, and it was the SE rep who was an absolute a$$hole. Ed Voyles Acura bought the thing back from me, and I will never buy another Honda Product again. It seems like they cannot get their US production up to par.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:50 PM
Advanced

Sherlock, hate to hear about the problems. None the less, I dropped by my local dealer in NC earlier today and placed my order/deposit for 6-sp. Anthracite/Ebony. Trading in (and eating dollars) my '01 CL-S which I purchased from the same dealer.

I told the rep (friend of mine) about your situation and build number. He said that cars with build numbers like yours are floating around for media trials, pictures and/or dealer service loaners NOT for public sale. He said that you should take it back to dealer and demand another car as they knowlingly screwed you. He jokingly made the comment that a door might fall off at some point (again he was joking). He did show me a low build number that they received for a car show and he pointed out several things related to fit 'n finish (no fuse box cover, carpet not tacked down, etc.) that are sub-par but at least they are not trying to sell it to someone.

It blows my mind that cars are selling at or above MSRP (plenty of dealer profit) and that one would try to sell something like this to you. TAKE IT BACK!!!
Old 10-15-2003, 03:54 PM
kgc
10th Gear

stupid first time poster question: where can you find the build number on the TL? I've one on order now that should be here end of the month....

Also anyone seen/like the deep green pearl? I ordered it with parchment. My dealer sez they're not ordered any camel b/c they feel it's fugly and don't want to overstock lot with cars they won't be able to sell.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:01 PM
Racer

Originally posted by kgc
stupid first time poster question: where can you find the build number on the TL? I've one on order now that should be here end of the month....
It is the last 6 digits of the VIN. Congrats on your order!

-r
Old 10-15-2003, 04:37 PM
Advanced

the accord is a first year model and it seems to be doing well...?
Old 10-15-2003, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by turbowhat
the accord is a first year model and it seems to be doing well...?
Accord changed in 2003. The 2004 is the 2nd year model.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:23 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm just having small issues:

1. alignment isn't great

2. driver's seat heater is sort of jammed

3. a lot of dirt on [internal] passenger side c-pillar

4. not all protective tape removed from driver's door (and I mean it's STUCK)

There are some other small niggles (stickiness on lip of trunk, etc.) but I expected these things with a first model year vehicle (hell, second production run).

-josh
Old 10-16-2003, 01:37 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by huskerfan
Accord changed in 2003. The 2004 is the 2nd year model.

Ya but 2003 did not have any major troubles at all..
Old 10-16-2003, 10:56 AM
Racer

Re: First Week Problems

Originally posted by Sherlock
I've owned an 89 CRX that was built like a brick. Then a 98 Accord that started to show POS build standards, then an 00 TL that was pretty much OK, then this 04 is just pitiful.
If you remember, 1998 was also the year Honda redesigned the Accord. I also have an Accord 98 EX and have had quite few problems with it. A friend of mine bought an Accord 2000 and his didn't have most of the problems mine did.

Whether this is bad luck or part of the first-year production's problem, I'm not sure. But just like anything else, the first-run usually have issues that need to be fixed later on. This doesn't always happen but the chance for it to happen is higher in first-year production.

Just my own opinion.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:36 AM
Racer

lindros2 - sounds like your issues are lack of dealer prepping the car properly. The protective tape film can be removed with a mild rubbing compound and SHOULD have been done at the dealership (almost all of what you list is not properly reconing the car before delivery).

Take it back and tell them the alignment is off and that you want it reconn'd again and done properly this time.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:48 AM
4th Gear

I think the secret is to make sure your VIN starts with a J.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:09 PM
Banned

Originally posted by jjtricket
Hehehehe, very true.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I just got back from picking up my 5AT/DMM/Parch/Navi from a dealer 900 miles away. (in Dallas..I'm in Denver) Had absolutely zero issues during the ride back. No problems with seating surfaces.
Only complaint is the dealer put their freakin' badge on the back. I didn't notice until I left. Had to gently pry that thing off the second I got home. I sure wish they'd ask before they put these on!
Old 10-16-2003, 01:46 PM
Cruisin'

I had problems with a 96 Accord - but it worked out great

Sherlock,

I bought a 96 Accord coupe new and I had one major problem.
I live in the northwest (Portland, read rain) and when the car came off the assembly line the panels behind the back seat were not sealed correctly hence water leaked in and the windows would fog up dramatically. The back seat eventually mildewed
(within a few weeks). Being this was my first car I bought new I was major leagued bummed out. But the dealer fixed the problem and now I have 120K trouble free miles. The car has been great.
As every one else states this is a first year production model some problems occur but I think you just got unlucky. I would not hesitate at this point to ask for a new car, lemon law or not.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:15 PM
TUD
7th Gear

# 1 reason you do not buy the first year of a new model. Big no, no there. Also American Honda's build quality has always sucked when compared to Japan's.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:29 PM
TUD
7th Gear

Originally posted by steve29
sherlock, you couldn't have said it better about American build quality. I cant tell you the little things that went wrong with my 02 tl-s. American's cant build cars.

American's can't build quality imports. The truth be told, we are too lazy.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:44 PM
TUD
7th Gear

Re: Re: First Week Problems

Originally posted by lamster
If you remember, 1998 was also the year Honda redesigned the Accord. I also have an Accord 98 EX and have had quite few problems with it. A friend of mine bought an Accord 2000 and his didn't have most of the problems mine did.

Whether this is bad luck or part of the first-year production's problem, I'm not sure. But just like anything else, the first-run usually have issues that need to be fixed later on. This doesn't always happen but the chance for it to happen is higher in first-year production.

Just my own opinion.

I purchased a 98 Accord Coupe V6 EXL in Dec. 97 and by April 98 I had sold it for what I paid for it. It was the biggest POS I have ever owned. Nothing, but problems. The body flex was terrible, the car squeak like a hardwood floor in an old house.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:50 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by pianoman41
Hehehehe, very true.
glad to hear since im getting a car from Irving, or plano... maybe ill take a look at a car from a dallas dealer sometime this weekend
Old 10-16-2003, 06:16 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Re: First Week Problems

Originally posted by TUD
I purchased a 98 Accord Coupe V6 EXL in Dec. 97 and by April 98 I had sold it for what I paid for it. It was the biggest POS I have ever owned. Nothing, but problems. The body flex was terrible, the car squeak like a hardwood floor in an old house.
I got a 98 Accord EX V6 Coupe w/78K miles and have had very few problems. I got an extended warranty and the only thing I had to have done was to replace the alternator around 75K. I am on my second battery and just recently got my first brake job. Other than that everything was routine maintenance except a couple of minor tech bulletins that were done at no charge. No squeaks or rattles and two of the tires are originals. The other 2 were replaced because of road hazard problems. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I'm currently trying to decide between a new TL or another Accord EX V6 Coupe. It may come down to price because I can get the Accord for Invoice + 3%. I may wait a few months and see if they start to deal on the TL's. I think I can already get a TL for MSRP - $400.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:08 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

You should also look at a leftover 03 TL. Bought mine for 25.4k.

Am very happy with it. I personally think it is a slam dunk against a Honda Accord. The 2004 TL is way too expensive. I'm not paying 32K for that car.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:37 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by larrynimmo
You should also look at a leftover 03 TL. Bought mine for 25.4k.

Am very happy with it. I personally think it is a slam dunk against a Honda Accord. The 2004 TL is way too expensive. I'm not paying 32K for that car.
I already have a 2003 TL Type S that my wife drives. The 2004 Honda & TL have some features that the 2003 TL do not including the voice operated Nav and side curtain air bags. Those are big items for me. Also the Nav DVD on the 2003 is at least 2 years old and not nearly as good as the new ones.
Old 10-18-2003, 12:35 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by jjtricket
What does starting with a "J" have to do with anything?
Old 10-18-2003, 01:13 AM
Cruisin'

the J means its built in Japan
Old 10-18-2003, 02:38 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
the J means its built in Japan
PHP Code:
the J means its built in Japan 
I believe the new TL is only built here in America.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:29 AM
Race Director

OMG, people its a joke dont you get it...
Old 10-18-2003, 05:03 AM
Racer

Originally posted by huskerfan
I already have a 2003 TL Type S that my wife drives. The 2004 Honda & TL have some features that the 2003 TL do not including the voice operated Nav and side curtain air bags. Those are big items for me. Also the Nav DVD on the 2003 is at least 2 years old and not nearly as good as the new ones.
I know this is a TL site, but have you also looked at alternatives like Infiniti G35 or Maxima? What are your thoughts on those?

If you've already have a TL-S in the house, I think you should get the Accord EX-V6. That'll be a good value.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:33 AM
Suzuka Master

The mailers for the G35x have been floating around this week. Still do not like the body, but if there was an AWD coupe, that would be hot!
Old 10-18-2003, 07:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally posted by lamster
If you've already have a TL-S in the house, I think you should get the Accord EX-V6. That'll be a good value.
If my wife wanted to upgrade, that's probably what I'd get her. Only she hates the styling of the new Accord; her 2001 suits her just fine. It's lucky for me she is "low-maintenance".
Old 10-18-2003, 01:36 PM
Advanced

Cool

From what I have read the AWD version of the G35 (the G35x) is supposed to hit dealers in Dec. '03. I came very close to trading my '01 CL-S (damn transmission problems AGAIN) in for a G35 several months back but was too far upside down to justify the move. The car runs well but is too "cheap looking" on the inside for my taste.

The '04 TL on the other hand was exactly what I needed to make me suck it up and eat the cost of being upside down on my CL-S. Placed my order/deposit a week ago for Anthracite/Ebony 6 sp. and haven't given the CL-S dollars another thought. I can't wait 'til the new one gets here.

Quick Reply: First Week Problems