3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First trip in for fixes - How to deal with dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 04:22 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question First trip in for fixes - How to deal with dealer?

I have an appointment to bring my car '06 TL (600 miles) in for a fix. When we bought it, there was a nick in the rear driver side door handle. They had to order the part and promised to replace it when it came in. In addition to that, there are a few other things I want them to look at. One is that the steering wheel is not straight. The alignment seems good, but when I am driving straight, the steering wheel is turned about 5 degrees to the left. Second (already posted) is that the passenger map pocket seems a little loose. There is no rattle, but when you close the door firmly, it opens one click. Third is that there is already a driver side door rattle. I'm not sure where it is coming from but it seems like the upper back part of the window.

My question is, for those of you with issues, how did you present them to the dealer? Is the dealer responsive to problems like these or do they consider them petty issues? Any advice would be appreciated.

On a side note: I've read a lot of posts about rattles and trouble shooting them. I'm curious about how you drivers or the dealers isolate the problem. Do you just drive around poking and prodding at your car (seems dangerous). Do the dealers find them while driving or do they have some sort of vibrating rattle making machine? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Mick
Old 03-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Racer

If you have a good dealer, they will be very eager to help get your issues resolved to your satisfaction. If they don't, take it to a different dealer.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Advanced

Dealer sucks after they take your money. My car is in shop twice already for the Heat Shield problem them dumb foos still can figure it out. better prey u don't get that problem.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:59 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Just make sure your dealer knows you won't take no for answer. I had a similar problem with door rattles (passenger) on a 05 tl w/o navi. I was in there 5 times for it.

The service guy told me that car flexing was going to happen. I told him if I wanted to hear rattles I would have bought a KIA. They got the noises out. Parts in the door were replaced 2 times. And they replaced the right side air vent as well. Ending up talking with the Asst Service Manager, he got it done. All was done in warranty.

To the one that said dealers sucks after they take your money. Yes some do, but I haven't found that with an Acura dealer. VW yes.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:39 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Aside from one minor incident I've had a pretty good track record with warranty work done at the dealer. They always get the car in and out quick and are willing to look at everything I bring to their attention, and they even correct things I didnt bring up (dash fade).

So, just tell them what bothers you and have them take a look at it. I can imagine, as with everything, if you have an attitude initially its not the best thing.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont understand why you would take the car with all the defects in it.

You buy a new car, then expect someone to take it all apart and make it right?

Good luck with that.

Brett
Old 03-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Give A List To Dealer

Originally Posted by mokTL
My question is, for those of you with issues, how did you present them to the dealer?
Copy the content of your post into a nice neat list, put your name and address of record on it and hand it to the dealer service rep. to 1) type into the work order, and/or 2) attach to the work order. Try to be as specific and descriptive about the noise/rattle, etc as possible ("ping" is different noise from "crunch," etc.). Hope your dealer fixes everything.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:29 PM
10th Gear

Thanks everyone (except Brett ) for the constructive advice. This is my first new car so dealing with the dealer is a first for me. From some of the posts I've read here you get the feeling that the dealer is the enemy! I'll write it all down on a list and be as nice as I can be to the servcice department. Unfortunately these problems sometimes don't arise (rattle) or get noticed (steering wheel, map pocket) until a week or so after you buy the car. As for the door handle, that's already contracted for repair, so I'm not worried about it.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Burning Brakes

wow i have that same nick that you have on the driver side rear door handle when i got the car but i didnt notice it until i brought the car home on the day i bought it so i cant tell the dealer to do anything about it.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mokTL
Third is that there is already a driver side door rattle. I'm not sure where it is coming from but it seems like the upper back part of the window.
Just this week I noticed what could be a similar rattle on my new 06. My fix was to clean the top half inch of the window and to silicone spray the rubber molding at the top of the door where the window makes contact. I learned this trick with the sunroof rattle of my 99 TL.

It is strange how the contact between rubber and window or body causes a rattle, but it does. May be the particular compound that is used by Acura.

There have been other posts that suggest that Armoral All Protectant is the cure for all surface rattles (those that are not behind some panel).