3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time to the race track tonight!advice!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 02:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
not sure about that perticular one but i would get a cold air.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:34 AM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave_B
Also, what I have found really odd about the 3rd gen TL 5AT is how much slower, on average, it is when compared to the tests done by the mags when the car first came out. Most every mag got 14.8s@94mph out of the 5AT 3g TLs which was very close to the numbers generated by the 2g TLS/CLS 5AT. However, on this site and from what I've witnessed at the strip, the 3g TL 5AT tends to be in the 15.1-15.3@92ish range on average with some going a few tenths faster and some going a few tenths slower. Granted, the mags correct ET/MPH to sea level conditons, but still, I would have expected the TLs to be matching mag numbers fairly consistently. When the 5AT G sedan came out in 02, the mags got 14.7-14.8@95mph out of them, but most everyone that takes their 1g G 5AT to the strip is in the 14.6-14.7 range, with many seeing 14.4-14.5@96mph. Is it possible that Acura gave the mags ringers and wanted to show that the 3g TL 5AT was on par with the outgoing model?
I have also noticed that with the 3rd gen TL AT. Most don't get out of the low 15's even with CAI. I can't even recall seeing 1 3rd gen 5AT TL run under a 15.1 without being modded. What is even more strange is that the 2nd gen TL-S had no problem hitting high 14's stock.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnjohn1206
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COLD-...Q5fAccessories

do i want this?
my short ram intake obviously is not helping worth a shit but i was told my filter was good and this filter is shit?
no...?
Old 11-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Intermediate

it's not going to do anything but slightly vary the exhaust note and grant a nicklesworth of hp's on the butt dyno.

Once you start driving more consistently, then light mods will start to matter. After all, there are people making far more power than you running equal times. They don't need more power, they just need more seat time at the track.

.... plus your car is too clean for an intake like that.

Last edited by Xanderpants; 11-13-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by johnjohn1206
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COLD-...Q5fAccessories

do i want this?
my short ram intake obviously is not helping worth a shit but i was told my filter was good and this filter is shit?
What happened is you went from the stock semi-cold air intake to sucking in all the hot engine bay air. Running your car on that 50 degree day was like running it on a 120 degree day with all that hot engine bay air being sucked in. In other words, you lost hp.

In stock form a TL's engine requires less than 300CFM of air at full throttle which the stock inlet tract and filter will easily flow. In other words on a stock engine, the intake is not a restriction and will not yield any hp gains with a better flowing filter.

What you need to do is get some cold air to the engine. Any popular cold air intake will do. Don't worry about the "best". They all include a fliter that will flow double what the engine requires and they all take air in from the outside. I personally make my own because it's ridiculously cheap and easy but if I were you I would shop by price as I doubt there's any measurable hp difference between the kits.

Another option is to throw the stock intake back on. If it makes you feel better you can always run a drop-in K&N filter but it's not needed. You can also just remove the resonator so you're still using the stock airbox and picking up air from right behind the front bumper but you're eliminating the additional plumbing. I guarantee you'll see every bit as much hp as an aftermarket CAI and it's free.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
^Stock intakes FTW
Old 11-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
I would agree the stock intake sucks in air from the lower right front grille and that any CAI would do just never go short ram. I don't see why anyone would? If you make it yourself you can spend a little as 50 or less, I don't see how k&n and AEM charges an arm and a leg for something that doesn't set itself apart from a homemade one HP wise.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by AckTL05
I would agree the stock intake sucks in air from the lower right front grille and that any CAI would do just never go short ram. I don't see why anyone would? If you make it yourself you can spend a little as 50 or less, I don't see how k&n and AEM charges an arm and a leg for something that doesn't set itself apart from a homemade one HP wise.

Honestly, you're paying for the pretty colors and stickers. Look at the requirements for a TL. A 3" pipe will flow more air than a TL will ever need. Any aftermarkt filter will flow waaay more than a TL will ever need. All you need is a filter and a pipe that connects the filter to the throttle body, and places the filter in the proper location, that's it. If a CAI meets those needs which they all do, one cannot set it'self apart from the others or even from stock with the resonator removed performance wise.

There's the fit and finish and looks of course, where one can be better than the other.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Instructor

well this is what im starting with
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...Q5fAccessories

and then replacing the filer with the one i have on my short ram. which is like a specre or something

then going to the track sing if that made any difference.

and getting a ur pulley if everything works out

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/Unorthodo...-pr-63708.html

after that ill work on getting that full exhaust but probably after winter since the track will be closing soon

also ive been working on my launch it feels like some times i can launch by shocking it and sometimes its just a terrible laggy start