Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally made an account - new member

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 10:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wusty23jd
I've been following you on Instagram for a bit now. You've done more work to your TL in a year than most have in 5. Stop making us all look bad
And yet it still doesn't seem enough haha. But what can I say... I guess I'm just very determined.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:17 AM
Intermediate

A little update on what's been going on...

I'm trying my best to update this each time I make changes to the TL but I always end up getting sidetracked with other things. One of those things was a recently purchased 2016 Acura RDX Adv. Package. The wife and I decided it was time to get something that had a little more room for the baby. I have some initial comments that I could make on the RDX but maybe I'll save that for the RDX forums...

With the colder weather approaching, I've been planning for some winter work for the TL. So far it's been a good summer with the supercharger, but there's always room to improve. I think suspension is due for an upgrade. Surprisingly, I'm still on stock everything aside from coilovers, so I'll be replacing bushings, arms, etc... I think I have a good idea of what to purchase but I'm open to suggestions. I have a small leak in my radiator so that needs replaced as well. Funny story to that ( at least to me ), @gerzand stopped down in Pittsburgh to attend a car meet that I was hosting. He texted me that morning that he would make an appearance and man was I sweating BULLETS. Take in mind, the TL is the very first car that I've actually torn apart and tinkered with. Prior to the TL, the only technical experience I've had was only related to my engineering career in the metals industry. To my knowledge, everything in my car was done correctly assuming since nothing has blown up yet. But to have a TL OG potentially scrutinize my build made me VERY NERVOUS. Long story short, he didn't have much to say other than my overflow tank was empty... so yeah, I need to fix that. My plan is to run a half-size radiator like the J-swap guys do in their civics. This would give me a little more room to play around with the intake/filter location in hopes to lower my IATs a little. I also plan to swap to larger injectors, maybe 1000cc or 1200cc. (During the tuning process, we discovered that I'm maxing out my RDX injectors at 6200 RPM.) This will also pave the way for me to switch over to e85 sometime next year.

Up until the TL goes into hibernation, I have new wheels coming in this week. I think they will compliment the car's color very well. I'm hoping to squeeze in a photoshoot or two before the ground gets too cold for my tires. I also think I might start a vlog to help document this whole process of the rest of the build. It's much easier to speak about these things in the heat of the moment when I'm actually in the garage working on it. Plus, I think it'll be kinda cool to show the process of how I do things, see some rapid prototyping with my 3D printer, and the thousand other hobbies that I can't keep up with.

Anyway... here's some recent pics:

I also added some canards and a DIY front splitter that's mounted to the frame.. it's more of a cosmetic feature though. Bumper mounted splitter rods FTW!

Also, my aspec lip wont sit right and it's been driving me nuts

Old 09-22-2020, 11:56 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,007 Likes on 14,511 Posts
Holy shit...that is a big gap...did you remove the weatherstripping that belongs there? The tape? The clip that holds from the inside?
Overall...well done, man...
And Andy being the Godfather is pretty funny...I can picture him saying your overflow is empty and you embarrassed and beating yourself up
for disappointing him.

My suggestion after extensive testing for upper control arms is go ktuned...or hardrace...good design and good clearance and upper camber correct.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Holy shit...that is a big gap...did you remove the weatherstripping that belongs there? The tape? The clip that holds from the inside?
Overall...well done, man...
And Andy being the Godfather is pretty funny...I can picture him saying your overflow is empty and you embarrassed and beating yourself up
for disappointing him.

My suggestion after extensive testing for upper control arms is go ktuned...or hardrace...good design and good clearance and upper camber correct.
So I actually bought the aspec lip from a junkyard. Unfortunately it didn't come with any of the things you mentioned above... I'm assuming whoever uninstalled it took the short cut and ripped it off. I've seen a thread or two on here that shows that there is a "zip-tie" like piece that goes through the bumper. I've tried using radiator ties and they're too weak. I'm still brainstorming other ideas.

And yes! I was definitely embarrassed haha.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was planning to go full hardrace all around but I can't decide if the rubber bushings for the rear arms are good enough OR if I should opt for the spherical bushing option.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:37 PM

I didn't want full racecar feel so I stuck with rubber...
lasts long enough...

Gotcha...yeah, you'll get it figured out. A lot of that stuff is still available for purchase from Honda even if the kit isn't.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:55 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I didn't want full racecar feel so I stuck with rubber...
lasts long enough...

Gotcha...yeah, you'll get it figured out. A lot of that stuff is still available for purchase from Honda even if the kit isn't.
Long enough is good enough for me!

And thanks for that video. That helped clear things up a little better.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:01 PM

Sure thing, man.