Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Film on inside of windshield

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 08:29 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Film on inside of windshield

I notice that I have this hazy film that builds up on the inside of my windshield. It used to happen on my subaru too. Is this from the defrost vent and is there any way to prevent it? It comes off very easily, but builds up fast.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Received 1,012 Likes on 577 Posts
I haven't used my defroster since I got the car. It has been raining almost constantly here since I got my car 12 days ago, but for some reason the windshield hasn't misted up like it used to do on all my other cars. Anyway, it could be a combination of the defroster, outside contaminants, and the new plastic dash combining to make a film. Is it possible that the car senses that it is raining or has moisture on the windshield and adjusts the climate control accordingly?

Slighlt off-topic, but has anyone used Rain-X on their new TL yet. I have always used it on my other cars, and don't see why it wouldn't work just as well on my new TL, but just thought I would ask.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:48 AM
Intermediate

Guys - the haze on the interior of your windshield is almost certainly caused by the off-gassing of plastic trim, seats, carpet and even the leather in your TL. It's very, very common. If you are a smoker, it's even worse. I use Invisible Glass to remove.

Even if you don't use the defroster, as long as the climate control is in Auto mode, your Air Conditioner is operating. It removes excess humidity from the air in your car and helps prevent fogging. You can turn off the AC by pressing the AC button. But, if you keep your system on recirculate, it'll fog up for sure. It's all in the manual.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:49 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Ron A
I haven't used my defroster since I got the car. It has been raining almost constantly here since I got my car 12 days ago, but for some reason the windshield hasn't misted up like it used to do on all my other cars. Anyway, it could be a combination of the defroster, outside contaminants, and the new plastic dash combining to make a film. Is it possible that the car senses that it is raining or has moisture on the windshield and adjusts the climate control accordingly?

Slighlt off-topic, but has anyone used Rain-X on their new TL yet. I have always used it on my other cars, and don't see why it wouldn't work just as well on my new TL, but just thought I would ask.
I tried it before I went to Las Vegas for Super-Bowl.

People behind me were probably wondering: why the hell isn't that guy using/have wipers?

Good stuff...
NathanSilver
Old 02-25-2004, 09:16 AM
Racer

I don't see any reason why you couldn't use Rain-X on your TL.

Kinda on topic side question though, if you get silblades should you be using stuff like Rain-X at all? For those that don't knw what silblades are, check out http://silblade.com, or search the forum. I'm thinking of getting a pair.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:33 AM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by daveinmass
Guys - the haze on the interior of your windshield is almost certainly caused by the off-gassing of plastic trim, seats, carpet and even the leather in your TL. It's very, very common. If you are a smoker, it's even worse. I use Invisible Glass to remove.

Where can I find Invisible Glass?? Is it one of those that comes in an aerosol can?? Thanks
Old 02-25-2004, 02:49 PM
Racer

The BEST window cleaner I have found is Sprayway - available at Costco. Simply the BEST.

Clean windows is one of my obsessions, I have tried them all. In addition, Sprayway has no ammonia, and won't damage your window tints like some other cleaners will.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:01 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use invisible glass too....it's great! I hate that haze, and it seems to be more noticible on sunny days, when you look thru the glass at a dark background like a tree line or something, then when you thought you cleaned the glass...it looks terrible....get the Stoner stuff...it works!
Old 02-26-2004, 06:02 AM
Instructor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by daveinmass
[B]Guys - the haze on the interior of your windshield is almost certainly caused by the off-gassing of plastic trim, seats, carpet and even the leather in your TL.

I agree totally..........I have a personal off-gassing problem also. Excuse me!
Old 02-26-2004, 10:57 AM
Cruisin'

Stoner's invisible glass is at Auto Zone. You can also get it at
Old 02-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Cruisin'

Oops - I did not finish my last post - you can also get Stoner's at http://properautocare.com/glass---plastic.html. I also use the Autoglym glass polish on the interior and exterior with excellent results.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:21 AM
Instructor

I agree use the Stoner Invisible Glass with a lint free cloth, no paper towels.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:20 PM
10th Gear

Guys, the problem of the windshield getting fogged up happened to me in my first Honda Accord in 1982. The only thing that works for me is washing the windows with a soft cloth in a solution of warm water and vinegar. Then wipe them off with newspaper. The haze will be almost non-existent. I do this about once a month. The A/C also helps. The rainy weathr around 40 degrees is the worst weather for fogging up your windows. The other thing to do is always have the 'fresh' air on, except when you are following a diesel.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:31 PM
Instructor

I use Stoner with paper towels (the hard ones are almost newspaper like consistency). I tried it with a cotton flannel cloth and it left smears. Stoner does not recommend Brawny like paper towels with there product.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:18 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone know why newspaper seems to work so well for cleaning glass? I've heard it's the ink and other stuff, but just wonder if anyone really knows the truth.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:58 AM
Cruisin'

I read somewhere a long time ago that the benefit of newspaper is that it has a consistent "texture" or surface for even cleaning, and does not leave lint behind. Not sure if this is the scientifically correct answer, but it seems to make some sense.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:31 PM
Instructor

As far as cleaning glass I have found it isn't as much what type cleaner as it is what you use to apply the product. The best thing I have found to clean without smears and streaks are micro-fiber towels. You can use them with just a little spritz of water or window cleaner. Some suggest distilled water. Certain newspapers work so-so but tend to leave fine-like hairs on the glass.