On WDP...
Old 12-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Spent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D-a-m-n
Old 12-24-2006, 09:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 177 Posts
One word.....TIGHT. So....what is the price now?
Old 12-24-2006, 09:56 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Is there gonna be a write up on how to do this? Those things look HOT
Old 12-25-2006, 08:39 AM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
OMG...

So what do you think?

On WDP...
TIGHT
Old 12-25-2006, 10:45 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Probably not... If the interest is there, 06WDP will become an Acurazine vendor and either sell modified tail lights, or make the modifcation for folks that send them in. As discussed in the thread, this mod is more difficult than clearing the headlights, as it requires precision cutting/grinding.
I'd leave thisone tot he proffessionals.

Originally Posted by sunny201
Is there gonna be a write up on how to do this? Those things look HOT
Old 12-26-2006, 02:44 AM
Safety Car

I cant wait....I think I peed off my pants >_< so so....price yet? ^__^
Old 12-26-2006, 02:57 AM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i wonder what it would look like with the reflector only being red and everything else being the same. that way it would be legal.

write up? probably not if he is going to be a vendor, that would not work well for business. but a write up would be cool. i would much appreciate it. i shared my knowledge and had a write up for the front headlights. how about an xmas present and give us a write up and some hints on cracking this baby open since it seems to be different then the headlights!
Old 12-26-2006, 09:16 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
i wonder what it would look like with the reflector only being red and everything else being the same. that way it would be legal.

write up? probably not if he is going to be a vendor, that would not work well for business. but a write up would be cool. i would much appreciate it. i shared my knowledge and had a write up for the front headlights. how about an xmas present and give us a write up and some hints on cracking this baby open since it seems to be different then the headlights!
alal TL-S (you mean a silver inner frame, red lenses, and clear outer frame)?

What makes these illegal? There's no law that says there has to be red lens in there...
The Lexus RX 300's tailights are clear like this, but use red led's (just like these will):

Old 12-26-2006, 09:40 AM
Instructor

The Lexus has red reflectors in the bumper. I don't think the reflectors would be too big of a deal unless your state has car inspections. A smoked red reflector might be an option then.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:48 AM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks good, i have never been one to trust JB weld though...
Old 12-26-2006, 11:41 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by T. Diddy
The Lexus has red reflectors in the bumper. I don't think the reflectors would be too big of a deal unless your state has car inspections. A smoked red reflector might be an option then.
I don't think the red reflectors matter either... as long as you have red tail and brake lights (LEDs), that's all that matters.

JB Weld? Actually, he's using silicone. The lights are just epoxies together. I see no reason what replacing epoxy with epoxy won;t work just fine.

Hundreds of folks seem to be doing this on thier headlights without issue.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:29 PM

I don't think the red reflectors matter either... as long as you have red tail and brake lights (LEDs), that's all that matters.
you are icorrect, the lexus has those red reflectors in the bumper, because they need to be somewhere on the rear of the car. normally they are in tail lights. read the local laws your statem i can bet you you need to have some type of red reflector on the back of your car
Old 12-27-2006, 05:25 AM

yup yup, you need to have red reflectors on the back of every car to make it legal. doesnt matter if its on the bumper or in the taillight or anywhere else. It just needs to be directly visible from the back of the car.

thats how it is in cali, not sure about other states, but i'm sure thats how it is in most states if not all.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:50 AM
acura-cl.com OG

JB Weld? Actually, he's using silicone. The lights are just epoxies together. I see no reason what replacing epoxy with epoxy won;t work just fine.

Hundreds of folks seem to be doing this on thier headlights without issue.
i think you are confused.....
1 you need 2 red reflectors located on the rear of the car.
2 that def looks like JB weld, he is probably resealing them with silicon in addition to the JB
3 these tailamps are def CUT and then epoxied back together.....they are not designed to be pulled apart like headlamps
4 when opening headlamps, there is rubber/silicon coumpound that when heated releases and streatches out. these can be pulled apart and resealed multiple times if desired. the tailamps, are not designed to be taken apart. the only thing holding them back together now is JB...i dont even think that there is a tongue and grove that he is able to slide them into to get perfect alignment.
silicon= soft, pliable, weak
epoxy= generally clear/opaque plastic, hard, strong
JB weld= silver/gray, very hard, very strong
Old 12-28-2006, 02:28 PM
Advanced

in response to ding069

1. Having a red reflector is the law. Dont think anyone would really have much of a problem with these taillights, there is still a clear reflector and the brake lights are still red when lit. If anyone concerned were interested you could pick a combo with red in it or you get red reflectors and install them somewhere in the bumper like the TSX or the Lexus pictured above.

2. There is NO JB WELD. The taillights are cut open and resealed with automotive grade silicone. The also have screws in them holding pieces together and in place. They are not "pulled apart" like headlamps. There is also no epoxy.

3. The headlamps are NOT "designed" to be opened so there is no comparison between the two, just different assembly methods from Honda. If they were "designed" to be pulled apart then there would be replacement pieces which there aren't. An E46 M3 has removable headlamp lenses by design, thus there is no baking or silicone just clips and a gasket. I have done about half a dozen Halo kits in these cars so I know for sure, I am not speculating.

4. JB Weld is not the only thing holding them together now because there is none!

5. There are alignment tabs that I use to reassemble the tails in the proper position including screws that can ONLY fit one way.

6.I don't know what silicone you use, but as a sealing agent for these tails its perfect, just like sealing headlamps.

Please Do Not Start Bashing a Product or Process You Know Nothing About!
Old 12-28-2006, 02:35 PM
Advanced

Price for the conversion is going to be $95 for the service or $300 for a whole new set if I am supplying the tails. There will be a core charge for factory tails from an 04-06 if I am supplying both sets. Anything custom beyond the options with factory pieces will be an additional charge. i.e. Body color matched frame. Price regarding that will be discussed with individual customers at time of purchase or through PMs. Paint codes will be needed also. All prices are plus shipping.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:41 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 06WDPTL
Price for the conversion is going to be $95 for the service or $300 for a whole new set if I am supplying the tails. There will be a core charge for factory tails from an 04-06 if I am supplying both sets. Anything custom beyond the options with factory pieces will be an additional charge. i.e. Body color matched frame. Price regarding that will be discussed with individual customers at time of purchase or through PMs. Paint codes will be needed also. All prices are plus shipping.
So the price $95 is that per tail lamp that you need to dissasemble? OR $95 for everything if I supply you the 06 and 07 tail lamp?

Thanks in advanced
Old 12-28-2006, 03:52 PM
Need 4 Speed...

06WDPTL...when you have a chance, can you post pics of the tailights on your TL (day and night) with the lights on, off, and brakes applied. Thanks mann.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ua6spec
So the price $95 is that per tail lamp that you need to dissasemble? OR $95 for everything if I supply you the 06 and 07 tail lamp?

Thanks in advanced
If you supply the taillamps it will cost you 95$ plus shipping, unless you want something custom done.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Juiced_Acura_Kidd
06WDPTL...when you have a chance, can you post pics of the tailights on your TL (day and night) with the lights on, off, and brakes applied. Thanks mann.
These tails are not going on my car they are going on Kennedy's car. He is testing the prototype for me and he will post pics.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:05 PM

so you cut open the taillights instead of baking them open?

you will def have a problem if you do not have a red reflector showing from the rear. in cali, you'll get pulled over within a week, maybe within a month if you are lucky. the reflector needs to be visible from the rear and it has to be red. not a red bulb and not a clear reflector. must be a red reflector.

when you cut the tails open, are you cutting stock silicone or what adhesive are you cutting? is there even an adhesive? i would imagine there would be.

in ding069s defense, i dont think he was bashing the product at all.

nice work 06wdptl, i'm glad someone was the guinea pig on this and it turned out great.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
so you cut open the taillights instead of baking them open?

you will def have a problem if you do not have a red reflector showing from the rear. in cali, you'll get pulled over within a week, maybe within a month if you are lucky. the reflector needs to be visible from the rear and it has to be red. not a red bulb and not a clear reflector. must be a red reflector.

when you cut the tails open, are you cutting stock silicone or what adhesive are you cutting? is there even an adhesive? i would imagine there would be.

in ding069s defense, i dont think he was bashing the product at all.

nice work 06wdptl, i'm glad someone was the guinea pig on this and it turned out great.
there is no adhesive in the tails. cali is very strict and that is why there are other options to choose from then just chrome on clear.or you could fab some tsx reflectors into an a-spec rear lip.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Safety Car

If you supply the taillamps it will cost you 95$ plus shipping, unless you want something custom done.
Sounds good. And what is your turn around time on these puppy? Only custom item I want to do is to smoke out the clear lens inside the signal.

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2006, 04:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ua6spec
Sounds good. And what is your turn around time on these puppy? Only custom item I want to do is to smoke out the clear lens inside the signal.

Thanks!
A day or two and it will be shipped back.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Safety Car

Can you PM me your mailing address and I can give you some more info.
Thanks!
Old 12-28-2006, 04:54 PM
iDrink

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
that's some incredible work, i cant wait to see that red chrome piece installed on someones TL
Old 12-30-2006, 09:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by XjoEnX
that's some incredible work, i cant wait to see that red chrome piece installed on someones TL
Thanks, it is alot of work but def a cool project for the TL
Old 12-30-2006, 01:45 PM
2010 WDP TL Tech

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Are there any pics of these tails actually on the car?
Old 12-30-2006, 02:05 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

are you starting selling this services?>?? Please provide me information's, thank you.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:03 PM
acura-cl.com OG

in response to ding069

1. Having a red reflector is the law. Dont think anyone would really have much of a problem with these taillights, there is still a clear reflector and the brake lights are still red when lit. If anyone concerned were interested you could pick a combo with red in it or you get red reflectors and install them somewhere in the bumper like the TSX or the Lexus pictured above.

2. There is NO JB WELD. The taillights are cut open and resealed with automotive grade silicone. The also have screws in them holding pieces together and in place. They are not "pulled apart" like headlamps. There is also no epoxy.

3. The headlamps are NOT "designed" to be opened so there is no comparison between the two, just different assembly methods from Honda. If they were "designed" to be pulled apart then there would be replacement pieces which there aren't. An E46 M3 has removable headlamp lenses by design, thus there is no baking or silicone just clips and a gasket. I have done about half a dozen Halo kits in these cars so I know for sure, I am not speculating.

4. JB Weld is not the only thing holding them together now because there is none!

5. There are alignment tabs that I use to reassemble the tails in the proper position including screws that can ONLY fit one way.

6.I don't know what silicone you use, but as a sealing agent for these tails its perfect, just like sealing headlamps.

Please Do Not Start Bashing a Product or Process You Know Nothing About!
i wasn't bashing your product or process. it looks like you do good work! I have just looked at my stock tails, and they are sealed and cannot be taken apart without cutting, correct? Now, when you or I cut something, like plastic, you greatly lower the integrity/strength of the piece. The area that i see sealant around, in your pics has had to be cut......there is no way around it.
i just hope however you mended them back together is strong enough, that's all.
but like i said, what you did looks good and you are offering your services at a reasonable price. you are def an asset of acurazine, just make sure you talk to the mods about becoming a vendor or else you will be in trouble.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:26 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ding069
i wasn't bashing your product or process. it looks like you do good work! I have just looked at my stock tails, and they are sealed and cannot be taken apart without cutting, correct? Now, when you or I cut something, like plastic, you greatly lower the integrity/strength of the piece. The area that i see sealant around, in your pics has had to be cut......there is no way around it.
i just hope however you mended them back together is strong enough, that's all.
but like i said, what you did looks good and you are offering your services at a reasonable price. you are def an asset of acurazine, just make sure you talk to the mods about becoming a vendor or else you will be in trouble.
yes the tails have to be cut open. once installed on the vehicle there really is no push/pull pressure on them so strength isnt a major concern they just have to stay together, BUT I cannot pull the tail apart or get the silicone to flex at all. The seam is very small from the cut and the silicone is inside the seam and also outside the seam like a bridge from one piece to the other. the framework of the light is behind the flange of the plastic outer lens making the front one piece and then the rear of the housing if you look at your stock tails has screws in it. The screws go through the rear housing through the lenses and then the lens is locked into the outer lens. Before silicone it was like one piece without being able to pull them apart. the silicone is not for strength it is for sealing, just like the headlights.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:17 PM
acura-cl.com OG

BTW, don't forget:
Originally Posted by ding069
make sure you talk to the mods about becoming a vendor or else you will be in trouble.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Advanced

Sorry for the delay I am trying to swap out the second driver side tail I got for a new pass. side tail with another member not to far from me.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Safety Car

Any progress? ^_^
Old 01-09-2007, 12:00 AM
2006 TL

Now I'm kicking myself in the ass for getting the TLS tails. I like them, but should've looked here first...
Old 01-09-2007, 07:23 AM
Advanced

UPDATE!

I just spoke with Tim and he is going to get me a taillight by the end of the week so I can finish this weekend and the prototype will be delivered next week.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Safety Car

UPDATE!

I just spoke with Tim and he is going to get me a taillight by the end of the week so I can finish this weekend and the prototype will be delivered next week.
Cool! I have taken out the clear signal len off the 06 tail lamp. So I am waiting for you so I can ship it out to you to have it install! Ready to go here! ^_^
Old 01-10-2007, 07:43 AM
Advanced

well as soon as i get this set done and they are installed we should be ready to go.

Quick Reply: Feeler: Chinese Tails/Modded Tails