Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fastline Performance Strut Brace by Cusco

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Fastline Performance Strut Brace by Cusco

Hello, as some of you may know Fastline Performance is my in-house brand of products. We try to make things that are innovative and supremely useful for Honda enthusiasts. The need for a strut brace for this car which will allow EDFC installation has been apparent for a long time. Fastline Performance mainly operates on outsource manufacturing, which means I try to find the best place to get things made before making them.

Because I have a lot of contacts within the industry, and I like to make sure that everything I sell is of the utmost quality and without compromise, getting this project off the ground has been a struggle, to say the least. I have local fabricators who can make this item, but I am insisting on full factory production on this part. I had spoken with Tein, Alutec, and some other...and interest in helping with the project has been low.

However, we have a direct relationship with Cusco distribution in the USA, and they have been interested in making this part for a long time. We actually broke ground with them over a year ago when we had Nukabe and Cusoc Japan reps visit us for measurement of Mark K's car. And that is where things ended last Sept. Interest from the boards tapered off over the winter 07/08 and we let go of the project.

There has been a lot of interested of late however (must be a Summer thing, eh?) and so we rekindled and ramped up efforts on this project once again. Jaime cam over to us with his car for further measurement by, actually, the same reps that were here last year to take closer and more final measurements. That was about 30 days ago.

In the last couple weeks, we have been in communication with Japan over this project and are trying to get some final details for you now. We needed to supply some supplemental measurements to get a prototype made which is actually in process now.

For those who were unfamiliar with out past efforts, we were most excited to use Cusco because of their Type-40 brace arrangement. As you can see, the Type 40 brace is made of polished aluminum in a round tube for high strength.

A major advantage to this deisgn is that it closely mimics the shape of the stock brace. This will allow reinstallation of the factory engine covers in an OEM FASHION. The brace is being designed to fit just like stock with respect to the engine covers, dressing up the look while maintaining OEM fit and finish.

Another major advantage with Cusco is that they offer a Type ALC brace which is just like they type 40, but wrapped in Carbon Fiber. This bar will be optional.

The last major part we are including with the brace is Cusco's BCS design, which will add performance as well as increase value to you. A BCS, or Brake Cylinder Stopper, is a brace that mounts to the end of your brake master cylinder. As you push the pedal, the firewall will flex taking away brake force from the hydraulic system. This stopper holds the cylinder and firewall in place allowing you to transmit more energy to your braking system.

Our original plans were to include brackets to mount the fube box and wire harnesses that are on the stock brace, but these brackets were going to raise cost and difficulty to manufacture, and they are different from Type-S to Base models. In fact, it was the intricacy of these brackets that basically killed this project the first time around. We have decided to delete the brackets, which we don't think too many people will mind.

So it has been a long and difficult time for us to make this brace. The worst part is that Cusco is in Japan, and there are no 3G TLs in Japan. But I firmly believe that this brace will live up to our exacting standards and be the best brace available for the UA6 and UA7 3G TLs. Thank you for your patience while we work on this project.

I am trying to get a sketch or prototype image for you now. It is realistic that we MAY have a prototype in hand within the coming weeks, so look out for that soon!

Marcus

PS, for those that might be skeptical of our relationships with vendors, we have done other Private label projects in the past. We designed and built a kit from the ground up with Tein before. These companies like to work with us, but they take a LOOOONG time.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Oh, and since this bar is in the last design stage, feel free to post up wishlist items that you think we might need to add.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:18 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
nice. ball park price and ETA ?
Old 10-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,027 Likes on 1,518 Posts
^ + 2
Old 10-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
nice. ball park price and ETA ?
The aluminum brace should be in the $210-$240 range, and a carbon expect $60-$100 more.

I'd say not inexpensive, but not baller either...
THIS is baller!
FEELS carbon power rod for TSX, costs over $900!!!

Marcus
Old 10-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Former Sponsor

ETA, it is a little up in the air. I expect a prototype in a few weeks, maybe 4. Production and shipping maybe 60-90 days after the prototype is approved by me and test fitted on a car.

I will start taking 50% deposits and full payments after the prototype arrives.

Marcus
Old 10-15-2008, 05:39 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Godammit, now I gotta pull the front suspension and replace the top hats to get this installed.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Godammit, now I gotta pull the front suspension and replace the top hats to get this installed.
Eh, you've got some time
Old 10-15-2008, 06:00 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this really needed? How about on a Type-S?
Old 10-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
What does a strut brace do?
Old 10-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
is this like the strut bar?
Old 10-15-2008, 06:11 PM
Racer

colors would be nice.
to compliment by red/black type s engine bay idea.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bobs4state
Is this really needed? How about on a Type-S?
It is if you have Tein SS and want to use the EDFC. You normally need to remove the stock brace to install the EDFC. With this brace you can use the EDFC and keep the stock brace in place.

Originally Posted by maddogtheta
What does a strut brace do?
Honestly friend.....
www.google.com
search...

A strut brace helps tighten up the chassis. The chassis can flex while cornering and that will give the steering and handling a numb feeling that will take away from your ability to drive accurately and confidently. The car has a strut brace from the factory but it is relatively weak and must be removed to run the edfc. This brace will be able to go on in the stock bar's place and provide more strength and the master cylinder bracing.

[quote=xoulu } is this like the strut bar? [/quote]

Strut brace
Strut bar
chassis brace
shock tower brace
shock tower bar
performance rod
chassis reinforcement

All ways to say the same thing.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by shubysingh
colors would be nice.
to compliment by red/black type s engine bay idea.
As mentioned the bars are polished or carbon option. The end brackets are hidden by the engine covers, but I am thinking to do them red since this is ths Fastline logo color

Old 10-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
noooo just black! It will go with every color
Old 10-15-2008, 10:54 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
Interesting.

The interest has always been around for an edfc compatible bar.

And for some reason or another, shortly after there is a list of people going for a strut bar, you decide to stick your head in the game with your proposed bar.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:01 PM
Life Long Acura Fiend

Count me in for a down payment when your ready. As for colors all black or blue since you are working with Cusco. Definitely want the carbon covered bar.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:28 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I guess this benefits the buyer more choices, I for one will get whichever drops first
Old 10-16-2008, 01:02 AM
zaino'd

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
The interest has always been around for an edfc compatible bar.

And for some reason or another, shortly after there is a list of people going for a strut bar, you decide to stick your head in the game with your proposed bar.
Yeah you've had this on your plate for so long. There were always people who wanted/needed this bar... but now that RichieV6 has something going, you decide to put something out there?
Old 10-16-2008, 09:07 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I really like the style of these bars. Good work Marcus!!
Old 10-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
I guess this benefits the buyer more choices, I for one will get whichever drops first
Old 10-16-2008, 10:54 AM
New shoes on my

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The other one appears to be less expensive. If they both work relativly the same, then it's a no brainer for me...
Old 10-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
awesome Marcus! i'll take the carbon option bar it would look so sick in my engine bay

hey people Marcus has been a vendor here for some time now, giving us TL enthusiasts good quality products for an awesome price. now............ he explained why it took so long to get us this bar. ok........... now he's got a reputable company to produce this bar for us. why hate on it? i know most of you if not all of you have heard of Cusco. they make quality parts and sweet strut bars.

now, i've seen the other "proposed" bar. it looks good. very,very, similar like i've seen it somewhere before if i didn't have a bar i would wait for both bars to come out then decide. based on quality, structural design and looks. like stillhere153 said more choices benefits the buyer.

keep on doing your thing Marcus
Old 10-16-2008, 11:41 AM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
damn dat looks very nice... if it turnouts like that polished lookin one...

ill b down
Old 10-16-2008, 12:28 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
That's pretty cool about the EDFC being compatible with this strut bar. I may have to look into a new suspension when this is available...
Old 10-16-2008, 12:38 PM
zaino'd

Originally Posted by jptl04
awesome Marcus! i'll take the carbon option bar it would look so sick in my engine bay

hey people Marcus has been a vendor here for some time now, giving us TL enthusiasts good quality products for an awesome price. now............ he explained why it took so long to get us this bar. ok........... now he's got a reputable company to produce this bar for us. why hate on it? i know most of you if not all of you have heard of Cusco. they make quality parts and sweet strut bars.

now, i've seen the other "proposed" bar. it looks good. very,very, similar like i've seen it somewhere before if i didn't have a bar i would wait for both bars to come out then decide. based on quality, structural design and looks. like stillhere153 said more choices benefits the buyer.

keep on doing your thing Marcus
I'm not hating on Marcus... don't get me wrong. The more available parts for the 3G TL, the happier I am! I just think that if he could've made this post a week or 2 after the RV6 post, then he could've released this product awhile ago.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

im still riding on stock suspension but will be gettin tiens soon so this is great count me in
Old 10-16-2008, 01:09 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
noooo just black! It will go with every color
The Blue color shown is just fine with me. NO Red Marcus... No Red.

As for the competition out there...
1) Marcus is a vendor here. Support your vendors. He's been working for over a year to get this made through a known manufacturer... Cusco.

2) This is not an opportunity to bash Ritchie, but he's been given more rope than I think is fair to sell here on the forum. He's sold many sets of catless pipes here without paying vendorship dues, and noone has said a word. Setting aside my disdain for you jokers out there killing the air my kids will be breathing, it's not fair Ritchie is able to sell like he does while Vendors like Marcus and Mike (ATLP) pay thier fairshare.

I used to make blue button mods (security and memo) buttons for members here by request. I sold 10 sets, put $20 in my pocket for each handmade set, and was threatened to be banned and asked to be a vendor... How's that equiteable? The vendorship rules chased off AngryDad, the most effective programmer we've seen in the history of AZ, who GAVE us the Nag button hack... I digress. Enough history. Ritchie needs to be vendor to continue his devlopment here to be equitable.

3) Ritchies bar looks great too... But it ain't made by Cusco. I'm sure the quality and strength will be more than satisfactory, but having something made by a large company who will stand behind it takes more time.

Anyone can whip up a cardboard model, knockout a CNC design, and make a few bars... (no offense JP, great work by you)... but having a known and trusted manufacturer do the same takes more time, more testing, and the quality will likely reflect it.

I'll wait an see what comes out from both... but will likely go with the Heelotoe/Cusco bar.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Racer

it looks like u take the old one off and bolt this on.
is it that easy?
Old 10-16-2008, 02:03 PM
zaino'd

Originally Posted by shubysingh
it looks like u take the old one off and bolt this on.
is it that easy?
Yes its that easy.

@ Kennedy: your points are valid and I agree RV6 should become a vendor. I believe he is in the process of becoming one. On the other hand, I'm sure people like Mike (ATLP) have made more money (or have moved more product) than RV6 based solely on his vendor status... so to me, both had their "advantages".

Regardless, sorry to shit on your thread Marcus. The CF bar is hot.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i have no "real" need for this seeing as i have no EDFC, but I love the look and quality of this bar so may just have to pick one up and like Kennedy said, make it blue or no color at all. and that CF is HOT!!!!
Old 10-16-2008, 02:53 PM
邵樂百

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Nice strut tower brace Marcus!

I'll have to be having one of those CF bars as well ... damn I wish I didn't like carbon fiber sooo much; it's an expensive habit Regarding the tower mount, black would suit me just fine.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

1) Marcus is a vendor here. Support your vendors. He's been working for over a year to get this made through a known manufacturer... Cusco.

2) This is not an opportunity to bash Ritchie, but he's been given more rope than I think is fair to sell here on the forum. He's sold many sets of catless pipes here without paying vendorship dues, and noone has said a word. Setting aside my disdain for you jokers out there killing the air my kids will be breathing, it's not fair Ritchie is able to sell like he does while Vendors like Marcus and Mike (ATLP) pay thier fairshare.

I used to make blue button mods (security and memo) buttons for members here by request. I sold 10 sets, put $20 in my pocket for each handmade set, and was threatened to be banned and asked to be a vendor... How's that equiteable? The vendorship rules chased off AngryDad, the most effective programmer we've seen in the history of AZ, who GAVE us the Nag button hack... I digress. Enough history. Ritchie needs to be vendor to continue his devlopment here to be equitable.

3) Ritchies bar looks great too... But it ain't made by Cusco. I'm sure the quality and strength will be more than satisfactory, but having something made by a large company who will stand behind it takes more time.

Anyone can whip up a cardboard model, knockout a CNC design, and make a few bars... (no offense JP, great work by you)... but having a known and trusted manufacturer do the same takes more time, more testing, and the quality will likely reflect it.

I'll wait an see what comes out from both... but will likely go with the Heelotoe/Cusco bar.
Thanks Chris for BOTH ITEMS...

I'm glad I was able to support your Beer Money

I agree with you... I doubt that the strength analysis was done, eventhough it's very simple, with the "Richie Bar"...

Keep doing your thing Marcus... If you make it, I will buy... (eventhough I don't have Tein suspension)

PS: There's a reason why Acurazine automatically deletes V.6.P (without the dots) ....

Last edited by rodneyc77; 10-16-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:05 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the carbon bar is purrrrrrrrtey
Old 10-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CF CF CF CF CF CF!!!! Carbon ftw!!!!

It will match the MB engine cover I have!
Old 10-16-2008, 05:21 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Ck no offense to you bro, but are you serious

He hasn't made not 1 product for the tl, he's done all his r&d for the accord, and for v6 performance, it just so happens that it fits the TL

I approached richie and told him, listen you have all the resources and connections to get this done

Furthermore I had jmkiang contact richie so he could make this happen (jmkiang is 20mins away from richie)

This is the first product that he's made directed solely for the TL, this is the first time anyone has made it

So I stand behind my statement... It makes sense to buy whichever comes out first

There is no doubt richie's quality control is above all others (TRUST ME WHEN I SAY THIS) he'll trash something if its 1mm off spec

Regarding the vendor status, I and jmkiang have urged him to, aswell as he's contacted the mods regarding this fact

As for the entire pollution argument, c'mon bro, we aren't the first one's running catless

So I will finish this statement by saying, sure he's sold a few products here and there, but you know what, he's only sold it because his product is above avergae quality... Is it wrong he's not a vendor here, sure, but he's a vendor on v6 performance and that is also where a lot of the guys have educated themselves regarding richie's work ethic and reliability

Ps. He'll be a vendor soon
Old 10-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

very well said Kennedy and no offense taken at all. you others and myself included wanted this bar a while ago. i simply made my brackets as a band aid of sorts until a legit bar came out. now it looks like one will

stillhere153 i have respect for you, you know your shit no doubt! and i know you're loyal to richie and his products, that's cool to each his own. im sure there's quality there. to the OP considering a bar. Cusco is a proven company when it comes to stuff like this. and will stand by their design and quality. like i said before if in doubt about which one wait to compare them both, then decide. you dont want to spend $$ on something you're gonna want to trade in after a new one drops. remember the rear sway bar? when the progress bar came out people wanted to switch over to it from the comptech.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Instructor

Sorry this is a noob question but what is EDFC?
Old 10-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by OStateBeaver
Sorry this is a noob question but what is EDFC?
Electronic Damping Force Control, with the Tein SS Coilover suspension, you have the ability to adjust to 16 settings via a wrench by hand. The EDFC basically is 4 little motors that attach to the top of each shock, so when you want to adjust it, the motors will adjust the shock rather than you having to take off the tire and adjust it. As well the precision from the motors make the coilovers 32 way adjustable.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Instructor

Got ya! Thanks! So is it worth it to get a strut bar if you dont have EDFC?

Quick Reply: Fastline Performance Strut Brace by Cusco