Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Replaced Brembo Pads Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 02:13 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Factory Replaced Brembo Pads Problem

I had my front Brembo Brake pads replaced under the recall on my 04 (6MT) about 5,000 miles ago. Just recently I have noticed a vibration when stopping that feels like a warped rotor or rotors.

Has anyone else who had the orginal screaching brembo brake pads replaced under warranty by the factory experienced a similiar problem?

I have not taken the car back to the dealer yet but planning on setting up an appointment soon. Would like to go in with some added ammunition if they try to fight me on it.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:38 PM
Racer

What recall? I have not heard of any recall on 6MTs.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:08 PM
Safety Car

there was no recall on the 6MT pads. there was a service bulletin to replace the brembo pads because alot of people were complaining about brake squeal. the bulletin was removed cause replacing the pads did not fix the problem. most people have the brake squeal problem the first few thousand miles but it goes away.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:18 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mrstorage
I had my front Brembo Brake pads replaced under the recall on my 04 (6MT) about 5,000 miles ago. Just recently I have noticed a vibration when stopping that feels like a warped rotor or rotors.

Has anyone else who had the orginal screaching brembo brake pads replaced under warranty by the factory experienced a similiar problem?

I have not taken the car back to the dealer yet but planning on setting up an appointment soon. Would like to go in with some added ammunition if they try to fight me on it.
1) Ensure the wheel retaining bolts were torqued to spec, not air gun whammed on - improper torque can cause pulling of the rotor, and the symptoms you describe. They make be warped, but if they are being pulled asymetrically, proper tensioning can often correct things

2) Ensure the right shims and pad backing grease was applied (Molykote 77)

3) Ensure the caliper retaining bolts were properly torqued

Factory systems almost never screech - Brembos can - but a bad vibration should not exist in a properly serviced OEM brake system.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:48 PM
Pro

I had the screeching pads fixed. At first my rep told me that the bulletin was suspended, because changing the pads did not resolve the problem. I also developed a slight vibration during hard braking, and an almost grinding feeling sometimes. During an oil change appointment I brought it up and my rep informed me that they released a new bulletin on the Brembos. I had all pads and both fronts rotors replaced about a month ago. No squeaking anymore. No vibration or grinding feeling either.

Check with your reps again if you had this problem, as there is now a fix for it.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:19 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

My 5AT has brake squeal -- used to only be when the car was cold but now happens at all times during the day. I've read a lot about the dangers of getting the rotors resurfaced when they're brand new, so I have been hesitant to take the car in. I guess I could request that the dealer replace the rotors entirely, but what assurance do I have that they will?
Old 02-19-2005, 10:30 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
My 5AT brakes squeal too!! I was planning to bring it up on my second service (should be at around 14,000) in a couple of months, I was actually going to ask for review here on the board for people who have had squeaking issues and whether they were resolved by the dealer or not....
Old 02-19-2005, 10:50 PM
Pro

Sorry guys, I should have been more clear. I have a 6MT and the Brembos.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:51 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by scrb09
My 5AT brakes squeal too!! I was planning to bring it up on my second service (should be at around 14,000) in a couple of months, I was actually going to ask for review here on the board for people who have had squeaking issues and whether they were resolved by the dealer or not....
I've only heard bad things about getting the rotors resurfaced, which is what the dealer tends to do. I'll probably ask them to replace both the rotors and the pads and see what they say.

(While they squeal, their braking performance seems fine)
Old 02-19-2005, 11:31 PM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lore-

I had success in the past by removing the brake pads & applying Molykote to the shims & backs of the pads to eliminate noise. I would take the car in & ask them to check the vehicle & call you BEFORE performing repairs, that way you can find out what they recommend before they do it.

In fact, this is the way warranty work should be performed anyway. The customer needs to authorize it, even if they aren't paying for it.

If the suggest resurfacing the rotors, you can request they Molykote the pads first. Or, you can request they replace the pads & rotors, instead of resurfacing. They will likely explain that the manufacturer insists in resurfacing if the rotors are "servicable." This is true, but most manufacturers will authorize replacing the rotors as an issue of customer satisfaction.

Trust me when I tell you that my last 3 cars have had brake vibrations, and I will insist that my rotors be replaced if they warp. I WILL NOT live with a brake vibration again. Drives me nuts!
Old 02-19-2005, 11:35 PM
10th Gear

I need some help----BRAKE FAILURE ,SQUEELING METAL, AND VIBRATION. I have a 6MT July 2004 TL 9,300 miles and have had squeeling from the beginning. I asked the Dealer if there were any service bulletins or recalls and they said NO twice. Than took it to get serviced at another dealership and asked theM AND THEY SAID no until I took it in and than they told me there was a service Bulletin and told me they would replace the brakes but had to reschedule ( UGH !). Than took it in and they told me that they would only replace the brakes and I asked what about the scratched rotors and they decided to replace the rotors supposably .
Than asked about rebalancing and checking the alignment and they said they checked it and no problem even though it was vibrating. Than I drove it and slowly the squeeking and vibration returned louder than ever. AND than the brakes failed ( good thing for stick shift) with the right brake vibrating like the wheel was going to fall off. I called the ACURA dealer and they told me that they could not fit me in for another week !!! . I told them that I demand that they give me a loaner now since I am driving without brakes and they need to fix it. After hasssling with them for 30m minuts , I got an appointment two days later. Guess what, the right caliper FAILED . They replaced it ( I think they screwed it up when they supposeably replaced the rotors and brake pads ) and check the balance and noticed that the internal mass weights were destoyed ( basically the caliper ame apart and ripped the inside of the alloy wheel ( I noticed this after I picked up the car and should have asked for a new alloy wheel). Well, now i have an appointment for the third time with brkaes not working without noise and need to know if ACURA does have the answer or do I file for the lemon law and maybe the 2005 TL has the proper Brembo brakes without any problems.
NO PATIENCE in the Northeast !!!!
Old 02-19-2005, 11:48 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by Bluenote
Lore-

I had success in the past by removing the brake pads & applying Molykote to the shims & backs of the pads to eliminate noise. I would take the car in & ask them to check the vehicle & call you BEFORE performing repairs, that way you can find out what they recommend before they do it.

In fact, this is the way warranty work should be performed anyway. The customer needs to authorize it, even if they aren't paying for it.

If the suggest resurfacing the rotors, you can request they Molykote the pads first. Or, you can request they replace the pads & rotors, instead of resurfacing. They will likely explain that the manufacturer insists in resurfacing if the rotors are "servicable." This is true, but most manufacturers will authorize replacing the rotors as an issue of customer satisfaction.
Bluenote,

Thanks for the helpful hints. I will definitely suggest that they call me before they do the repairs, or at insist that they replace the whole set of rotors and pads. I'll see if I can schedule an appointment with them this week...

Again, I don't get any brake vibration or sense any braking failure - just a bunch of squealing.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:22 AM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

If your only issue is noise, expect some resistance on their part. Honestly, if they think applying some Molykote will solve the problem, I'd be open to this solution if it were me. I'd make sure to tell them up front that you absolutely do not want the rotors resurfaced. If that's what they recommend to eliminate the noise, then request they contact their DPSM for authorization to replace the rotors instead.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:29 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Bluenote,

Thanks - I'll bear that in mind. I'm okay with Molykote as well if that'll quiet down the squealing. In regards to getting some resistance from the dealership: aren't many 6MT owners complaining about squeal only as well? I don't think they're getting too much resistance from the dealerships, but I might be wrong.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:36 AM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

Honestly, I haven't heard anything from my contacts where I bought my car, and this is the first brake topic I've checked out here. So basically, I dunno!
Old 02-21-2005, 08:43 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by apwalsh
I had the screeching pads fixed. At first my rep told me that the bulletin was suspended, because changing the pads did not resolve the problem. I also developed a slight vibration during hard braking, and an almost grinding feeling sometimes. During an oil change appointment I brought it up and my rep informed me that they released a new bulletin on the Brembos. I had all pads and both fronts rotors replaced about a month ago. No squeaking anymore. No vibration or grinding feeling either.

Check with your reps again if you had this problem, as there is now a fix for it.
Thanks I have an appointment to bring it back in this week. The dealership said they had no current service bulliten's on this problem, so we will what happens.