Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory defect or something caused it? pics included

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Factory defect or something caused it? pics included

i found this on my car about 2 weeks ago but im addressing it now... theres rust on the top of the hood and a paint chip on top of the driver headlight... i called my dealer and they said bring it in and they'll tell me what if its factory defect or rock chip or something.. they said if factory defect they will repair it if not im gonna have to find a body shop... so let ms know what u guys think... i dont think its a rock chip i think its factory defect so please tell me to take this pain of my chest.. i wanna know how it got there.... so let me know what u think guys,,, o and by the way my deal is open road in brunswick i dont like their service im gonna try to call acura of ocean and see what they said.. and will it be too late to bring the car for them to see it when i get my first service or should i go let them check it out asap...??? pics below

Old 03-23-2005, 02:03 PM
Intermediate

The one above the headlight looks like a rock chip. The one at the top of the hood looks like the hood was opened with the wiper arm raised, to me. Did you have the car serviced (oil change, etc.) somewhere recently?
Old 03-23-2005, 02:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
that's a hell of a chip ... i would think you woudl see that when you took delivery... Maybe it was from this winter... That type of damage could easily be from the road. Looks like a rock hit you up high and then probably off the windshield...
Old 03-23-2005, 02:06 PM
HMFIC

I would be surprised if they fixed that. It sure looks like a rock chip to me.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:07 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KilroyR1
I would be surprised if they fixed that. It sure looks like a rock chip to me.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:19 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

dam wierd... fuccck my car has never been serviced itss brand new wit only like 1500 miles bought it 1 months ago... sigh im gonna have to shell out cash =( how much should it cost? not much right
Old 03-23-2005, 02:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

layered it with touch up paint and fa get about it... I am sure you will get more ... that's one thing for sure you will always get more...
Old 03-23-2005, 02:33 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by mickey3c
layered it with touch up paint and fa get about it... I am sure you will get more ... that's one thing for sure you will always get more...
Yeah... Touch up and move on. Get the hood painted after a few years if anything. If she's a daily driver and not your "garage show car" you'll get chips driving home the day you pick it up from the painter.

Some people use the clear bra, but I've heard complaints that above it (the top portion of the hood that isn't covered) you still get chips... Half chipped top and pristine bottom looks worse than an evenly wrecked hood IMO. I use just the middle portion of the half nose mask and take it off faithfully to dry after rain and keep it well waxed underneath and I have found it HELPS. HOWEVER, I do still have some chips... Just happens to the daily car... Shoot, if I had $33k to spend on a garage car, no offense, but it wouldn't be a TL! They're badges of honor and battle scars as I've heard some people here refer to them as.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

its a daily driver but i cant help but see it look like that... it should cost much to fix those 2 spots... all they have to do is get the rust off and paint it... i know a painter but im afraid he might not have the NBP that acura uses...
Old 03-23-2005, 02:42 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by I10O0I1
its a daily driver but i cant help but see it look like that... it should cost much to fix those 2 spots... all they have to do is get the rust off and paint it... i know a painter but im afraid he might not have the NBP that acura uses...
I have NO IDEA what it would cost to get it professionally painted, color matched and feathered in.... ???

Any real body shop can get the NBP though... I wouldn't stress about that.

Shoot, just get a carbon fiber hood!
Old 03-23-2005, 04:48 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Redoing a hood is about $600-$650.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:19 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

doo they have to redo the whole hood? cabt tget hysr do that part only where its messed up
Old 03-23-2005, 05:44 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
doo they have to redo the whole hood? cabt tget hysr do that part only where its messed up
First off, and I have never said this to anyone on here before but please,,, check your post prior to hitting the "submit" tab..... You may stumble upon a few "errors" you can fix to make it more readable.....

Now, for your hood. Most likely your entire hood would get painted. Just to feather out the two chips would require approximately two 8-10 inch diameter feather/primed areas, then more to blend in the color. At a minimum they would most likely re-clearcoat the entire hood.

Best of luck.

PS - And this would apply to many..... Check out (google it) a small free program called "ieSpell". Works great for spell checking prior to submitting threads.......

Cheers
Old 03-23-2005, 06:42 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

lol sorry for the typo it was cold i just steped in and rushed to the comp.. i appoligize
Old 03-24-2005, 04:07 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Cool Time for the CSI thing

As one poster pointed out the wipers may be the culprit. The more I look the more it appears the wiper must have done that. Open your hood with the wipers up and see if it corresponds. Also check the wipers through their stroke while up in case they were accidentally turned on while the hood up. don't see how a rock could have done that unless it was falling from the sky.

IMO a rock chip should not rust as the primer should prevent that for many months. Makes me think paint defect or a gouge that went through the clear, base and primer coats. Go CSI,and look at it with a high power magnifier. If it shows any marks from something gouging you are responsible. If no marks are visible press get some high rez pics and pressure the dealer for 100% repair.

I would think a factory defect in the paint like that would be very rare or they'd be in trouble. Rust spots on a brand new near-luxury car would be newsworthy.

i found this on my car about 2 weeks ago but im addressing it now... theres rust on the top of the hood and a paint chip on top of the driver headlight... i called my dealer and they said bring it in and they'll tell me what if its factory defect or rock chip or something.. they said if factory defect they will repair it if not im gonna have to find a body shop... so let ms know what u guys think... i dont think its a rock chip i think its factory defect so please tell me to take this pain of my chest.. i wanna know how it got there.... so let me know what u think guys,,, o and by the way my deal is open road in brunswick i dont like their service im gonna try to call acura of ocean and see what they said.. and will it be too late to bring the car for them to see it when i get my first service or should i go let them check it out asap...??? pics below

edit pics removed from quote
Old 03-24-2005, 05:36 AM
Drifting

Doesn't look like a factory defect to me. I agree with the other posters that it probably was caused by the wiper arm, or a large rock hitting the hood. Personally, I wouldn't spend the money to have the whole hood repainted, I'd just have the area professionally touched up and forget about it. It's not in an area that is going to stand out, and you're likely to get more chips as you drive the car. They don't stay new forever.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:21 AM
Wants an M3 in

rock chip ... i have a million of them ... sucks

try to stay away from any type of truck/SUV ...
Old 03-24-2005, 08:12 AM
Team Anthracite Member

edit by mod Ron A:

This ain't grammer skool. One corektive post was enuf. Evenifit was in fun.

Old 03-24-2005, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
LOL - he did it again!

Just bustin ya man. Me - I can spell pretty good - my problem is I can't type to save my life.

lol sorry for the typo it was cold i just steped in and rushed to the comp.. i appoligize
Hey Mods, can we get spell checker on the post screen? Future upgrade? I could benefit from it too.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:37 AM
Burning Brakes

rock chips, use touch paint and use alot of wax or the clear bra. Dont drive to close behind anyone also
Old 03-24-2005, 01:48 PM
100k miles club

this is why i try to wash my car every week so i can spot chips and other damages. if i see any new ones, i have only a week to back track and try to remember where i was. invest in a bra, at least for your hood. from what i heard, the hood is more expensive to repair vs your bumper

that must've been a big rock to do that much damage though
Old 03-24-2005, 05:28 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TBone2004
edit by mod Ron A:

This ain't grammer skool. One corektive post was enuf. Evenifit was in fun.

Thanks, you made my point...

Seriously....

Cheers
Old 03-24-2005, 05:41 PM
Racer

I had a chip on my drivers door which rusted the same way yours did near the wipers. It is sad that this car rusts so easily. My mother damaged her aviator and has a decent scrape on the door, and has not 1 spec of rust on it for almsot a year. I went to the dealer, bought touch up paint and fixed it myself. Cant tell its there unless you know where to look, and you look up close.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:37 AM
Team Nighthawk Member

i took a closer look at it... i put thw wipers up and open the hood and the wipers doesnt contact that rust spot at alll.. so it cant be cause of the wipers... either rock chip or factory defect.. im gonna show it to the dealer when i go for my first service.. see what happens...