Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Oil too Full?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 01:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Oil too Full?

Is the engine oil consider too full if it is on the "A" of the word "R C A" of the dipstick? I think this has been talked about but i searched and searched but can't find it
Old 06-12-2006, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
It is considered to be overfilled. There is a picture of the dipstick in the owner's manual that shows you what the proper level is, which is between the two lines.

What usually happens is that the 3G takes 4.5 quarts when changing the oil and filter, but most dealers have their automatic filler set on 5 quarts, so that is what they put in. This small amount of overfill probably won't hurt, but it is of course better to stay within the lines.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Yea my dealer changed the oil and overfilled it. At the Honda dealership, they also overfill the Pilot too all the time. Why don't they change the auto filler to 4.5 quarts instead of 5 quarts?
Old 06-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Dr. Feelgood

yeah, I asked that question awhile back. The dealership as well as Jiffy used all 5 quarts of synthetic on my car everytime they changed it. If you want it done right, do it yourself.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:38 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Not that it'd make a difference...but in some cars, it can get sucked through the PCV system...
Old 06-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Can that happen in the TL? HOw much oil will come out if i release the oil filter?
Old 06-12-2006, 11:09 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its not good to have too much, 1/2 quart doesnt hurt too much.
valvoline instant oil changes killed my lil bro's escalade by overfilling it. Something about the oil bubbling due to contact with a spining shaft and not being able to be pumped because the oil foams. This foam doesn't lubricate properly and its time for a new engine.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:29 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ding069
its not good to have too much, 1/2 quart doesnt hurt too much.
valvoline instant oil changes killed my lil bro's escalade by overfilling it. Something about the oil bubbling due to contact with a spining shaft and not being able to be pumped because the oil foams. This foam doesn't lubricate properly and its time for a new engine.
I.E.,
When significantly overfull, the oil in the oil pan makes contact with the spinning/rotating crank-shaft. This in turn aerates the oil, which causes issues with the oil pump, which then distributes poor oil flow/volume/oil pressure resulting in probable engine damage. Normally if this is taking place the crank is also flooding the piston/cylinder walls/rings with oil and you tend to get excessive smoke as well.

It all depends on the engine. Some can be overfilled more than others. I'm one to keep it within an 1/8th inch of the full mark, high or low. On most dipsticks that would equate to ~ 1/4th a quart.

-- Loosening the filter will probably drain just the right amount.

Smitty
Old 06-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by KJSmitty
I.E.,
When significantly overfull, the oil in the oil pan makes contact with the spinning/rotating crank-shaft. This in turn aerates the oil, which causes issues with the oil pump, which then distributes poor oil flow/volume/oil pressure resulting in probable engine damage. Normally if this is taking place the crank is also flooding the piston/cylinder walls/rings with oil and you tend to get excessive smoke as well.

It all depends on the engine. Some can be overfilled more than others. I'm one to keep it within an 1/8th inch of the full mark, high or low. On most dipsticks that would equate to ~ 1/4th a quart.

-- Loosening the filter will probably drain just the right amount.

Smitty
Hmmm I know on a VQ motor the crank is no where near the oil pan. Are you sure the crank is that far down on the Honda engine?
Old 06-13-2006, 01:29 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Hmmm I know on a VQ motor the crank is no where near the oil pan. Are you sure the crank is that far down on the Honda engine?
As mentioned, it all depends on the engine.

VQ, If I remember right that is a Nissan? I've had several Maxima's including an 2004 - oil pan was under the crank. Overall, as far as "no where near", I have never seen an engine that didn't have the oil pan near directly beneath the crank. Now some racing engines have external sumps/ and oil pumps but that's a different story.

Are we talking about the same crank here... I.E., Flywheel on one end, pulleys on the other with journals attached to connecting rods in the center...?

Bottom line, the crank is always at the bottom of the engine (or in the center if your talking Subaru etc..) with the oil pan below.

Cheers
Old 06-13-2006, 03:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Yes Nissan. But I can say I have taken my oil pan off and you can't even see the crank up there in the engine. All you see is the sump.

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
As mentioned, it all depends on the engine.

VQ, If I remember right that is a Nissan? I've had several Maxima's including an 2004 - oil pan was under the crank. Overall, as far as "no where near", I have never seen an engine that didn't have the oil pan near directly beneath the crank. Now some racing engines have external sumps/ and oil pumps but that's a different story.

Are we talking about the same crank here... I.E., Flywheel on one end, pulleys on the other with journals attached to connecting rods in the center...?

Bottom line, the crank is always at the bottom of the engine (or in the center if your talking Subaru etc..) with the oil pan below.

Cheers
Old 06-13-2006, 11:41 PM
Advanced

not from a half a quart...
Old 10-24-2006, 12:24 PM
Burning Brakes

How much oil will come out if i open up just the oil filter without draining out?
Old 10-24-2006, 03:40 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Why not just take it back to the dealer and have them drain it if you're not too comfortable dropping the oil yourself? The oil filter will hold approximately .5qt of oil. Removing it will not bring the oil level down enough since oil soaks into the filter.

You can loosen the drain plug and remove it for about 3-5 seconds then put it back in quickly and torque it to spec. If the oil is below the full mark all you have to do is top it up from there.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:31 AM
www.seattlewhips.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up i agree

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Why not just take it back to the dealer and have them drain it if you're not too comfortable dropping the oil yourself? The oil filter will hold approximately .5qt of oil. Removing it will not bring the oil level down enough since oil soaks into the filter.

You can loosen the drain plug and remove it for about 3-5 seconds then put it back in quickly and torque it to spec. If the oil is below the full mark all you have to do is top it up from there.
this would be the easiest way.