Sponsored by:

Engine Oil Overfill?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Engine Oil Overfill?

Guys,

I just changed the engine oil earlier today and thought I put in 4.5 qts but ended up overfilling by a 1/4 qt or a tad bit more. The Redline qts are a bit tough to judge on the level. Reading the oil level after letting the car sit for about 15 min after startup, the level is clearly about an 1/8th of a inch over the max amount - into the C on RCA.

It's not over by much but I have searched around and am reading about all the talk of possible engine damage by overfilling, even if they were talking about 1qt+ of an overfill.

Shit, I've been changing oil for nearly 20 years and can't believe I did this on the new purchase. I'm thinking of draining a little by loosening the filter. Should I be worrying?
Old 07-11-2010, 11:39 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Not at all.. IMO. I overfilled mine as well, by just a hair according to the dipstick, and no issues. This has been about 1500 miles ago.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:35 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
A quarter of a quart or a hair more is not going to cause any problems. Our cars have a windage (baffle) tray in the crankcase to help keep oil from introducing itself to the crankshaft. You should be fine.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Pro

Being paranoid can screw things up...Pops said you gotta work on it like its the Accord and just take it easy. Nice to know we have a baffle tray.

ATF is next.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:18 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Your fine.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:27 PM
ScoobyZINE

LMK how the tranny change goes! Are you doing a 3x3?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Pro

^^^Yep, doing a 3x3 with Redline D4 for the first time. I gotta take take it easy and check out the DIY again.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:43 PM
ScoobyZINE

I've studied the DIY many many times and it looks quite simple . How many miles are on your car?
Old 07-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by AMUA6
I've studied the DIY many many times and it looks quite simple . How many miles are on your car?
15.5k miles thus far but it was purchased in Nov. 2006, so even though the miles are low, the number of years allow for a 3x3...haha, that's how I've sold it to myself. The original owner hasn't changed it.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:23 PM
ScoobyZINE

Oh yeah definitely I'm at 101k on my 05 I was going to say introduce 3 quarts, then drive it for a week, then do the 2x3, granted if your car had the mileage mine does lol
Old 07-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Everytime I change my oil, I buy the 5 quart jug and put it all in. Been doing this forever and have had NO problems. I have 98k on my car, it runs as smooth as a baby's bottom.

You should be fine!
Old 07-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to do it all at once otherwise you're mixing more of the new fluid w/the old. Follow the DIY and you'll b fine. I switched to D4 at 102k miles and you can really tell a difference in shift quality. If you can do an oil change you can do the 3x3..Very easy and it doesn't take very long to do.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by sac2006TL
Everytime I change my oil, I buy the 5 quart jug and put it all in. Been doing this forever and have had NO problems. I have 98k on my car, it runs as smooth as a baby's bottom.

You should be fine!
I guess 1/2 a qt over is not the worst but I'd be careful and try not to repeat it if I could help it.

Originally Posted by boomersooner02000
You need to do it all at once otherwise you're mixing more of the new fluid w/the old. Follow the DIY and you'll b fine. I switched to D4 at 102k miles and you can really tell a difference in shift quality. If you can do an oil change you can do the 3x3..Very easy and it doesn't take very long to do.
I guess there is a difference in opinion on what is best when switching over to a new ATF. There also appears to be some folks mentioning that Honda's Z1 has a secret sauce just for their cars. I'm sticking with Redline due to an old friends reco along with solid research on Azine from a few knowledgeable folks.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
I wouldn't get too nervous about it to be honest.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Won't hurt a thing. Another 5 quart user here. Keep in mind when setting the oil level, the car is made to be completely full with no poblems climbing hills, max cornering, max braking, decending hills, going over bumps, the average owner that may slightly overfill it, etc. I would not think twice about it until you get past a full quart overfull. The dipstick goes into the pan at an angle. So an inch on the dipstick could be only half an inch actual in the pan.

As for the 3x3, you always mix all of the fluid together. It's mixed within 30 seconds of starting it. That's why we have to do it 3 times, to get mostly new fluid. The only way to not mix is to pull a cooler line and let it shoot out into a bucket while you're adding new fluid through the dipstick. The reason to do a 1x3 first on high mileage cars with original fluid is to not "shock" the system with new fluid and detergents and cause larger particles to break free and plug things up. At low and moderate mileage or if the fluid has been changed before, there's no reason to not do a 3x3.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
The reason to do a 1x3 first on high mileage cars with original fluid is to not "shock" the system with new fluid and detergents and cause larger particles to break free and plug things up. At low and moderate mileage or if the fluid has been changed before, there's no reason to not do a 3x3.
Do you have any "real" world data on how you come about your theory of "shocking" the fluid? I own a transmission shop and we specialize in repairing and rebuilding transmissions. Not ONCE have I seen any sort of shocking going on with the system. You lost all credibility right there. You sound like a backyard mechanic regurgitating information spewed on the internet.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by chaiwala
Do you have any "real" world data on how you come about your theory of "shocking" the fluid? I own a transmission shop and we specialize in repairing and rebuilding transmissions. Not ONCE have I seen any sort of shocking going on with the system. You lost all credibility right there. You sound like a backyard mechanic regurgitating information spewed on the internet.
Yes, dumbass, I have a little experience. I worked at a trans shop in my early years doing R&R and started building the easy stuff for the last 2 years (TH350, 400, 200c, and 200-4R for obvious reasons).

I only speak of experience and practically never use google. It might be wise to have a clue about the person you're talking about before you run your mouth.

So back to the point. I saw it time and time again. If a car came in with high miles and had never had a change and we pulled the pan to check it out, we always saved the old fluid and put it back in. This was a free service so save yourself the trouble of saying it was to make a larger profit. Nearly 50% of the time a customer demanded new fluid on one of these transmissions, especially when it had a lot of clutch material in the pan, it came back very shortly with a complete failure. This was over the course of 4 years so I saw a few of these. This was the policy of the owner and I learned after a while that it was a good policy.

So back to the word "shocking" since you seem to think my whole post focuses on one word. I meant shocking in the sense of going from old fluid with used up detergents to new fluid with no contamination load ready to break up anything that gets in it's way. It's better to introduce it slowly when the option is there so it can begin removing stuff at a more gradual rate. Then you dump that contaminate load and fill it up again. Doing it all at once means you have a bunch of the crap that it cleans still in the sump for the duration of the OCI. As you know if you actually own a shop, it doesn't take much to stick a valve or plug up a lube passage.

I'm sorry you don't understand basic stuff. Next time lose the attitude.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:13 PM
Racer

show me proof and we can talk. Put your mouth where your money is. If you want to call me dumbass, thats fine it just shows how refined your grammar.

There was no attitude in my post. It had everything to CALL you out after reading your other post about transmission and oil. People here hold your word as the holy grail and I am here to see if you can show me PROOF about what you are talking about.

If you want show me the proof and I will SHUT up otherwise you are the one not understanding the basic stuff.

I have been in this business for over 10 years and not once have I seen any type of shock regardless of the mileage.

Yes, I am calling you out. Your turn.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Team Owner

show me proof and we can talk. Put your mouth where your money is. If you want to call me dumbass, thats fine it just shows how refined your grammar.
You're one of those... Can't win an argument so you go for the grammar. While we're at it, how about you finish your sentence Mr Grammar. "that's fine it just shows how refined your grammar" You forgot the end of the sentence.
There was no attitude in my post.
Yes, there was. The whole "backyard mechanic" "regurgitating info spewed on the internet"
It had everything to CALL you out after reading your other post about transmission and oil.
I feel dumber for posting this but another grammar mistake.
People here hold your word as the holy grail and I am here to see if you can show me PROOF about what you are talking about.
No one holds my word as the Holy Grail. Jealous much?

People are free to believe whatever they want. I share my experiences. If you don't like it, move on.
If you want show me the proof and I will SHUT up otherwise you are the one not understanding the basic stuff.
Proof? How about my eyes. I don't need to google a paper to back up what I've experienced first hand. Since you like these games, how about you provide proof that what I say is not true. We can play this game all day.
I have been in this business for over 10 years and not once have I seen any type of shock regardless of the mileage.

Yes, I am calling you out. Your turn.
An internet call out. That's nice. I'm sorry you have not seen this. Maybe you should pay better attention to what goes through your shop. Regardless, it does not take away from what I've seen over and over.

You could've just asked why I posted what I did but you had to do it in a negative tone. I don't just post crap. If I'm unsure about something I post that I'm unsure. If it's an opinion I say it's an opinion. I have no reason to mislead people and if I saw only one or two failures of this sort I would not even bring it up.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Racer

I am still waiting for you to prove your "theory" or what your "eyes" have seen. I am not going to go back and forth with a guy who has no clue what he is talking about. Yes, that is what I think of you. When you show me something worth while, I will continue this. You are the one who made a statement and I want you to back it up with proof. If you can't back it up, don't post it. Very easy to do. People here are getting half arse opinion from a guy who has ZERO credibility in my eyes. I am not going to continue the back and forth exchanges. It comes down to you either being able to back up your statement or not. Its simple. Since I know you are a fake, I know you have absolutely nothing to show me in form of proof.

I understand that googling something is worthless but if what you said in your original statement was true, there would be a lot of internet folks with your theory. Try googling and see what you find. If people here don't believe that you are a liar, then I urge them to go to any locally trusted transmission garage or shop and show them your statement and simply ask what they think of it, they will know who is right and who is wrong. Plain and simple.

I am done here, because I don't do the whole internet fighting well. Especially when the person making a particular statement has no foundation to stand on.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Team Owner

I am still waiting for you to prove your "theory" or what your "eyes" have seen. I am not going to go back and forth with a guy who has no clue what he is talking about. Yes, that is what I think of you. When you show me something worth while, I will continue this. You are the one who made a statement and I want you to back it up with proof. If you can't back it up, don't post it. Very easy to do. People here are getting half arse opinion from a guy who has ZERO credibility in my eyes. I am not going to continue the back and forth exchanges. It comes down to you either being able to back up your statement or not. Its simple. Since I know you are a fake, I know you have absolutely nothing to show me in form of proof.

I understand that googling something is worthless but if what you said in your original statement was true, there would be a lot of internet folks with your theory. Try googling and see what you find. If people here don't believe that you are a liar, then I urge them to go to any locally trusted transmission garage or shop and show them your statement and simply ask what they think of it, they will know who is right and who is wrong. Plain and simple.

I am done here, because I don't do the whole internet fighting well. Especially when the person making a particular statement has no foundation to stand on.
Yep, I'm a fake. You should tell that to the people on here that I've helped out, that have seen my cars, that have been to the track with me. It seems you're the nobody with no foundation to stand on. Jealousy is a bad thing. You should learn to get over it.

My eyes and years of experience are plenty for me. I don't need some know it all with diarrhea of the mouth such as yourself to affirm it for me. Question, what did people like yourself do before the internet was around? You couldn't possibly have any knowledge without google.

Remember, being the parts washer at a trans shop does not mean you're the owner or you know what you're talking about, you fake. I'm done arguing with a little boy but if you would like to show up at Acurafest and continue this conversation in person I'm all for it.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Where Did My Garage Go?!!

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
This conversation is quite entertaining. When will the response come? On a side not, since I have essentially no clue about any of this....lets say I have an 05 with 35K on it. Pretty sure no one has ever change the tranny fluid. Is this something I should look into? and if so, what benefits would it provide? is 35K low enought (I would hope so) to do a 3x3 change?

Anyone can answer, though from reading the 204910 pages of the Turbo thread, I think IHC knows his shit....I don't even know him but I would trust him with my car.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lucnex
This conversation is quite entertaining. When will the response come? On a side not, since I have essentially no clue about any of this....lets say I have an 05 with 35K on it. Pretty sure no one has ever change the tranny fluid. Is this something I should look into? and if so, what benefits would it provide? is 35K low enought (I would hope so) to do a 3x3 change?

Anyone can answer, though from reading the 204910 pages of the Turbo thread, I think IHC knows his shit....I don't even know him but I would trust him with my car.
If it were 35K on any other fluid but the stock Z1 I would say you don't need to change it yet. In your case, it's borderline but I would change it to a good aftermarket fluid.

You'll be fine doing a 3x3. The 1x3 I mentioned is just for exceptionally high miles on original fluid. It's not necessary to do the 1x3 in place of the 3x3 but if you have the option of doing it, it's not a bad idea. The "other" guy took it way out of context as it was a recommdation, not a rule.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:56 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=AcuraElement;12165496]Guys,

I just changed the engine oil earlier today and thought I put in 4.5 qts but ended up overfilling by a 1/4 qt or a tad bit more. The Redline qts are a bit tough to judge on the level. Reading the oil level after letting the car sit for about 15 min after startup, the level is clearly about an 1/8th of a inch over the max amount - into the C on RCA.

Don't worry about .5 qt. I always pour in 5 1 qt bottles or 1 jug of 5 qts. I don't like to keep just .5 qt somewhere in my garage. It's a hassle. you'll be fine.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AcuraElement
^^^Yep, doing a 3x3 with Redline D4 for the first time. I gotta take take it easy and check out the DIY again.
I already did trans oil change at 30k. I could pour out almost 4 qts of old oil and put in 4 qts of royal purple ATF. I'm done. Just enjoy the car.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:51 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Yep, I'm a fake. You should tell that to the people on here that I've helped out, that have seen my cars, that have been to the track with me. It seems you're the nobody with no foundation to stand on. Jealousy is a bad thing. You should learn to get over it.

My eyes and years of experience are plenty for me. I don't need some know it all with diarrhea of the mouth such as yourself to affirm it for me. Question, what did people like yourself do before the internet was around? You couldn't possibly have any knowledge without google.

Remember, being the parts washer at a trans shop does not mean you're the owner or you know what you're talking about, you fake. I'm done arguing with a little boy but if you would like to show up at Acurafest and continue this conversation in person I'm all for it.
This post all but concludes that you have the matuarity of a 10 year old. With that, I will let it be. Good luck to you!
Old 07-16-2010, 09:19 AM
Team Owner

This post all but concludes that you have the matuarity of a 10 year old. With that, I will let it be. Good luck to you!
Don't let the door hit you in the ass.