Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine not in time??

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 02:14 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine not in time??

So a week or so back I was driving 4th gear cruising and my car just shut off, ran codes and it said cmp sensor intermittent so we are inside doing the timing belt and sensor and we can't get the engine in time, when the cam gears are TDC the crank gear is at 5 o clock I'll provide pictures to have a look, note both the cam gears are at tdc but the crank gear isn't, when the crank is at tdc the cam is on cylinder 6 and 2, is it possible that it really jumped that much and why would the two cam gears still be in time with each other

Old 03-29-2022, 07:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Check the tensioner, sometimes they will fail and allow the belt to jump a few teeth since there is no tension on the belt.
The following users liked this post:
Pair of TLs (03-29-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 01:44 PM
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by BrendanLabelle
why would the two cam gears still be in time with each other
I would guess that because the crankshaft supplies the force to the belt, it will always be easier for the belt to slip at that point. The cams only receive force from the belt.

I still can't figure out how your engine is off 9 teeth with no loud noises.
Old 03-30-2022, 02:04 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by csmeance
Check the tensioner, sometimes they will fail and allow the belt to jump a few teeth since there is no tension on the belt.
From what we could tell it seemed to be tensioned but ill check tomorrow when i can look at the car again and look more closely at the tensioner to see if that was a faulty point or not
Old 03-31-2022, 12:44 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by redbeard1
I would guess that because the crankshaft supplies the force to the belt, it will always be easier for the belt to slip at that point. The cams only receive force from the belt.

I still can't figure out how your engine is off 9 teeth with no loud noises.
yeah that makes sense now that you say that but even 9 teeth seems alot, and when it had shut off I was coming home from a long day at work listening to music pretty loud so I wasn't really able to hear any sounds when it happened unfortunately but cranking after I didn't hear any abnormal noise, we are removing all the old timing stuff and putting new in between today and Monday in my school's auto class so we shall see on the first start how bad it is
​​​​​​​
Old 03-31-2022, 03:12 PM
Cruisin'

Update

Was able to remove all timing components and put the engine in the correct time, tomorrow we will try to assemble and test everything, also a update on why it jumped we may have found the reason, the lower tb cover seems to almost be shredded around the crank pulley area and I'm assuming a piece of plastic got stuck between the belt and gear🤷‍♂️
Old 03-31-2022, 05:05 PM
Drifting

Received 799 Likes on 487 Posts
Who doesn't love: "CSI: Engine" episodes?

Epilogue: "Good for another 100K"
Old 03-31-2022, 05:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Check the crank pulley make sure the rubber isolator hasn't split letting the pulley move around side to side. When they fail they usually come apart and slide with the center section still attached to crank.

Old 04-01-2022, 12:02 AM
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts
the lower tb cover seems to almost be shredded around the crank pulley area and I'm assuming a piece of plastic got stuck between the belt and gear🤷‍♂️
It does seem as though the crank pulley was rubbing against the cover. Maybe at the last timing belt, they over-tightened the crank pulley nut thereby forcing the pulley closer to the cover. One other idea, any chance were you missing the spacer/shim shown in the attached image? If that spacer/shim was missing, I imagine the pulley would be tightened too close to the cover.

Best of luck with the engine.

Old 04-01-2022, 04:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,799 Likes on 1,447 Posts
One other idea, any chance were you missing the spacer/shim shown in the attached image? If that spacer/shim was missing, I imagine the pulley would be tightened too close to the cover.
It looks like it was there (bottom right) in his picture?

The following users liked this post:
redbeard1 (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 06:48 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by csmeance
Check the crank pulley make sure the rubber isolator hasn't split letting the pulley move around side to side. When they fail they usually come apart and slide with the center section still attached to crank.
I'll have to check that Monday, I'm doing all the work in my school shop, does that just sit inside the crank pulley?
Old 04-01-2022, 06:50 PM
Cruisin'

It does seem as though the crank pulley was rubbing against the cover. Maybe at the last timing belt, they over-tightened the crank pulley nut thereby forcing the pulley closer to the cover. One other idea, any chance were you missing the spacer/shim shown in the attached image? If that spacer/shim was missing, I imagine the pulley would be tightened too close to the cover.

Best of luck with the engine.

yup it was there I'm assuming it was just overtightned by previous person im not really sure tbh i didnt see anything out of the ordinary that would have cause it
Old 04-01-2022, 06:54 PM
Cruisin'

Update #2:

Was able to get everything back together and in time today, we started it and there was a loud audible tick coming from bank 2, I guess I wasnt so lucky, we did a compression test on #4 and #5, #5 clocked in at 0 for compression I'm assuming that one of the valves is toast, that's as far as we could get today till Monday where we will do a leak down test to confirm what we found and then probably pull valve covers and go from there
Old 04-02-2022, 12:27 PM
Senior Moderator

I'll have to check that Monday, I'm doing all the work in my school shop, does that just sit inside the crank pulley?
That's the outer ring of the crank pulley! The inner one that bolts to crank was still attached to the block and this came apart! Have seen a handful in my year wrenching.
Old 04-04-2022, 08:52 PM
Cruisin'

Update #3

Did leakdown test today and cylinder 4 held some pressure but by no means good and cylinder 5 really did nothing, so I'm left with two options pull the engine and get a lower milage one or take the heads off( almost there already with timing belt 2 bolts away from being off and valve covers off) and rebuild them, my only question is if the valves are bent does this mean possible the rockers are going to be bent, everything I've seen shows rockers are $$$$$$$ is there a tell tale way to really tell or are you just looking for deformities
Old 04-07-2022, 11:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Did leakdown test today and cylinder 4 held some pressure but by no means good and cylinder 5 really did nothing, so I'm left with two options pull the engine and get a lower milage one or take the heads off( almost there already with timing belt 2 bolts away from being off and valve covers off) and rebuild them, my only question is if the valves are bent does this mean possible the rockers are going to be bent, everything I've seen shows rockers are $$$$$$$ is there a tell tale way to really tell or are you just looking for deformities
See if you can get a junkyard head and slap that on the current motor as long as there is no damage to pistons.