3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic Issues, am I the only one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 12:10 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Electrical Issues, am I the only one?

I am a young widowed woman of retirement age and feel as though I may being taken advantage of.

I am a 2nd Gen Acura owner and I am pissed off!

I have a NEW 2004 Acura TL with 2600 miles and most of them upon delivery as a NEW car.

I am having Dash issues.

I have had to have had an a NEW battery replaced. :wow:

Today, I was told that if I left my TL undriven for more 3 days, I should disconect the battery. I don't even know, where it is under the hood.

Am I getting smoke blown under my skirt?

A younger friend's husband is still laughing, but he owns a Lexus!
Old 02-22-2004, 12:36 AM
Banned

AB, Sorry to hear that they are blowing smoke, no car should have to have the battery disconnected after three days.

A month or more, yes, but not 3 days.

I have had my TL unstarted in 3 weeks and all is fine (I travel to europe), except the memory seat issue that we all have.

Sounds like one of the electronic moduales are not going into standby mode and continues to draw power when it should not.

Good luck and maybe go to a different dealer.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:51 AM
Instructor

Sorry to here this but your dealer is telling you stories. I broght my TL home on Feb 8th and it hasn't been out of the garage since because of the crappy weather. I have been spending a fair amount of time playing with the radio though and have had no battery problems. My previous 2002 TL-S sat in the garage for 3 months and started right up. It sounds like you have a short somewhere that is slowly draining off power. It could be something like a trunk light swicth that is not turning off.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Your dealer is telling you crap. You should choose another in SoCal (or at least another service rep at that dealership), there are many members on this site from there and they can help you out in that regard.

And a new battery replaced on a new car? That's a new one on me. What made the dealer replace that? Just curious.

The dash issues are fairly common as the car settles in. I've had a couple of transient rattles that have ultimately disappeared. Others have had more persistent issues.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:44 AM
Racer

I think you are not being taken seriously, you are getting jerked around, and you have every right to be frustrated. A service consultant who would spew such obvious, ridiculous garbage is at the very least in need of training. I suggest you get another opinion from a service manager. If it was a service manager that gave you that stupid answer, I suggest you go straight to another dealer. If you cannot get satisfactory service from that service department, you may want to elevate your complaint to management or even ACS if necessary, but that's up to you. Going that route is always a giant headache, no matter how warranted it may be. Win or lose, you're still stuck with the headache.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:44 AM
3rd Gear

Angry

The battery was replaced, after the car would not start.

The Dash issue involves the Displays coming and going.

The Service Department has told me that they have another part on order, but are vague with a woman of my age. While sitting in the Service Area, I spoke to a number of other disappointed TL owners

BTW, I called Acura HQS in Torrance, CA and the supervisor I spoke to was rude.

My salesman ignores me and was the one that told me to disconnect my battery.

I am severely disappointed, but have yet to find anyone at Acura that sincerely cares.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally posted by ABSnider
The battery was replaced, after the car would not start.

The Dash issue involves the Displays coming and going.

The Service Department has told me that they have another part on order, but are vague with a woman of my age. While sitting in the Service Area, I spoke to a number of other disappointed TL owners

BTW, I called Acura HQS in Torrance, CA and the supervisor I spoke to was rude.

My salesman ignores me and was the one that told me to disconnect my battery.

I am severely disappointed, but have yet to find anyone at Acura that sincerely cares.
Ohhhhhh...an electrical dash issue. I haven't heard anyone complain about that yet--can't be common. And your salesman obviously doesn't know anything about cars, and wouldn't know how to service yours anyway. You clearly need to go to another dealer for service if they can't settle this electronics issue. I have not had ANY issue with the electronics of the car except for the ubiquitous seat memory loss issue.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:31 PM
Racer

you really should contact acura directly and complain about the dealer.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:18 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by digital_b
you really should contact acura directly and complain about the dealer.
I SECOND That! Who cares about age/gender/etc, you deserve to be treated like a respected TL owner and you also deserve resolution! Don't let the dealer and service department get away with this. Complain, complain, complain all the way to the top! And if you see your salesman getting ready to close a deal while you are doing all this complaining, just kindly tap the new buyer on the shoulder and let them know, Hey this jerk's "Service" AFTER the "Sale" SUCKS!
Old 02-22-2004, 08:12 PM
Racer

Time to contact Better Business Burea? Acura will jump at your feet if they hear from BBB. You may even get an apology from the CEO. In any case, you have every right as a consumer and being a women should NEVER be a factor.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:08 PM
Banned

Acura has had some TSB's on bad batteries, on other cars and the 04 TL also.

So a bad battery is no mystery to me.

BTW - The battery is made by Delco (the gm folks, or was gm?)

With so much electronics, problems with the displays are not unexpected.

I have heard there are many unhappy TL owners, and some very happy.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:41 PM
Instructor

Re: Electrical Issues, am I the only one?

I am a young widowed woman of retirement age and feel as though I may being taken advantage of.

I am a 2nd Gen Acura owner and I am pissed off!

I have a NEW 2004 Acura TL with 2600 miles and most of them upon delivery as a NEW car.

I am having Dash issues.

I have had to have had an a NEW battery replaced. :wow:

Today, I was told that if I left my TL undriven for more 3 days, I should disconect the battery. I don't even know, where it is under the hood.
Hmmm... Which dealer was that? I been going to Cerritos Acura and they always exceeded my expectations as far as service goes. I hope you get your problems resolved soon.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:58 AM
'05 DGP/Parch 5AT Navi

Re: Electrical Issues, am I the only one?

Wait a second. Are you saying your car was delivered from the dealer with almost 2600 miles on it? I hate to second guess you, but if that's the case then I would have refused delivery. It sounds like it was a demo car for a while; in other words, it's be thoroughly mistreated.

I've read somewhere (I believe on this forum) that there are laws regarding how many miles can be on a car for it to be sold as new. You may want to check with the CA attorney general's office to see if such a law exists. If so, I'd use that as leverage to to either get a new car or better service from the dealer and Honda (have an attorney write the dealer and Honda a letter to let them know they sold you a car under false pretenses).

If I'm wrong about the new car mileage law, see if you can get a male friend to go into the dealer with you next time. Maybe the dealer's just sexist (not justifing it, but something you may have to deal with).

-phil
Old 02-23-2004, 11:25 AM
3rd Gear

Lightbulb

:wow: TYPO ALERT! I meant 216 miles.

BTW, I have an appointment with the Sales Manager today.

I will keep you all updated!

Thanks for all of your support!!!!
Old 02-23-2004, 05:10 PM

Almost typical at this point.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:58 PM
Instructor

My battery brand is Delphi. A lot of times I don't use it for 4 days. No battery problems. I even have my GPS receiver that I leave on (direct constant on connection to the fuse box). The dealership is really BSing you. You can contact your local news station consumer hotline to give them the dealer the worst TV plug if they still give you a hard time. Start with the Acura hotline first.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:41 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Time to change dealers.