EGR Valve v. My Weekend Story

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008 | 09:08 AM
Instructor

EGR Valve v. My Weekend Story

So over the weekend, I was driving down to New York, and a little more than half way down there was some traffic, and naturally I had to slow down. So I notice my engine almost making a pinging noise which got worse as I slowed (you know that noise when you slow down and your car is still in high gear)...generally I don't leave my car in gear when braking, but this time I checked and it was in neutral...and as I approached 15mph...14.....13...12...11...10....9mph and somewhere around that the car just shut off...stalled out completely. On the highway!! So now I am stuck in the middle lane with 18 wheelers all around me and I am trying to desperately start my car...this went on for an eternity....but after starting it by revving the engine in neutral I was able to get it moving. The problem subsided as I increased speed. I called up my Acura Service Dealership, who told me to make sure I had adequate gas in the tank...so I pulled over and filled up (premium of course)....I turn the car on after filling up, and once again it shuts off. I waited a bit and finally got it back on and parked elsewhere....opened the hood, and the engine was knocking so violently I thought it was going to fall through the chassis. I get back on the phone with Acura of Westchester as they were going to be in the direction I was going and I set up a appt with a real nice guy there who plugged the computer in to tell me EGR valve might be damaged. He told me my car must have been suffocating because the "exhaust gas release" valve was not properly re-injecting the necessary carbon emission back into the manifold and so forth....so I parked the car at my destination finally and didn't touch it for the entire night. The next morning, I had to drop it off at my dealership back home, who took it in and gave me a loaner.

So the diagnosis seems at this point that the EGR valve is faulty and needs to be replaced. The dealer wants to charge me almost $300 for this, considering the valve itself, labor, and diagnostic charge. My biggest problem with this is that a similar problem arose in the past...where the engine was knocking violently....but was quickly fixed after I put in gas. (Gas was a bit under a 1/2 tank on both situations)...I explained that to Acura Client Service in California (toll free number), and they are currently investigating my case to see if they can take care of me, since the car is only about a few miles out of warranty. In addition to all this...my brakes were worn down pretty bad, and they told me "legally" I could not take the car off their premises because it is a liability on their part in case something happened due to worn down brakes....that being said, I was not going to spend $750 on front rotors and brakes again, so I decided to get in touch with excelerate (from this board), and purchase some rotora x-drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads...those are being installed today...hopefully I get more than the usual 30K miles out of that setup. The dealer also told me I would need a new air filter, tranny fluid, as well as something to do with the a/c and brake lines (fluids).

At this point, I feel they are just adding things on...and who knows whether or not they will service the EGR under warranty. Do you have any opinions on this, or perhaps past experience with Acura Client Service? Today the dealer told me that I should start collecting VIN numbers from my other family members and their acura vehicles to show them we have more than one in the house. I mean, I am not about to contact my cousins/aunts/uncles and collect VIN numbers from them...that is quite embarrassing...and I think Acura should man up, especially when they avoided the problem the first time, telling me to just put gas and not asking me to bring the vehicle in for inspection.
Old 06-27-2008 | 10:51 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

it doesnt take a pro to replace egr valve... it is right there infront of you

if you block it off you'd gain mad hp... but you'd have a check engine light lol kidding on that
Old 06-27-2008 | 11:12 AM
Safety Car

yea id change the part myself its 100$ i believe with the gasket
Old 06-27-2008 | 11:16 AM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Originally Posted by Bounce
So over the weekend, I was driving down to New York, and a little more than half way down there was some traffic, and naturally I had to slow down. So I notice my engine almost making a pinging noise which got worse as I slowed (you know that noise when you slow down and your car is still in high gear)...generally I don't leave my car in gear when braking, but this time I checked and it was in neutral...and as I approached 15mph...14.....13...12...11...10....9mph and somewhere around that the car just shut off...stalled out completely. On the highway!! So now I am stuck in the middle lane with 18 wheelers all around me and I am trying to desperately start my car...this went on for an eternity....but after starting it by revving the engine in neutral I was able to get it moving. The problem subsided as I increased speed. I called up my Acura Service Dealership, who told me to make sure I had adequate gas in the tank...so I pulled over and filled up (premium of course)....I turn the car on after filling up, and once again it shuts off. I waited a bit and finally got it back on and parked elsewhere....opened the hood, and the engine was knocking so violently I thought it was going to fall through the chassis. I get back on the phone with Acura of Westchester as they were going to be in the direction I was going and I set up a appt with a real nice guy there who plugged the computer in to tell me EGR valve might be damaged. He told me my car must have been suffocating because the "exhaust gas release" valve was not properly re-injecting the necessary carbon emission back into the manifold and so forth....so I parked the car at my destination finally and didn't touch it for the entire night. The next morning, I had to drop it off at my dealership back home, who took it in and gave me a loaner.

So the diagnosis seems at this point that the EGR valve is faulty and needs to be replaced. The dealer wants to charge me almost $300 for this, considering the valve itself, labor, and diagnostic charge. My biggest problem with this is that a similar problem arose in the past...where the engine was knocking violently....but was quickly fixed after I put in gas. (Gas was a bit under a 1/2 tank on both situations)...I explained that to Acura Client Service in California (toll free number), and they are currently investigating my case to see if they can take care of me, since the car is only about a few miles out of warranty. In addition to all this...my brakes were worn down pretty bad, and they told me "legally" I could not take the car off their premises because it is a liability on their part in case something happened due to worn down brakes....that being said, I was not going to spend $750 on front rotors and brakes again, so I decided to get in touch with excelerate (from this board), and purchase some rotora x-drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads...those are being installed today...hopefully I get more than the usual 30K miles out of that setup. The dealer also told me I would need a new air filter, tranny fluid, as well as something to do with the a/c and brake lines (fluids).

At this point, I feel they are just adding things on...and who knows whether or not they will service the EGR under warranty. Do you have any opinions on this, or perhaps past experience with Acura Client Service? Today the dealer told me that I should start collecting VIN numbers from my other family members and their acura vehicles to show them we have more than one in the house. I mean, I am not about to contact my cousins/aunts/uncles and collect VIN numbers from them...that is quite embarrassing...and I think Acura should man up, especially when they avoided the problem the first time, telling me to just put gas and not asking me to bring the vehicle in for inspection.
Tell me how many miles since you last did those services, and I'll let you know if you should do it again.
Old 06-27-2008 | 01:49 PM
Instructor

Hey all, thanks for the response.

Well here is the story so far. I guess since I am getting the other services done from the dealership, Acura Client Service decided to waive the charge on replacing the EGR valve for me. So they are taking care of the part, and installation on my behalf...which is very nice of them.

Regarding the air filter, a/c vent - pollen filters, tranny fluid, etc etc....those have never been replaced since day 1 when I got the car. I wasn't aware that these were not being replaced...I thought when I dropped my car off, they were performing the necessary services. Anyhow, the manager helped me out, and told me this all needed to be done...so everything except the air filter I got done.

I have decided that instead of putting in a new air filter I am going to install a AEM CAI, if anyone can point me in the right direction of whether I should have it installed professionally, or do it myself (how to would be great). Previously, I installed a CAI and short ram intake on my previous car, Honda Accord Coupe V6...all that required was removal of the bumper and main hose. I understand this install is a bit more involved?

I appreciate everyone's help, and I am glad I am not stuck paying for some stupid valve.
Old 06-27-2008 | 02:11 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Bounce

Regarding the air filter, a/c vent - pollen filters, tranny fluid, etc etc....those have never been replaced since day 1 when I got the car. I wasn't aware that these were not being replaced...I thought when I dropped my car off, they were performing the necessary services. ......

Bounce, not taking shots at *you* at all, but this is perfect example of why the consumer needs to do two things:

1 - Understand the maint requirements/recommendations for your vehicle;

and

2 - Be very clear, when you drop the car off, what services should/will be performed. Even if you don't know for sure what you need, work it out with the Sevice Writer before you leave the car.

If you drop the car and just say, "Oil Change and Tire Rotation", will you get a new oil filter or not? Will they do the 24-point inspection or not? Will they change the Engine Air Filter or not?

If your car is telling you "B1", do you know what that means? Will the dealer do "B1" or 15,000 mile service? What's the difference?

If you're not sure what is going to be done to the car before you leave it, somebody is not going to be happy later - either you or the dealer. Or both.

and worth exactly what you paid for it.
Old 06-27-2008 | 02:11 PM
Safety Car

DIY BRO easiest thing in the world.