Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ebay Invisible Paint Protection Car Bra

Anyone have one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
Old 07-19-2005, 06:12 AM
04TL/SSM/Quartz/AT/Navi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No -- but I have the 3M Clear Bra and it was one of the best things I've done to protect my TL. While you may be able to buy the stuff on eBay for a song, I'm not sure who is going to install it for you. Mine cost substantially more ($600 for the entire front bumper, top 1/3 of front hood and the backs of the mirrors) and was professionally installed at the time of my TL purchase. My guess is that what you see on eBay is not going to look too good on your TL.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:00 PM
Intermediate

I too would highly recommend the installation of a clear bra if you value the looks and condition of your car. I am surely going to have a kit installed on my car before i get too many rock chips. If you do decide to buy or just want more information, look into a kit with a company that will stand behind their prodect like Rockblocker....That is where my kit is going to come from.

Oh, I almost forgot. There is an article out there where a guy tests the film by shooting it on a s2000 mirror with a pellet gun....very impressive protection!

Jason
Old 07-19-2005, 07:26 PM
Racer

A clear bra is a great investment for protecting your paint. I put one on a week after I bought my car - nbp '05 TL. It's not bulletproof as I do have a small dent from a rock from the freeway but I'm sure the bra prevented other damage. Keep in mind that it is more visible on a dark car than on a light colored car.

I would also highly reccommend having it installed by a professional.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Im sure you get what you pay for, can't go wrong with a quality product. I already have small rock chips here and there. How much do you think it will cost to have it professionally touched up? after i get that done i definately need to get a clear bra, i only wished i found out before i bought the car
Old 07-19-2005, 09:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
Paint Protection Film, commonly known as clearbra is a urethane film anywhere from 8-12 mil thick. The film is manufactured by several companies such as 3M, Stonegard, and Llumar to name a few. A number of folks on the forum have PPF installed on their cars saying it is by far one of the best investments made for front end protection.

I find that hard to believe, the cost I mean, as these products plus install ranges anywhere from $600 and up. This particular product you're referring to is supposedly called Clearshield (made by Bekaert, also makes Solargard window film) according to the info available. These are the PN from the Cleashield site: CSACU04CUTLDX/CSACU04CUTL, however I could not find a cost. As an example, the full pro kit from Rockblocker is about $250 and click here for Xpel prices. What you get from them (should you choose to do so) and whether or not it's legit, I wouldn't know. I guess you pay the money and you take your chances. I highly recommend professional installation.

Here is the link for the 3M Clear Bra Test.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:34 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

NO WAY! $10.00? There is something going on with that auction. The film itself can't be bought for that "un cut". I have a friend who is an authorized distributor for one of the largest mfg's. He agrees that there's something "fishy" about a $10 kit. Another thing you should know is that applying these kits is NOT EASY! It took my guys nearly 3 hours to do my Lexus. I have seen peopel try to do them themselves and so fart not one has been able too. This guy on eBay is probably trying to get potential distributors. I did notive that the $10 no reserve also has attached to it a $15 fee for shipping so it's really more like $25 bucks to send into never-never land. The clear bras are good but they should cost you something like $300 to $400 for the TL.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:59 PM
Suzuka Master

We have dealer installed autobahn, covers a shit load, still need the headlight guards.(will the Autobahn on the rear bumper help it if you plan to be tapping peoples bumpers when backing out, don't ask, mommy wants it). We payed 659 installed.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:33 PM
I slow down for COPS

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Paint Protection Film, commonly known as clearbra is a urethane film anywhere from 8-12 mil thick. The film is manufactured by several companies such as 3M, Stonegard, and Llumar to name a few. A number of folks on the forum have PPF installed on their cars saying it is by far one of the best investments made for front end protection.
The key word here is URETHANE. The product advertised is a VINYL.

Major things:
-no clearcoat, therefore more like likely to stain from oils, etc. then a clearcoated film (3M is the only clearcoated one).
-vinyl will not hold up to the weather and heat as well as urethane will. it is very likely to crack and yellow in a short time.
-vinyl is not UV stabilized (from my understanding) and you may end up with different discoloration on the area covered then the area not covered.

As mentioned above, you get what you pay for. You cannot (or I cannot) get QUALITY material to cover the bumper and mirrors for $10.00. Unless it is a plastic food wrap.

If you want to get a clear bra, contact RoadBlocker or your local installer and get a quality product. By the way, I would not recommend self install as you will waste your money if you do not do it right. And doing it ones for the first time, you will not do it right (or at least not nearly as good as someone who specializes in it) Believe me, I have done 1,000's of vehicles and redone many self installs. I know if first hand.

Good luck in staying rock chip free,

Mark.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:54 AM
Safety Car

Mark, I missed that one about the item being vinyl. Good catch. I qued in on the graphics denoting Clearshield which is a urethane fim. I agree 100% with your assessment regarding the vinyl product. That's kinda messed up when you advertise a certain brand name to increase sales and entice folks to purchase the product.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:25 AM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Mark, I missed that one about the item being vinyl. Good catch. I qued in on the graphics denoting Clearshield which is a urethane fim. I agree 100% with your assessment regarding the vinyl product. That's kinda messed up when you advertise a certain brand name to increase sales and entice folks to purchase the product.
The product is so unknown that it is easy to mislead people. And then they come in to a reputable shop and treat you like you want to rip them off, because they know that the material cost you only few bucks (afterall, they can buy it for $10 on e-bay).

I still love the product and my customers.