Easter Eggs

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2020 | 11:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Easter Eggs

Not to revive an old thread, but to share a few things with new members and kind of new members that perhaps didn't know these hidden features of our wonderful Acura TL's. Enjoy:
  1. The coin holder can be moved. It is held in place by two stubs in the back of it which fit into two notches cut into the center console. Therefore it can also be mounted inside either map pocket of the front doors by the same type of notch cutouts. The little high friction area at the front of the map pockets is also great for holding small amounts of loose change.

2. The visors can be extended inwards (toward the rearview mirror) to block sunlight.

3. For the MT owners, it appears that the computer does RPM matching for upshifts. To test it try this. In second gear wind the car to say, 4000 RPM, engage the clutch, RPMS should drop and stabilize for a second at about 3000 RPMs disengage the clutch and that RPM is perfectly matched to road speed. I noticed this yesterday on mine and it seems to work every time as long as the RPMs are high enough (3500+).

4. When a CD or DVD-A is playing, hit the number of the disc (1-6) to pause the disc playing. Pressing the button again with resume play. If the button is held down the disc will be stopped and start from the beginning upon initiation.

5. The front seat head rests pivot forward and backward as well as move up and down.

6. If you are keeping a tool kit, or something else in the trunk all the time, use the plastic portion (not fabric) of the Velcro and stick it to the bottom of object (start with small amount and build up as it works well), it sticks VERY well to the carpet, and will NOT move!

7. If you give the NAVI the command "Display Current Location", not only will it display the address, town, state, altitude, longitude, and latitude, but it actually reads to you the address, town and state. Note, if you just push the white circle, you get the same screen, but no voice.

8. Push the MAX button on the dash to get maximum brightness of the gauges. Press again to return to the previous settings.

9. If the mirror adjustment switch is to the right, then the passenger mirror will flip down when you put the car in reverse. If the mirror adjustment switch is to the left, then the driver mirror will flip down when you put the car in reverse. If the mirror adjustment switch is in the middle, then nothing happens to the mirrors when you put it in reverse. However, if you drive over 5 MPH in reverse, the mirrors returns to the normal position. When you drop back under 5 MPH the mirror tilts down again.

10. To open all the windows including the moonroof, put the key in the driver’s side lock, turn it clockwise once and then do it again and hold. Or from the key FOB, press unlock once and then press it a second time and hold. To close all of the windows/sunroof, put the key in the driver’s side lock and turn counterclockwise once, and then a second time and hold. The windows/moonroof cannot be closed from the key FOB.

11. There is a "cut" on the upper tray's rear corner of the center console. This will allow you to run the charging cable from the power outlet and keep you cell phone on the upper tray as oppose to the lower bin. There is no slot to run the cable all the way out and keep the console cover closed But, I have also found that I can run my cable out of the upper tray by just laying it on the driver's side of the latches. I can get the upper tray to close and latch with the cable sticking out. Not sure if this was intended, but it works for me. I do agree that there is no real place for the cable to run out of the upper tray.

12. There is a recess on the right hand side on the interior of the trunk lid so you can close the trunk without soiling your hands.

13. If you are on a certain screen on the NAV...For example--"Setup" and you press the AUDIO button, you will get the AUDIO stuff. However, by pressing AUDIO again, you return to the previous screen.

14. In the cold the heater doesn't start blowing air until the air warms up. This is when the system is set to Auto and There is a temp displayed (not HI).

15. Cargo Net Tip:
    I have the trunk tray and have not wanted to pierce said liner yet... So for now, I am using the larger net assy only. Inside the trunk, there are to 2 mounting knobs on the upper trunk area and 1 on each side of the car that are aligned with the top ones. I installed it in such a manner, that it looks like it splits the forward and back areas of the trunk--hanging in the air like a hammock.

16. The trunk lock button in the glove compartment that will deactivate the interior trunk release button, but will allow the trunk to be opened via key FOB

17. If the moonroof is opened all the way and you want to switch to just the tilt feature, press the tilt button once. The moonroof will close and then tilt up. There is no need to close it all the way and then press the tilt-up button. Essentially the process saves you one step.

18. When wipers are on intermittent, and you stop the car, the speed of the wipers goes down to the lowest setting for intermittent. When you speed up to 10 mph, the setting resets. You will notice this when the intermittent speed is on the highest setting and then pauses when you are stopped.

19. On the NAVI you can choose to "show routes" and it will go through all five methods and display them in different colors. Often, it comes down to 1 or two distinct routes, as the different options don't always produce different answers. Note: whichever choice you make will be your default routing for all later routes until you change this.

20. The center arm rest slides forward and backward for your comfort. The only down side when slid forward is you lose the second cup holder and you will have a harder time opening the compartments.

21. When you get out of your car with the headlights on (not AUTO), hit the lock button on the fob twice and first the car will lock then the lights will go out. Whenever you unlock the vehicle, the headlights will turn on.

22. Press the SCAN button momentarily while a CD is playing and it will play the first 10 sec. of each track. If you press and hold the SCAN button for 10 sec., the player will play the first 10 sec of the first track on each CD.

23. To load multiple CDs at the same time, press and hold the LOAD button, it will beep then the green light comes on allowing you to insert all 6 disks, one after the other. For ejecting the discs, press the EJECT button and hold until you hear the beep and all disks will eject, one after the other. This works without the key in as well.

24. For Bluetooth, if you are on a call, and arrive at your destination, you can shut the car off and continue the conversation in the car. As soon as you are done, just hit the end button on the wheel, and get out. I believe all the voice functions will still work with the car off assuming you are already on the phone, so you could probably transfer it if you wanted.

25. DVD-A disc's may contain sub groups or hidden groups. To change groups you need to push and hold Scan and RPT on your TL's audio Head system.

26. Press and hold RPT while a disc is playing and it will repeat the entire disc.

27. When in Sport Shift mode, you can do a 2nd gear start.

Say you're in Sport Shift (out of habit maybe) and in the Mall Parking Lot. At a full stop, click into 2nd gear. The car will NOT automatically downshift to 1st gear the next time you stop. It will stay in 2nd until you use the SS to either up or down shift. Better than running around the parking lot in 1st and 3000 rpm. Also nice around the neighborhood, dropping the kids at school, etc.

28. When viewing large lists of items on the NAV screen, you can use the Zoom-Out button to page-down the list and the Zoom-In button to page-up the list.

29. On some telephones, pressing the SPEAKER button on the phone will transfer the call to the car's Bluetooth connection. Press SPEAKER again, the call transfers back to the phone. Useful when you dial a contact from the phone, but want to use the hands-free. Using the phone, just dial the number, wait until it starts ringing, then press SPEAKER and the call will transfer.

30. When displaying your map screen, press the compass icon at the top left of the screen. The map reverts to a north-oriented display. Press it again and it toggles back to the default display setting.
Old 02-11-2020 | 08:40 PM
Suzuka Master

I remember seen this thread when the car was new lol, dam time does fly by.
Old 02-12-2020 | 12:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

I didn't know about the rev matching...….care to elaborate a bit more?
Old 02-12-2020 | 12:41 PM
5th Gear

As a new owner of a 3G TL, this thread (when posted many years ago) helped me figure out all kinds of cool things with our cars. The sliding armrest has to be one of my favorite and most used features, especially after changing out the old padding for some new high density foam
Old 02-12-2020 | 01:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MyGuti

I tried the rev-matching upshift during lunch after reading this and couldn't seem to get it either.

Also #11, I've read it 10 times and am still confused if it's referring to the upper tray under the armrest..... or the 2 storage bins forward of the shifter, since they both have a power outlet.
Because I def do have a cutout in the front of the upper tray under the armrest, allowing me to charge my phone sitting on top of the cup holders, plugged into the armrest outlet.
Old 02-13-2020 | 06:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MyGuti
Originally Posted by twokexlv6coupe
I tried the rev-matching upshift during lunch after reading this and couldn't seem to get it either.

Also #11, I've read it 10 times and am still confused if it's referring to the upper tray under the armrest..... or the 2 storage bins forward of the shifter, since they both have a power outlet.
Because I def do have a cutout in the front of the upper tray under the armrest, allowing me to charge my phone sitting on top of the cup holders, plugged into the armrest outlet.

The upshift rev match they talking about is a rev hang, if you shift from 2nd to 3rd the rev would hang around 3k rpm for a second or two before drop back down. you must be around 4k rpm to see this happening.
Old 02-20-2020 | 12:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by twokexlv6coupe

It's referring to the tray under that arm rest.
Old 02-23-2020 | 11:54 AM
8th Gear

First time TL Type S owner as of yesterday, so thanks for this!
Old 02-23-2020 | 08:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Not to revive an old thread, but to share a few things with new members and kind of new members that perhaps didn't know these hidden features of our wonderful Acura TL's. Enjoy:

10. To open all the windows including the moonroof, put the key in the driver’s side lock, turn it clockwise once and then do it again and hold. Or from the key FOB, press unlock once and then press it a second time and hold. To close all of the windows/sunroof, put the key in the driver’s side lock and turn counterclockwise once, and then a second time and hold. The windows/moonroof cannot be closed from the key FOB.
This is pure magic. My respect for this fine machine grows.
Old 03-11-2020 | 12:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Catzilla
This is pure magic. My respect for this fine machine grows.
If you scroll to the bottom of this link:

http://www.kptechnologies.com/produc...Acura&model=TL

you will find the window roll-up module. This allows you to roll up all your windows and shut your sunroof using your FOB.