Sponsored by:

East Coast rain/car cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 11:11 PM
EnJ
Anti-Acura TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
East Coast rain/car cover

Is it me or is anyone else from the north east sick and tired of it. I'll wash my NBP and either that day or with in 2 days later it'll rain! I just washed and waxed with Meguire's yesterday and now it's pooring like a bitch outside. I just came back from the Persian Gulf and my car was always sandy, now it's always dirty with rain spots! Anyone invest in a good car cover? I was thinking of getting something cheaper than the one they sell at the dealership. I know a few sites that are selling car covers, just wondering if anyone has any positive feedback on an individual car cover...including the Acura one.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:10 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No..it's not you! I had a '02 TL-S in NBP, and it drove me crazy trying to keep the car looking clean. I bought a California Car Cover, and while it was OK for keeping dust from the finish after washing or waxing, it did nothing to keep the car clean longer than a few days after driving it around. When I purchased my '04 TL, I picked Anthracite because it's easier to keep clean. I also purchased another California Car Cover for the '04 TL, and I use it mainly to store the car in the garage after I detail it.....those covers are awesome...but expensive. The main problem with car covers is using them on a finish that has any dirt or dust...you can do more damage than good since the cover just rubs the dust and makes swirl marks...especially on NBP....so be carefull if you do try one. I like using my cover...but only after detailing the car and not driving it....they work great keeping that "just waxed" look.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:35 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EnJ -

This just happened to me yesterday (I'm in Maryland). I washed my car, and within 2 hours, it was a Brazilian rain forest outside...pouring rain. I thought about getting a car cover, but, as JetJock said, I didn't want to risk having the car cover do more damage by possibly grinding any dirt or dust into my NBP. I would rather just put up with the water spots and continue to wash. I mean, no matter what steps you take (other than placing your car in a waterproof, dustless, dirtless bubble), you're going to get it dirty. It's frustrating, but it's the price we pay for having the NBP.

If you still want to get a car cover, make sure you PAY for a good one. I bought one that was "water resistant", which, from my observations, meant that it soaked up water like a sponge. A good water proof cover is going to cost good money. I haven't personally seen the one from the dealer, but I know that the price they charge for it puts it in the same price range as some of the better car covers I've seen.

What someone needs to invent is a quick-setup car tent, instead of a cover. It would be as easy to set up and take down as a camping tent, and it would be not have to touch your car at all. Yeah...

Matt
Old 08-05-2004, 07:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
car cover

I am in the same boat, I am thinking about getting the acura car cover, I have dealt with the parts dept and they are willing to give it to me for 175 + tax. Although that is a bit high for a car cover, I know I won't get it any cheaper than that, and I also want a good car cover.

I do not have a garage, and I would like to retain that just waxed look for as long as possible. I hope I won't be doing damage to my tl, I'll try to be really careful when using it.

I wonder how the car cover works in the snow? should I use it or not? any ideas?

THanks
Old 08-05-2004, 08:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in Maryland also, I washed and waxed mine and just like you said there comes the rain.