Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DVD Audio - List your favorites

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 10:21 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up DVD Audio - List your favorites

I just purchased a few DVD audio discs and wanted to start a thread where we can share reviews and comments about various titles and how they sound in the TL audio system.

1. Blue Man Group - Audio
This is a really cool DVD. The sound is nothing short of amazing and it really shows off surround sound. Very distinct audio from all channels, and very groovy music.

2. Queen - The Game
This album is a classic and has some great tracks. The audio quality is very good.

3. Metallica
Wow. I compared this disc to the CD audio disc and there's a significant difference. The audio is much more rich and full, but the biggest difference I noticed was the bottom end. (Bass is really deep and full.) Of course, if you're into this kind of music, this album is now a classic.

I also own some DTS audio CD's. I haven't yet tryed to play them in the TL, but as soon as I do, I'll post results.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:41 PM
Burning Brakes

i agree with blue man group - audio and will add Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture DVD-A. This song is very sophistically recorded and the producers went to absurb lengths to get it right (traveling to europe to use new philips direct stream recording devices, firing real canons, etc.) Basically it's the best single recording ever.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:46 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RJC RSX
i agree with blue man group - audio and will add Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture DVD-A. This song is very sophistically recorded and the producers went to absurb lengths to get it right (traveling to europe to use new philips direct stream recording devices, firing real canons, etc.) Basically it's the best single recording ever.
I just ordered the 1812 Overture along w/ Beethoven's 9th and the Missy Elliott album. Glad to hear you liked it. I'm trying to begin building a collection for when I finally get my TL...
Old 12-16-2003, 10:49 PM
Burning Brakes

that's how it is, my dad had bought over a dozen titles before we took delivery. Panasonic & co. sure made out well on this
Old 12-16-2003, 11:55 PM
Advanced

If you're a YES fan, get the Magnification album in DVD-A!! It sounds awesome in the new TL. It was the one album I took with me during the test drive. Seperation was stunning between vocals and strings.. It almost made me buy the car on the spot!
Old 12-17-2003, 12:14 AM
SSH
Advanced

Originally posted by princed
I just ordered the 1812 Overture along w/ Beethoven's 9th and the Missy Elliott album. Glad to hear you liked it. I'm trying to begin building a collection for when I finally get my TL...
I have Beethoven's 9th (Barenboim) and for some reason the DVD/CD player does not accept it and spits it back out

Anyone else have this problem with the Barenboim series of DVD-A's?
Old 12-17-2003, 12:29 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't gotten the DVD-A of it yet, but the self-titled CD for a pretty unknown group, TOy Matinee, was just spectacular. I read a really good review of the DVD-A in Sound & Vision magazine. They do a section of SACD and DVD-A reviews every month.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by SSH
I have Beethoven's 9th (Barenboim) and for some reason the DVD/CD player does not accept it and spits it back out

Anyone else have this problem with the Barenboim series of DVD-A's?
Does it do it on your home DVD? Did you filp it over then try cleaning the disc? Try fooling with the menus instead of hitting play initially. I had the same sort of thing happen with a Dvorak Symphony #9 dvd-a. It wouldn't play on my home unit until I figured out how to negotiate the menus (this is after I took it back, exchanged it and the same thing happened with the replacement disc). I thought I'd have the same problems with the TL but it works fine. I'd just return it and replace it with another artist as it seems disc specific.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:12 AM
Advanced

Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" (DTS)
Santana "Abraxas" (DTS)
Fleetwood Mac "Rumors"

RB
Old 12-17-2003, 08:25 AM
Advanced

Just have to add my 2 cents about the 1812 Overture thing.

I used to work in a very high end audio store, and we not only hated to see someone walk in with that CD, but we didn't allow it to be played. In terms of "testing" an audio system and using the cannon shots as a test, it's ridiculous. Good audio equipment behaves differently than typical japanese gear. When something like a cannon shot is played (and some of those recordings were very agressive), a good amplifier will basically respond very well, where a cheaper amp will clip. The end effect is that on a cheap system it's kinda loud and sounds OK. On a high end system, it just pours massive power into the speakers and bottoms them out, sometimes blowing them.

So my point here is not that the music is bad, or that it's a bad recording. It's just that it's dangerous to your system if you don't use some common sense and caution. And the cannon shots are a stupid thing to test or judge a system with.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:27 AM
Cruisin'

I'll 2nd Fleetwood Mac "Rumours;" one of the best albums of all time and it sounds spectacular in hi-res!! The Eagles "Hotel California" is also a good choice, those are probably the two best that I own...

Jim
Old 12-17-2003, 09:33 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by jim.arrows
I'll 2nd Fleetwood Mac "Rumours;" one of the best albums of all time and it sounds spectacular in hi-res!! The Eagles "Hotel California" is also a good choice, those are probably the two best that I own...

Jim
I also have the Eagles "Hotel California" DVD ordered. What's sad is that I have replaced a lot of music several times. IE: From 33 1/3 albums to Cassett, to CD to DVD-A, and even have some on DVD-V.

RB
Old 12-17-2003, 09:37 AM
Banned

Re: DVD Audio - List your favorites

Originally posted by nickademus

I also own some DTS audio CD's. I haven't yet tryed to play them in the TL, but as soon as I do, I'll post results.
Yes, please do as I'm curious how they sound as well compared to DVD-A. Also, what price did you pay for the DVD-A's vs the DTS CD's?
Old 12-17-2003, 09:38 AM
Advanced

I have the Eagles, Bachman Turner Overdrive and The Corrs. Geez, I wish I could see those sisters on the Nav screen while they are singing. They are simply beautiful.
Not too many choices in DVD-A but there are more DTS recordings. I think I'll try that Blue Man disc. From what some of you are saying, its a good one. I might break down and get some of the DTS discs, but I'm holding out for pure DVD-A. Luther Vandros has recorded "Dance With My Father" on DVD-A. I have it on CD, already.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:44 AM
Instructor

Pink Floyd? Or that is SACD only?
Old 12-17-2003, 10:01 AM
Pro

I'm waiting for some BEST OF DVD-As... I mean since most of this is library music and not new stuff, it REALLY would make sense to have some BEST OFs on there instead of just regular albums.

There are hardly ANY yet,.

And it seems Sony ONLY makes SACDs!

Mike
Old 12-17-2003, 10:05 AM
Instructor

When I got the car I went out and bought a few DVD-A. I also have the ability to play them in my house. My favorite by far is Queen "A Night at the Opera" This just sounds fantastic. I also have Queen "The Game", REM "Greatest Hits 98-02", Eagles "Hotel California", Doors "LA Women" Chicago "Chicago"
Old 12-17-2003, 11:51 AM
Intermediate

three so far:

Natalie Merchant - Tiger Lily
Emmylou Harris - Producer's Cut
Neil Young - Harvest

They all sound fabulous, but Harvest is extraordinary!
Old 12-17-2003, 12:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I've got a few; some I bought just because they were on DVD-A but have not been displeased. Here they are from memory (might have missed one or two) -

Doobie Brothers - The Captain and Me
Foreigner - Foreigner
Foreigner - 4
R.E.M. - Document
R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
R.E.M. - Reveal
Santana - Supernatural
Santana - Shaman
Foo Fighters - One by One
Alanis Morrisette - Under Rug Swept
Dishwalla - Opaline
Glen Phillips - Abulum
Yes - Fragile
Tom Cochrane & Red Rider - Trapeze
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Eagles - Hotel California

Blue Man Group is on its way.

The REM and Eagles discs have pretty subtle
surround mixes. I've heard (but haven't bought
yet) the DTS version of Queen's The Game, that
had some very cool surround effects on Another
One Bites the Dust. It's on my To Buy list.

Best prices I've found are generally at www.deepdiscountdvd.com, and they offer
free shipping.

Mike
Old 12-17-2003, 01:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by nickademus
So my point here is not that the music is bad, or that it's a bad recording. It's just that it's dangerous to your system if you don't use some common sense and caution. And the cannon shots are a stupid thing to test or judge a system with.
there's actually a warning about the cannon shots on the cover
Old 12-17-2003, 04:08 PM
Instructor

Blue Man Group - Complex Rock Tour Live 2003
BLUE MAN GROUP (AUDIO) 2000

are both of these in DVD surround sound format or only the audio version.

Which one do you like better?
Old 12-17-2003, 06:20 PM
Intermediate

Marvin Gaye - "Forever Yours"
Grover Washington Jr - "Winelight"
Eric Clapton & B.B. King - "Riding With The King"
Old 12-17-2003, 07:20 PM
Instructor

Buena Vista Social Club (get the video too!)

Beach Boys "Pet Sounds"....not a lot of 5.1 effect, but a nice album

2nd (3rd?) the Santana and Fleetwood Mac
Old 12-18-2003, 09:54 PM
Cruisin'

Try The Mavericks' "Trampoline" in DTS. Spectacular use of the center channel on the the tune, "Dolores". You'll swear someone is sitting on your dashboard.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:10 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Erikmoeser

Pet Sounds - I'm a big fan and have the stereo CD mix, bix set, etc. Is the DVD version of this enough different or better to warrant the purchase of another copy of PS?

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:35 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
If you are a fan then you should get Pet Sounds. Otherwise it is not the best 5.1 mix. I believe Brian Wilson had a hand in the 5.1 mix and is not the best qualified for that.

I think Deep Purple's Machine Head was very high quality for a heavier sound.

Everyone should get Chicago II. It is just a fantastic 5.1 mix.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:53 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Is there a difference between concerts on DVD (Such as the Eagels Hell Freezes Over DTS disc) and DVD-Audio? I'm really confused; can you play those DVDs (non DVD-Audio) in the TL?
Old 12-19-2003, 05:03 PM
Advanced

NO. DVD-audio is a specific format. DVD video can have DTS sound, but they will not play on the TL system.

http://www.digitalaudioguide.com/faq.../faq_intro.htm
Old 12-19-2003, 11:27 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Lore
Is there a difference between concerts on DVD (Such as the Eagels Hell Freezes Over DTS disc) and DVD-Audio? I'm really confused; can you play those DVDs (non DVD-Audio) in the TL?
DVD-A , CD's and DTS will play in the Acura. SACD and DVD-V will not. If it's a video that uses DTS in it, it won't play- this is DVD-V. The DTS that will play is DTS Audio.

The DTS and DVD-A that plays in the Acura will be in a different section of your favorite music store. The jewell cases are larger than CD's. DVD-V will be in the video portion of the the store in the music section. DVD-V is great for home 5.1 surround systems. The TL does not play videos.
Old 12-19-2003, 11:31 PM
Racer

Originally posted by MikeRadio
I'm waiting for some BEST OF DVD-As... I mean since most of this is library music and not new stuff, it REALLY would make sense to have some BEST OFs on there instead of just regular albums.

There are hardly ANY yet,.

And it seems Sony ONLY makes SACDs!

Mike
SACD is Sony. Just like betamax was only Sony.

R.E.M. has a greatest hits album and Hotel California is a greatest hits- one of the best CD's ever made; not one poor track. The Police DVD-A available is another greatest hits product- I think it was their first album.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
I just bought my first DVD-A yesterday, Steely Dan's Everything Must Go. I'd already purchased it from the iTunes Music Store but had to have a DVD-A copy. I wasn't disappointed. Planning on finding the The Police.

I mentioned in another thread that that having this car has caused me to seriously upgrade my home audio equipment....Onix Rockets, Yamaha RX-V1400, and I'm now waiting for my JVC XV-SA602SL DVD/DVD-A player, which got decent reviews in The Absolute Sound and is now only $99!! Can't have music sounding better in the car than in the house now...
Old 12-20-2003, 11:08 AM
Intermediate

Absolutely have to get Steely Dan's Everything Must Go. It was produced and mixed by the same guy who designed the TL's sound system. Sounds spectacular.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Eiffel
If you are a fan then you should get Pet Sounds. Otherwise it is not the best 5.1 mix. I believe Brian Wilson had a hand in the 5.1 mix and is not the best qualified for that.

I think Deep Purple's Machine Head was very high quality for a heavier sound.

Everyone should get Chicago II. It is just a fantastic 5.1 mix.
Chicago 1 is very cool, II is probably great too.
Yes - Fragile (I'm a Yes freak)
Eagles - Hotel California
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Marvin Gaye - Greatest Hits
Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead
Carly Simon - No Secrets
Steely Dan - Gaucho (DTS, but sounds awesome)

want..
Deep Purple - Machine Head
Yes - Magnification (I'm a Yes freak)
Yes - American Beauty
Old 12-21-2003, 07:28 PM
Racer

Steely Dan's "Gaucho" DVD-A sounds AWESOME in the TL. It was remixed for DTS by Elliott Scheiner, the same engineer that consulted on the TL sound system.

Check out "Babylon Sisters", track #3. Fagen in the front, and the girl's chorus in the rear - fab-u-lous!