Driving without grille

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Driving without grille

Hey All,
I need assistance.

Can our TL be driven with the grille off? Any danger in somebody opening the hood?

Background:
I found someone to overlay my front grille. This person did my roof overlay. so I am comfortable with his overlaying skill. (same as in this thread - https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?tt2972 ). And now I need to remove the bumper. I am a total newb when it comes to mechanical things, and I've read several threads which state it should take about an hour to remove it. I am worried that I've never done this before and can screw it up. I have a few options, and I need a suggestion from my fellow A-Ziners

Option 1:
Remove front bumper in the evening - take the grille to the guy to overlay it next day. Then come back, replace grille and put bumper back on. In the process of the car being grille-less, store it in my parents garage (my dad hates it when I use his garage). During this time I may forget how to put bumper back on
Option 2:
Remove front bumper in evening, remove the grille and put the bumper back on. Next day, take grille to guy to overlay then come back to the car and remove bumper again and replace the grille. Probably best option, but I am hesitant to remove the bumper anymore than I have to. Also, this is where my first question comes in, is it wise to leave the car on a street without the grille?
Option 3:
Take my car to the guy, remove bumper and grille, let him overlay grille and then put the bumper back on. It will take about an hour and a half to remove bumper, than it will take him 1-2 hrs to overlay (according to him) and then 1.5 hrs to put bumper back on. Due to the fact that he'll be overlaying it in evening - this may be too lengthy of an option.

Option 4:
Please make a suggestion of your own to me

Thanks all,
I really appreciate it.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude, it should only take 15 minutes tops to remove the bumper. Also did you ever think about just buying a spare grill? You could get that overlayed and then install it when you can. Shouldn't cost more than $80 for the spare grill.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Only time the lack of a grill would be an issue is if a crow flew into the hole etc.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
The grill is easy to remove and put on, even for one person. 15mins to remove and another 15 to put it back on. It's just a matter of a few bolts and push clips. When you take the bumper off, make sure you have something soft to lay it on, such as an old blanket. Don't wanna scratch it.

I'd go with option #3.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Cruisin'

anyone know the part # for the grill? I am in a similar situation where i want to work on my grill but need to drive my car daily
Old 09-18-2009, 08:19 AM
Middle Finger anyone?

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I just sent mine off to get chromed. So I will be w/out a grille for about 6 weeks. Other than the car looks kinda silly there are no problems driving sans grille.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:26 AM
Middle Finger anyone?

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...s=&view=normal

For a Base TL I assume. If not just go back and select your car from the drop down boxes. Type S grilles are different.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:37 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by spc425
Dude, it should only take 15 minutes tops to remove the bumper.
The bumper is a breeze to remove. Watch SanDiegoDrive's video and print the manual scans. The first time might take a little longer (20 minutes or so) since you're looking for all of the screws and bolts, but after that, no more than 15.

Driving without the grille isn't an issue, either. Heck, Inaccurate drives around without one all the time.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Instructor

Why are you removing the bumper?

You can remove the grill without taking it off
Old 09-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Middle Finger anyone?

Originally Posted by mrlobaloba
Why are you removing the bumper?

You can remove the grill without taking it off
Please share how.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Option 4: Buy the overlay and do it yourself.. don't aggravate your father.. front bumper is easy. You're in Brooklyn.. there's tons of members out there that can help you as well.

btw.. your thread link is invalid.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Instructor

This is how I put my chrome grill on. This was from another post courtesy of member "aceofharps"

The kit consists of 3 basic parts.
The hood molding attaches with 4 or 5 nuts which are easily accessed from under the hood. I did have trouble removing my old molding as the studs in the molding twisted out of their anchor when I attempted to loosed the nuts. I had to yank the molding off the hood, ripping the studs out of the molding.
The lower outer molding simply snaps into the bumper cover. A careful yank is required.
The center piece is accessed by removing the front bulkhead (under-hood) cover. Once that cover is removed, it is possible to get your hand with rachet wrench, behind the grill and remove the attachment screws. You will need to transfer the emblem from the old piece to the new.

Last edited by mrlobaloba; 09-18-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Instructor

The center piece is by far the hardest to remove. If you loosen up the top of the bumper you can get your hand and a ratchet behind the grill to undo the 6 bolts holding it on there.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
UPDATE

Well I and the car survived.

With the help of my cousin and my girlfriend we removed the bumper, carefully following the DIY video in my garage, took us about 30 mins, and another 25 mins to put it back. I didnt realize that the grill and the bumper is one piece - and thought that it would create a large gap. All the chrome pieces are off, I'm bringing them today to be overlayed and then we'll remove the bumper and put them on again. My cousin had to leave early, so I removed the back plate (which holds the license plate) myself. Almost went without a hitch except for one moment, when I tried to pull of the license plate bracket without removing the license plate.
Nothing like the feeling of modding your car - I got so excited that we could do it, that I'm planning on putting HID's into my fog lights as the next project.

Thanks A-ziners for all your advise

Last edited by ZhenyaF; 09-18-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Originally Posted by ZhenyaF
UPDATE

Well I and the car survived.

With the help of my cousin and my girlfriend we removed the bumper, carefully following the DIY video in my garage, took us about 30 mins, and another 25 mins to put it back. I didnt realize that the grill and the bumper is one piece - and thought that it would create a large gap. All the chrome pieces are off, I'm bringing them today to be overlayed and then we'll remove the bumper and put them on again. My cousin had to leave early, so I removed the back plate (which holds the license plate) myself. Almost went without a hitch except for one moment, when I tried to pull of the license plate bracket without removing the license plate.
Nothing like the feeling of modding your car - I got so excited that we could do it, that I'm planning on putting HID's into my fog lights as the next project.

Thanks A-ziners for all your advise