Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 09:43 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving in the snow?

Hey yall. I'm thinkin of buyin a TL next year and I just need to know.. i've seen so many people say "well i live in a warm area and it doesn't snow much so i guess these tires aint much of a problem" etc etc etc. What about the people who DO live in snowy areas?? I'm from NYC, and colleging in Boston. Both places aren't TOO crazy with snow but ofcourse we always get snow annually. Would the 18" rims n tires really be dangerous/tractionless in these kinda situations? What are the best set of tires for my kinda area?

ALSO~!

Anyone have/ have pics of a NBP with chrome rims? I've seen a couple of anthracites with 'em online but no NBP as of yet. Maybe this combo isn't too great in real life? Seems great in my head right now hehe.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-01-2004, 09:53 AM
Advanced

If the tires are high-performance (i.e. summer), they are WORTHLESS in the snow. Last year I saw a brand new Audi A4 Quattro impaled on a tree stump at a curve in a (low speed) residential area with its HP tires showing. A lesson enough for anyone. Get winter tires mounted on take-off rims! Cost is less than one accident/insurance surcharge.

BTW, I once made a K-turn on the side of a hill in a snowstorm in a BMW wearing winter rubber w/o problem (and I was on the phone, but don't tell anyone). No white knuckles, no anxiety.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:05 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
4 snows are the best in winter, even all seasons can not compare.

Summers are just that, summer and do not provide any traction in snow.

I run winters on all 4, works like a charm.

All Seasons are a copromise in all driving conditions (you get nothing for free).

Hold onto your 17" wheels for snows is my recomendation.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:08 AM
SOLD

Originally Posted by TL05
Hey yall. I'm thinkin of buyin a TL next year and I just need to know.. i've seen so many people say "well i live in a warm area and it doesn't snow much so i guess these tires aint much of a problem" etc etc etc. What about the people who DO live in snowy areas?? I'm from NYC, and colleging in Boston. Both places aren't TOO crazy with snow but ofcourse we always get snow annually. Would the 18" rims n tires really be dangerous/tractionless in these kinda situations? What are the best set of tires for my kinda area?

ALSO~!

Anyone have/ have pics of a NBP with chrome rims? I've seen a couple of anthracites with 'em online but no NBP as of yet. Maybe this combo isn't too great in real life? Seems great in my head right now hehe.

Thanks in advance!
TL is fine in snow, as long as you get rid of the EL42 tires! They still handle fine in the snow and wet, but are SH*T when compared to other all seasons in handling/traction and flatspotting. I have heard the Falken 512 Ziex are good and so are Mich Pilots. As far as chrome rims, I have NBP and was thinking about getting 18" Chromes but am going to wait. Here is why....

Have you ever seen chrome rims on a Mercedes or BMW? Keep in mind before the TL, I had a C-class Benz with 18" chromes. Chrome looks good on Benz's because they are luxurious looking and have the chrome door handles and body and bumper lining. Chromes don't really look good on BMW as they are more sporty looking, chrome blades at least. Since the TL is styled sportily, I am worried chrome might not look very good on this car either. It's all about individual taste though. I think chrome that would look good that I would get is 18" deep-dish type rims that are solid chrome all the way on the wheel. I'm not sure if I desribed that correctly, just imagine a big chrome dinner plate for the wheels. Hopefully I have helped you out a little bit!
Old 07-01-2004, 02:11 PM
Racer

Based on what I have heard about the EL42's in the snow, I would have to say that the TL is not safe in the snow with those tires. That being said, my Pilot Sport A/S were very good in the snow.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:18 PM
Safety Car

i drive my TL in the snow and it handles fine. i have the crappy el42's on the car. i don't doubt that the car would do better with snow tires in the snow but all seasons will be pretty decent for a fwd car. there was about 6 inches of snow when i drove in the snow. was cruising along find, no slipping or sliding at all. this is one of the reasons i got the TL. i would have probably gotten a rwd if it did not snow here.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:55 PM
Racer

I was having horrible problems with snow and wet traction when I had the original crappy EL42s. Swapped them out for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and saw a marked imprivement. It was like night and day.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:41 PM
Red line...use it

Originally Posted by DavePA
If the tires are high-performance (i.e. summer), they are WORTHLESS in the snow. Last year I saw a brand new Audi A4 Quattro impaled on a tree stump at a curve in a (low speed) residential area with its HP tires showing. A lesson enough for anyone. Get winter tires mounted on take-off rims! Cost is less than one accident/insurance surcharge.

BTW, I once made a K-turn on the side of a hill in a snowstorm in a BMW wearing winter rubber w/o problem (and I was on the phone, but don't tell anyone). No white knuckles, no anxiety.

I wanted to do the same thing, but I can not find replacement wheels. I do not want to pay $200 / wheel and put nice mags on the winter. I was looking for cheaper ones. Do you know of any?? Actually 16" may be better in the winter because they would handle the spring pot holes much better without bending. I was told 16" would fit but not sure where we buy them.