Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving with parking brake on... :-/

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 12:45 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving with parking brake on... :-/

So I parked at an incline today and decided to pull the parking brake "Just in case" even though it's an auto...

Well, when I left I didn't even think to release it, but fortunately the car told me to release it after about 10ft.

So I drove the car for about 10ft with the parking brake engaged quite tight..

Should I look for damage somewhere? I'm a little worried.

Someone... Please help the worry go away!

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:08 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I dont think you caused any damage except for maybe overheating the rotors and causing extra exertion to the engine....

I have used the hand brake a couple of times partially when I see a cop on the HWY and dont want to get the stoplight on...(I know, not the best idea but...)
Old 09-13-2005, 01:08 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

should be fine. might of worn them a little, but its not that bad.

actaully, i have an auto and i pull the brake everywhere, just so theres less wear on the transmission.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:52 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Did you feel the rear tire dragging? If you didn't, then you're fine. Otherwise, look for a flat spot on the rear left tire, because a flat spot will drive you insane.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:14 PM
Intermediate

you should be fine... I too along with guest drivers have done this probably about 5 times in my car and i havent noticed anything wrong still...

i also used to do the braking with the parking brakes to fool the cops trick too, but that was back in my civic...opted against it in the TL
Old 09-13-2005, 06:43 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by zeezz

actaully, i have an auto and i pull the brake everywhere, just so theres less wear on the transmission.
same here...
Old 09-13-2005, 10:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Did you feel the rear tire dragging? If you didn't, then you're fine. Otherwise, look for a flat spot on the rear left tire, because a flat spot will drive you insane.
you mean both rear tires since the parking brake is hooked up to both of them
Old 09-13-2005, 10:29 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure it's ruined. God you guys are a bunch of whiny biatches sometimes. 10 feet is gonna overheat the rotors and stress the engine?... sheesh
Old 09-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by MichiganRich
I'm sure it's ruined. God you guys are a bunch of whiny biatches sometimes. 10 feet is gonna overheat the rotors and stress the engine?... sheesh
It was a reasonable question, and he got reasonable answers.

Until just now.

Not everybody knows everything about cars, and the purpose of this forum is to help, not deride, when someone asks a reasonable question.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zeezz

Good point.

Driving ten feet with the emergency brake engaged likely did nothing.

However, each time you don't use your brake and allow the weight of the car to rest on your tranny you are putting unnecessary wear on your tranny. If you're concerned about $$, just do the math. I'd much rather pay for brakes than a trashed tranny!

Besides, your owner's manual likely advises that you pull the brake on before setting the tranny in park. There's a reason for this. If you don't believe me, try a test. The next time you park facing up an incline, place your tranny in park without engaging the emergency brake. Then take your foot off the brake. The car will roll back slightly as it rests "against the tranny". It may even make a slight clunk or popping sound. Then put your foot back on the brake and engage the tranny back into gear. If you don't like how it sounds or feels when you do this, consider that every time you park without the parking brake you're doing the same thing to a lesser degree. The effects are cumulative. Use the parking brake and stop abusing your tranny!
Old 09-14-2005, 01:59 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 6MTPlease
Good point.

Driving ten feet with the emergency brake engaged likely did nothing.

However, each time you don't use your brake and allow the weight of the car to rest on your tranny you are putting unnecessary wear on your tranny. If you're concerned about $$, just do the math. I'd much rather pay for brakes than a trashed tranny!

Besides, your owner's manual likely advises that you pull the brake on before setting the tranny in park. There's a reason for this. If you don't believe me, try a test. The next time you park facing up an incline, place your tranny in park without engaging the emergency brake. Then take your foot off the brake. The car will roll back slightly as it rests "against the tranny". It may even make a slight clunk or popping sound. Then put your foot back on the brake and engage the tranny back into gear. If you don't like how it sounds or feels when you do this, consider that every time you park without the parking brake you're doing the same thing to a lesser degree. The effects are cumulative. Use the parking brake and stop abusing your tranny!
couldn't describe it any better. good job
Old 09-14-2005, 12:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ron A
It was a reasonable question, and he got reasonable answers.

Until just now.

Not everybody knows everything about cars, and the purpose of this forum is to help, not deride, when someone asks a reasonable question.

THANK YOU
Old 09-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I got to agree 10 ft... come on ... A fact of life is that everything will wear out. The car is in one continuous wear mode the instant you drive it off the lot. Even sitting around collecting dust is not good for the car.

That said, you cannot do anything about the fact after it has happened. Check the brakes when you notice any changes in braking or at certain mileage intervals. Some people get great brake wear some horrible. My last acura had 83,000 on it when I got rid of it and it still had the original brakes.