Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driver window rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 04:01 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driver window rattle

I have a rattle from the drier side of the window. It only happens if I fully close the window. If i open the window a bit (technically closed) I do not hear the rattle.
Does anyone have the solution for this problem?
Old 09-12-2004, 07:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by endale
I have a rattle from the drier side of the window. It only happens if I fully close the window. If i open the window a bit (technically closed) I do not hear the rattle.
Weird. My '93 Accord had the exact same problem, exactly the way you've described it. I tried to get several dealers to fix it during the three-year warranty, and none were successful. Finally I gave up. Drove the car for 9 years and 147,000 miles with this problem. My 2d gen TL does not have this rattle. I'm surprised to hear that it has resurfaced with the 3d gen TL.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Instructor

I have the same exact rattle and it's getting worse. Some people in here got the door panel replaced but I don't know of any other fix for this. I intend to take the door panel off myself and try and locate the rattle. I will post info on this when I take the door panel off, I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:25 PM
Instructor

This thread has a collection of links to various rattle problems, including one that might fit your problem. I'm having the same issue, haven't got around to fixing it yet.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84824
Old 09-12-2004, 09:34 PM
Burning Brakes

When it gets hot outside the cheap plastic that goes in the door creaks and rattles badly. When it cools off it shuts up. Whom ever designed the pile of crap hood-liner, third brake light housing, glove compartment, tweeter mounts, rear seat belt deck mounts and every other cheap crap that rattles or falls off should be quartered and stoned....

Why is it my Mom's pile of crap KIA can go from 0f to 100f without everything in the car making noise, my old Ford could do it, my wifes Ford could do it, my 35 year old Chevelle can do it, but my TL can't make it thru one single day without some part of the interior sounding like it no longer has interest in being in the car.

I'm driving to work on Friday and I hear this loud POP, and it's the center of the headliner, it's popped down a few inches. I pop it back up and a few min's later, POP it comes down again. You look in there and it looks like some beginner engineer decided that velcro and tape are the best devices to use to hold this head-liner together. The design of this is the biggest joke I've ever seen in car design, and we got it, how great is that!?!?

I have to use a sock in just the right spot to keep that DAMNED glove compartment from rattling like a baby rattle. The rear deck sounds like someone dropped quarters in it, but of course when it cools off outside it's quiet.... The dealer is clueless but says MANY people complain of higher than normal interior noise, GREAT, just friggin perfect.

So, in the mean time I tell myself that mechanically the car is perfect, while the interior looks nice it's built like shit. The last TL loaner I got made mine sound quiet so when I got mine back I was actually glad it was at least quieter than the loaner, sheeeesh how pathetic is that?
Old 09-12-2004, 09:37 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Norse, everything you said rings true for me too. My window trim rattles when it decides I've been driving too much, and of course, the two front seat belt assemblies also rattle non-stop (they make this click click noise, and because it's right by your ear, it's soooooo annoying!)
Old 09-12-2004, 09:39 PM
10th Gear

the dealer had changed the door panel and still has not solved the problem
Old 09-12-2004, 09:48 PM
At least I'm housebroken.

I think this rattle is the side airbag and a poorly insulated clip. Search for airbag rattle. On mine, it's present and REALLY annoying -- sounds like it's right in my ear.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:17 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same noise here. Seems to be caused by expansion of the window glass and subsides by cracking open then closing the window. I've noticed that sometimes the car is quiet until the sun starts shining directly on the window - then it starts. I have added insulation in this area which helped with some noises, but not the one you describe. I've also tried reseating the weatherstriping and silicon lubricants. No luck.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:53 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by Aegir
Same noise here. Seems to be caused by expansion of the window glass and subsides by cracking open then closing the window. I've noticed that sometimes the car is quiet until the sun starts shining directly on the window - then it starts. I have added insulation in this area which helped with some noises, but not the one you describe. I've also tried reseating the weatherstriping and silicon lubricants. No luck.
Yeah, I put felt in the hard plastic trim, readjusted the weatherstripping, applied silicon lubricant and had no luck either.

Ah well ... what we have to deal with!
Old 09-13-2004, 11:49 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Is this the same rattle I hear coming from above my passenger front door - I guess by the grab handle. I tried searching, but sooooooooooo many rattle threads (which is discouraging in itself). Is the clicking sound I hear going over bumps that seems to come from above passenger window - is this the airbag rattle or something else? Is there an easy fix. I thought I recall (no pun) someone saying they loosened the handle and re-tightened and that helped - true?

Totally agree - two different type cars depending on temp. & sun.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:28 PM
Intermediate

I think this thread is spreading to my car. Just got back from Miami and the whole way home the window or close to it started to rattle. After about 30 min I went off on my door and window. I think I made it worse. Are dealers good a fixing these problems. I love my TL I mean Love it...but I didnt drop over 30K for a dam rattle trap. My Maxima never had one problem, never a rattle...HELP!!!!!
Old 09-13-2004, 01:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Never the twain...

Originally Posted by TBone2004
Is this the same rattle I hear coming from above my passenger front door - I guess by the grab handle. I tried searching, but sooooooooooo many rattle threads (which is discouraging in itself). Is the clicking sound I hear going over bumps that seems to come from above passenger window - is this the airbag rattle or something else? Is there an easy fix. I thought I recall (no pun) someone saying they loosened the handle and re-tightened and that helped - true?

Totally agree - two different type cars depending on temp. & sun.
Before anyone thinks that ALL TLs have rattles and bad materials, I must tell you that my TL has never seen a temperature below 75 degrees since I've had it. It has NO rattles. I have a small space in my third brake light which is a minor annoyance at night when backing up with my foot on the brake. The dealer will replace it when I get my first service. I got the car in April but still have 80% oil life.

The only rattles I have heard turned out to be DVD jewel boxes in the door bins or sun glasses in the cubby hole.

I'm sorry your cars are seemingly plagued with these problems. Just want you to know they are NOT universal.

XP
Old 09-13-2004, 06:27 PM
Intermediate

Sos

I've got the same popping and squeeking noise. Mine seems worst in the morning when I go out my very steep driveway - doesn't seem to change with temperature, but we haven't had winder yet. I was wondering if mechanical stresses on the door or window when the car is tilted up make it worse. Up to now (6K) this has been my only major complaint; I'm happy with the performance, efficiency, handling, brakes, and sound system.

So far my dealer has not been helpful, but I don't think this is a dealer issue. If they put in new components with the the same design/material flaws then we'll get the same BS. Acura HQ has ignored my letters despite their being written in a constructive tone.

I wonder if a statement signed by many (hundreds?) of us could make it into some forum that would make Acura uncomfortable, like Car and Driver or Road&Track?
Old 09-13-2004, 07:45 PM
Club Abyss Member

Originally Posted by Motoracer
I've got the same popping and squeeking noise. Mine seems worst in the morning when I go out my very steep driveway - doesn't seem to change with temperature, but we haven't had winder yet. I was wondering if mechanical stresses on the door or window when the car is tilted up make it worse. Up to now (6K) this has been my only major complaint; I'm happy with the performance, efficiency, handling, brakes, and sound system.

So far my dealer has not been helpful, but I don't think this is a dealer issue. If they put in new components with the the same design/material flaws then we'll get the same BS. Acura HQ has ignored my letters despite their being written in a constructive tone.

I wonder if a statement signed by many (hundreds?) of us could make it into some forum that would make Acura uncomfortable, like Car and Driver or Road&Track?
exactly....the problem is the quality of parts....does Acura/Honda think we should accept their dealers inserting all kinds of sound deadening materials to muffle these rattles and noises ??!!.......they need to go back and test some of their final assembled TLs.....with all the posts on this web site relating to rattles Acura needs to address this.....i for one am very dissappointed with my first Acura/Honda vehicle !
Old 09-14-2004, 07:15 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I don't think anyone implied that they were universal. That would be an ignorant thing to say. Now, as far as your car not having a single rattle ever - you are in denial. EVERY car makes noise - not all the time, but every car in the entire world will throw a noise here and there. What some people complain about are continuous noises - that keep going. I have none of those myself. What I do hear is an occassional noise - so maybe the definition of rattle needs to be clear.

Trust me - you have noises - listen....shhhhhh...listen...hear that....yep...you got one too...

Originally Posted by Xpditor
Before anyone thinks that ALL TLs have rattles and bad materials, I must tell you that my TL has never seen a temperature below 75 degrees since I've had it. It has NO rattles. I have a small space in my third brake light which is a minor annoyance at night when backing up with my foot on the brake. The dealer will replace it when I get my first service. I got the car in April but still have 80% oil life.

The only rattles I have heard turned out to be DVD jewel boxes in the door bins or sun glasses in the cubby hole.

I'm sorry your cars are seemingly plagued with these problems. Just want you to know they are NOT universal.

XP
Old 09-14-2004, 09:07 PM
Advanced

Motoracer......you and I must be cloned. Going down the driveway is exactly when I first began hearing the creaking in my window frames. I don't know if I'm going to bring this to the dealer. Long story short-after various attempts to dampen the sound with various things (felt, rubber, etc) I stuffed cheesecloth in the window frames tonight.
Wish me luck.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:02 PM
Intermediate

Acura responds - finally!

After getting no reponse to a letter I sent to Acura Client Services, and after getting no help with my squeeking/popping noise issue at the dealer, I wrote the a letter to the CEO of the dealership. I explained my situation and suggested that the dealers are going to be suffering as much as the clients with the cost of addressing service complaints and with the loss of Acura's reputation for quality which will cost them repeat sales. I presented my opinion that Acura brought the TL to market with unresolved quality issues in the interior design or materials, leaving it up the to dealers to cope with any negative fallout. I figured if Acura won't listent to the clients, they might at least pay attention to their dealers.

It might have worked. Today I got a phone call from Acura Client Services. They spoke with the service manager at my local Acura shop (Herb Connolloy Acura) and the the manager claimed there are no cabin quality / rattle issues with the new TL that they can't fix. I'm going to wait until the MID tells me to change oil, at which time I'll see if they're as good as their word. It was encouraging that they finally responded. I'm still extremely satisfied with almost every other aspect of the car and I would be a happy customer if they can make it right.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:26 PM
6th Gear

HI guys,
im interested in getting a 04 tl, but from this site and other sites, owners have been complaining about rattles in their cars. Not so good for a near luxury car. DO any of you guys know if the 05 tl have fixed these flaws or not? or if the late build 04 have been better with rattles.
thanks
ph
Old 10-11-2004, 07:30 PM
Intermediate

I thought that by buying my TL in July I would benefit from ongoing improvements in production. I was wrong.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:06 PM
At least I'm housebroken.

Bad weld between mirror and door. Dealer will fix. Mine did.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:35 PM
Go USC Gamecocks!

The only window rattles I get are when my windows are down and I shut the door. It sounds like the window is floating in the door. Not sure if this is a problem or not. Anyone else experience this?
Old 10-13-2004, 05:34 PM
Intermediate

TL-CLT

do you have the fix notes from the dealer? If so please post.
Thks
Old 10-13-2004, 10:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by TBone2004
Trust me - you have noises - listen....shhhhhh...listen...hear that....yep...you got one too...
I don't trust you; I don't even know you. I have told you before and I will tell you again: my car doesn't have any rattles or sqeaks. A lot of other TL owners say the same.

Admittedly, I live in Florida where the roads are nicely paved. I don't drive off-road with the TL and we don't have pot-holes because it doesn't freeze here.

I have had the car for 6 months. When I have heard a rattle here or there, it turned out to be items in the door bins like jewel cases for the DVD-As rattling against each other.

After being on this forum for 10 months, I listen for the rattles others have reported. For whatever reason, I repeat, my car doesn't have them. Not yet, anyway <knock on plood>.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:29 PM
Cruisin'

window rattles when window is open on door shut

I just bought my 05 TL today.
But in the demo room there was an 04 with the window half shut. When I closed the door, there was this rattle like not all the screws were tightened. It was a noise you'd expect from a 12 year old car. It was either a panel or the window that was loose. I'm not much of a complainer since i've never had a new car in my entire life so the TL is an extreme upgrade, but the noise was concerning.

Being a ding dong, I did not think that moment to try it on the 05. Will do it this Friday on all the doors.

Originally Posted by chipplaysdrums
The only window rattles I get are when my windows are down and I shut the door. It sounds like the window is floating in the door. Not sure if this is a problem or not. Anyone else experience this?
Old 10-20-2004, 05:36 PM
1st Gear

After getting no reponse to a letter I sent to Acura Client Services, and after getting no help with my squeeking/popping noise issue at the dealer, I wrote the a letter to the CEO of the dealership. I explained my situation and suggested that the dealers are going to be suffering as much as the clients with the cost of addressing service complaints and with the loss of Acura's reputation for quality which will cost them repeat sales. I presented my opinion that Acura brought the TL to market with unresolved quality issues in the interior design or materials, leaving it up the to dealers to cope with any negative fallout. I figured if Acura won't listent to the clients, they might at least pay attention to their dealers.

It might have worked. Today I got a phone call from Acura Client Services. They spoke with the service manager at my local Acura shop (Herb Connolloy Acura) and the the manager claimed there are no cabin quality / rattle issues with the new TL that they can't fix. I'm going to wait until the MID tells me to change oil, at which time I'll see if they're as good as their word. It was encouraging that they finally responded. I'm still extremely satisfied with almost every other aspect of the car and I would be a happy customer if they can make it right.
Yes, the front door windows rattle in my 04TL AT/No NAV. The dealer told me the windows are on
a "pulley system". A design problem?? I've only noticed this when the windows are partially open.
Dealer offered to replace "pulley system". If it gets worse I might try that. Also had a loose light
fixture above the passenger sun visor. Had that replaced at Dealer.

This a great lobby for us. Thanks for all the info everyone!
Old 10-21-2004, 12:02 PM
Team Anthracite Member

What? I'm sorry I can't hear you over all the noise coming outta your car.

I don't even trust myself! I think the smooth roads may help - my only rattle/noise happens when I go over rough road surface - which is every day to and from work. The roads are pretty bad in NJ. Otherwise like you I am very quiet. Some guys out here took a beating in the rattle department. Luck of the draw...

Originally Posted by Xpditor
I don't trust you; I don't even know you. I have told you before and I will tell you again: my car doesn't have any rattles or sqeaks. A lot of other TL owners say the same.

Admittedly, I live in Florida where the roads are nicely paved. I don't drive off-road with the TL and we don't have pot-holes because it doesn't freeze here.

I have had the car for 6 months. When I have heard a rattle here or there, it turned out to be items in the door bins like jewel cases for the DVD-As rattling against each other.

After being on this forum for 10 months, I listen for the rattles others have reported. For whatever reason, I repeat, my car doesn't have them. Not yet, anyway <knock on plood>.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:28 PM
3rd Gear

Side Air Bag Pillar Rattle

I had a really bad rattle in the front Pillar / Dash on the passanger side. It would only be noticable in the morning and in the evening or when the temperature was below 50 deg.

I decided to fix the problem adn took teh side air bag pillars off. The inside of the pillar is not very well insulated. I also noticed that the clamps that hold the pillar in place are rattling. After I insultaed the mettal with Dynomat and used sticky foam as felt to soften everything on the inside,(be casreful not to obstruct the air-bag), my rattle is gone.

The other rattle I had was in the door /window as so many other people have described. It actually took me a while to determine that it is not the door, but some badly designed parts inside the mirror assembly. I took teh mirros off, adn hot-glued the inside where some parts made rubbing noises. Now the door noise is gone. I also applied the fix that was posed earlier in the forum by felting the plastic door liner.

piece by piece I am getting rid of the rattles.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:52 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Do you have any pics of the exact area you worked on - and how you got it apart. I have a rattle on the passenger side - maybe by the grab handle or somewhere - everytime I hit a bump or rough road. Really annoying - other than that I am pretty quiet.

Thanks - I am just not clear if my problem is where others is - a pic or something would really be helpful.

Originally Posted by mub1us
I had a really bad rattle in the front Pillar / Dash on the passanger side. It would only be noticable in the morning and in the evening or when the temperature was below 50 deg.

I decided to fix the problem adn took teh side air bag pillars off. The inside of the pillar is not very well insulated. I also noticed that the clamps that hold the pillar in place are rattling. After I insultaed the mettal with Dynomat and used sticky foam as felt to soften everything on the inside,(be casreful not to obstruct the air-bag), my rattle is gone.

The other rattle I had was in the door /window as so many other people have described. It actually took me a while to determine that it is not the door, but some badly designed parts inside the mirror assembly. I took teh mirros off, adn hot-glued the inside where some parts made rubbing noises. Now the door noise is gone. I also applied the fix that was posed earlier in the forum by felting the plastic door liner.

piece by piece I am getting rid of the rattles.