Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driver seat symmetry

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 500 Likes on 278 Posts
driver seat symmetry

This is something minor, but I'm wondering if it's me, or the seat. Basically, to me, it feels like I 'slip' out of the seat much more easily on right hand turns. The seat holds me in firmly for left hand turns.
I notice it mostly when I brake a bit, start turning in, do the heal and toe and at that point all my feet are 'hovering' not being used to hold myself, my right hand is on the shifter and my left hand is steering. And quite often i feel like i'm going towards the door and that the thigh supports squeeze down as opposed to holding me in. And left hand turns, I never get that feeling.

Anybody else notice this, or is it my butt / back that's deformed
Old 08-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha...it could be that all the right hand turns are sharper thus causing more of a centripetal force, pushing you to the outside.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Well the seat is up against the center console for the left hand turns and much more space between the seat and B-pillar for right hand turns. So, perhaps the left bolster gives a litte more. Are you skinny? Perhaps your butt is small and you just slide around?
Old 08-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cschell
haha...it could be that all the right hand turns are sharper thus causing more of a centripetal force, pushing you to the outside.

ya i thought about that too, but driving in downtown, turning from 1 way to 1 way left should be equally sharp, and it really is only right hand turns, left hand turns, i'm actually impressed how well it keeps me in there.

I am fairly skinny, 140lbs or so 5.8' tall, but it's not really a 'slide' motion that i get, it's a pivot/rotate, like my bumm and left leg is digging into the seat more. The left bolster def. seems to give more, but the most obvious to me, is the left side of the butt cushion. I have the ebony/silver interior, so with that, it would be the black edge that's raised compared to the silver center part. That part on the right side is firmer.

Last edited by PhilB81; 08-10-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
there is a device you can put on the seat belt at buckle that locks the belt race track tight- that stops all sliding--about 50 bucks- I use on my gen2 and other ziners have one or 2 as well
http://www.cg-lock.com/index.html

If your feet are hovering in heel toe- you watch too much nascar in-car coverage~
Heel toe for a street car means the right heel stays planted `on the floor`and the left side of the foot is on the brake while right side is on the gas to blip it as needed for rpm matching- you roll your foot with the heel as a pivot point
'With the trans synchros in modern cars,, its a lost art,
iirc the newer TLs even have auto blip of throttle on downshift~!

Do NOT use the heel on the brake -with turning foot sideways to the right to use toe on gas pedal- thats just crazy talk!
nascar only does that way because of where their pedals are, and pedal forces are set up,
They dont run road courses much, so use a special Baker trans just for those events- you dont even have to use the clutch to shift up or own,, but it will make the system last an entire race if you do clutch--watch boris said
They are running at the Glen today- will see lots of examples of their heel toe- but not the type for normal humans--or even ziners

Go to a track day with the hover method and the instructor will ask if this is a 66 sprite or a 2000s TL

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 08-10-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
there is a device you can put on the seat belt at buckle that locks the belt race track tight- that stops all sliding--about 50 bucks- I use on my gen2 and other ziners have one or 2 as well
http://www.cg-lock.com/index.html

If your feet are hovering in heel toe- you watch too much nascar in-car coverage~
Heel toe for a street car means the right heel stays planted `on the floor`and the left side of the foot is on the brake while right side is on the gas to blip it as needed for rpm matching- you roll your foot with the heel as a pivot point
'With the trans synchros in modern cars,, its a lost art,
iirc the newer TLs even have auto blip of throttle on downshift~!

Do NOT use the heel on the brake -with turning foot sideways to the right to use toe on gas pedal- thats just crazy talk!
nascar only does that way because of where their pedals are, and pedal forces are set up,
They dont run road courses much, so use a special Baker trans just for those events- you dont even have to use the clutch to shift up or own,, but it will make the system last an entire race if you do clutch--watch boris said
They are running at the Glen today- will see lots of examples of their heel toe- but not the type for normal humans--or even ziners

Go to a track day with the hover method and the instructor will ask if this is a 66 sprite or a 2000s TL

okay, lets address a few things, firstly, I don't brake hard enough so my brake pedal isn't pressed enough to be able to properly reach the gas pedal with my narrow puma shoes. So i do have to torque my foot a bit, and it's hovering only in the tl because the gas pedal is fixed at the bottom.
there is no 'blip' throttle on downshifts, only manual car that has that is the Nissan 370z as far as i'm aware. I don't do the heal n toe for the sake of my synchros, I just don't want that jolt when i let go of the clutch and my engine is spinning 800rpm, whenit should be lets say 1500rpm in 3rd gear for that speed[when i make the corner].

and as far as that locking deal there, I'd rather fly out the window or put a 5 point harness in my car before i buy that, but thanks for mentioning it.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:15 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
It's because the door side thigh bolster gets worn/deformed/flattened more than the console side. It's from repeated entry/exit over that bolster.

(that's my theory at any rate)
Old 08-11-2009, 02:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
It's because the door side thigh bolster gets worn/deformed/flattened more than the console side. It's from repeated entry/exit over that bolster.

(that's my theory at any rate)
Ya, those were my thoughts as well, just bummed it's happening with only 15.5K miles on the car.

Anyways, thanks for everyone's input.