Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

double stroller for the TL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
double stroller for the TL?

I've tried searching and found lots of posts about carseats but not much about strollers...
We have our 2nd kid on the way (1st will be 19months when #2 arrives) so I'm looking for double strollers that will fit the TLs trunk. We were given a graco duoglider lxi that can be made to fit by removing one of the sunvisors and snack trays and going in diagonally leaving very little room for anything else.

Has anyone found a double stroller they like and that collapses well enough to fit and leave room for other things in the trunk? Our single strollers take up lots of space in the trunk but all fit straight in (as opposed to across) leaving lots of space.

I know eventually I'll probably have to dump the TL for a minivan or larger SUV but that isn't happening anytime soon.
Thanks,
Jon
Old 03-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Good question. I was in the same situation as you a few months ago. My youngest is now almost 5 months, and my oldest turns 2 on the 11th of this month. My wife purchased a Graco double stroller (I don't know the model number), but we have yet to use it. When I have a moment, I'll take a look at it. It doesn't look like fitment would be an issue, but I'll know for sure after the attempt to get it into the trunk.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Instructor

Bob Revolution Duallie. Best stroller ever (had the single now have the duallie). Expensive? Yes. Worth it. OMG YES.

Easy to maneuver, awesome to run with, practical at the store, fits in the trunk (even flatter if you pop off the wheels with the quick disconnect but I leave them on) and with the car seat adapter, we click the car seat out of the base and pop it in the jogger and were on our way... kids are 4 and 2 and a half now and I still use it to go running... check craigslist for used ones - but they hold their value really well because they are well made... get the cup holder and the car seat adapter and you'll enjoy it sooo much more.

G/L
Old 03-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Recaro stroller:

Old 03-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by enigmaos
Recaro stroller:

That's like buying Lucky Brand jeans when Wranglers are just as comfortable. They don't don't have "Lucky You" present when you unzip the zipper.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:48 AM
Fight On!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought the Joovy Ultralight Caboose for my 3 and 1 year old kids. Its a high quality stroller that's very maneuverable. I do have to remove the sunshade when i put it in the TLs trunk but its no big deal. It just slides off.

The only issue I have with it isn't portability related. If your youngest child has outgrown their infant seat then they sit in front. Because of the design the front seat will not recline all the way down if your youngest falls asleep.

(But if it did fully recline then there wouldn't be room for a 2nd child in the rear and it would make the unit too big and defeat the purpose of a tandem stroller.)

BTW: I don't think our cars are very good for having two car seats in the back. It's can be done but is a PITA especially if you have to swaps the seats into another car often. Might be a bigger issue than what strollers will fit in the trunk.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Steen27
Bob Revolution Duallie. Best stroller ever (had the single now have the duallie). Expensive? Yes. Worth it. OMG YES.

Easy to maneuver, awesome to run with, practical at the store, fits in the trunk (even flatter if you pop off the wheels with the quick disconnect but I leave them on) and with the car seat adapter, we click the car seat out of the base and pop it in the jogger and were on our way... kids are 4 and 2 and a half now and I still use it to go running... check craigslist for used ones - but they hold their value really well because they are well made... get the cup holder and the car seat adapter and you'll enjoy it sooo much more.

G/L
I've been told to avoid double wide strollers for maneuverability in the mall and the like. Have you found this to be a problem?
How does this stroller fit in the trunk - straight in or across the width? I'm trying to picture how much space will still be available in the trunk.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 03-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by enigmaos
Recaro stroller:

This a single, any comments on a double that fits in the trunk with room to spare?
Old 03-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CrazyNurse
I bought the Joovy Ultralight Caboose for my 3 and 1 year old kids. Its a high quality stroller that's very maneuverable. I do have to remove the sunshade when i put it in the TLs trunk but its no big deal. It just slides off.

The only issue I have with it isn't portability related. If your youngest child has outgrown their infant seat then they sit in front. Because of the design the front seat will not recline all the way down if your youngest falls asleep.

(But if it did fully recline then there wouldn't be room for a 2nd child in the rear and it would make the unit too big and defeat the purpose of a tandem stroller.)

BTW: I don't think our cars are very good for having two car seats in the back. It's can be done but is a PITA especially if you have to swaps the seats into another car often. Might be a bigger issue than what strollers will fit in the trunk.
This stroller looks interesting, the pictures make it look as small as a double stroller can be. However, if I read the specs correctly, the rear seat requires a 2.5yr+ which we won't be us for 6 months.
Can the rear kid nap as well? The pictures make it look there is no support for the rear kid.

In what orientation does this fit in the trunk?

I'm not so much worried about moving car seats, we have seats for both cars and don't often need to move them. I have to admit that the base for the bucket is a huge pain to move but we have britax boulevard seats for when they outgrow the bucket and those have seatbelt like clips for the latches so they go in and out easily.

Thanks for the help,
Jon
Old 03-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by drboom
I've been told to avoid double wide strollers for maneuverability in the mall and the like. Have you found this to be a problem?
How does this stroller fit in the trunk - straight in or across the width? I'm trying to picture how much space will still be available in the trunk.

Thanks,
Jon
In the interest of full disclosure, I have a 2G not a 3G TL... so not sure how much smaller/larger the 3G is compared to my 2G...

The BOB Revolution folds over on itself and you pick it up by the rear axel or a carrying strap near the rear axel. I can put it straight in (as if driving into the trunk) or turn it 90 degrees and set it in that way... Think i have a little more room if I turn it 90 and then set it in...

Very manueverable in most stores, a little tight in stores that have clothing racks too close together however, most stores are fine cause it's no wider than a wheelchair and most stores have to accommodate wheelchairs so it benefits double wide strollers too.

See if any of your friends have one, or check out an REI near you, or a good baby shop and compare them in person if possible.

There are a lot of options out there, this one just works great for us but as usual, YMMV.

Also consider going used for the higher end strollers, they are usually in good condition as parents hope to recoup some of their investment when the kids outgrow it...(although I still easily throw my 4 year old and 2 year old into our BOB and they love it)

Congrats on the new baby and good luck!
Old 07-30-2010, 03:01 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for all of the advice. Now that our new baby is here I've finally found a used (still $$$) bob revolution on craigslist. Great stroller and collapses as small as I can imagine it going and fits in the trunk reasonably well. There still isn't a whole lot of extra room with the bob in the trunk but enough for some other baby stuff. I've only managed to fit the stroller in with the front wheel removed and it fits much better with the rear wheels removed as well. The quick release wheels make this reasonably easy.
Thanks again,
Jon
Old 07-30-2010, 03:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
^ congrats on the baby.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Congrats
Old 07-30-2010, 04:44 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Put da bebeh in a sling!

Congrats on the new addition to the family
Old 07-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Instructor

City Select baby jogger. http://www.babyjogger.com/city_select_lp.aspx

It fits quite nicely in small trunks, and it has sooo many options. If you want pics of it collapsed and in my trunk, let me know.

Last edited by maknwar; 07-30-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:53 AM
8th Gear

My wife bought a Graco (think I spelled it correctly) double baby stroller and it takes up quite a bit of trunk space so much so that we never take it with us when we travel because it leaves no room luggage. Still have not found a stroller that leaves enough room for other items in the trunk such as luggage. I'll have to check out that website that "maknwar" provided to see I can find one, but so far no luck finding anything better.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:36 AM
Instructor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUQbMebYXCA

Notice how easy and flat it can fold. You can add another seat or baby seat to it really easy. Also, you can turn the babies seats either direction.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:11 PM
7th Gear

The BOB revolution duallie is pretty cool. I'm picking up a BOB revolution single in a few weeks from REI (#2 baby isn't here yet.) In the interest of width for dual strollers, if I ever need one, I'm getting a Phil and Ted. The kids sit tandem, so it can accommodate up to 2 toddlers without being any wider than a normal jogger.