Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Edge Guard?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 08:45 PM
blah blah blah

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Door Edge Guard?

Can someone post pictures of a TL with the door edge guard please? I want to see how they look on the car.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
99CL:

Are they for you, or someone else? I ask, because I would try to talk you out of using them, unless there is a physical impairment issue. One has to figure that if someone sports a door edge guard, the object being hit by the door edge is going to get damaged; otherwise, why have them? And if that is another vehicle, then one is left to ponder why someone would want to tell the world that "I slam other people's doors!"? I can see someone who just got their new car "dinged" seeing your car with its body armor, and contemplating where to key yours.

They look bad on ANY car IMO. The sight lines so carefully penned by the designers get interrupted by sudden vertical lines - and they identify the driver as someone incapable of controlling door movements.

I tend to look at Acuras that have them, and have found the drivers fall into one of the following:

A) A fan of Lawrence Welk, moving quickly towards the dirt nap, Big Sleep, etc.
B) Low budget "blingage" folk - you know, with 3 blade, gold plastic wiper blades.

Not intended to incite anyone, just posting a point of view.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:09 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Road Rage
99CL:

Are they for you, or someone else? I ask, because I would try to talk you out of using them, unless there is a physical impairment issue. One has to figure that if someone sports a door edge guard, the object being hit by the door edge is going to get damaged; otherwise, why have them? And if that is another vehicle, then one is left to ponder why someone would want to tell the world that "I slam other people's doors!"? I can see someone who just got their new car "dinged" seeing your car with its body armor, and contemplating where to key yours.

They look bad on ANY car IMO. The sight lines so carefully penned by the designers get interrupted by sudden vertical lines - and they identify the driver as someone incapable of controlling door movements.

I tend to look at Acuras that have them, and have found the drivers fall into one of the following:

B) Low budget "blingage" folk - you know, with 3 blade, gold plastic wiper blades.

I have them on my car. I happened to like them as they prevent damaging the paint/structure on each door.

A fan of Lawrence Welk and Low budget "blingage" folk
Old 08-26-2005, 05:55 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
99CL:

Old 08-26-2005, 08:50 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RR - I am with you 100%. Low budget blinkage - dead on description.

99CL:

Old 08-27-2005, 10:07 AM
I slow down for COPS

Talking 3M clear ones, how about that?

you can get clear 3M door edge guards. i am sure Roadblocker (one of the vendors on this site) sells them. i hate the traditional rubber ones. the 3M is the same material that the bra is made from. you can hardly tell you have the door edge guards, but you have the protection.

hope that helps.

mark.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:17 AM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

99CL:

I'm with you. As far as I can tell, they don't look very good and they don't help my car at all unless I'm not very careful about how I open my doors. After all, if I'm careful about opening my doors and other people's cars, what am I protecting?
Old 08-27-2005, 10:47 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mark 3M bra man
you can get clear 3M door edge guards. i am sure Roadblocker (one of the vendors on this site) sells them. i hate the traditional rubber ones. the 3M is the same material that the bra is made from. you can hardly tell you have the door edge guards, but you have the protection.

hope that helps.

mark.
I have the clear 3M ones on my car (thanks, Mark!). I got them with the Clear Bra and couldn't be happier.

The reason I installed them is because I am so protective of my car. I usually search out the perfect parking spot and sometimes that's up against a wall or next to cement pylons. In these cases I tend to cheat over towards the barrier so that the opposite side of the car is further away from any car that may park next to me. By parking close to the barrier, I (or my passenger) have to squeeze a bit to exit the car. The edge guards sure do help in these cases.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:38 PM
Racer

Wish I had them on my car. Someone (a passenger in my car obviously) chipped the paint on the door. Not sure who. Just noticed it one day after a few days of no one being in the car other then me.

Its not horrible but, with door guards I wouldn't have the chips. I just didn't want the cheesey black plastic ones you see all the time. Next car I will look at the other options like the 3m ones or others.

I just hope when it happened it was against a wall or something and not someone elses car. Or maybe some junker where the owner wouldn't care / notice. I keep meaning to line my car up in the drive way and see if it lines up with my rock wall.

If you are the ONLY one ever in your car I agree it is probably not needed. I have not banged my side once and didn't in my last two cars at least. Accidents do happen though too.

Also where the door stops sucks. Too narrow at the first stop and too wide at the next stop (for tight spaces). If there was a reasonable mod for this I would do it in a heart beat. Stupid design. My 2000 Accord didn't have this and I never had a problem with my Accord's doors coming back at me or having to hold the door inbetween the stops to get out without wacking the car or wall next to me. I am not a weakling and can close the doors without and spring or weight assist thank you very much. I had had the door close at me a few times. Not allot but, very annoying.