3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does regularly using Sport Shift damage the transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does regularly using Sport Shift damage the transmission?

I've read other forums and this issue is only peripherally addressed... so I wanted to take it to center stage.

I use my Sport Shift about 60% of the time. Can anyone speculate on the safety of doing this? Am I lessening the tranny's lifespan? I'm what I would call a... spirited driver... but certainly not crazy... for example I don't do wild gate shifting, etc.

... Anyone? Anyone?
Old 06-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
i never drive in d i used to have the car in stick shift now i have it in auto and i think i made a big mistake since i cant just put it in D and drive its so boring. I dont think u gonna damage anything. only thing i see is that shift it a little higher then usually what it would do but thats all in reasonable rpms so no i dont think so.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation I'm curious 2!

Yea, I wanna know too... I try not to use the sport shift too often, only when I wanna pass someone.

Anybody? Any insight?

Peace
Old 06-18-2007, 06:19 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Guy's use the sport shiftmode and enjoy it !.... HONDA has re-designed the 5 -speed automatic! made the in internal's alot stonger , and over all the the transmission more come compact and responsive & alot stronger.and also made the torque converter more durable Etc.... just use comon sense when using it and don't over Rev-it/abuse it!.... the (Engine) that is!...and let's not forget it has a 5 year warranty etc, if it begin's to act up, but ACURA say's the have just about all the bug's worked out of the auto -transmission!....happy motoring!
Old 06-18-2007, 06:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Have fun- just realize the fuel use is less when the auto shifts it at lower rpm than you will!

DONT use it to slow the car on a normal basis- sure if downshift and braking to make the correct corner exit speed and torque combination- but use the much less expensive BRAKES to slow the car and preserve the trans
3x Drain and refill method of trans fluid change is a good idea

Check your owner book- A/T cars have rev limiter built in that if you forget to upshift you will discover a bucking bronco of a car till you shift or let off the gas
The computer will likewise ignore request to downshift if the rpm will redline because of it
Old 06-18-2007, 06:40 PM
Racer

I've been using the sport shift every chance I get since 10k...going strong still at 30k (i need a flush atm).

Don't worry about this:
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/wanted-black-rims-71483/

That's why we have warranties
Old 06-18-2007, 06:49 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Have fun- just realize the fuel use is less when the auto shifts it at lower rpm than you will!

DONT use it to slow the car on a normal basis- sure if downshift and braking to make the correct corner exit speed and torque combination- but use the much less expensive BRAKES to slow the car and preserve the trans
3x Drain and refill method of trans fluid change is a good idea

Check your owner book- A/T cars have rev limiter built in that if you forget to upshift you will discover a bucking bronco of a car till you shift or let off the gas
The computer will likewise ignore request to downshift if the rpm will redline because of it
Occationally I've had my car in SS and punched it when the lgiht turned green, and it won't automatically shit into 2nd whenever I do this it'll usually get to 6k RPM and I'll try to shift it to 2nd, but it wont take until i kudge the shifter twice.
Is that normal?
Old 06-18-2007, 07:00 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
um. i only drive is SS mode. shoulda bought a 6MT....
Old 06-18-2007, 09:04 PM
Team Owner

pnoi

I believe the gen 3 does not SS auto shift 1st to 2nd for you-
that was a gen 2 feature
Keep an eye on those revs!
Old 06-18-2007, 09:30 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pnoi

I believe the gen 3 does not SS auto shift 1st to 2nd for you-
that was a gen 2 feature
Keep an eye on those revs!
Unless I'm misunderstanding, this is not correct. The 04+ TLs will automatically shift from 1 to 2, even in sport shift mode. Some folks get around this by starting in L and switching to SS mode at high RPM.

The only time I worry about transmission life in SS is when I accidentally downshift in SS without properly matching the engine RPM with a throttle blip. I hate the 'clunk' of the sudden downshift. Generally, I know where to set the throttle during a downshift to avoid this.

Many times, I wish I bought the 6MT as this is my first AT. Still, it's those times when I'm sitting in stop-and-go traffic that I'm thankful I'm not pumping a clutch pedal.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
The computer system won't let you do anything that would hurt the transmission or engine. It is protected against over-revving.

However, the Owner's Manual cautions against down shifting from 5 to 4 at speeds over 149 MPH (LOL) and there is a max speed given for every other gear for down shifting.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:45 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bluenoise
Unless I'm misunderstanding, this is not correct. The 04+ TLs will automatically shift from 1 to 2, even in sport shift mode. Some folks get around this by starting in L and switching to SS mode at high RPM.

The only time I worry about transmission life in SS is when I accidentally downshift in SS without properly matching the engine RPM with a throttle blip. I hate the 'clunk' of the sudden downshift. Generally, I know where to set the throttle during a downshift to avoid this.

Many times, I wish I bought the 6MT as this is my first AT. Still, it's those times when I'm sitting in stop-and-go traffic that I'm thankful I'm not pumping a clutch pedal.

I never really do that, lol. Is that really bad?
Old 06-18-2007, 09:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
also it shifts to first to second only on 04-06 TL's
Old 06-18-2007, 09:48 PM
now with four rings

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
yep...same here...wife hates it when i SS because 1) she thinks i'm TRYING to drive a stick (since i don't really know how) 2) she likes to hold my hand when i want to SS instead...it's funner...
Old 06-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Anytime a shift takes place, wear is taking place. You're engaging and disengaging clutch packs. How much wear is up to you. Wear is dependant mostly on the total number of shifts made and load. If you're just shifting at a slightly higher rpm than the car shifts itself at, you won't see any extra wear. If you're taking it to redline all the time it will cause more but no different than the car shifting iteslf at WOT. For the most part upshifting manually will not have much if any impact on the life of the trans.

Everytime you manually downshift to slow the car, you're adding extra shifts that normally wouldn't be there. Sure, it downshifts itself in D but when you're off the gas and coasting/braking, it's more or less freewheeling due to the sprag(s) (one way clutch) and there is close to 0 load. When you put it in manual you're now using engine braking, no more freewheeling. You downshift and the more of an rpm difference between the input shaft (engine side) and axles (road side) the more wear. It may not be much but I would guess over 100K miles you would see a difference in wear.

I personally only manually downshift on long downhill grades. Once you bring the rpms over a certain point while coasting, it goes into decel fuel shutoff which shuts the injectors off and you can actually watch the miles to empty count backwards after a while.

One thing I forgot that was mentioned above is trying to match revs will lessen the shock a lot. I don't mind using engine braking on a stick because I can match revs nearly perfectly which would be pretty much no wear on the clutch.

Oh, and the manual trans cars have a revlimiter too. Every modern car has a revlimiter..
Old 06-18-2007, 10:03 PM
Intermediate

Face it, the auto shift points on this car are bizarre. 5th gear at 35 mph?? Sheesh! Therefore I ALWAYS use SS unless I'm drinking coffee or something.

And yes, I have had the problem as pnoi521 where I am slowing to a stop in 3rd gear and want to downshift to 2nd because of a light change or something and the gear won't shift down. I usually have to slap the shifter 2 or 3 times or hold it there for a second or two.

Oh, and thanks for the tip about starting in "L". One of my biggest beefs is the car shifting from 1 to 2 on its own when I am still wanting that reserve of torque.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:10 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jetmaker
Face it, the auto shift points on this car are bizarre. 5th gear at 35 mph?? Sheesh! Therefore I ALWAYS use SS unless I'm drinking coffee or something.

And yes, I have had the problem as pnoi521 where I am slowing to a stop in 3rd gear and want to downshift to 2nd because of a light change or something and the gear won't shift down. I usually have to slap the shifter 2 or 3 times or hold it there for a second or two.

Oh, and thanks for the tip about starting in "L". One of my biggest beefs is the car shifting from 1 to 2 on its own when I am still wanting that reserve of torque.
I think you guys should've bought the manual. Seriously, I prefer manual but don't want to have my hands tied up shifting on my daily driver. You're already going to almost the same trouble to shift gears as a manual but without the benefits.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:29 AM
Not your moms TL.

i dont think my 07 shifts from 1-2 in ss mode...
Old 06-19-2007, 12:58 AM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
also it shifts to first to second only on 04-06 TL's
Originally Posted by Ac_Attack
Old 06-19-2007, 07:39 AM
Team SSM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
You are correct...it only shifts 1-2 automatically in SS mode for 04-06 TL's.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:48 AM
Advanced

Anyone else notice that their 07-S responds a little late/slow from 1st to 2nd when in SS mode?
Old 06-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Instructor

You just have to know how to beat the delay in sport mode

Starting out
-----------------
Shift to SS
From the start just Floor it.. and let her rip off the line
You will fly through 1st (but don't let up on the gas.. keep it floored)
You will auto-shift into 2nd gear but keep the pedal down until about 3k rpm
(you can ease up a bit on the gas half way)

As you near 60 mph (5500 - 6000 rpm) shift her into 3rd.
3rd is good until about 80 mph

Nail her into 4th near 80 mph.. then into 5th.. and chill

I forgot where the peak torque is.. 4500 rpm ?
Old 06-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Advanced

Does anyone know what the max speed should be in 3rd?
Old 06-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Team Owner

close to 100 in 3rd
the ds limit on gen2 is 96mph from 4 to 3 rd
Old 06-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Team Owner

The MT cars will find not a rev limiter- as some have already learned- but a speed limiter on top end- and thats based on what tires came on car!
Old 06-19-2007, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by azeemdadream
Does anyone know what the max speed should be in 3rd?

~110mph@7,000rpms

I've done this once and have only tried it once, and was able to shift out of third into fourth without bouncing off the limiter. The best part was once I hit fourth I was in v-tec and I noticed a minimal amount of lag.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jetmaker

If you forget to shift it will automatically shift for you even if you're in "L" try it, the knob will be in "L" but the car will operate normally.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Instructor

My Tranny Failure experience...

Hey guys,

I used to have '93 Ford taurus which was auto and i used to shift that stupid thing all the time...too hard to resist...anyhow, the tranny eventually busted after 3 yrs...mind you i moderately used the downshift to slow down with the brakes so I can tell you that is NOT a good idea as others have indicated....but I also down shifted to speed up....I mean what else is there to do?? Either you downshift to a lower gear to speed up or you downshift to a lower gear to slow down right??
Well after 3 years, the tranny dies....the first signs are Slipping converter....than constant slipping every 30 seconds...then clicking sounds.....finally, changing the gear shifter into reverse did not work....had to push the car back with left foot and door open then my first gear died....finally none of the gears worked and transmission fluid leaking everywhere i went...hahaha...my friends didnt allow me to park on their driveways!!

IT JUST HAD TO DIE AFTER WARRANTY!!! I followed the regular maintenance guide too!! Well I guess I was stupid because i didnt know that i was damaging the tranny so i deserved it

I know Honda's tranny's are miles more reliable than my old ford and the type S is probably meant to be shifted occasionally but i doubt it is meant to be shifted FULL time.

Moral here is....i think if you shift all the time you should at least expect more wear and tear....than if the computer does it....plus at the very least, the shifter knob and associated mechanicals would wear out faster then normal!!

So if you love shifting all the time, get a manual....but if you shift occasionally and with proper judgement....i guess it is ok?
Old 06-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Team Owner

The Taurus/Sables kept transmission shops in business in the 90s. I worked as a transmission mechanic in my early years and it was not uncommon for half of the cars to be a Taurus or Sable. Shifts were slow and sloppy which caused wear. On top of that, they were weak and broke hard parts. One of the worst trans ever made in it's early years.

The TL does not suffer from a weak tranny. You are most likely not going to break anything from driving it hard and shifting manually. Being that it's FWD, there's really not enough traction (or torque) to do any damage on street tires. What I was trying to say in my last post was just remember that anytime a shift occurs, wear occurs. If you always drive it manually and make 50% more shifts than it would normally make, it's going to wear out quicker. How much quicker I don't know.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:50 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

it doesn't , you are correct!
Old 06-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

all component's are going to wear out eventually , it's just a question of when!
Old 06-19-2007, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by 007TL-S
all component's are going to wear out eventually , it's just a question of when!

There's a '04TL with 114,000mi on this forum, and the tranny is still running strong.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Instructor

Smile your RIGHT!

Originally Posted by I hate cars
The Taurus/Sables kept transmission shops in business in the 90s. I worked as a transmission mechanic in my early years and it was not uncommon for half of the cars to be a Taurus or Sable. Shifts were slow and sloppy which caused wear. On top of that, they were weak and broke hard parts. One of the worst trans ever made in it's early years.

The TL does not suffer from a weak tranny. You are most likely not going to break anything from driving it hard and shifting manually. Being that it's FWD, there's really not enough traction (or torque) to do any damage on street tires. What I was trying to say in my last post was just remember that anytime a shift occurs, wear occurs. If you always drive it manually and make 50% more shifts than it would normally make, it's going to wear out quicker. How much quicker I don't know.
The Taurus had problems??? You dont say?!?! I had every problem in the world!! Everything broke...really made me loose confidence in Ford.
...after I got a Chevy Malibu which i also did shift...didnt learn my lesson anyhow this tranny seems to be broken even before i touched it....when i put it in neutral and coast to a stop (More often in Winter Time due to ice) just before i come to a stop the tranny goes THUNK!!! I thought it was just my malibu that did that so i rented a 2006 malibu and ...guess what it does the same thing!! Weird, the dealer says it is normal ?!?!?!

But whatever, back to the TLS Tranny, yeah if you shift it more it will most definitely wear out more and if you shift it full time you also get the wear in the shifter gate and shifter assembly and linkage too. I have total faith in Honda/Acura but the original posts was will this frequent shifting cos damage...and i dont think it will damage it (In moderation ofcourse) but it will increase the wear and tear like you've said....but what do i know, im coming from a ford taurus so im traumatized by auto trannies!
Old 06-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
The MT cars will find not a rev limiter- as some have already learned- but a speed limiter on top end- and thats based on what tires came on car!
ALL tires used on the TL are rated "W" or for sustained speeds of 165 MPH.

There is NO speed limiter on either 5AT or 6MT and no mention of one in Acura manuals.

There is a rev limiter on ALL TLs which IS referred to in the manuals. It will cut the fuel if you hit it.

Some here believe they have experienced a speed limiter- including a few magazine testers.

I have researched it and I contend that there is only a rev limiter as the car will never even approach 165 MPH unless you push it off a cliff and put an anvil in the trunk.

It will, however, do a little more than 150 under favorable conditions of road surface, weight, wind, and temperature. But, 150 in 4th (5AT) or 5th (6MT) will have you hitting the rev limiter and it will feel the same as a speed limiter. Shifting up will not get you any more speed as it has reached its drag limited top end.

That's my and my informed belief.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:26 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Xpditor
ALL tires used on the TL are rated "W" or for sustained speeds of 165 MPH.

There is NO speed limiter on either 5AT or 6MT and no mention of one in Acura manuals.

There is a rev limiter on ALL TLs which IS referred to in the manuals. It will cut the fuel if you hit it.

Some here believe they have experienced a speed limiter- including a few magazine testers.

I have researched it and I contend that there is only a rev limiter as the car will never even approach 165 MPH unless you push it off a cliff and put an anvil in the trunk.

It will, however, do a little more than 150 under favorable conditions of road surface, weight, wind, and temperature. But, 150 in 4th (5AT) or 5th (6MT) will have you hitting the rev limiter and it will feel the same as a speed limiter. Shifting up will not get you any more speed as it has reached its drag limited top end.

That's my and my informed belief.

First, I will concede, without qualification, that you know more about this than I do.

But, please explain the following for me:

TLFourplay posted 3 videos of his top speed runs on the Autoban. All TL-S 6MT.

2 videos with 5th gear pulls hit the rev limiter (i.e. "fuel cut off") at ~152 MPH on the speedo and Redline RPM

How then did the 6th gear pull hit the "rev limiter" at well under the redline but at the same ~152 MPH?

After watching those videos, are you sure there is not a "top speed limiter" at ~152 MPH?
Old 06-20-2007, 01:05 AM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
haha..that made me laugh, anyways
I use SS every now and then..as long as you don't abuse it on a normal basis you'll be fine! Plus, even if you're not-you have that Warranty
Old 06-20-2007, 07:48 AM
Something is missing...my

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
First, I will concede, without qualification, that you know more about this than I do.

But, please explain the following for me:

TLFourplay posted 3 videos of his top speed runs on the Autoban. All TL-S 6MT.

2 videos with 5th gear pulls hit the rev limiter (i.e. "fuel cut off") at ~152 MPH on the speedo and Redline RPM

How then did the 6th gear pull hit the "rev limiter" at well under the redline but at the same ~152 MPH?

After watching those videos, are you sure there is not a "top speed limiter" at ~152 MPH?
So, to my knowledge, Honda has never governed speed on any vehicle (maybe the SUV's). But if 152 is rev limited in 5th, I am not sure if 6th could overcome the drag, and this may be why there is no more acceleration in the videos you referenced. Haven't seen them . . . But if I was to, I would look and listen for fuel cutout in 6th. Only way 6th would overcome drag, IMO, is with SC. Does TLFourplay have one?
Old 06-20-2007, 08:55 AM
Instructor

I usually drive in SS to try and save some gas b/c I shift right as the tach reaches 2000 rpms...while in auto, i noticed the TL usually shifts around 2500-3000rpms. I like to think that i'm saving gas by shifting 500-1000rpms earlier so I'm in lower gears for a shorter amount of time. Whether it actually helps or not..who knows, but it gives me peace of mind so who cares, right?
Old 06-20-2007, 09:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rimz
yep...same here...wife hates it when i SS because 1) she thinks i'm TRYING to drive a stick (since i don't really know how) 2) she likes to hold my hand when i want to SS instead...it's funner...
Hahahhaaha! I love it!!
Old 06-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Instructor

Another thing... I don't use the SS all the time because I simply can't stand the 2nd to 3rd gear shifts. TOO DAMN SLUGGISH. It's not like a manual tranny where I know what gear I'm in without having to look down. With the SS I constantly have to see "okay did it 'accept' my shift?" I've gotten much better at it but it's still annoying.

I wish the SS worked like the TL Type-S that was given to me as a loaner... MUCH quicker response times, and much better control... it even lets you downshift to 1st gear! Oh and those paddle shifters... *drool*

Quick Reply: Does regularly using Sport Shift damage the transmission?