3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone know how the TPMS will work in the 2006 TL?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 12:55 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know how the TPMS will work in the 2006 TL?

The upcoming 2006 TL is supposed to have a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS).

Does anyone know how it will work, e.g. sensors in the tire valves, monitoring of the tire revolution frequency, etc.?

Thanks.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
No information has been released on it. We will have to wait and see.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:37 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Try to use the search button...here is the link to a BIG thread started last week giving you your anwser...

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/sea-cucumber-122517/
Old 09-15-2005, 10:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
It is direct system. Readings for each tire will be in the MID. Got that from www.hondanews.com.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So hopefully just a module and valve stem sensors that can be plugged in
Old 09-15-2005, 11:08 PM
Intermediate

Tire Indicator

Does anyone have experience with these inexpensive tire pressure indicator, such as the ones shown here http://shop.store.yahoo.com/eagleday/vitiprin.html
?
Old 09-15-2005, 11:12 PM
Suzuka Master

There actually not supposed to be that bad(not sure on that brand). I do however think they look incredably ugly, are slightly hard to check at high speeds(or any speed for that matter, especially with Centrifugal force coming into effect, so even if you had a strobe... Bla bla bla) and would get stolen in a second. I woud only buy ones from an actual auto store as they most likely carry the better ones. My concern would be that since it is excepting pressure to push out the indicator it must be pushing down the little thingie in the valve stem, so if you break it, you may leak, and leaks are no good.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:49 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Heidi
Does anyone have experience with these inexpensive tire pressure indicator, such as the ones shown here http://shop.store.yahoo.com/eagleday/vitiprin.html
?

I would not waist your money..

I had a couple of sets from Auto Zone a year or so ago for the wifes SUV. They actually worked great for about 4-6 months but at that point the spring etc inside "got sprung", IE accustomed to the pressure..... The tire pressure would literally have to get down to about 18-20 psi before the color would change reflecting a "low" situation. (rather than at 2 psi intervals)

I paid $10 for each set of 4... As mentioned, worked great but not for the long haul.. Just so ya know they are very lite... Many folks figured they would through off your wheel balance etc. I did however have the tires balanced with the caps installed at my first scheduled rotation.

They are kinda fuggly also - but not bad next to a big SUV tire/rim. They would stick out like a sore thumb on the TL - my humble opinion...

Just a little first hand info

Cheers
Old 09-16-2005, 12:56 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Rexorg
It is direct system. Readings for each tire will be in the MID. Got that from www.hondanews.com.
Hmmm ... here is what I found there:

"New for 2006, the TL is equipped with a direct Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). Using a series of four sensors and four initiators (one for each tire) and a receiver to capture and relay information, the system alerts the driver when it detects that tire pressure in one or more tires drops significantly below the recommended pressure."

That doesn't really tell me there will be a display of each tire's pressure in the MID. It could very well mean a simple warning will be displayed if any of the tires is low, after which you'll have to figure out which one it is.

Interestingly, there is some bitching on the Infiniti M site about its system , which does display a graphic with four tires and the pressure for each one. The reason is that when the tires are rotated, the dealer often has to re-initiate each sender so it knows which posiiton it is at on the car. It's not a biggie to me, but some of the other owners don't like having to go to the dealer once a year for this.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Suzuka Master

With 4 recievers the senders would not need to be reset. If a car is using one central reciever they would. I believe Acura uses short range senders and recievers, so whichever tire is by the corresponding reciever, is the one that is being monitored on that axle. I am gonna email my local dealer about this.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:57 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by crazymjb
With 4 recievers the senders would not need to be reset. If a car is using one central reciever they would. I believe Acura uses short range senders and recievers, so whichever tire is by the corresponding reciever, is the one that is being monitored on that axle. I am gonna email my local dealer about this.
Wrong. The Infiniti M has 4 senders (one in each valve stem) and 4 receivers (one in each wheelwell).

When I changed wheels on my M, the sensors had to be re-initiated by the dealer. I watched, and the tech had to go into the on-board computer, then touch an instrument to each valve stem in sequence to tell each one "where it was".
Old 09-17-2005, 08:12 PM
Suzuka Master

then why have 4 recievers?
Old 09-17-2005, 10:01 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

Only one TPMS receiver on the TL system

If you follow this link (posted by Acurary) there is a video clip of the system that the TL will use.

http://www.entire-solution.com/productsnew.htm

The video indicates that the TL will use ONE receiver with 4 wheel sensors and 4 initiators. The initiators are stationery in each wheel well, while the sensors are mounted on the valve stem.

The 4 Initiators are connected to the TPMS controller which instructs each wheel sensor in turn, when to transmit its data. This way not all sensors transmit at the same time. The receiver then knows which wheel is transmitting so it won't matter if you rotate the tires. The sensors can all be the same since they do not have to transmit a unique ID stream.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Thats pretty cool. Is that the exact system the TL will use? Also, it looked like the ECU it comes with can be plugged in, so hopefully this is a viable add on. Do the initiators use batteries too? Or are those hard wired?
Old 09-18-2005, 02:26 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Crazy:
I don't know the exact system the TL will use. I should make it clear that this is how I THINK it works based on their presentation. I'd suggest you get on Entire's web page, find an email link and request some info and ask if they can provide the parts to retrofit the 05 TL and let them know we want more details on the system that the TL will use.

My guess is that the initiators are powered from the ECU unit. Initiators must be low power directional transmitters so that only the wheel sensor adjacent the initiator can receive the transmission causing only that wheel sensor to transmit data. If more than 2 wheels were to receive a transmission then 2 wheels could send data at the same time. The only reason I can envision the need for the initiators is if all the wheel sensors are identical. If they were not identical and had a unique code, then the ECU/Receiver should be able to address each wheel independantly eliminating the need for initiators. Do you follow my thinking ?

I might be dead wrong and these days with CPU power so cheaply available in micro packages it wouldn't be any big deal to embed a unique code in an eprom for each wheel sensor but that would likely put the price of each sensor up unnecessarily and complicate the system.

Do you know if the system is supposed to have temerature and pressure monitoring ?
Old 09-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Suzuka Master

From what the video says it seems like it, but that is all I know. I am waiting on a response from my acura dealership.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:00 AM
AcurAdmirer

FWIW, here's how the display in my Infiniti M45 looks. (Not a good pic, but you get the idea.)

IMO this is the most informative way to display tire pressure, but it's also one of the more expensive systems out there. Of course, it also has a warning light that appears in the instrument cluster along with a chime in the event pressure drops below safe levels.

Old 09-19-2005, 02:34 PM
Suzuka Master

It would probably cost about the same if they gave us a software update for the NAVI and used a special PC card(there is a slot). I personally like it displayed in the MID, although I would like to be able to check it on the navi too.