3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does AEM CAI help with gas in the following situations....

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 01:42 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does AEM CAI help with gas in the following situations....

1.) regular driving (cai vs stock which saves more gas)
2.) GUNNING IT STEPPING ON IT WOT (cai vs stock which saves more gas)

interesting question in my opinion but probably not to some, if the cai supposedly does save gas with regular driving (does it?) does it still save gas when it is gunned? since a LOT more air is going through. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:34 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
1- might save a little, but I seriously doubt it as OEM intakes are not that restrictive
2- definitely will not since the engine is getting more air (in theory) requireing more fuel to burn normal...

The real trick to a power increase with a cold-air intake doesn't really have to do with the "cold air" aspect at all (since the engine bay is filled with cold air when your moving). It's a tuned length of pipe that helps fill the cylinder. The pipe length causes pressure waves reflecting from intake valves to work together to create a high-pressure zone when the valves open again. This "tuned length" effect only happens within a certain rpm window. The longer pipe of a "cold air intake" is designed to work in the midrange where the customer can enjoy the effect more often.

PS: filling the cylinders more will also require more fuel making for worse fuel economy. Plus you will be more inclined to "step on it" to feel the effects...
Old 05-18-2007, 02:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 94eg!
PS: filling the cylinders more will also require more fuel making for worse fuel economy. Plus you will be more inclined to "step on it" to feel the effects...

that's the key part right there. more air coming in, requires more fuel. i think it's basically a wash, you dont get better fuel economy because you're putting more air in the engine, which requires more fuel.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:59 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Originally Posted by gunner252
that's the key part right there. more air coming in, requires more fuel. i think it's basically a wash, you dont get better fuel economy because you're putting more air in the engine, which requires more fuel.

Keep in mind your only getting this effect when the throttle is open wide. If your regulating the throttle to maintain a speed (and I hope you are), you will only suck as much air as you need to stay moving. This results in using the same amount of air & fuel as before unless the OEM intake is really restrictive. In my experience, Honda's intake systems are quite efficient from the get go (and usually suck cold air anyways).

3G TL intake for comparison:

Also, OEM style paper filters actually FILTER much better than any performance filter (they just require changes instead of washes). Even if they are slightly more restrictive than performance filters and cost more in the long run, I would much prefer great filtration over performance on my daily-driver.

But if you want more power for a street-car, a cold air intake is a good choice...
Old 05-18-2007, 03:06 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
it depends on if the additional power generated exceeds the additional fuel consumed. You cant just say it uses more fuel so therefor it's worse mileage...

I think that a normal acceleration will benefit from the CAI (mileage wise), but a WOT wont. The fact that you'll be more tempted to accelerate aggresively will lead to worse mileage.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:08 PM
RAR

Keep in mind your only getting this effect when the throttle is open wide. If your regulating the throttle to maintain a speed (and I hope you are), you will only suck as much air as you need to stay moving. This results in using the same amount of air & fuel as before unless the OEM intake is really restrictive. In my experience, Honda's intake systems are quite efficient from the get go (and usually suck cold air anyways).

3G TL intake for comparison:

Also, OEM style paper filters actually FILTER much better than any performance filter (they just require changes instead of washes). Even if they are slightly more restrictive than performance filters and cost more in the long run, I would much prefer great filtration over performance on my daily-driver.

But if you want more power for a street-car, a cold air intake is a good choice...
I would say its more constrictive because of that filter/chamber alone...
Old 05-18-2007, 03:15 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Originally Posted by leedogg
I would say its more constrictive because of that filter/chamber alone...
The filter "chamber" can actually create a high-pressure reservoir when the throttle is suddenly closed & opened between shifts. This can help engine response in WOT situations after the motor has just been knocked on it's ass from changing gears. Of course the paper element is more restrictive hurting WOT performance too...
Old 05-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know when I put on the AEM CAI, my mileage went up 2 MPG under NORMAL acceleration. But since it sounds awesome, do I rarely use NORMAL acceleration. Right now I average high 20-21 MPG.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by dragonlord
I know when I put on the AEM CAI, my mileage went up 2 MPG under NORMAL acceleration. But since it sounds awesome, do I rarely use NORMAL acceleration. Right now I average high 20-21 MPG.
Pretty much my experience, as well. But it sounds sooooo gooooood...
Old 05-18-2007, 03:22 PM
RAR

The filter "chamber" can actually create a high-pressure reservoir when the throttle is suddenly closed & opened between shifts. This can help engine response in WOT situations after the motor has just been knocked on it's ass from changing gears. Of course the paper element is more restrictive hurting WOT performance too...
maybe if you took that filter out, it could function as a high pressure resevoir...
Old 05-18-2007, 03:26 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Pretty much my experience, as well. But it sounds sooooo gooooood...
You can really hear those intake valves wail when VTEC switches to the "high" cam...
Old 05-18-2007, 03:28 PM
RAR

so basically with a cai, you have a better fuel/power curve, but you also have a higher fuel/power curve.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:32 PM
now with four rings

FYI, i average between 22-25mpg under 'normal' driving...21-22mpg under 'normal' driving and WOT every now and then...

by the way, i just got my UR pulley put on and it sounds even better (slightly louder, deeper sound) mixed with the CAI when VTEC kicks in....freakin' love it...

and welcome to AZ...
Old 05-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
An engine is basically a big air pump. A CAI allows the engine to breathe easier. It doesn't have to do as much to take in as much air. So yes your MPG will improve. However, if you are always on the gas b/c you love the sound of your intake your MPG will suffer.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:43 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
An engine is basically a big air pump. A CAI allows the engine to breathe easier. It doesn't have to do as much to take in as much air. So yes your MPG will improve. However, if you are always on the gas b/c you love the sound of your intake your MPG will suffer.
I don't know all of this technical mumbo jumbo, but my MPG has increased since putting on that pretty blue AEM CAI! However, my rpms have as well!

Oh well...I live in my world...and I play in Acura's!
Old 05-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Racer

Cooler intake air allows the engine to run at greater thermal efficiency (= better mileage), with everything else being equal.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
well, doesn't the AEM CAI work like the K&N filters. THey allow better air flow so the engine can breate easier, therefore increasing power and MPG
Old 05-20-2007, 01:21 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Originally Posted by csmeance
well, doesn't the AEM CAI work like the K&N filters. THey allow better air flow so the engine can breate easier, therefore increasing power and MPG
Yes at the sacrifice of filtration effiecency. A K&N doesn't filter very well until it collects a bunch dirt (& the dirt becomes oil-soaked). At that point it only flows as well as a regular paper filter. It is my opinion that you are sacrificing your engines health for a few extra ponies...
Old 05-20-2007, 10:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Yes at the sacrifice of filtration effiecency. A K&N doesn't filter very well until it collects a bunch dirt (& the dirt becomes oil-soaked). At that point it only flows as well as a regular paper filter. It is my opinion that you are sacrificing your engines health for a few extra ponies...
but the AEM filter does a fantastic job though, being as good as the oem one.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:32 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Originally Posted by csmeance
but the AEM filter does a fantastic job though, being as good as the oem one.
If it lets more air in, it also lets more dirt in. Thats just how they work. I'm not telling you not to buy a performance filter, I'm just pointing this out...

I do agree that AEM's new dry-flow filter is great, as I have one on the end of a 6" velocity stack in my Type-R powered Civic. I use it on that particular vehicle because it is not a daily driver and I'm going for max performance. Also, I wouldn't mind rebuilding that engine myself some day...