3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you warm your engine up in the morning?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 06:54 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by chairguru22
I don't warm up too long, less than a minute.

If you think about it, the car moves on it's own when you are in Drive without applying gas/throttle. So you might as well just cruise at the low speeds out of your driveway or out of the parking lot. The engine is already moving the car whether you are in Park or Drive. By that time you should be warmed up to temp and ready to go. You will be more efficient this way.
+1

i warm it up for 1 min
Old 03-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by IBFStyles
Just so you know the amount of CO that actually comes out of the tailpipe in a modern "fuel injected" vehicle is probably not enough to kill someone in 5 - 10 minutes in a garage. But more like upwards of an hour.

I fell asleep in my car after closing the garage door while waiting for a song to end on the radio. This was after a day of digging trenches. Engine was left running for over 40 minutes. My girlfriend happened to stop by and kicked the crap out of me thinking I was trying to kill myself which was funny after I recovered. I know 40 minutes won't kill a 220lb adult.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
be glad the car has a good cabin air filtration system!!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I vote for 45-120 seconds warm up before driving,,,~1-2 minutes
Let the oil pressure build- stabilize, and wake up all the moving parts with a nice slippery bath before putting them to work
Old 03-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i generally don't have much time in the morning. i give it a minute or so, then i'm on my way.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Under Pressure

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
I vote for 45-120 seconds warm up before driving,,,~1-2 minutes
Let the oil pressure build- stabilize, and wake up all the moving parts with a nice slippery bath before putting them to work
Well put. +1
Old 03-10-2009, 04:37 AM
Advanced

Am I the only person who read the story of the man who wrote a suicide note in his kitchen and started his car in his garage. He sat in there for 2 hours in a late model CTS. His wife had gotten home and read the note. She called an ambulence before she ran into the garage only to find he was still completely fine.

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Don't say silly things like this.
Originally Posted by PeterUbers

CO is measured by co-oximetry off arterial blood sampling and is measured as amount of CO per unit blood volume. If you left a healthy baby in a car seat (much smaller blood volume than an adult) you could kill that child, OR bare minimum, after 10 minutes, cause serious, irreparable neurologic damage. Adults with pre-existing respiratory/pulmonary medical problems (i.e. COPD/emphysema/bronchitis, chronic respiratory issues,etc) have lower oxygenation reserve and are therefore more prone to suffering significantly from 10 "safe" minutes of CO from your modern, fuel injected car. Oxygenation binds preferentially to red blood cells over oxygenation... but you know all this cuz you're a doc, or you googled it. Please don't argue this, as your post somehow rationalized and minimized the concern for 10 minutes of CO exposure... I'm sure you're correct that modern cars vs. older cars have less CO emissions.

I vote that the MODS erase your comment, as we don't need unsustantiated, medically unsafe kitchen-table conjecture like this on our board.

No offense at all,
Old 03-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Am I the only person who read the story of the man who wrote a suicide note in his kitchen and started his car in his garage. He sat in there for 2 hours in a late model CTS. His wife had gotten home and read the note. She called an ambulence before she ran into the garage only to find he was still completely fine.

[LEFT]
Stories not withstanding, it is still an irresponsible thing to post when you don't know all the factors involved.

Care and prudence are still required when warming up your car in an enclosed area.

I was considering editing or deleting your post, but there is sufficient explanatory information posted to inform people that, even though modern cars produce less emissions, care is still the watchword.

There are many cases of people succumbing to carbon monoxide poisoning when using auxiliary generators when the power goes out due to storms or other events. We understand that generators do not have the emission control devices that cars have, but even so, the threat is still present from automobiles, so don't push it and consider the fact that not everyone has the same tolerance as the person in the news article that was posted.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ron you put into words what I was thinkin.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ron A
Stories not withstanding, it is still an irresponsible thing to post when you don't know all the factors involved.

Care and prudence are still required when warming up your car in an enclosed area.

I was considering editing or deleting your post, but there is sufficient explanatory information posted to inform people that, even though modern cars produce less emissions, care is still the watchword.

There are many cases of people succumbing to carbon monoxide poisoning when using auxiliary generators when the power goes out due to storms or other events. We understand that generators do not have the emission control devices that cars have, but even so, the threat is still present from automobiles, so don't push it and consider the fact that not everyone has the same tolerance as the person in the news article that was posted.
You're right and I understand your point. My point is just that it's amazing how clean these cars are. I don't remember the exact stats but it was something like portable generators/lawnmower engines produce over 20x more pollution than a ULEV car.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Man of God.....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Nope! My Baby sleeps in a heated garage. So He never see's below 50 f . Now at work however. It See's aplenty "o" cold. This winter He saw -35 below zero. That day I ran (idled) Him for 30- 40 seconds. Love my AMSOIL 0w-20!! He was ready to go. I love the way the water is run to the heater core 1st. He is throwing heat in like 2 or 3 blocks! Can't ask for more when you live in Minnesota!!
Old 03-10-2009, 11:13 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Perhaps 30 seconds for the nav and mid to come to life...and thats about it. Usually about the time "ok" hits the Navi screen I am hitting reverse.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ron A

lmao... well either way. I stated from the beginning that 5-10 minutes is more than unlikely to kill someone is all. I'm not asking anyone to do it. I'm just saying that it's 2009 not 1988.

I mean you would probably die without any cats whatsoever. But seriously I didn't need a mod to swing by and lay down the law lmao.

Last edited by IBFStyles; 03-10-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:43 PM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lmao... well either way. I stated from the beginning that 5-10 minutes is more than unlikely to kill someone is all. I'm not asking anyone to do it. I'm just saying that it's 2009 not 1988.

I mean you would probably die without any cats whatsoever. But seriously I didn't need a mod to swing by and lay down the law lmao.
and who said anything about killing someone?
can you not read?

I said enjoy your carbon monoxide poisoning.

did I say enjoy dying? no, no I did not.

opening your garage door does little. you think it sucks all of the emissions
out of the garage like a vacuum? hardly. most of it soaks up into the home.
if you don't believe me, go buy a CO detector and try it out for yourself.

running any car in any garage for any length of time is just plain stupid.
end of story.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Advanced

lol wow.

So mechanics are all brain dead AMIRITE?

Because cars run in a garage all day? Get real.

Originally Posted by MMsTSX
can you not read?

end of story.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MMsTSX
can you not read?

end of story.
Over reacting a little???

You're not going to hurt a thing idling your TL in the garage for a few minutes even with the door closed.

If you wanted to commit suicide by TL exhaust poisoning, you better set aside a couple hours.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:00 AM
Advanced

i wake up in the morning brush my teeth walk to the garage and turn on my car it takes Me like 30 min to get ready eat breakfast and leave by then it should be warm enough to get to school because I never give my self enough time to drive to school so I floor it all the way up there lol 15 min drive doing speed limit 5 min drive going through semi red lights and hitting 80 on a 40 I'm still shocked when I get to school at the time it takes Me
Old 03-12-2009, 06:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Old 03-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Safety Car

i like to sit with my nose in the muffler tip inhaling fumes..... dont judge me
Old 03-12-2009, 08:46 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
i like to sit with my nose in the muffler tip inhaling fumes..... dont judge me
It's better with precat deletes...and leaded race gas....

Maybe that's what's wrong with me.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Safety Car

Lmao!!!! U too bro!? Niicccccee! I got the precats too Since I installed them i start the car in really cold weather to get those extra fumes lol
Old 03-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Since my car sits for 2-3 days without being driven when I start it up I let it run to make sure the parts are lubed.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Safety Car

yup u just need it to get the oil moving around.....u can literally hear the car go to idle... mine stays at 1200 for a few secs then slowly drops to 1000 then once it hits the first line it drops to 800 and once the temp needle hits begins to move it drops to 750-800 and its ready
Old 03-13-2009, 10:54 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by samdrvsatl
i wake up in the morning brush my teeth walk to the garage and turn on my car it takes Me like 30 min to get ready eat breakfast and leave by then it should be warm enough to get to school because I never give my self enough time to drive to school so I floor it all the way up there lol 15 min drive doing speed limit 5 min drive going through semi red lights and hitting 80 on a 40 I'm still shocked when I get to school at the time it takes Me