3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you need Black Plastic Covers on your engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 09:05 PM
Photoshops, and Polls!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
The covers dress up the engine. Easier to clean the covers than the nooks and crannies of the engine.

thank you for bringing the thread back to topic
Old 04-01-2007, 10:03 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i removed all my covers except the one nearest to the front of the car since it acts as a spacer in btw the hood, it reduces the need for it to rattle while driving..the covers really dont do much other then "cover" up the engine bay and re-direct the noise toward the floor..i dont think it would pose any harm either way..with or without them..jus may seem a little bit louder without them and may let some heat escape since heat rises and without those covers the air can move more freely
Old 04-02-2007, 06:14 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GunnmeTaLCURA04
hey road rage...

since we are discussing engine parts right now.. i been thinking of something that the salesman at the dealer said that i HAVE NEVVEERRR heard anyone here talk about.

He said that our engine mounts are built so that if were ever got in an accident head on, that they will like dismount or just do something so that engine will fall on floor instdead of crushing in the cabin.. now i was ok. cool dont care since i dont plan on trying it out.. but is this true or what.. now he said that it only happens if an EXTREME head first collision i asume going at 80 or 90 mph or more.. dont know.. but what you think.
My dept had an evo crash a few monthes back. 100+ closure speed i which it crashed into an F150. The car was crushed beyond belief. The inpact bent the fords frame upward to the point that where the bed and cab met had 4-6 inches of space at the top and were touching at the bottom. The evo faired even worse. The motor in that car dropped down and was basicly below the area roughly between the front seats.
Was this caused from fall away motor mounts? was it from the high hitting ford? Beats me. It was impressive to see the safety engineering save more lives however.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:50 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
wow this thread is like 3 years old lol
Old 04-06-2012, 11:49 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wanted to add something to this thread that was not mentioned in the thread despite it being in hibernation since 2007. These shields will trap and create excessive heat underneath them that will slowly bake electrical harnesses and make them brittle. Anything plastic will also become brittle from excessive heat cycling. Injector connectors, electrical plugs and vacuum lines will wear out and get hard/brittle quicker than without the plastic shields, as the air cannot circulate. The shields are there for marketing purposes, as the driving public is becoming more and more ignorant about the complexities of automobiles, and it allows the automaker's engineers to design without any aesthetics being involved, i.e the engine can be ugly because we will just "put a plastic cover over it". There is some noise suppression prvided by the covers (some sounds I did not hear before I removed the covers). Personally I think the V6 engine in the TL is a nice looking motor so I do not see the reason to keep all but the cover near antifreeze bottle. The effects of the shields probably are not seen till after 100K miles, but guaranteed the vacuum lines and wires will bake. Not to mention that extreme heat inherently cause electrical resistance.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:38 AM
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
My dealership told me they help with aerodynamics - any air that goes into the hood goes above them and out of the front cowl onto the windshield.