3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Video: Uninstalling OEM Intake & Installing Cold Air Intake 3G Garage #B-001

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Back after 1 Year!

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron A
As usual, super thread. Who's your director?

Added to the 3G Garage.
I am
Old 11-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by AsianTL
sandiegodrive,

You are the man,.
I wish someone do the DIY video for RL.
AsianTL, the install is very similar in the RL other than that we don't have to remove rivets like the TL guys do, we have screws. We RL owners are lucky in that regard because it makes it a bit easier to go back to stock.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:53 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JaronJosephGama
SDdrive and i did the CAI install in my car (the car in the DIY video). Yes i had the engine light turn on, but after a few hours or so it turned off. SDdrive warned me about that and said that it was normal. i dont think its anything to worry about!
how is the CAI, Jaron?
Old 11-03-2007, 01:48 AM
JARON

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by enigmaos
how is the CAI, Jaron?
oh man, i love it!
Old 11-03-2007, 07:08 AM
Racer

Finally got to watch the video....work wouldn't let me open it...Awesome video very detailed. I could of used this when I was installing mine.

Evader I'll PM you
Old 11-03-2007, 09:55 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by sandiegodrive
The first time I ever installed a AEM CAI was on my last 3G TL it was an 05'. It took 3 hours w/ the bumper on

So then I removed my front bumper which takes about 10 minutes and I did it in 55 minutes. Yeah, I found it easier. It was a pain without the bumper off for me.

But props for doing the uninstall and install w/ the bumper on . I've done it and it was a pain.
Yeah it was a pain, I was just being lazy
Old 11-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Wake up and drive

First of all I am very noooob to the engine modification. So a really silly question; watching the video it seemed like the factory intake was sucking in air from the same spot where you have your CAI's filter behind the bumper. And what are some of the pros and cons of having a CAI?
Old 11-05-2007, 11:50 PM
Back after 1 Year!

Originally Posted by TL-ed
First of all I am very noooob to the engine modification. So a really silly question; watching the video it seemed like the factory intake was sucking in air from the same spot where you have your CAI's filter behind the bumper. And what are some of the pros and cons of having a CAI?
As far as I know the air is not sucked in from the same spot and the CAI produces more horsepower as well as sometimes improving gas mileage. Oh and THE SOUND!
Old 11-06-2007, 08:06 AM
Racer

the air being sucked up through the CAI is less restricted than OEM
Old 11-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Igor911
Why did you take off the bumper? I managed to install my AEM CAI without removal of the bumper on my Type S
Impossible. There is no way to remove the resonator without removing the bumper.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by joerockt
Impossible. There is no way to remove the resonator without removing the bumper.
Is this on the type S or all TLs??

Because I installed mine, 06 TL, just by removing the driver side front wheel and not the bumper.....
Old 11-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by leopwr
Is this on the type S or all TLs??

Because I installed mine, 06 TL, just by removing the driver side front wheel and not the bumper.....
I did mine on an 08 Type-S and there are two bolts to remove the resonator. It is impossible to get to one of the bolts without removing the bumper.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Back after 1 Year!

I did mine on an 08 Type-S and there are two bolts to remove the resonator. It is impossible to get to one of the bolts without removing the bumper.
LOL, well I managed to do it on my last 3G (05'), but I did get it out, sorta ripping it out though. I later learned as you can tell by the video's that removing the front bumper makes it A LOT easier.

So no its not impossible, just the BIGGEST pain in the @$$!
Old 11-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Wake up and drive

Thanks for answering the first question, another noob question; having the air filter that low how do you replace the air filter? whats the time interval? True there is more horsepower and better sound but is it bad for the engine in anyway?
Old 11-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Back after 1 Year!

Thanks for answering the first question, another noob question; having the air filter that low how do you replace the air filter? whats the time interval? True there is more horsepower and better sound but is it bad for the engine in anyway?
Air filter lasts 1,000,000 miles as I recall. You only need to clean it when it gets dirtish which depending where you drive is evry 25,000 miles or so. No big. Bumper takes about 10 minutes to remove.

Not bad for the engine in anyway, as a matter of fact because the cold air going into the engine contains more oxygen the gas burns cleaner

Someone correct me if I'm wrong
Old 11-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Team Nighthawk member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome video. It has given me the confidence to tackle the job this weekend!!
Old 11-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Escaped from Galvatraz

Just did the install on a AEM with the help of the video's. The only difference I found was the mounting point. Instead of moving the grounding wires and placing the mount there, you need to remove a headlight wire tie down and bolt the mounting there.

On a side note, the instructions mentioned if you moved a sensor to the CIA you would gain added power, but not be able to pass a CARB. would this hurt the engine in any way?

*Edit - forgot to mention that the install was on a '06 TL*
Old 11-06-2007, 05:29 PM
Just dial 1911

LOL, well I managed to do it on my last 3G (05'), but I did get it out, sorta ripping it out though. I later learned as you can tell by the video's that removing the front bumper makes it A LOT easier.

So no its not impossible, just the BIGGEST pain in the @$$!
So how did you get to the 2nd bolt??? Or did you just break it off??
Old 11-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Back after 1 Year!

So how did you get to the 2nd bolt??? Or did you just break it off??
I honestly don't remember

It was 2 1/2 years ago and dark in there. I do recall using brute force for some parts.

Yeah probably pulled it off with force.

Originally Posted by Galvatraz_TL
Just did the install on a AEM with the help of the video's. The only difference I found was the mounting point. Instead of moving the grounding wires and placing the mount there, you need to remove a headlight wire tie down and bolt the mounting there.

On a side note, the instructions mentioned if you moved a sensor to the CIA you would gain added power, but not be able to pass a CARB. would this hurt the engine in any way?

*Edit - forgot to mention that the install was on a '06 TL*
I won't hurt the engine, its fine.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Just dial 1911

Naaa, I dont buy that. Its a pretty decent sized bolt surrounded by some thick plastic.

Whatever...

Nice DIY btw...
Old 11-12-2007, 02:00 AM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I've followed the video to install my Fujita CAI and everything was going smoothly until I got to the part where you supposed to put the rubber tube between your CAI and the throttle body.

The rubber tube I've got from the package didn't seem to fit, it was too small.
I've got this Fujita CAI from a vender here, what can I do now? I've spent over half a day trying to jam it through, but no luck....my hands and back hurt....
Old 11-12-2007, 02:02 AM
Back after 1 Year!

^ I'm sorry to hear that bro!

That rubber tubing should fit right in.

Contact the vendor and see what he can do.

EDIT: Not saying you already did this but one end of that rubber tubing is wider then the other end so try flipping it too.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:55 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Even though I had my CAI installed years ago but I am sure this video will benefit many TL'rs that are thinking of putting one in. Thanks for this informative video. Your the man!!!!

I would love to see a vid on clearing out the front lights.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:52 AM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
one end of that rubber tubing is wider then the other end so try flipping it too.
I've noticed that, the wider side should go on the CAI, but both sides still were very tight not matter how hard I stretched.
I saw your video and you were able to just slide it through the pipe easily, mine wasn't even close to that.

I've PMed the vender, let's see what he say.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:38 AM
B A N N E D

Just goto home depot and buy a new fitting...they are like 99 cents. Look in the piping section
Old 11-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome DIY! +Faved
Old 12-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Intermediate

I know this a month late but great video. Its going to help me out a lot. One quick question though, in the instruction manual it says to drain 1 gallon of the coolant (I found this weird) and you dont mention it in the video at all. Is it necessary? I know its not a pain to drain it but I would rather not if I dont have to.

Once again, great video.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Back after 1 Year!

Arrow

Originally Posted by emartins
I know this a month late but great video. Its going to help me out a lot. One quick question though, in the instruction manual it says to drain 1 gallon of the coolant (I found this weird) and you dont mention it in the video at all. Is it necessary? I know its not a pain to drain it but I would rather not if I dont have to.

Once again, great video.
*Disclaimer* I personally never have before and don't ever plan to.

When you remove one of the hoses a little fluid will come out, but to catch that little bit of fluid I just grabbed an empty water bottle and let whatever DID come out just go in there.

Oh and thanks for the comments on the video
Old 01-01-2008, 06:07 PM
DMB!

Thanks San Diago... put on an AEM over the weekend with my dad, he's not much into the internet but he did think it was cool that some stranger would post vids just to help others out.

We took the nose off and the battery, never would have attempted the nose off without the vid, made it really easy.

On the stock intake off vid, on my type "S" there is a small mount for a piece of tubing directly under the battery tray, i didn't have a lift but was barely able to get a small 10mm on it from under the plate while standing above... it's a pain, ramps or a lift would make it easier i suppose.

no need to remove a gallon of coolant... just catch it in a paper cup about 12 ounces will come out.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:46 AM
Back after 1 Year!

Originally Posted by S2000 GUY
Thanks San Diago... put on an AEM over the weekend with my dad, he's not much into the internet but he did think it was cool that some stranger would post vids just to help others out.

We took the nose off and the battery, never would have attempted the nose off without the vid, made it really easy.

On the stock intake off vid, on my type "S" there is a small mount for a piece of tubing directly under the battery tray, i didn't have a lift but was barely able to get a small 10mm on it from under the plate while standing above... it's a pain, ramps or a lift would make it easier i suppose.

no need to remove a gallon of coolant... just catch it in a paper cup about 12 ounces will come out.
I'm really glad to hear that it helped you and your dad out

As far as that mount for a piece of tubing, I'm not really sure what your refering to since you said its under the battery tray

I must have not noticed it since I didn't remove the battery during my install.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:25 AM
DMB!

ha... I'll bet it's still there.

It only holds on a small piece of tubing maybe 6" long...
Old 01-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Intermediate

Wait to clean the filter you have to take the bumper off?
Old 01-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by scturborr
Wait to clean the filter you have to take the bumper off?
No, just the fender lining needs to be pulled back.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Does bumper need to be removed?
No, just remove wheel and inner fender bolts. It was that way on my '05, and '07.

Will a CAI hurt the engine?
IMO, the jury is still out on that one. I asked K&N because I was concerned about the intake of road salt here in Ohio. It's pretty fine shit. They ignored my question, but they recently made available a foam cell filter that fits over the cone filter on my CAI. They state in the instructions that it is for "dusty" environments, and it needs to be lightly oiled to work properly. They also state that it only has a 5% reduction in airflow.
I put one on just for piece of mind. Makes me wonder about long life from an engine with a CAI, though
Old 02-10-2008, 12:24 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by S2000 GUY
ha... I'll bet it's still there.

It only holds on a small piece of tubing maybe 6" long...
I am glad I am not the only one who had this problem! There is a bolt underneath the battery case that holds the OEM inlet air tube...atleast on my 08 Type S. The bolt is facing the ground, so a little hard to reach, but defininitely reachable.

Getting ready to put my front bumper back on, so hopefully everything goes okay!

Those videos saved my life!!! Installed a throttle body spacer and AEM Intake both...and I am about as far as you can get from an auto mechanic... Thank you so much San Diego!!! Next step will probably be pulleys...if you feel like putting a video together, I might attempt that myself as well

This is an unbelievable forum! Huge bonus for Acura owners!
Old 02-10-2008, 06:58 AM
Back after 1 Year!

Originally Posted by CBPType-S08
I am glad I am not the only one who had this problem! There is a bolt underneath the battery case that holds the OEM inlet air tube...atleast on my 08 Type S. The bolt is facing the ground, so a little hard to reach, but defininitely reachable.

Getting ready to put my front bumper back on, so hopefully everything goes okay!

Those videos saved my life!!! Installed a throttle body spacer and AEM Intake both...and I am about as far as you can get from an auto mechanic... Thank you so much San Diego!!! Next step will probably be pulleys...if you feel like putting a video together, I might attempt that myself as well

This is an unbelievable forum! Huge bonus for Acura owners!
Glad to hear it helped you out

I've been busy, but still looking forward to making more DIY videos in the very near future.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Advanced

When looking at mounting the IAT sensor on the intake instead of the throttle body, I found that the plug bolt would not fit into the spot on the throttle body since it is not grooved. Is there another way around this. Does it definitely have to be plugged?
Old 02-21-2008, 03:46 AM
Instructor

Great Video!! Whos the make of your intake? AEM? Injen? I cant seem to find a black intake anywhere...
Old 02-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Racer

nice post thanks!
Old 02-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 99vtecaccord
Great Video!! Whos the make of your intake? AEM? Injen? I cant seem to find a black intake anywhere...
Go to www.excelerateperformance.com
Go to Acura TL's, and they'll be waitng for you.

Quick Reply: DIY Video: Uninstalling OEM Intake & Installing Cold Air Intake 3G Garage #B-001