Sponsored by:

DIY Spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 08:23 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DIY Spark plugs

Hi,
I just got new NGK spark plugs b/c of some hesitated startings over the last few days. But when I opened the hood, I didn't see the plugs. I did notice 4 plugs (or something that looks like them) that may be spark plugs but the TL is suppose to have 2 more. I am probably loking in the wrong place. Any images/pics will be helpful.
THanks.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

the link above shows the coils which have to be removed inorder to access the spark plugs. the coils are located both on the front valve cover and rear valve cover. you will see the oil cap in the picture to give youi an idea where they are. just remove ht screws for the coils and the wire plugs and pull ciol straight out. then use and extension and spark plug puller. hope this helps!
Old 09-21-2006, 08:50 AM
Instructor

Thanks blktl.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by blktl1
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

the link above shows the coils which have to be removed inorder to access the spark plugs. the coils are located both on the front valve cover and rear valve cover. you will see the oil cap in the picture to give youi an idea where they are. just remove ht screws for the coils and the wire plugs and pull ciol straight out. then use and extension and spark plug puller. hope this helps!
Inthe 04,3 of the plugs are right in front, but can't seem to find the next 3. There is nothing under the metal plate stamped with vtec or acura tl it says.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dips009
Inthe 04,3 of the plugs are right in front, but can't seem to find the next 3. There is nothing under the metal plate stamped with vtec or acura tl it says.
they are not located under the intake manifold. you have to look all the way in the rear of the engine compartement under the tower strut bar. you will see the same coil plugs but these are a little more difficult to reach. I would remove the tower strut bar if its your first time due to space issues! Let me know if you have any more problems
Old 09-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ummm...perhaps you should think twice about changing these yourself? Have you gapped them correctly? Make sure to use anti-seize on the threads, and DONT cross thread one, or you will be in for a bunch of trouble.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you have a 100k on your car already?
Old 09-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't wait 100K for a plug change. I don't know the specific makeup for the TL's plugs, but I know in many of the domestics that claim a 100K deal use platinums. The Grand Am I had burned those platinums pretty well by 40K. Granted, they were still more than useable, but the NGK's I replaced them with were quite nice, especially at WOT.

I've been lazy, but I've got a set of Denso iridiums for my 04 TL ready to go whenever I get off my ass to do it. :P

edit:

Chester's right though... do NOT mess up the threading. If you've never done a set before, be damn careful. The anti-sieze is great, especially the next time around, too, btw.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:33 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Korriguine

Chester's right though... do NOT mess up the threading. If you've never done a set before, be damn careful. The anti-sieze is great, especially the next time around, too, btw.

Very true!

When changing plugs on aluminum heads, always thread the plugs by hand then use your ratchet etc.. Utilizing a torque wrench is also a great idea... I myself tend to over-tighten otherwise..

Ive never looked but are the TL plugs tapered or do they use a crush washer etc.?
Old 09-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
This is one of the things I like about what GM does with their transverse mounted engines... On the dogbone enginemount on the front of the engine, you can remove the bolt, tilt the engine forward about 10 degrees, and put the bolt back in to hold the engine. That way you have more room to reach the back 3 plugs.

And yes, DO NOT cross thread or overtighten the plugs. And a worde of advice.... When you remove the plugs, use a socket plug that has the little thimble looking thing at the end that grabs the socket by the tip. DO NOT get the kind that uses a little rubber tube to grasp the socket. I helped a friend with one of those where the tube thingy came off, and got stuck on his spark plug while still in the head. It took about 3 hours to fiddle with the thing and remove the one spark plug, because the tube thing wiggled its way ontop of the hex nut thing, so that the socket could no longer turn the spark plug, which was still fully tightened.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:08 PM
Instructor

Thanks for all the good advice. I chnaged the front 3 pretty easily. I'll need alot more time to get the back 3 plugs.

The car doesnot start on the first try so I am chnaging the plugs hopeing it will fix it. I have a CAI so I am kinda hesitant taking it to the dealer b/c of warranty issues. But most of all, I am hopiung its a bad tank of gas.. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by dips009
But most of all, I am hopiung its a bad tank of gas.. Thanks.
I had similar problems wiht our TL. It used to randomly hesitate on acceleration. I threw in a bottle of techron, and stopped buying gas at the local grocery store (which I hadn't had problems with on my other cars, both of which also require premium), and the problem went away.

It's nothing but Chevron for my TL now... Unless I'm running on fumes, and need to go to the Shell station near my house....