Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Rockblocker *Paint Protection* TL/TL-S install testimonials

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to get an idea how hard RB is to install and get it right. Seems like there's money to be saved if it can be done right.

If people could share there install experience, that would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2007, 10:23 AM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Probably one of the easiest things ever. and WELL worth the effort. Takes a maximum of twenty minutes but I say you take your time to perfect it and hold it up so it fits nicely. Oh and don't settle for the cheaper eBay ones.

Good luck
Old 09-12-2007, 10:46 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
It is very very easy to do. I have done several of them and they are all easy....

One trick is to use a hair dryer while you are installing to heat up the plastic... makes it stretch and apply better....

I have a BRAND NEW NEVER OPENED RB rear taillight set for sale in the BM... Let me know if you are interested!!
Old 09-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 478 Likes on 129 Posts
are you wanting experiences on the tail/headlight protection or the paint protection?
Old 09-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
I thought they were a PITA to install. Definately use a hair dryer over a heat gun. A heat gun is to much heat to quickly ( it actually melted the blue applicator tool). They weren't cut perfect, so they had to be trimmed after the install. It seemed every little flaw showed up. Although many of them did disappear after a couple of days. Also their directions say to install them dry, but soapy water makes it easier to eliminate air bubbles. They do look awesome when done though, and I love the look on my car.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:17 PM
steeez

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
haha easy??? really? it was pretty hard for me.. i spent about an hour or more installing the tails, and it didnt even come out right. next day im noticing all of these bubbles and what not.. but then i re-did it and i got it right. after really getting the gist of it, installing the headlight tints was a breeze..
Old 09-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SaaBaaDoo
are you wanting experiences on the tail/headlight protection or the paint protection?
Good point! I was looking for the paint protection.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by A SiQ TL
I thought they were a PITA to install. Definately use a hair dryer over a heat gun. A heat gun is to much heat to quickly ( it actually melted the blue applicator tool). They weren't cut perfect, so they had to be trimmed after the install. It seemed every little flaw showed up. Although many of them did disappear after a couple of days. Also their directions say to install them dry, but soapy water makes it easier to eliminate air bubbles. They do look awesome when done though, and I love the look on my car.
When you say flaws, are you saying flaw in the clear bra, or flaws in the cars paint?
Old 09-12-2007, 08:19 PM
How may I help you.....?

Originally Posted by ReD-BaRoN
Good point! I was looking for the paint protection.
Well, thats a WHOLE different story...

I actually called RB and asked about how hard it was to do the paint protection kit myself... They said it was alot harder than doing the tail tint. They recommended that I just buy thier material and have a shop do it for me....

Good luck man... If you decide to do this, please take some p[ics and do a good write-up so we can put it into the 3G Garage... Then other members can "take the plunge" and do the kit themselves..

J
Old 09-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts
i installed RB's in 15 min... i don't get why they're so hard ...?
Old 09-12-2007, 08:31 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by bforbrian
i installed RB's in 15 min... i don't get why they're so hard ...?

Haha i just found out he means the paint protection.

Which is a WHOLE different story
Old 09-13-2007, 01:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
Originally Posted by ReD-BaRoN
When you say flaws, are you saying flaw in the clear bra, or flaws in the cars paint?

Disregard. I thought you were talking about the taillight tint also. Based on installing the taillight tint , I would pay somebody to do the paint protection.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:35 AM
Instructor

I screwed with my previous post regarding RB installs, and failed to mention I was looking for DIY paint protection install testimonials.

Anyone got any feedback on this process?

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2007, 09:44 AM
How may I help you.....?

Good thread... gonna watch this one closely as I want to do this...

Also, I asked RB and they said that even the premium package that they sell does NOT cover the grill section. SO if you have a custom grill or even the stock silver grill, you would still need to find an installer who could custom cut the pieces to cover the grill...
Old 09-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah guys, let me tell you - Clearbras are NOT an easy install!

This is why there're so expensive versus other film installation. And any mistake you make is magnified once its dry. Please see my other comments in the other recent related thread.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:41 AM
Burning Brakes

my full paint protection kit showed up yesterday from RB. I bought it at the sale price from last week so if I mess it up I won't feel too terribly about it. It's definitely a good kit from what I can tell so far! I'll probably start the install process sometime next week. I did vinyl vehicle graphics for a couple years at my last job so I think that experience helps out a lot.

I'm really interested to see how the computer cut material is to install. Back when I had my mazda I bought a roll of 24"x8' uncut 3M material and applied. That was a MAJOR pain in the ass! A lot of time was spent trimming with an xacto knife. The next day I had a rock hit the corner of my bumper and put a slice in the material, paint was fine though
Old 09-14-2007, 08:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SaaBaaDoo
my full paint protection kit showed up yesterday from RB. I bought it at the sale price from last week so if I mess it up I won't feel too terribly about it. It's definitely a good kit from what I can tell so far! I'll probably start the install process sometime next week. I did vinyl vehicle graphics for a couple years at my last job so I think that experience helps out a lot.

I'm really interested to see how the computer cut material is to install. Back when I had my mazda I bought a roll of 24"x8' uncut 3M material and applied. That was a MAJOR pain in the ass! A lot of time was spent trimming with an xacto knife. The next day I had a rock hit the corner of my bumper and put a slice in the material, paint was fine though
Please let us know how it goes. Pictures would be great! Good luck!
Old 09-14-2007, 09:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
I'll merge both threads for ya. Next time just repost in your existing thread
Old 09-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Burning Brakes

just got done installing the bumper portion of the clear bra. What a fucking pain in the ass! I got so pissed I wanted to rip it off multiple times. I have a WDP so the imperfections don't show AS much. I got it the kit at the discounted rate and that is really the ONLY reason I decided to install myself. Maybe I'll have it redone professionally in a year or so.

Piece of advice, have it done by a PROFESSIONAL INSTALLER and keep your sanity!!!

On the other hand, the RB kit is a very nice kit. Computer cut is great, looks a little weird when you put it up to the car, but you have to keep in mind that the stuff stretches.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

man DIY? when I was researching this issue about 2 months ago, everyone told me to have it done by a professional. So I did, and would advise the same of anyone comtemplating the idea. I took it to a guy to was suggested by the Acura, BMW, and Ferrari dealership in the area, he does all their cars, and I could not be more satisfied. It took him 3 hours to install, and he said it is a 2 man job. To all those to did it themselves, well done.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jeowen
man DIY? when I was researching this issue about 2 months ago, everyone told me to have it done by a professional. So I did, and would advise the same of anyone comtemplating the idea. I took it to a guy to was suggested by the Acura, BMW, and Ferrari dealership in the area, he does all their cars, and I could not be more satisfied. It took him 3 hours to install, and he said it is a 2 man job. To all those to did it themselves, well done.
I have finally done all the research (thanks to this great forum) and I will not be doing it myself. I don't have the time, patience or skill to do it properly the first time.

I have mine scheduled for Friday 9/28. Now I have to fix up all my nicks before it goes on!

For those in the MA area, I'm going to get it done at Tint King (www.tint-king.com). From everything I've read on these forums and in talking to the ower, they are well respected. They are currently recommending the current gen Ventureshield (they admit that the older gen ventureshield wasn't perfect), so that's what I'm getting. 5 bills for full pattern installed. You can see the pattern they use at www.invisiblepatterns.com. I believe the hood goes up 18.5 inches.

While I'm there I'm also getting 35% tint all the way around ($250)! I'm psyched.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

sounds great!! I really enjoy the peace of mind that it brings, as if it were a forcefield